• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

deleted

Nolan's my favorite director but nah this doesn't work. Very different vibe from a Nolan flick.

Check your /s detector I think.

But if we seriously consider another director for a Mad Max movie, I'd like to see one from
Gore Verbinski. Dude can produce a weird ass desert as shown in Rango.
Not that someone would give him 150m $ in the next 100 years when he's not on a Pirates movie though.

sugarless

- Fuck Kinepolis (Belgian Movie Theater chain). They interrupted the movie for a 10 minute break again. They always do this, and it's fucking horse shit. This way their movie goers get the opportunity to buy some more overpriced popcorn, nacho's or beverages. This time it wasn't even near the middle of the movie, more like closer to the end. 30 Minutes left on the clock. It completely destroyed the excellent pacing that makes Fury Road such a relentless adrenaline fueled trip.

I find it incredibly disrespectful towards their audience and even moreso towards the movies that they run. You know, the movie that everybody wants and goes to see. The artistic vision of a group of people that spent significant parts of their lives creating something they love. The most vital part of Kinepolis' income. The thing that justifies that company's very own existance. It's utterly disgusting.

Oh god. Flashbacks to living in Germany when the English cinema in my city would do this. I could *almost* live with it if they would just put up a screen saying how long the break was and stick to that time. But no, they would just stop the film and sometimes it was a 5-minute break, sometimes 15. You never knew if you had time to actually go to the toilet and grab another beer or if you would miss something. When I saw the Dark Knight they inserted the break right at the moment you first see the Joker in the interrogation room after the truck flip scene. Then we all had to wait around for it to come back and it took a while to get back into the same frame of mind. Totally kills the pacing and I can't imagine how it would have negatively impacted the relentless pace of Fury Road.

deleted

Oh god. Flashbacks to living in Germany when the English cinema in my city would do this. I could *almost* live with it if they would just put up a screen saying how long the break was and stick to that time. But no, they would just stop the film and sometimes it was a 5-minute break, sometimes 15. You never knew if you had time to actually go to the toilet and grab another beer or if you would miss something. When I saw the Dark Knight they inserted the break right at the moment you first see the Joker in the interrogation room after the truck flip scene. Then we all had to wait around for it to come back and it took a while to get back into the same frame of mind. Totally kills the pacing and I can't imagine how it would have negatively impacted the relentless pace of Fury Road.

Yep, I have to endure that every time I want to see a blockbuster in English. I hate it.

Slixshot

Banned
6c94707b3539478b30d8b75bfcbec11b.gif

Right after we came out of the theater my roommate told me about this filmmaking technique in the sandstorm scene where every tenth frame or so is in black & white. I told him I didn't see it, even after watching the trailers about 100 times. But looking at this gif, how could I not have seen this.

I thought it was lightning

It's been quite a great stretch for action movies - Cap 2, The Raid 2, John Wick, Fury Road.

I hope it lasts!

Kingsmen was pretty good too. But yeah, not a bad string of action movies as of late.

Kojima approves.

2015-05-1809_10_30-hipso9q.png

I still remember posting tweets from E3 2013 or 2014 when he got to see a sneak peak for the Mad Max game. He was so hyped for that too. Glad to see that he liked the movie.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is still one of my favorite movies of all time, and I was worried that this movie wouldn't live up to that one. I'm still not sure if it does, but Fury Road did not fail to impress me.

So I saw this on Saturday. It was pretty damn fun. I honestly can't wait for the blu ray.

It was balls to the wall man.

Im cool with Tom Hardy, I like his acting, I like his grunts. I like most his movies he's in.

Anyways. GAF did not disappoint. I was going to skip this one, but because of you my GF and I made the trip out Sat night.

The world that they created was true to the OG series of movies.

I can only imagine what a difficult shoot this was. I mean absolutely brutal.

I knew from the first scenes with Hardy, the chase through the tunnels, that this was going to be fun.

6c94707b3539478b30d8b75bfcbec11b.gif

Right after we came out of the theater my roommate told me about this filmmaking technique in the sandstorm scene where every tenth frame or so is in black & white. I told him I didn't see it, even after watching the trailers about 100 times. But looking at this gif, how could I not have seen this.
it's simulating lightning

Miller's wife really deserves credit for editing the film. Even during the most frantic and intense action sequences you can still follow the movement of the action perfectly. Every shot felt like it was on screen for just the right amount of time.
Something that stood out to me was a scene where an individual was thrown off a moving vehicle and when the camera cuts to the front of the pack, you see that individual falling in the distance. It's such an obvious inclusion but something that is often overlooked.

Something that stood out to me was a scene where an individual was thrown off a moving vehicle and when the camera cuts to the front of the pack, you see that individual falling in the distance. It's such an obvious inclusion but something that is often overlooked.

Yup. So many wonderful visual cues and references--even if you aren't consciously staring at them, I think your brain picks up on it and makes scenes far more comprehensible.

jett

D-Member
Hmm they're showing this on a newly dolby atmos-equipped screen at another theater.

But this theater was shit the last time I went there.

Is atmos worth it for MM or should I just go to where I know I will have a quality projection?

The editing in this movie is extraordinarily good. "Best film editing" Academy Award winning good. But apparently the movie was also filmed almost entirely in continuity, so this is why there weren't any visible errors.

Hmm they're showing this on a newly dolby atmos-equipped screen at another theater.

Is atmos worth it for MM or should I just go to where I know I will have a quality projection?

I saw it in Atmos and it was fucking incredible.

If they upgraded to Atmos for the sound they might have upgraded their projectors as well. It is worth looking into.

While the theater here is small, they are equipped with newer Sony 4K projectors. So Max looked gorgeous. Their sound system is decent as well, but not as great as the one theater where I used to live.

There is a rumor that the big lot in front of our apartment complex is going to be built into a theater and shopping center. I hope that is true. Maybe get an IMAX up in here.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
- Fuck Kinepolis (Belgian Movie Theater chain). They interrupted the movie for a 10 minute break again. They always do this, and it's fucking horse shit. This way their movie goers get the opportunity to buy some more overpriced popcorn, nacho's or beverages. This time it wasn't even near the middle of the movie, more like closer to the end. 30 Minutes left on the clock. It completely destroyed the excellent pacing that makes Fury Road such a relentless adrenaline fueled trip.

I find it incredibly disrespectful towards their audience and even moreso towards the movies that they run. You know, the movie that everybody wants and goes to see. The artistic vision of a group of people that spent significant parts of their lives creating something they love. The most vital part of Kinepolis' income. The thing that justifies that company's very own existance. It's utterly disgusting.

I should be pissed about this and you're totally right, but for me this has never been that big of an issue. The break is about 5 minutes, never long enough to throw me out of the experience. Plus most of the time I need to pee at that point so the break isn't exactly wasted for me

But yeah ultimately this is all extra money in the pocket for them. I hate their overpriced parking (and snacks) more tbh.

image.php

Oh shit. Look at that.

Snuck that in late last night. :) Thankfully I had an avatar made a few years ago for Rock Band. I just swapped the guitar out and changed the outfit a bit.

I wanted to put a hood on him like the Doof Warrior, but I can't find enough good pics of it to make out the right details. So, for now, Doof Bone is gonna go without a mask.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Saw it last night and it blew me away from start to finish.

The Blu-ray will be a reference disc for audio.

Is that...good? Or bad?

That's pretty good for an R rated movie.

firelogic

In what way though? Would you say the budget made all the difference?

You can't really compare the two. Raid movies are all about hand-to-hand and Fury Road is a vehicular combat movie. You can definitely like one more than the other but a direct comparison isn't valid. The Raid was amazing but due to the first half of The Raid 2 being so boring and inconsequential, I can't put it up there in a Top 5 action movies list. The Raid 2 didn't really get going until the dual wielding woman shows up in the subway car. From that point to the end it's amazing but damn, the first half really kills it for me.

Paskil

Saw this on Saturday and it was so bad it was OK. We have a new Marcus theater in town that is pretty amazing (every seat is leather and reclining, super comfy). Ultrascreen with Dolby Atmos. Post-apocalyptic fiction is one of my favorite genres, but this is just too much for me to suspend disbelief. The entire Mad Max universe has always been too much for me. The action was good though, and the guitar guy with the drums on the speaker truck was awesome and had me rolling.

A good turn your brain off and enjoy flick, for sure.

Top Bottom