• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I never saw the OG movies (Will be changing that within the next week or so), I'm guessing this was in the OG movies, but can someone explain
the silver stuff they sprayed in their mouth?

Not in the original movies at all, the war boys and the clans of this movie are specific to this movie alone.
Think about the war boys, they worship cars, make the sign of the V8, hold up steering wheels etc, it was them taking on a chrome grill, to become carlike in their moment of glory.

Simo

I never saw the OG movies (Will be changing that within the next week or so), I'm guessing this was in the OG movies, but can someone explain
the silver stuff they sprayed in their mouth?

The War Boys worship cars and engines to the extent they want to be them. It's why they have engine blocks marked on their skins and make the prayer sign of a V8.
Spraying their mouths and becoming "CHROME" is like their final transformation to becoming that reality before ascending to Valhalla.

The mentality starts when they're children, or War Pups, where they're trained to be mechanics before they're teens where they become lancers and eventually, hopefully, drivers.

Turn the intensity to max and hold on as best you can.

Wait, you can control that on the seats?! Never used them before so no idea what to expect.

Mad max just made 16 million dollars at the box office on friday..i knew it would be low but this?

it's not really all that low, actually.

I mean, it's been said a couple times in this thread already, but it's a pseudo-sequel-reboot-ish thing to a film series that last had an entry 30 years ago, with a completely different actor as the main character, in a really weird and kinda-off-putting universe, carrying an R-rating.

16 mil on Friday ain't bad.

kamo

The movies are mostly standalone.
It's chrome paint

Not in the original movies at all, the war boys and the clans of this movie are specific to this movie alone.
Think about the war boys, they worship cars, make the sign of the V8, hold up steering wheels etc, it was them taking on a chrome grill, to become carlike in their moment of glory.

The War Boys worship cars and engines to the extent they want to be them. It's why they have engine blocks marked on their skins and make the prayer sign of a V8.
Spraying their mouths and becoming "CHROME" is like their final transformation to becoming that reality before ascending to Valhalla.

The mentality starts when their children, or War Pups, where they're trained to be mechanics before their teens where they become lancers and eventually, hopefully, drivers.

Wait, you can control that on the seats?! Never used them before so no idea what to expect.

Makes sense. Thanks for the input!

Lebron

Yup, there's a control box on the side where you can adjust it. There's one sequence where it got really intense to the point I almost thought of turning it down, but was too caught up to actually reach for it lol.

Carbonox

it's not really all that low, actually.

I mean, it's been said a couple times in this thread already, but it's a pseudo-sequel-reboot-ish thing to a film series that last had an entry 30 years ago, with a completely different actor as the main character, in a really weird and kinda-off-putting universe, carrying an R-rating.

16 mil on Friday ain't bad.

$130m WW for its first weekend leads me to believe - pray really - that it will do the bare minimum required once all is said and done to get the next one given the go ahead.

I really really pray that will be the case but I'm no box office expert.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hopefully word of mouth will give it some legs. Everyone seeing it seems bent on loving it, rightly so.

I really need to see it a second time.

denx

Ok, thinking about it I actually felt pretty "meh" about most of the movie, except the final chase sequence which was insanely good. But apart from that, errmmm...

Also guitar guy was stupid as fuck. Everytime he appeared I was taken out of the movie, thinking of just how stupid that guy was even for an over-the-top movie like this.

Anung

Un Rama
Just back from this and wow. Just wow. A big beautiful action packed dumb film and all the better for it. I have no idea how he got it greenlit as it is the most bizarre big budgeted film I have ever seen. It's like if someone made a dumb B-movie with a hundred million dollar budget. Exhausting in the best way. Charlize stole the show.

Ironically the most developed character was the
weird guitar freak who got loads of screen time ;)

EDIT: A few people walked out of the cinema :lol: What the hell were they expecting?

They thought the product would be stepped on, like a lot of action movies. Cut with baby powder and powdered sugar.

They weren't ready for the uncut raw.

Are YOU ready for this shit, Bobby

You've seen all the hype in here, but you're smart enough to be immune to most of it. That being said, THIS MOVIE IS CARNAGE

This is the first film I've been to in a while where the audience didn't yell or laugh during the lulls in action. Just dead silence, like we'd all been emotionally drained. Even at the end, all you could hear during the final quote was a couple people nervously laughing, as if they were expecting one last chase.

It was so good.

kris.

Banned
This is the first film I've been to in a while where the audience didn't yell or laugh during the lulls in action. Just dead silence, like we'd all been emotionally drained. Even at the end, all you could hear during the final quote was a couple people nervously laughing, as if they were expecting one last chase.

It was so good.

There was a fair bit at the beginning in my theater but as the movie went on, it got dead quiet.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Ok, thinking about it I actually felt pretty "meh" about most of the movie, except the final chase sequence which was insanely good. But apart from that, errmmm...

Also guitar guy was stupid as fuck. Everytime he appeared I was taken out of the movie, thinking of just how stupid that guy was even for an over-the-top movie like this.

Don't talk shit about Doof Warrior! He was a post apocalyptic drummer boy.

Guitar-FuryRoad.gif

Lmao what? Guitar guy is like the cherry on this movie's sundae.

Metal-Geo

A little description of Coma the Doof Warrior's Doof Wagon.
Every army has a little drummer boy, to keep the beat and stir the heart, and the war boys of the wasteland are no exception. Here, mounted drummers pound a taiko beat on huge resonators built of aircon duct, while Coma the Doof Warrior, blind and disfigured, slung in a web of bungy and spread-eagled before a stack of speakers, hurtles across the desert landscape on a repurposed 8 x 8 m.a.n. missile-carrier. The wail of the banshee, the distorted lick and demented, driving bass, the call to arms and the baying for blood, all music to the ears and grist to the mill, a symphony, a song, a single scream, the soundtrack to the end of civilisation. But we go out dancing...
From Vehicle Showcase.

I saw this with my wife last night and she didn't know what it was about. I showed her a trailer of the movie before we went to go see it and said, "this movie looks dumb and pointless."

I told her it got good reviews from critics and users, she said," You said that about Gravity and that movie sucked!" Well, after watching the movie last night... I think she was more blown away than I was. I've never heard her say, "that movie was really good" 3 times before; seriously, she literally said that 3 times.

Vidpixel

There was a fair bit at the beginning in my theater but as the movie went on, it got dead quiet.

Interesting, it was pretty much the complete opposite for the theater I was in. Everyone was pretty much dead silent in the beginning, but towards the end and during the final action sequence, everyone was clapping, laughing, and cheering.

I saw this with my wife last night and she didn't know what it was about. I showed her a trailer of the movie before we went to go see it and said, "this movie looks dumb and pointless."

I told her it got good reviews from critics and users, she said," You said that about Gravity and that movie sucked!" Well, after watching the movie last night... I think she was more blown away than I was. I've never heard her say, "that movie was really good" 3 times before; seriously, she literally said that 3 times.

Wut

Gravity sucked? I didn't get the memo.

dhonk

I went to my local theater. Put up with literally 40 minutes of previews. (Movie was set for 4:00, movie started at 4:40.)

The audio was fucking weak, it took out all impact. It felt like it was coming out of 2 speakers and there was no bass. I lasted 10 minutes before I walked out and got my money back.

Fuck.

Melchior

Movie was fucking awesome. Though it was a bummer listening to this guy with his gf/wife sit there and commentate the entire fucking time. For instance when they were shooting the signal flares he went "OH LOOK THERE THEY ARE" every time it happened. I'll probably see it again. hopefully without some dumbass talking throughout the movie.

Jarrod38

Movie was fucking awesome. Though it was a bummer listening to this guy with his gf/wife sit there and commentate the entire fucking time. For instance when they were shooting the signal flares he went "OH LOOK THERE THEY ARE" every time it happened. I'll probably see it again. hopefully without some dumbass talking throughout the movie.

That is when you get the usher involved. Dicks who talk through a movie are dicks.

ValfarHL

My cinema fucked up with listing todays showing in 2d when I bought the tickets two weeks ago. The movie was actually showed in 3d. Had to buy glasses for me and the gf. I am mad. How much better does it look in 2d?

:(

Some scenes had me tensed up like a pregnant woman giving birth. What a ride! Mixing the guitar guy into the soundtrack was brilliant. I had shivers every time he played his flamethrower, hah.

Will watch again, asap!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I fucking loved this movie (did a short review here), it was an amazing audio-visual experience and I didn't even see it in IMAX (might have to make an exception and see it again). But what I loved most was its show don't tell theme. It was just so beautifully done and wounded into the narrative so naturally. I really hope we get to see more.

Also, was does an R rating mean in America? It's a 15 here in UK.

I fucking loved this movie (did a short review here), it was an amazing audio-visual experience and I didn't even see it in IMAX (might have to make an exception and see it again). But what I loved most was its show don't tell theme. It was just so beautifully done and wounded into the narrative so naturally. I really hope we get to see more.

Also, was does an R rating mean in America? It's a 15 here in UK.

R is 17

Yep, so it looked amazing, the action was amazing, the characters pretty cool, the guitar guy was amazing. Really enjoyed it. Not sure if I'm tempted to see it again though, it was enough for me.

Top Bottom