• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I can't really praise it any more that what's already said, but yeah this is literally just a flawless action masterpiece that we haven't seen in summer blockbusters since, like forever. So just visceral and ridiculously intense, and an amazing usage of "show, don't tell" in regards to characterization and character arcs. Letting the visuals tell the story, and not being overly filled with dialogue and exposition. Fantastic world-building all around, the setting Miller has carved out is just, so fascinating and wonderful and filled with all sorts of strange and unique characters. I loved every second of it, and can't wait to see it again and again, and George Miller is literally a genius and hope he gets to make his other 2 sequels he had planned next. Please go see this movie.

Game4life

Banned
Best Action Movie I have seen. Sorry Raid you have been beaten. And wtf is it with this Avatar comparison. It is insulting to George Miller's efforts to have Avatar spoken of in the same sentence to Mad Max. Avatar had competently shot action but not good action. I think seeing so much of garbage action movies from MCU and Fast and the Furious full of shaky cam nonsense makes Avatar's action sequences seem better than they actually are for just holding the camera well. The set peices themselves have to be interesting. The Matrix lobby scene for example may not have the greatest camera work behind it but the scene alone shits on the entirety of avatar's action scenes. Cameron's best work in terms of action is T2.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kojima approves.

2015-05-1809_10_30-hipso9q.png

2015-05-1809_10_40-hitvqpp.png

2015-05-1809_10_52-his8ozg.png

neoanarch

I think Hardy felt more "Mad" if that makes sense. Like a feral animal. I've seen fan theories that assume he is the grown up feral kid from Road Warrior (what with all the grunting) but I don't buy that theory.

I saw Hardy (ages ago, god this movie was stuck in development forever) say that he played the character like "a wet panther" and I titally see that.

I'm not a huge fan of directly comparing artists, but I will say that I think Hardy was great... weird moving accent, bad ADR and everything included.
I always assumed that Thunderdome Max was the feral kid from RW. They even had the same distinctive patches of white hair.

SpacLock

There was just an interview with Miller where he specifically states that the feral kid's story line ends where you last see him. There has been no interest in bring him back.

I'm so excited to see this again tomorrow, I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since the advanced screening last week.

I'll be seeing it in 2D this time, and D-Box for the first time ever courtesy of Scene Points. Question for those that have tried D-Box, apparently there's a knob to adjust the intensity? Should I just leave it at the default for the best experience? If I hate it can I just turn it off entirely and enjoy the comfy seats?

We're actually just talking about action scenes, Bobby. But whatever gets you into a rant mode.

Avatar represents one of the finer blends between live action and heavy CG.

quaritchfirebrushazpk2.gif

Nice, the one scene in that film worth remembering.

/edit: I noticed you posted a bunch of other good looking, though forgettable stuff. That's the problem, I remember nothing from it.

So this movie rocked my ass off. Loved it. Nux was probably my favorite "good guy" and the Doof guitar warrior my favorite "bad guy".

Now i want tons of mad max stuff, I'll trust you guys to tip us off for anything cool.
Gotta score myself the comics aswell as a wicked poster :D

Avatar 2 is only a few lifetimes away, breh.

Cameron sequels. Never doubt him.

your post about to get shitted on by a bunch of people lol. but yeah, while i don't really like that world, cameron's got a crazy track record with sequels. i just hope he injects some of that edge that he used to be known for.

this is what i've been asking for on big-movie threads in neogaf since i joined. that grimy large budget action movie. filmed competently.

your post about to get shitted on by a bunch of people lol. but yeah, while i don't really like that world, cameron's got a crazy track record with sequels. i just hope he injects some of that edge that he used to be known for.

I ain't afraid of no posts. Cameron's coming for everyone's necks.

But this thread is about the here and now of Mad Max Fury Road, and in this glorious post-Fury Road world, we should do as much as possible to keep speaking about Fury Road and how amazing it is, and how terrible the people who don't think it's amazing are.

tci

Saw it on Saturday. And wow, this was THE action movie. It was like stepping back in to the 80/90's again.

Pure action and fantastic soundtrack that fit so well. I think it have to sink in a bit on how good it is compared to all other moves, but it will probably be remembered for some time.

And hail the guitar guy!

Orcastar

Just saw it yesterday.

When I first heard that they were doing a modern Mad Max sequel, my first thought was that there is no way that it could possibly live up to Road Warrior, that this was just another case of some Hollywood studio attempting to remake an old classic and failing miserably.

How nice it is to be proven wrong for once. Fury Road takes everything that was great about Road Warrior and turns it up to eleven, resulting in one of the best action movies I've ever seen. Loved it.

Denzar

Posting my impressions here. Posted them in the wrong thread originally.

Saw it yesterday.

What a glorious throwback. I would not go as far as to call it "the best action movie I've seen since Terminator 2" or "Best action movie of the last ten years", but man, it was a riot!

Loved the exploitation/ozploitation vibe the movie gave me. Miller and his team completely understand what they wanted to achieve. The movie is complete insanity and embraces that. When used, CGI or special effects are mediocre at best, but I didn't care. It fit perfectly with the tone and style of the movie.

Loved how there's very little exposition and when there is, it's perfectly interwoven with the balls to the wall action set-pieces.

Some gripes:
- For an R-rated movie, the gore was really, really tame and cut in such a way that you can barely see it. Disappointing.
- The ending felt like they had to get it over with. It's...weird. While the action was climactic, the plot unfolded in a very anti-climactic way to me.
-
Immortan Joe got such a quick send-off. He was such a great villain but dies in the blink of an eye.

And here's my biggest annoyance of all, but I can't blame the movie for this.

- Fuck Kinepolis (Belgian Movie Theater chain). They interrupted the movie for a 10 minute break again. They always do this, and it's fucking horse shit. This way their movie goers get the opportunity to buy some more overpriced popcorn, nacho's or beverages. This time it wasn't even near the middle of the movie, more like closer to the end. 30 Minutes left on the clock. It completely destroyed the excellent pacing that makes Fury Road such a relentless adrenaline fueled trip.

I find it incredibly disrespectful towards their audience and even moreso towards the movies that they run. You know, the movie that everybody wants and goes to see. The artistic vision of a group of people that spent significant parts of their lives creating something they love. The most vital part of Kinepolis' income. The thing that justifies that company's very own existance. It's utterly disgusting.

Jamie OD

Movie was insane. Still trying to comprehend what the heck I just watched. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great. Went in blind and I just wasn't ready for it.

this is what i've been asking for on big-movie threads in neogaf since i joined. that grimy large budget action movie. filmed competently.

Indeed a rarity.

I ain't afraid of no posts. Cameron's coming for everyone's necks.

I certainly hope so, but he's got something to prove after Avatar. And I'm not sure the PG13 restrictions are going to allow him to do it - or - whether he's still angry enough to do it.

/edit: to me anyway. It was a huge success and something to be proud of in that respect, sure. But in terms of his legacy, or artistic expression, or something of worth, I did not think much of Avatar. Early Cameron is much, much better.

But this thread is about the here and now of Mad Max Fury Road, and in this glorious post-Fury Road world, we should do as much as possible to keep speaking about Fury Road and how amazing it is, and how terrible the people who don't think it's amazing are.

Agreed.

Miller's wife really deserves credit for editing the film. Even during the most frantic and intense action sequences you can still follow the movement of the action perfectly. Every shot felt like it was on screen for just the right amount of time.

Tugatrix

Miller's wife really deserves credit for editing the film. Even during the most frantic and intense action sequences you can still follow the movement of the action perfectly. Every shot felt like it was on screen for just the right amount of time.

I had no idea Miller's wife was the editor, great team they do

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Has anyone tried the D Box seating?

I went yesterday and loved movie.

DOLBY ATMOS was great and I would love to try motion seating with a second viewing.

Arkhanor

Saw it yesterday! What an awesome movie! It maintained the spirit of mad max without "living in the past". Great reboot!

Edit: Hail the guitar guy!

6c94707b3539478b30d8b75bfcbec11b.gif

Right after we came out of the theater my roommate told me about this filmmaking technique in the sandstorm scene where every tenth frame or so is in black & white. I told him I didn't see it, even after watching the trailers about 100 times. But looking at this gif, how could I not have seen this.

Apt101

I had the pleasure of seeing this last night. First off, great movie. Second, the best on screen female hero since Trinity from the Matrix films. More directors and writers need to treat women characters as they do men. Just throw away gender.

Great fucking movie by the way. Amazing really. 10/10.

What an amazing movie, I'm totally blown away. The set designs and stunts were awesome.

Charlize Theron's honky American accent was really offputting and stuck out like a sore thumb among the Aussie cast but her character was cool so I can deal.

Simo

Has anyone tried the D Box seating?

I went yesterday and loved movie.

DOLBY ATMOS was great and I would love to try motion seating with a second viewing.

Yup I went since a couple of gaffers in the thread recommended it. Yeah, D-Box was the best viewing I had for the film. I can't recommend it enough!

NR1

Saw this yesterday and LOVED every single minute of it! Loved it so much, that I went out to Best Buy and bought the original three Mad Max films since i had never seen them before.

I've watched the first 2 films since then, and its clear to me that George Miller has been learning and getting better with each film in the franchise. The first film is so far removed from the others in tone and scale. Very odd; doesn't even feel like its set in the same universe. Fury Road is the apex of the series in my eyes. Just an amazing film. The last movie to make me feel this happy and excited by the spectacle on screen was Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

Action, sound, visuals, story, acting, cast, ect--- everything clicked and was running on all cylinders. Go see this film!

johnny956

Posting my impressions here. Posted them in the wrong thread originally.

Saw it yesterday.

What a glorious throwback. I would not go as far as to call it "the best action movie I've seen since Terminator 2" or "Best action movie of the last ten years", but man, it was a riot!

Loved the exploitation/ozploitation vibe the movie gave me. Miller and his team completely understand what they wanted to achieve. The movie is complete insanity and embraces that. When used, CGI or special effects are mediocre at best, but I didn't care. It fit perfectly with the tone and style of the movie.

Loved how there's very little exposition and when there is, it's perfectly interwoven with the balls to the wall action set-pieces.

Some gripes:
- For an R-rated movie, the gore was really, really tame and cut in such a way that you can barely see it. Disappointing.
- The ending felt like they had to get it over with. It's...weird. While the action was climactic, the plot unfolded in a very anti-climactic way to me.
-
Immortan Joe got such a quick send-off. He was such a great villain but dies in the blink of an eye.

And here's my biggest annoyance of all, but I can't blame the movie for this.

- Fuck Kinepolis (Belgian Movie Theater chain). They interrupted the movie for a 10 minute break again. They always do this, and it's fucking horse shit. This way their movie goers get the opportunity to buy some more overpriced popcorn, nacho's or beverages. This time it wasn't even near the middle of the movie, more like closer to the end. 30 Minutes left on the clock. It completely destroyed the excellent pacing that makes Fury Road such a relentless adrenaline fueled trip.

I find it incredibly disrespectfull towards their audience and even moreso towards the movies that they run. You know, the movie that everybody wants and goes to see. The artistic vision of a group of people that spent significant parts of their lives creating something they love. The most vital part of Kinepolis' income. The thing that justifies that company's very own existance. It's utterly disgusting.

I never seen a movie theater do this in the U.S. I would never support a movie theater that did this

Motoko

Well, here in italy Max is the weekend winner with 1 million. Which is ok, cause this time of the season is really bad to release a big movie.

Denzar

I never seen a movie theater do this in the U.S. I would never support a movie theater that did this

I don't want to but they've got a monopoly position here in Belgium.

It's either boycotting them and never going to the movies again or not boycotting them and reluctantly undergo their scumminess.

Vanish

Wanna at least explain what's bad about Avatar's action setpieces? Maybe mention some of those expertly constructed sequences from those 'many other' films that best it?

I'm not saying the action setpieces were bad in Avatar, but the action in many other films were better and more memorable like Mad Max, both Raid movies, Winter Soldier, Avengers, Dredd, etc. Like I said before, no one puts Avatar on their action movie lists. Anyways, I'll stop talking about Avatar in this thread now since people were complaining about the Avatar derail.

gatti-man

This movie, for me, ranks up there with Terminator 2 and Aliens as one of the best action movies I've ever seen. Transcendent, immortal, fluid, the type of movie that will entertain 100 years from now. An instant classic of dirt and blood.

Top Bottom