• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Kallor

So hyped. Gonna see this tomorrow. Older brother said its amazing, step-dad whose a long time Mad Max fan and been waiting forever for this said it was hands down the best of the lot and my mom loved it as well.

I'm just going to keep rambling like an idiot here.

The color! The transitions. The desolate scenery. The fact that the film just dropped you into what was happening. No unnecessary context.

'Here is a woman evicting slave-born pregnant "wives" out of a hostile territory. A man named Max shows up to aid in their fight. Chaos ensues.'

God fucking dammit.

Brilliant.

Superb movie. Saw it on Saturday and still thinking about it. I plan on waiting a couple weeks before seeing it in theaters again. I wantt the "crowds" to die out so there is only 1 or 2 old people in the theater when I go. I'll probably see it in 3d this time. It sounds like the 3D version is really good.

I just love this line at 33 seconds in: https://youtu.be/YWNWi-ZWL3c?t=31 Probably my favorite line in the movie. The delivery on it so good.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So uh. Just got back. Visually beautiful. Story was good, character progression was on point. But what the hell was with all the ADR?!? The entire movies dialog was so obviously dubbed in post. It really took me out of it in a lot of places.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't feel like I need a movie about Furiosa.

The beauty of Mad Max is that he takes us to a different place and a different set of characters every time.

I don't feel like I need a movie about Furiosa.

The beauty of Mad Max is that he takes us to a different place and a different set of characters every time.

different characters, but sometimes actors come back

Furiosa shouldn't be in the next one, but I wouldn't be against Charlize Theron's coming back as a totally different character, in the Mad Max tradition.

I don't mind having another film with Furiosa (even though I think it's unnecessary after the ending of Fury Road), but if it were to happen, just make it a sequel. Please, please don't let Miller waste his fucking time on a prequel.

Yeah, rather they just move on and leave furiosa alone. I like max as an avatar for the audience, going from one corner of the wasteland to the next and letting us see the madness that has consumed this world while he copes with it as we do.

Furiosa's strength actually conflicts with the typical mad max experience of a loner getting by in the wild. She's strong, resilient, and doesn't really take shit from anyone. She makes for a terrific leader but I come to these movies to see max get caught up in the hijinks of the wasteland, not to see a Mary Sue prosper. Max being a crappy character actually works to make everyone else stand out.

EulaCapra

How's the 3D?

The showtimes in my local area are limited in 2D showings. They must be pushing 3D hard. But I'm weary since it's just a conversion (right?).

yeah i want this to move forward rather than back.

furiosa was so fucking dope though, a shame that including her in the next one would feel...contrived, i don't see how you continue her story with max's inclusion. miller has a winner with that character tho.

but i have faith he can think of other great roles in the future.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't mind having another film with Furiosa (even though I think it's unnecessary after the ending of Fury Road), but if it were to happen, just make it a sequel. Please, please don't let Miller waste his fucking time on a prequel.

DC/Vertigo is releasing a series of comic prequels and it will cover Furiosa. I think Miller focuses on The Wasteland.

Shadow780

They did right by Furiosa, in midst of all the female lead conversation there here comes a great example on a fantastic portrayal.

For the movie itself though I enjoyed the movie, but not to the degree that majority of ppl here seemed to have.

So uh. Just got back. Visually beautiful. Story was good, character progression was on point. But what the hell was with all the ADR?!? The entire movies dialog was so obviously dubbed in post. It really took me out of it in a lot of places.
Made it a truly vintage Mad Max experience!
Mad Max originally came to the US dubbed, I believe.

Movie was fucking awesome, but I'm in agreement in not wanting any prequels (unless they maybe do it in a Riddick-esque fashion and make the prequel animated). Stick with some sweet sweet live-action sequels, George!

-griffy-

Banned

Probably hard to record on set dialog when your set is a gigantic war rig roaring through the desert at 70km/hr.

Simo

I really hope this is the actual title. :p

LOL Well who knows what it would be. I thought the sequels would be Furiosa and then The Wasteland but Miller says Furiosa was being developed after the other 2 sequels had been done which is The Wasteland script is finished and the third film is in novella form.

jett

D-Member
Back from my second run.

Didn’t lose anything, in fact, it may be even better now. The electrostorm sequence is as awe-inspiring as the first time. The way the tornado of human bodies escalates as the music swells up with the imagery of a goddamn electrical hurricane going in the background is truly epic. Not in the “oh that’s awesome” meaning, but something that truly evokes feelings of something ripped out of a Valkyrian epic. A thing that is massive and astounding in every possible way. Mad Max Fury Road is an audiovisual experience that seriously wakes up something feral in you. You feel the purest form of absolute glee at times, just due to the way George Miller executes his glorious ballad of vehicular destruction.

Favorite moment for now: Brothers in Arms sequence. It doesn’t have the audiovisual spectacle of the storm, but it’s just fucking badass, and Junkie XL put in some work, goddamn.

I need to watch this again.

I watched it in Dolby Atmos this time, as was recommended. Holy shit. Every end of every nerve was flaring up throughout the movie. Most of the nerves in my ears are dead now, of course, but that’s all right, it was worth it. Seriously, I’d qualify this as a dangerous experience. Oh and the screen was perfect, as you guys assumed, I guess I found a new go-to theater of mine.

Salsa

welp, yeah. can't really say anything that hasnt been echoed a thousand times already.

my only small gripe with it if I wanna nitpick hard is the score, given that it's Junkie XL. I feel like it mostly just sounds like any other recent action flick and he's really underused or not played to his strenghts. Considering he's not with Zimmer this time around I didnt expect it to sound so much like Batman, basically.

loved the film

Back from my second run.

Didn’t lose anything, in fact, it may be even better now. The electrostorm sequence is as awe-inspiring as the first time. The way the tornado of human bodies escalates as the music swells up with the imagery of a goddamn electrical hurricane going in the background is truly epic.

Favorite moment for now: Brothers in Arms sequence. It doesn’t have the audiovisual spectacle of the storm, but it’s just fucking badass, and Junkie XL put in some work, goddamn.

Yup, I agree with allll of this. I walked away from my 2nd viewing liking it even more. And those particular moments you're picking out are probably my absolute favorite of the whole film, barring one. The music swelling with the electrostorm sequence is the stuff of gods. And Brothers In Arms...OH MAN.

3N16MA

Banned
Back from my second run.

Didn’t lose anything, in fact, it may be even better now. The electrostorm sequence is as awe-inspiring as the first time. The way the tornado of human bodies escalates as the music swells up with the imagery of a goddamn electrical hurricane going in the background is truly epic. Not in the “oh that’s awesome” meaning, but something that truly evokes feelings of something ripped out of a Valkyrian epic. A thing that is massive and astounding in every possible way. Mad Max Fury Road is an audiovisual experience that seriously wakes up something feral in you. You feel the purest form of absolute glee at times, just due to the way George Miller executes his glorious ballad of vehicular destruction.

I watched it in Dolby Atmos this time, as was recommended. Holy shit. Every end of every nerve was flaring up throughout the movie. Most of the nerves in my ears are dead now, of course, but that’s all right, it was worth it. Seriously, I’d qualify this as a dangerous experience. Oh and the screen was perfect, as you guys assumed, I guess I found a new go-to theater of mine.

I really felt Atmos added to the overall audio experience.

It is one of those films where you grip your seat and truly have a cinematic experience. Your brain tries to keep pace with what your eyes are seeing, what your ears are hearing, and what your body is feeling. Like I said, an assault on the senses in the best way possible.

Back from my second run.

Bolded the truth. It does seem that it has awoken something primal in many on here.

And glad the Atmos gamble paid off. I guess they did upgrade their projection as well.

Now to combine Atmos with an IMAX screen and DBox seats. No survivors!

EDIT: The only IMAX near me is an hour away, and they still have Ultron on it. But that theater has Mad Max in RPX. I don't know if that is worth the hour drive to get there. The theater in town's 4K projection is damn good and the sound was good enough.

Toa TAK

Banned

Damn straight. Loved it when head wife sticks out of the vehicle to prevent Furiosa from getting shot and the music at that point on is just uplifting enough to seal the deal.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's been like 3 days and I still can't stop thinking about this movie.

Same. Super frustrated because I'm not sure when I'll have time to watch it again, and I've been out of the habit of rewetting films in the theaters for years now. But the film has been a splinter in my brain since early Sunday I have to see this shit again.

I am trying not to gush too much about it to my wife. I think she will finally go with me to see it, and I don't want to set her expectations too high. But I do feel that deep down it is going to kick her ass from here to right over there.
Heck, she loved Pacific Rim more than I did, and gushes about Dredd to her coworkers. She was only exposed to Road Warrior last year because of me, so she doesn't have the history with the series that I do. She liked it well enough, but not enough to want to watch it again. I hope Fury Road opens up that primal feeling in her like it did with me.

Game4life

Banned
Back from my second run.

Now watch it in Dbox if you can. It elevates the movie from god tier to something even greater. It is that freaking good in Dbox.

forrest

formerly nacire
Finally went and saw this tonight. After reading the positive comments about the 3d version that is the one I decided to see and man oh man what a treat. Everything was just handled so nicely. I hope the game can capture the atmosphere of the film!

B33

Banned
Hold the fuck up...Miller has 3 films planned now?!
  • Mad Max: Furiosa [Prequel]
  • Mad Max: The Wasteland [Fury Road sequel]
  • Mad Max: Untitled
http://happysadconfused.wolfpop.com/audio/25412/george-miller

I'll have to give this a listen.

I was under the impression MAD MAX: FURIOSA was originally going to be shot back-to-back with FURY ROAD, but that got scrapped and parts of the former made it into the latter.

In The Q&A podcast interview with Jeff Goldsmith, Miller specifically stated he has TWO films he'd like to follow FURY ROAD with: MAD MAX: THE WASTELAND and an untitled MAD MAX movie.

Saya

Has anyone ever tried 4DX? Is that the same as DBox? I want to watch it a third time, but I might try the 4DX thing. We don't have DBox here...

maharg

idspispopd
I know what he means though. It's less about continuity and more the way they would use quick cuts like that to give you a sense of the orientation and where things are in relation to eachother. It was very well done.

Yes. This movie, more than maybe any action movie I've ever seen, manages to keep you up to date with a really coherent vision of where everyone is in relation to each other and what they're doing. There are a few places where it kind of gives up on this a bit, but most of the time the whole battlefield is really clear in your head while it's going on.

Such a refreshing change from the motion blurred zaniness of the modern crop of action films. And that goes for nearly every other aspect of it as well.

Miller has put every action film director working right now to shame, imo.

I really liked this movie.

My favorite part was that it was never afraid to not take itself too seriously if there was an opportunity for something awesome to happen, like the guitar guy and the guys on poles.

My least favorite part was how it personally attacked me for being a man.

Overall, pretty good!

Toa TAK

Banned
I really liked this movie.

My favorite part was that it was never afraid to not take itself too seriously if there was an opportunity for something awesome to happen, like the guitar guy and the guys on poles.

My least favorite part was how it personally attacked me for being a man.

Overall, pretty good!

Where did that happen?

Top Bottom