• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Avatar would be one of the last blockbuster movies that I would watch for action. I dont remember ever hearing anyone saying that avatar is one of their go-to movies for action. I mean saying Avatar has the best action of the last decade? Ridiculous. Mad Max alone shits on it for action, not to mention many other films.
Wanna at least explain what's bad about Avatar's action setpieces? Maybe mention some of those expertly constructed sequences from those 'many other' films that best it?

I think this movie will be much more rewatchable than Gravity. I love Gravity but when rewatching it I just skip through all the slow scenes to see the action scenes, since the slow scenes are a bit dull to me these days having seen it multiple times. Don't think I'll have that problem with Mad Max.

Yeah, I don't even own the Blu of Gravity, I got so burned out on it. It does get very slow after the sprint it starts on.

But Max...goddamn.

I saw Gravity once and never planned on watching it again. This movie will get at least five viewings out of me in the next year or so.

The crazy part is that the movie was even more fucking insane for my 2nd viewing. I knew what was coming. And that made it even crazier.

The three big chase scenes are freaking required viewing for me now.

diaspora

I'm with him though. I don't doubt that it was competent and well-directed, but I don't remember a damn thing about the final battle besides the Mech showdown. I just didn't care about the characters enough to be "into" the action.

Anyway, Mad Max is still fucking awesome and we can all agree it's some of the best action on film in the last 20 years.

It was a shit movie with astounding CGI, Mad Max was an astoundingly great movie though.

Wanna at least explain what's bad about Avatar's action setpieces? Maybe mention some of those expertly constructed sequences from those 'many other' films that best it?
I like Avatar, and there's nothing bad about the action scenes, they are well shot in fact.

It's just that it isn't as memorable to a lot of people. For the love of me I don't hold any of the action since in as high of a regard as the ones from District 9, or Fury Road for example.

I like Avatar, and there's nothing bad about the action scenes, they are well shot in fact.

It's just that it isn't as memorable to a lot of people. For the love of me I don't hold any of the action since in as high of a regard as the ones from District 9, or Fury Road for example.
You said many other films outside of Mad Max. Is D9 really your best example of action setpieces that trump Avatar?

i think in terms of action blockbusters in the past many years we can at least all agree that while there are some we may have enjoyed the pecking order goes:

fury road -
wow.png

ohhh.png

everything else....
mjlol.png

i think in terms of action blockbusters in the past many years we can at least all agree that while there are some we may have enjoyed the pecking order goes:

fury road -
wow.png

ohhh.png

everything else....
mjlol.png
You said many other films outside of Mad Max. Is D9 really your best example of action setpieces that trump Avatar?
People really regard Avatar that highly? I mean, it's a visual spectacle, but I'd never put it in the upper echelon of action films. Definitely can't compete with something like Edge of Tomorrow

bomma_man

Seeing this on tight arse Tuesday, can't wait.

The apparent economy and lack of exposition make me hard. If there's one way to suck life out of something it's 500 pages of bone dry fake history (fuck you Tolkien).

Dominator

Wow theater was actually pretty packed tonight. For a Sunday night, I was impressed.

But god damn, even better the second time. Such an amazing flick.

People really regard Avatar that highly? I mean, it's a visual spectacle, but I'd never put it in the upper echelon of action films. Definitely can't compete with something like Edge of Tomorrow

i was just strictly talking action scenes. if i were to rank hollywood action films since tho then avatar would still be top 3 or 4 easy, imo.

Lunar15

While I can't remember Avatar's action scenes all that much (save for the mech fight, which was badass), nor did I particularly enjoy the film, I realized that the main reason the 3D worked so well in that movie where it failed in other movies is because Cameron films his action shots cleanly and distinctly. I've always found it ironic that 3D came about at the same time a lot of action films were trending towards incredibly shaky camera movement with tons of fast cuts, which does not play nicely with 3D at all.

I'm not a fan of 3D and I don't think I ever will be, but I think this movie would probably do well in 3D, just because of Miller's filming techniques.

So, I got back from the theater, and man. I wanna talk ab--

(reads last two pages)

--oh. This is an Avatar thread now. Of all the fucking things.

Sure. why not.

Dominator

how did your friend like it?
I think he was downplaying it afterwards because as we were watching it I would look over and he looked like he was in awe. He didn't want to admit to me that he loved it. He just said that it was a good movie and he wasn't expecting it.

Still, I won that battle I know it. The look on his face was awesome lol

We're actually just talking about action scenes, Bobby. But whatever gets you into a rant mode.

Avatar represents one of the finer blends between live action and heavy CG.

quaritchfirebrushazpk2.gif

Kimosabae

Banned
Think I posed this in the other thread: it's safe to say this is the most development Max has had as a character since the first film, no?

I think he was downplaying it afterwards because as we were watching it I would look over and he looked like he was in awe. He didn't want to admit to me that he loved it. He just said that it was a good movie and he wasn't expecting it.

Still, I won that battle I know it. The look on his face was awesome lol
Lol that dude's no friend. Sounds like he has ego issues. I mean you even paid for his ticket.

So, I got back from the theater, and man. I wanna talk ab--

(reads last two pages)

--oh. This is an Avatar thread now. Of all the fucking things.

Sure. why not.

pls tell us what you think, anything to get away from this irrelevant ass 2009 fern gully movie that takes two hours to get to the good part

There's a "good" part?

The last 20 min of the movie are solid enough. They were the only moments of the movie where I actually cared about what happened because the characters finally felt like they were in danger. But I can see why the lead up to it makes it hard to care at all.

I've certainly never been able to re-watch Avatar.

did this movie remind anybody of the indy series? of course it had miller's mad max stamp all over it. but the citadel reminded me a lot of temple of doom.

and the final chase scene (so good) was like raiders meets road warrior on crack.

inm8num2

pls tell us what you think, anything to get away from this irrelevant ass 2009 fern gully movie that takes two hours to get to the good part

That's no way to talk about Delgo.

Bobby, very interested to see what you have to say about Fury Road. Maybe we will join you in the Citadel known as the spoiler thread.

Dominator

Lol that dude's no friend. Sounds like he has ego issues. I mean you even paid for his ticket.
He does have ego issues, but and while its frustrating he's still a good friend. Just with stuff like that he's stubborn as all hell. I don't think I've ever heard him admit he's wrong once lol

And I don't mind paying, I wanted to support this as much as I possible could.

Mr_Fern

Neo Member
Saw it this morning

6c94707b3539478b30d8b75bfcbec11b.gif

What a lovely day, indeed!

BEST action movie I have seen since Matrix 1999

It was AMAZING seriously if any but any folks here or lurkers have doubts, GO SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT AWAY.
Its that good seriously is was truly a GOD tier movie.

This was exactly what i said after seen this movie, it was amazing!!! I was not expecting to be this good, it surpass all my expectations, easy one of the best movie of the last 5 years.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
did this movie remind anybody of the indy series? of course it had miller's mad max stamp all over it. but the citadel reminded me a lot of temple of doom.

and the final chase scene (so good) was like raiders meets road warrior on crack.
Yeah, I got a real Raiders vibe from the last chase.

It doesn't spectacle wise, just that it's more memorable.

Sort of how the action scenes in the first Avengers resonates with me more than the second, even though technically the 2nd one is done in a larger scale.

Ahasverus

This is the Mad Max thread, nobody caaaareeees

This movie was THE SHIT :D Best action I've EVER SEEN (I'm a 90's kid so I'm not accostumed to 80's super crazy action) maaan very frame was a paiting, Thron is great and Hardy does his best work as an extra ever, LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT

Dahbomb

My friend told me he's worried that Mad Max might become a :Youtube classic" because even though the action scenes are amazing, he doesn't care to watch the slower non action moments.

I thought for a second and realized... damn that is going to be an hour and a half long youtube video with all the action scenes!

My friend told me he's worried that Mad Max might become a :Youtube classic" because even though the action scenes are amazing, he doesn't care to watch the slower non action moments.

I thought for a second and realized... damn that is going to be an hour and a half long youtube video with all the action scenes!

And without the context and build up to the action scenes, they won't have the same impact they they have when seen in the full film.

Ixion

The IMDB ranking is actually going up over time right now. Fury Road was ranked #30 on the Top 250 to start and now it's currently #23 after 52,000 votes.

Looks like it's going to have a high ranking on there.

We're actually just talking about action scenes, Bobby. But whatever gets you into a rant mode.

quaritchfirebrushazpk2.gif

Avatar's tech was definitely super-impressive. Actions scenes were pretty good

Quaritch remains the true hero of that flick tho. Fuck Jake Sully.

Fjordson

Yes. Definitely. That first section when Max is running through the halls, jumping up on the chain (or rope whatever) over the water, then running onto that ledge where he almost falls off. Definitely an Indy vibe. Felt like an ancient tomb that Harrison Ford could be running through.

SpacLock

OH GOD.

Stop with the Avatar, James Cameron, Nolan, etc. bullshit.

Avatar and Fury Road are in their own leagues, and they each (most likely) own them.

I watched this movie on Thursday and there hasn't been an hour that I haven't thought about it. I'm a huge movie geek and this hasn't happened to me since I was a tiny kid watching Jurassic Park or The Lion King.

I have watched Alien, Aliens, Terminator 1 & 2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Temple of Doom, Jaws, and shit, even Total Recall more times than I could ever, ever count. I'm a HUGE James Cameron and Steven Spielberg fan, and I've never held too many directors close to those two when it comes to defining the cinema experience.

George Miller, welcome to the show. Fury Road will always have a special place in my heart and will join the ranks of the greats. It came at the right time. A time when everything else that's been out in the last decade hasn't brought out the love in movies I used to have until now.

I feel like the kid that wanted to be a movie director.

Top Bottom