• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Hamlet

Is that...good? Or bad?

Pretty solid. Though it diddn't quite reach the original estimates of $70-85m they were predicting on Friday.
The worldwide booty makes Fury Road George Miller’s best opening ever and positions it atop the franchise as the biggest grosser ever in the series. There were No. 1s in 40 territories.

Sami+

Kojima approves.

2015-05-1809_10_30-hipso9q.png

2015-05-1809_10_40-hitvqpp.png

2015-05-1809_10_52-his8ozg.png

oh hell yeah

Abounder

Banned
Saw this on a lovely yesterday, loved it. So damn metal. Lots of Warhammer 40k vibes too.

Theron put on a fantastic performance. Hope this becomes a franchise, I want to see the bullet farm and more Max!

People keep saying this. It's not true. That's a decent opening. Definitely positive.

Agreed. Domestically, it had a better opening weekend than Terminator 3, The Hangover 3, Paranormal Activity 2, Gladiator, Inglourious Basterds....For an R rated film it's positive, plus it will have good legs thanks to the excellent reviews, good word of mouth and the high rewatchability factor.

Lucius86

Banned
Saw it last night, what a film. What. A. Film.

Holy crap.

HOOOOOOOOLYYYYYY CRAAAAAAAAAAP.

My exact thoughts.

This, coupled with John Wick to a lesser extent, has truly spoilt me with action flicks this year already.

Avengers...who? After that sack of disappointment, this film had me grinning all the way through. And what a breath of fresh air Charlize Theron was.

Best action film since Terminator 2? Hard to say, only time will gift that opinion. But it's right up there with my favourites.

What a Lovely Film.

brau

Saw it last night, what a film. What. A. Film.

My exact thoughts.

This, coupled with John Wick to a lesser extent, has truly spoilt me with action flicks this year already.

Avengers...who? After that sack of disappointment, this film had me grinning all the way through. And what a breath of fresh air Charlize Theron was.

Best action film since Terminator 2? Hard to say, only time will gift that opinion. But it's right up there with my favourites.

What a Lovely Film.

Did you watch The Guest? that movie was amazing. Liked it better than John Wick.

B33

Banned
I'm curious to see how word of mouth affects the long-term performance of FURY ROAD. Something tells me it'll continue to chug along and do fairly well by the end of its theatrical run.

I'm curious to see how word of mouth affects the long-term performance of FURY ROAD. Something tells me it'll continue to chug along and do fairly well by the end of its theatrical run.

I think it'll do Kingsman style business due to the reviews. All of my friends who weren't going to see the movie are now because of two things: The reviews, and the MRA stuff

Carbonox

You know, I watched all 3 films twice in the space of a week in the build up to Fury Road and I'm now in the mood to do so again and watch Fury Road again.

953dtx62.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
Warner Brother DVDs/Blu-Rays are atrocious in terms of design. They're so boring and I hate the way they chop up the scene selections and other options.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Watched it again yesterday, thought it would lessen the impact, but nope. My reaction after the tornado sequence

PrhvOc7.gif

Pretty much unchanged the second time.

inm8num2

Not sure if the title to Miller's planned sequel was already posted or not.

http://collider.com/mad-max-fury-road-sequel-title-revealed/

Director George Miller hasn’t been shy about the fact that he’s planned more than one new Mad Max movie, previously confirming that he’s written the follow-ups. Speaking on The Q&A Podcast with Jeff Goldsmith (via The Playlist), Miller went one further and confirmed that the Fury Road follow-up is titled Mad Max: The Wasteland:

Warner Brother DVDs/Blu-Rays are atrocious in terms of design. They're so boring and I hate the way they chop up the scene selections and other options.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yet they have some of the most consistent audio and video quality on their releases for new stuff, and they treat many of their major classics extremely well.

Besides, who cares how the scene selections are chopped up. Just watch the entire film and you don't have to worry about it.

There was a video years back that opened my eyes to these AWFUL DVDS.

EDIT: Found it.

I need this movie in blu-ray, though. SO BAD.
They were using an old DVD from when the format first started and people still hadn't started using motion menus or even dual layer discs. There are plenty of DVDs with stuff that bad from that time period. I would be more annoyed by the constant need for animated transitions in menus like the Star Wars dvd set had.

They were using an old DVD from when the format first started and people still hadn't started using motion menus or even dual layer discs. There are plenty of DVDs with stuff that bad from that time period. I would be more annoyed by the constant need for animated transitions in menus like the Star Wars dvd set had.

Hell, the idea that I put a disc in and the movie just automatically starts playing is like - my most wanted feature in a disc. That's what I want it to do.

Toa TAK

Banned
Besides, who cares how the scene selections are chopped up. Just watch the entire film and you don't have to worry about it.
Nah. It's there for a reason.

I LOVE THOSE.

Man, even the old X-Men DVDs had those. I miss those. We need more of those. You can't get that with digital, or at least I haven't seen any.

Hell, the idea that I put a disc in and the movie just automatically starts playing is like - my most wanted feature in a disc. That's what I want it to do.

And WB stuff does that, and I like it. And thankfully with blu ray I can just have a pop up menu to change the language options if I want without stopping the film.

If you want to complain about anything from WB back in the DVD days, it is their insistence on using the snapper cases (that they conveniently had a patent on I think) on everything, and using the 348kbps or so bitrate for their Dolby Digital tracks. Both of those issues were fixed after several years, but WB was always one of the best companies with their video quality.

Nah. It's there for a reason.

I LOVE THOSE.

Man, even the old X-Men DVDs had those. I miss those. We need more of those. You can't get that with digital, or at least I haven't seen any.

Motion menus and transitions are fine and all when the disc first boots, but I don't need a three second or so animation anytime I go to the next screen of chapters or more special features. If you want an example of tastefully done menu transitions, look at the Lord of the Rings extended editions.

Struct09

Saw the movie yesterday and I'm still thinking about it today. I really want to see it again but will probably wait until its out on Blu-ray. Such an awesome and enjoyable movie.

Game4life

Banned
No movie in the last 10-15 years made me feel like going back to the theater to watch the movie again as much as this one. Anyone else feel that there should not be another sequel ? I dont know. As tempting as it is to see another crazy take like this I feel this return to the mad max universe was enough. Maybe a completely new setting and a new type of action movie from Miller in a non max universe would be even better.

3N16MA

Banned
I will probably catch it again in 2D this time around.

I have to say the 3D was not bad and it seemed more thought went into using in comparison to most films that just add it on for higher ticket prices.

Toa TAK

Banned
Motion menus and transitions are fine and all when the disc first boots, but I don't need a three second or so animation anytime I go to the next screen of chapters or more special features. If you want an example of tastefully done menu transitions, look at the Lord of the Rings extended editions.

I do. I need them.

Though I don't know anything about the LOTR dvds. Never been into the series.

3N16MA

Banned
No movie in the last 10-15 years made me feel like going back to the theater to watch the movie again as much as this one. Anyone else feel that there should not be another sequel ? I dont know. As tempting as it is to see another crazy take like this I feel this return to the mad max universe was enough. Maybe a completely new setting and a new type of action movie from Miller in a non max universe would be even better.

Miller already has the sequel planned and the reception to Fury Road means WB would be on board.

Top Bottom