• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

I'll be seeing it Friday or Saturday opening weekend.

I feel like if it is trending 40 million that word of mouth will ultimately push it above 100 million. How much higher I am not sure.

Overseas is what I am also really curious about.

It'll be huge just because the Mad Max brand was more popular over seas and still is thanks to petrol heads and fans creating replicas.

In Sydney next Wednesday on May 13th for the premiere they're having a road event. They're going to drive the main vehicles from the movie including Max's Interceptor, Nux's rat rod, Gigahorse, Doof Wagon and the War Rig down George St to the Sydney Opera house along with actors dressed up in full costume. Then for a week they'll be stationed there so fans and the public and get up close for photos and video along with the stunt guys there to talk about the rigs..

Not sure if it has been asked, but how much did the trailers show in relation to the great scenes.

I haven't seen the newest trailer.

They do show a lot but there's a lot more they don't show including a awesome band of characters you don't know or have heard about yet!

Jonm1010

Banned
It'll be huge just because the Mad Max brand was more popular over seas and still is thanks to petrol heads and fans creating replicas.

In Sydney next Wednesday on May 13th for the premiere they're having a road event. They're going to drive the main vehicles from the movie including Max's Interceptor, Nux's rat rod, Gigahorse, Doof Wagon and the War Rig down George St to the Sydney Opera house. Then for a week they'll be stationed their so fans and the public and get up close for photos and video.

They do show a lot but there's a lot more they don't show including a awesome band of characters you don't know or have heard about yet!

More good news to hear. I feel like this is the opposite of the Dredd release. Where hype was low, fans were suspect, momentum was trending away and the foreign market all but ignored it.

Then again the marketing for Dredd was godawful whereas this seems to be almost perfect.

Simo

More good news to hear. I feel like this is the opposite of the Dredd release. Where hype was low, fans were suspect, momentum was trending away and the foreign market all but ignored it.

Then again the marketing for Dredd was godawful whereas this seems to be almost perfect.

Dredd though..I mean it's a popular comic and character in England but thats it really and for everyone else their impressions were tainted by the Stallone version to the extent people thought Dredd was a remake of that. lol

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Who's willing to bet that Warner Bros. will edit down the violence for the Chinese release to get a bigger piece of that pie?

They are gonna release it in China, right?

zma1013

Wait so this is limited Imax release? Is that right? Why is it not in every Imax? Apparently not showing in any Imax in PA?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I am personally bringing 12 other people with me to the theater next weekend.

tumblr_n1xhtxM6ye1sr9u4xo1_500.gif

LET'S GOOOOOO!

Jonm1010

Banned
Dredd though..I mean it's a popular comic and character in England but thats it really and for everyone else their impressions were tainted by the Stallone version to the extent people thought Dredd was a remake of that. lol

Well I get that, but the whole Dredd 3D!! marketing made it come off really cheesy and even fans of the comics were worried.

It looked almost indistinguishable from the numerous IN 3D!! focused trailers used on shitty movies to cover up for how poor it was gonna be. It made it worse because it was done at the tail end of that Avatar influenced marketing period where the public had started to respond poorly to that type of pitch.

Then they completely hid the strong female aspect to the film that I think really could of helped sell the film to other demographics like I think Mad Max is doing.

The first long trailer my girlfriend was like "Charlize Theron looks so badass! we need to go see that!!"

zma1013

IMAX overseas, Avengers has that stuff on lockdown in the US.

Well I called the Imax I go to and the phone answering guy said he thinks it will be in Imax. I'm not so sure. I mean, they are showing it there for sure in some form, but the tickets through Imax don't specifically say Imax so I'm worried.

Simo

Visually striking but...we kind of go in to spoiler territory here so without saying much I have a feeling some of Immortan Joe's scene ended up on the cutting floor. There are a few shots/scenes of him in the trailers not present in the final film.

That said..yeah hard to go in to detail about him without the black bars but I was surprised by Joe.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Visually striking but...we kind of go in to spoiler territory here so without saying much I have a feeling some of Immortan Joe's scene ended up on the cutting floor. There are a few shots/scenes of him in the trailers not present in the final film.

That said..yeah hard to go in to detail about him without the black bars but I was surprised by Joe.
I'm really hoping we get that (2 and a half hour?) extended cut on video.

Foggy

Australian genre icon, Brian Trenchard-Smith(Man From Hong Kong, Turkey Shoot, Siege of Firebase Gloria), posted his feelings on his Facebook

MAD MAX - FURY ROAD is a masterpiece of kinetic action and screen dynamics that will be hard to top. The audience at last night's premiere frequently roared their approval. I've known George Miller since Mad Max 1 (1977), when he hired Grant Page, Australia's pioneer stuntman, who's career I managed in those days. George's signature low angle pulse pounding mount shots and wide angle tableaux bursting with complex action choreography reaches its zenith in Fury Road. He uses very little CGI, more for enhancement than creating the impossible as per the current crop of soulless superhero movies. In Fury Road, you know the colliding flipping vehicular mayhem is REAL! In the close quarter combat scenes, he avoids the style du jour - a disjunctive blizzard of tight shots - in favor of giving the audience the geography of the fight, so the tight shots have more relevance and impact when they come. Again, making it REAL. All aided by the superb photography of John Seale, (another old friend - BMX Bandits) who came out of retirement and shot digital for the first time. And what a feast for the eye he delivers. Amazing stunt choreography by 2nd Unit director Guy Norris ( also an old friend - Dead End Drive In) All in all, Fury Road is another triumph of Australian Cinema craftsmanship. We were guests of old friends Hugh Keays-Bryne & Christina Ferguson. Hugh played undercover narc Morrie Grosse in my Man From Hong Kong in '74. Then the Toe Cutter in Mad Max 1. Here he excels as the warlord Imortan Joe, providing a worthy opponent to Max and Imperator Furiosa. Actually Imperatrix would be correct Latin, but that's my only nit pick on Fury Road...

CAN'T WAIT!

Senoculum

Sounds like George Miller went all out! All the buzz is positive; but not in the hackneyed, "yeah, it was good" kind of way, but in the "next level shit that's hard to top" kind of way. And thanks to the advance screening link in the OP, I totally applied to a few contests! Awesome.

Got screening passes to see this on Wednesday, fuck yeah

Also gonna watch with friends on opening weekend tho

That's a really nice poster

Got screening passes to see this on Wednesday, fuck yeah

Also gonna watch with friends on opening weekend tho

That's a really nice poster

I -really- hope I can make that screening in Philly on Monday. I'm gonna try and move heaven and earth to make it happen. I need dis

I just found out some English girl I used to date went to the premiere of this because her friend Tom Hardy is starring in it.

I've been kicking myself all fucking day about ending of FWB relationship and not up grading it to real life dating. :(

hopefully. shout out to simo for the link in the OP, that's how I won my pass

Yeah, Advanced Screenings is awesome. Since I live in Philly, there's a whole assload of advanced screenings I can just pop into whenever I want. And yet I still pay to see a ton of goddamn movies. Sometimes the convenience is worth the money.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
fiance only, but will almost certainly go a second time with at least three friends so we can foam at Charlize and be fucking trivial about it!

So I just finished watching all 3 of the original movies for the first time, and god damn Beyond Thunderdome is such shit compared to the first 2 movies. Tina Turner was an awful villain. MasterBlaster was cool but gone way too quick. Mad Max and The Road Warrior were awesome. Great villains and action, love the setting.

Top Bottom