• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

jett

D-Member
I present to you one of the best piece of action scores I've heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

After 3 minutes it gets epic. This whole scene was a rush. What a movie. I want to go again lol.

EDIT: Guitar Guy was fucking excellent.

I thought I wasn't going to like JunkieXL's soundtrack, but it was really great. He comes from the Hans Zimmer Musical School, majoring in Loud Strings and Even Louder Drums, but everything works perfectly for the film. I honestly can't stop listening to Brothers in Arms.

Mad Max was the dopest thing I've seen in years.

You obviously made a mistake, so I fixed it for you.

Bob White

Don't talk shit about Doof Warrior! He was a post apocalyptic drummer boy.

Guitar-FuryRoad.gif

Shiny and Chrome

Ah okay, thanks. Someone else mentioned earlier they were in a cinema with kids. Is an R rating a situation where you can take kids in if you're okay with them seeing it. Like, it's a caution more than a rule?

Yep. R rating is you need a parent or someone older to be with you to get in. NC-17 is no entry under 17.

Damn this movie is fantastic. I'll echo what others were saying the action was so intense and never ending that it will completely quiet even during moments you would normally expect oohs or laughter.

CD'S BAR

This was a great action movie but it;s not really more than an action movie. I was hoping for more story and while there were some really nice slow non-racing parts, they didn't really feel satisfying because of the minimal dialogue and character development.

I would see it again for sure but not right away.

Nibel

I still can't believe what I saw today. I'll be honest: seeing those high scores on websites like RT and Metacritic and reading all those positive impressions from Gaffers and professional reviewers was shocking me, but after movies like Gravity and a few others I've become very cautious and was still very skeptical towards this. Heck, I even watched the first two movies just two days ago and thought they were incredible despite their age and still was not sure how to approach this.

Because let's face it: modern-day action movies have been boring for a long-ass time now. I'm not saying that these movies aren't fun though; I liked Kingsman and the Fast and Furious movies. I like most of the superhero movies. James Bond movies look nice. John Wick was a pleasant surprise and both Raid movies have potential to be cult classics a few years down the line. But then there are the Luc Bessons, the Michael Bays, the Liam Nessons and another bunch of seemingly yearly released movies that mud the waters. Movies that may attempt to push boundaries but fail miserably.

And now comes a movie from a 70-year old director that is kinda a sequel and kinda a reboot and kinda something new with a script that has been in the oven for decades and production that was in the news for a number of issues. A movie that by being released between blockbusters such as Age Of Ultron and Jurassic World feels like a old-ass relic between these super shiny super-mustang-magnum-franchises.

Mad Max: Fury Road is probably the best action movie of this decade. This is a movie that made me feel scammed by all those directors mentioned above while watching it. This is the next level, the logical evolution of the genre after the other milestones of the genre. Fury Road is one of them, it belongs in the same realm of those movies that nobody dares to compare anything with. Raiders Of The Lost Arc, Die Hard ,Terminator 2, Die Hard, Matrix, Dark Knight, Fury Road. This is the kind of level we are talking now.

I watched it and thought all the time: how? How did they pull off the action sequences that are pretty much unparalleled in what they do? Instead of focusing on a very few aspects of action, this movie has car chases, hand-to-hand combat, shootings, explosions and all kinds of available action-types and then some; and it masters each of this category with ease. Those cars - or we should say vehicles because there's some crazy shit out there - sound like they are fueled by Satan's piss and have been around for thousand of years, you can feel their impact on sand, rocks and other territorial conditions. Melee combat feels rough and authentic; every punch carries weight and despite the setting nobody punches like a superhero or whatever. The gun combat is just as exciting, if not even more than the melee stuff: all kinds of guns are being fired and instead of editing dozens of scenes after each other showing people just shooting without hitting anything even the dumbest grunts can land critical hits that can cause damage to the protagonists. And despite that the universe stays true to itself and never forgets its rules of ammo shortage and weapons being inaccurate due build quality.

This is the full package. Car stunts that leave you breathless; explosions and firestorms that intertwine into pure mass of destructions that shatters everything in its way; bullets and blades that actually leave their mark on their world and change the way characters have to behave in heated situations. Action that is well edited, that never lets you lose sight of it and that manages to give you a feeling for the placement of everything. Seeing all of this madness unfold in front of your eyes is a sight that to me was unlike anything else I've experienced from the action cinema and something that fills me with confidence when saying that this isn't just entertainment at its best - this is actual 'Best Director of the year' material. It takes a special set of abilities to pull all that shit off.

And it doesn't even stop there! There is the worldbuilding and storytelling, and people saying 'uh it's just a huge car chase' or 'the plot is thin' are really underselling it. This is easily one of the best realized worlds in cinema, period. This is a different place than our earth and it shows this every single second. When does a movie grab you and take you to a different place? Fury Road does this with costumes, with props, with characters so insane you won't believe it; and this is an important aspect of the movie. This is not just 'oh hey that car jumps from one tower into the next' insane, but pure human insanity. The people in Mad Max have their own culture, their own traditions and opinions on life and death. They have their own set of values and things they look up to and things they look down to. Even that ridiculous guy with the guitar makes sense if you understand why he's necessary. And all of this information is not being transmitted by a long exposition arc but by short lines of dialogues in-between the action and by their actions. It's like you are playing a RPG and fill up that codex in your head with informations almost every minute and the more and more information you have the more you understand not only the cruelty of the world in Fury Road but the motivations of the characters. I've never seen a movie doing parts of its characterizations with the help of world-building.

And the plot itself works because everything that happens has a fucking logical purpose. There is a reason why right at the beginning Max is being captured; that is not because of 'oh hey he's Mad Max, the badass road warrior that is a legend man' and all that shit, no: the real reason of why that happens to him is terrifying. The reason why Furiosa does what she does is terrifying. There is a reason why they drive to a certain location or why there are characters with changing motives. This is not a plot trying to be deep for the sake of being deep like every fucking Oscar nominee does; this is a plot trying to be authentic which is why it works without questioning it. You can break down the plot and be disappointed with it, but this is the same as not eating pizza because it is made of dough, mashed tomatoes and cheese.

Tom Hardy's Max is a traumatized psycho and while I really enjoyed performance, it really is Theron stealing the show here. To me, Furiosa is the best female action hero since Ellen Ripley from Alien/s. The sequel focusing on her makes me really happy and shows that Miller clearly understands what he's got here.

There are people able to articulate this movie's strengths better than I do and this probably reads like I've thrown shit all over the place, but let me tell you this: right after the movie was over, I was seriously considering going to the next showing. I fucking loved it and didn't expect to love it so much. We have been blessed with a true action movie classic and everybody should give this at least a shot. Just incredible. Incredible, incredible, incredible.

SkylineRKR

Mad Max: Fury Road is probably the best action movie of this decade. This is a movie that made me feel scammed by all those directors mentioned above while watching it. This is the next level, the logical evolution of the genre after the other milestones of the genre. Fury Road is one of them, it belongs in the same realm of those movies that nobody dares to compare anything with. Raiders Of The Lost Arc, Die Hard ,Terminator 2, Die Hard, Matrix, Dark Knight, Fury Road. This is the kind of level we are talking now.

Exactly.

Lots of action movies these days use an over abundance of CG. It doesn't feel and look raw and ultimately doesn't impress as much. I watched Furious 7 the day after and it paled in comparison. It was actually embarassing. I still enjoyed it, but all the chases and explosions didn't do it for me post MM. In a sense, MM spoiled me and its hard to go back to Besson drivel for a while.

In MM you could feel the bones breaking. I wondered how many people were actually injured on the set as their must be quite a few.

Fury Road absolutely belongs in that list and Theron's performance was one of her lifetime.

Nibel, you have convinced me to go see this film. I do not go to blockbusters often, but your certainty that it's in the company of Die Hard, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight etc. has convinced me to make it one of my exceptions.

Qassim

Just saw this today, I thought it was pretty good, definitely enjoyed it. The film had so much style and that's what made it for me.

I have to admit I actually wasn't motivated by the plot or really even any particular characters, but I'm totally okay with a film having the primary objective of providing great action and this film did that well.

kaskade

Seeing this tonight with the gf. She probably wouldn't have went to see it if it wasn't for me so I'm really curious how she's going to react. She probably wouldn't have cared if the reviews were a little more middling but she cant resist the 98% on RT.

Jimothy

Jake-Gyllenhaal-I-Dont-Think-So-Head-Nod-In-Source-Code.gif

mantidor

Another critique I had with the film is that none of the characters felt fleshed out at all. Done with purpose, but it hurt any sense of high stakes or sustained interest for me. Every character was so bland, save for perhaps the
bad white rider turned good dude. He had better character progression than the mains.

I disagree, they were very fleshed out. Maybe is that they weren't fleshed out by dialog but by visuals, but there is a backstory and development for each one of them.

I finally saw it today. Overall I thought it was great. Though to be honest, I preferred the first half over the second. I won't go into spoilers, but I really liked the world building going on in the first half of the movie, and the introduction to some of the factions. There were some great scenes when Max meets Furiosa for the first time.

To be honest, I feel like Tom Hardy was a take it or leave it addition to the cast. I understand that they needed a big name headliner to star in this movie, but I never really felt his presence in the movie as much as I did with Mel Gibson in the originals. Tom Hardy's Aussy accent was kind of weird too and took me out of the movie a bit. I feel like they should've hired a proper Australian actor for this role to replace Mel. But at the same time, it wasn't a buzzkill for me. Charlize Theron on the other hand was a real highlight in this movie. I found her character to be much more interesting than Max. Nicholas Hoult as Nux was there to add a bit of comedy relief to the movie in a way, and was a nice counter balance to Furiosa and Max. He also brought some nice energy to the movie, and his character is another major highlight. Hugh Keays-Byrne as Immortan Joe was really great and he sold me on the character.

The movie does leave some uneasy feelings in it with its new world order and opposing factions. George Miller and crew really crafted a disturbing world. But then again, it wouldn't be a Mad Max movie if these aspects weren't in place.

I do feel like the movie did run a bit too long though and it would've been nice if it had a shorter run time. But with the way the movie was filmed and storyboarded, it is hard to see what they could've cut out without ruining the pacing of certain scenes. Almost every shot in this movie looked incredibly good and George Miller managed to make the extreme colour palettes work incredibly well. I was worried that the overuse of colour grading would hurt this one, but it really didn't.

The stunts and action are all phenomenal, though to be honest I was hoping for a little more gore. But I can love with what is here.

Overall, it was worth the wait, and I think George Miller is in fine form as a director.

Another critique I had with the film is that none of the characters felt fleshed out at all. Done with purpose, but it hurt any sense of high stakes or sustained interest for me. Every character was so bland, save for perhaps the
bad white rider turned good dude. He had better character progression than the mains.

I disagree, they were very fleshed out. Maybe is that they weren't fleshed out by dialog but by visuals, but there is a backstory and development for each one of them.

This movie is extremely good at developing the world and characters by showing and not telling, and I think that aspect was amazing.

jett

D-Member
I just realized it.

Mad Max is the Terminator 2 of the 21st century. An action movie so fucking far beyond its peers you almost can't believe it.

But it's real.

You have to go back to 1991 to get on MM's level.

The hype is real.

Motherfuckers.

Tom Hardy being mad overlooked in here, he did exactly what I wanted him to do with this role.....approach it with a more silent and expressive performance. He says a lot with just his eyes and facial expressions. Dude convincingly sold a role of a man who's perhaps been too tested by the wasteland by this point

His frog-croak accent was kinda funny but you could also make a point that his voice is just fucked from not speaking much anyways. Gotta stretch those vocal chords

It's just Theron's furiosa is so damn good in here that she's making the rest look poorer than they actually are. Really liked hoult in here too btw

Jett knows what's up. I never expected a movie in this decade to ever earn its place amongst the action gods of the 80s and 90s but miller somehow pulled it off

Mobius 1

I just realized it.

Mad Max is the Terminator 2 of the 21st century. An action movie so fucking far beyond its peers you almost can't believe it.

But it's real.

You have to go back to 1991 to get on MM's level.

The hype is real.

Motherfuckers.

Very much so. I'm still rocked by the madness.

This movie is extremely good at developing the world and characters by showing and not telling, and I think that aspect was amazing.

I think the one thing that sticks out about Max in this movie is that his character doesn't really get enough time to sink in with the viewer like he did with the original trilogy. In the original trilogy, you saw him go from a family man to a former shell of himself to a ghost of a shell of himself in the course of three movie. This one, you only see small spurts of his past and he doesn't really give much away about himself because he had very little dialogue.

Miller could've made this a Max origin story and retreaded on his character story arc, but instead he didn't and Max took a back seat to two other characters instead. Max was more of a passenger to just carry you through this adventure than a character that they put focus on. Which is interesting to say the least.

Max and Furiosia's role reminded me of Dredd in a lot of ways. I hope Fury Road doesn't end up as overlooked as Dredd though. They both also spend little time explaining, Fury Road takes place on one highway, Dredd in one building.

Max and Furiosia's role reminded me of Dredd in a lot of ways. I hope Fury Road doesn't end up as overlooked as Dredd though. They both also spend little time explaining, Fury Road takes place on one highway, Dredd in one building.

It's already made more money than Dredd's entire domestic run.

edit: beaten by the Peff.

I love Dredd, and it makes me sad that I didn't get a sequel out of that.

I..might be good with no sequel on Mad Max. I'm not sure if I could handle another one on this level of fucking insanity

Peff

Geez, I didn't remember just how bad it was, it's basically 100% likely that MM will do more in one weekend in the US than Dredd worldwide ever.

I feel like I need to re-watch the entire film again at 50% speed to full appreciate everything that is going on in almost every single shot. I don't remember the last time I saw a film filled with so much creativity and utter lunacy.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just came back from watching it on D-Box, D-Box and this movie were made for each other. It was a really awesome experience.

I..might be good with no sequel on Mad Max. I'm not sure if I could handle another one on this level of fucking insanity

The other aspect is that, while all the problems on Fury Road were hellish, and mostly a pain in the ass- the fact it gave him like, EIGHT years of prep to have the film planned out to the nth degree appears to be a big part of why everything works the way it does.

He wouldn't have that with a sequel. And it's possible that would be reflected in the movie as well.

I know he's got two other scripts - but I want him to have two other full on storyboards, meticulously planned, every frame perfectly in place before they even rent a single camera. Because apparently you can't argue the results when he does.

I just want this movie to be a success so WB can give miller a "whatever the fuck he wants" pass for the rest of his career

He deserves it so much

The other aspect is that, while all the problems on Fury Road were hellish, and mostly a pain in the ass- the fact it gave him like, EIGHT years of prep to have the film planned out to the nth degree appears to be a big part of why everything works the way it does.

He wouldn't have that with a sequel. And it's possible that would be reflected in the movie as well.

I know he's got two other scripts - but I want him to have two other full on storyboards, meticulously planned, every frame perfectly in place before they even rent a single camera. Because apparently you can't argue the results when he does.

Yeah, I'm on that side too. I have faith in him, but oh Jesus Christ, you see the amount of care and time on every single frame here. All down to the last detail.

I just wish he could get the whole crew back together. If that happens, then let's fucking party

I just want this movie to be a success so WB can give miller a "whatever the fuck he wants" pass for the rest of his career

He deserves it so much

Shit, I think Fury Road WAS him using his 'whatever the fuck he wants' pass, it's the only explanation that he was able to get this shit.

And after seeing the Wachowski's get that shit for over 15 years, they need to give Miller the same treatment because hoooooly SHIT

Nibel

my only choice is real d 3d or 2d (imax isn't showing it here). since i'm assuming sound is equal between the two, 2d it is?

If you prefer 2D, go with 2D; personally I liked the 3D here and just watched the Cannes interview and even Miller said that he loves stereoscopic 3D. And you can see it because the movie is edited in a way that works with 3D. Some really great scenes.

Peff

Well, a sequel could always not be a 2 hour vehicle-focused behemoth, but it would still be fairly hard to live up to this, even with another eight years of planning. There is also a bit of lightning-in-a-bottle feeling from all the talent involved: Ann Sixel, Theron, Seale, JunketXL... lots of people at (seemingly) the top of their game, so I definitely wouldn't blame Miller for not trying again.

duckroll

Yeah, I'm on that side too. I have faith in him, but oh Jesus Christ, you see the amount of care and time on every single frame here. All down to the last detail.

I just wish he could get the whole crew back together. If that happens, then let's fucking party

I don't think Miller will make another Mad Max movie unless he knows he has a good enough idea which is different enough not to be compared with Fury Road. He's not going to make the same thing again. What would be the point? But if he has another Mad Max story which is as unique a concept, it could be interesting.

Any attempt to make the same sort of film again but "bigger and better" would honestly just feel stale.

gdt

Going off Wikipedia he has another script ready and another story (not script ready yet) for after that.

Seems like the next one is Mad Max :
Furiosa
. Don't know how up to date that is.

Top Bottom