• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I really liked this movie.

My favorite part was that it was never afraid to not take itself too seriously if there was an opportunity for something awesome to happen, like the guitar guy and the guys on poles.

My least favorite part was how it personally attacked me for being a man.

Overall, pretty good!

And here we go. This is not going to end well.

Did my third viewing tonight. Don't remember the last time I saw a movie three times in five days.

For those that have a DBOX option within reasonable distance, by all means make it a point to go to DBOX, because wow did it elevate the experience.

Edit: I also took my 13 year old son. He loved it.

karobit

That's true, but the PG-13 rating only began in 1984, so really, some elements of Raiders night have caused it to garner a PG13 rating.

Some PG before the 13 rating was basically sometimes actually contained content more suitable for teenagers and not young children.

My son seems to be doing fine post MMFR; no noticeable changes in behavior. Will continue to monitor.

Even if Raiders were re-rated PG-13, you were comparing it to Mad Max: Fury Road, which is rated R.

I'm sure your son is fine. Just choose a better comparison.

That's true, but the PG-13 rating only began in 1984, so really, some elements of Raiders night have caused it to garner a PG13 rating.

Some PG before the 13 rating was basically sometimes actually contained content more suitable for teenagers and not young children.

My son seems to be doing fine post MMFR; no noticeable changes in behavior. Will continue to monitor.

He might start thinking women can fight and in control of their own lives. Make sure you show him an MRA website so he can see the big picture.

He might start thinking women can fight and in control of their own lives. Make sure you show him an MRA website so he can see the big picture.
I heard the sequel is going to involve Max liberating a group of men from an oppressive female dictatorship. To balance things out by giving men a positive on-screen role model for once.

Parham

Banned
Did my third viewing tonight. Don't remember the last time I saw a movie three times in five days.

For those that have a DBOX option within reasonable distance, by all means make it a point to go to DBOX, because wow did it elevate the experience.

Edit: I also took my 13 year old son. He loved it.

I was about to ask what it's like in DBOX. Sounds like I need to rewatch it sometime this week.

As long as your son knows the difference between right and wrong, and you are teaching him manners and respect, as well as the difference between reality and fiction he will be fine.
I was watching all manner of R rated horror and action stuff well before I was 10. My parents didn't care because they always told me what was right and wrong and not to behave certain ways around others, and not to repeat certain language. I was well versed in the films of John Carpenter, George Miller, and James Cameron (among others) as they released well before I was 10 years old. About the only thing my parents were strict about stopping me from seeing was nudity and sex stuff, which I obviously snuck in by staying up late and watching HBO and Cinemax.

I like thinking that being exposed to stuff like that and comedians like Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, and Rodney Dangerfield before I was even a teenager helped make me more prepared for the real world.
Of course, it might also explain why I have a very twisted sense of humor.

Karkador

Banned
The most memorable aspect of the DBOX for this one was that it seems they fed car engine sounds directly to the vibration programming of the seats. It felt like I was sitting in the vehicles and could feel the revving and the gear shifts, and that really added an extra added dimension to the car scenes (so, most of the movie).

Maximo

Just saw the movie it certainly was a visual treat, the action sequences and the wide angle shots were beautifuly done by a a director that clearly has alot of love and passion in the medium.
I have a few gripes with the movie but otherwise I can't think I enjoyed a movie of this genre in a very long time.

Game4life

Banned
The most memorable aspect of the DBOX for this one was that it seems they fed car engine sounds directly to the vibration programming of the seats. It felt like I was sitting in the vehicles and could feel the revving and the gear shifts, and that really added an extra added dimension to the car scenes (so, most of the movie).

Also the neat touches like the seat mimicking the camera movement. One of the shots has the camera swooping down from the top to the ground and then going up and the seat kind of slides down mimicking the camera and then rises again. It may not seem like much when describing it but it really adds to the experience.

Nafai1123

Banned

Damnit, now I want to see if for a 3rd time in DBOX.

Suplexer

Saw it in 3D today, went in completely blind, minus hearing that some pretty rough critics are really digging it.

I thought it was fantastic, but I'm going to go see it again tomorrow in 2D before I really formulate my thoughts on it.

For anyone on the fence, maybe this will entice you. Imagine Metal Gear Solid level of insanity, mixed with JoJo's Bizzare Adventure. Now take all of that and masterfully convert it into a film. That's sort of what this movie is, and it's fucking incredible.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Saw it. Loved it. An amazing piece of work on all fronts.

Loved the visual metaphor of Joe being this ugly decrepit old monster wearing this armored casing meant to make him look strong to his followers.

Osahi

Decided against seeing it in 3d (though i love 3d when done good) because it was conversion and bc i knew how fast cut it was.

Now i regret it. I want to see that goodness in all three dimmensions.

What a blast this film is. Damn

TBH the 3D is very subtle to the point that its non-existent throughout the movie save for one shot at the very end. If you watched it in 2D you're not missing much.

It was even better the second time around, and my girlfriend loved the shit out of it, this movie is the real deal. The only real flaw to me was that one really gimmicky 3D scene just looks stupid in 2D. It's a shame that it sticks out like a sore thumb as nothing else in the movie screams 3D, and 2D is definitely my preferred viewing experience.

DBox was pretty neat, but took a bit of getting used to. After the opening sequence I seriously considered just turning it off because it was distracting. Not something I would actually pay for, but if you're using Scene points it's not bad.

GhaleonEB

My 12 year old daughter is interested in going with me to see this on Saturday. How hard of an R is it? The rating description makes it sound like it's primarily for the action, but I wasn't sure if there was much gore in the mix. She's okay with pretty much everything but too much splatter.

My 12 year old daughter is interested in going with me to see this on Saturday. How hard of an R is it? The rating description makes it sound like it's primarily for the action, but I wasn't sure if there was much gore in the mix. She's okay with pretty much everything but too much splatter.

Semi naked ladies, a guys mouth torn off and some dudes getting impaled my tiny arrows
. It's actually pretty tame, imo

Game4life

Banned

There is some gore and but a lot of it is not direct but implied. I hardly remember seeing too much blood on anything except for one small sequence. Then again there is one disturbing scene which is not shown graphically but is well.. I guess it is okay though but I watched T2 as a kid in the theater and did not have any problems and my parents did not either. Very hard to give a definitive answer.

Lucius86

Banned
Did you watch The Guest? that movie was amazing. Liked it better than John Wick.

Nope, missed that one, will add to the 'to watch' list. Thanks.

The violence is surprisingly limited considering the nature of the film. There's minimal gore or wanton grotesqueness.

One of the ways you can tell this movie was directed by a grandpa is that it's almost completely lacking any gore. Only one thing comes to mind, but it's not horrifying. You should be fine!

Karkador

Banned
There isn't really much gore. A lot of the violence people go through leaves them surprisingly intact and alive. The most gruesome thing, IMO, is (actual spoiler)
a stillborn baby getting crudely manhandled by a 'surgeon' (and it's mostly off-screen
)

I guess the idea is that you should expect the movie to be thematically 'gross', and you're going to see some gross things - but it's not a movie fixated on gore.

I'm pretty hyped for the game, I wish it had a release date. Its by the same devs who have done the Just Cause series, and is supposed to revolve heavily around Max's car.

Game4life

Banned
There isn't really much gore. A lot of the violence people go through leaves them surprisingly intact and alive. The most gruesome thing, IMO, is (actual spoiler)
a stillborn baby getting crudely manhandled by a 'surgeon' (and it's mostly off-screen
)

I guess the idea is that you should expect the movie to be thematically 'gross', and you're going to see some gross things - but it's not a movie fixated on gore.

Yeah that spoilered bit is why I thought it may not be advisable to take a kid.

abadguy

Banned
I think this tops Road Warrior...i dunno man i just have to see it again, but i think it tops it. It was fucking brilliant beginning to end. I had a big fucking kool aid smile on my face when it was over. It was also one of the few times i've went to see a movie and the crowd applauded at the end of it.

Every character was badass in this movie and got their time to shine, the bad guys looked great, the movie itself looked amazing ( i cannot wait for the blu ray) the stunts were off the wall, the action was excellently paced and edited. Very few if any quick cuts and i could actually tell what was going on. Tom Hardy was great as Max, Furiosa was badass. extremely visual movie with a minimum of dialogue just like the old ones.

It was everything i wanted out of a Mad Max film and then some! To say it exceeded my expectations is an understatement. It always feels great when something you really anticipate not only doesn't disappoint , but goes far beyond what you were expecting to get out of it.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah that spoilered bit is why I thought it may not be advisable to take a kid.

On the other hand, it's such a kick-ass movie for girls that I would hate for one brutal scene to keep them away from a pretty awesome movie.
If I had a 12 year old daughter who was into the idea of the movie, I'd probably take her.

Osahi

It was even better the second time around, and my girlfriend loved the shit out of it, this movie is the real deal. The only real flaw to me was that one really gimmicky 3D scene just looks stupid in 2D. It's a shame that it sticks out like a sore thumb as nothing else in the movie screams 3D, and 2D is definitely my preferred viewing experience.

DBox was pretty neat, but took a bit of getting used to. After the opening sequence I seriously considered just turning it off because it was distracting. Not something I would actually pay for, but if you're using Scene points it's not bad.
What scene is that?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I see the whole "this movie is rated as an adult-see only but theaters often don't give a fuck" is a thing too in the US.

I thought it's only in here, hahaha.

As for your question, it's not really gory but there are scenes which can easily make everyone's watching it squirm uncomfortably, that's for sure.

pottuvoi

Banned
TBH the 3D is very subtle to the point that its non-existent throughout the movie save for one shot at the very end. If you watched it in 2D you're not missing much.
The movie would have been better without the strong 3D in that one shot.
Also the sequence before the title was unnecessary and its usage of really fast shutter doesn't work well in 3D, especially as movie didn't have HFR.

Pezking

In regards to explicit violence and gore, the movie is rather tame. Even Kingsman showed more blood fountains and flying limbs.

BUT it is by far the most intense and nervewrecking movie I have ever witnessed in a theater. Both me and and a friend of mine acknowledged that this movie caused us massive sensory overload right after we left the theater, and we're both well into our thirties. It was awesome! :)

I had no problems watching violent and gory action movies when I was 12 years old, like RoboCop or Total Recall (both are much worse in that regard than Fury Road!).

But I think the new Mad Max might have really overchallenged me at that age, because of its insane intensity.

deleted

After Nux crashes the war rig near the end and the guitar and steering wheel come flying at the screen. The whole thing just screams "HEY LOOK IT'S 3D!"

That was so cheesy. Didn't really like it, but didn't mind it too much either.

I'm going again next week. This time in the OV. I don't go into the same movie twice very often, but I can't wait for the BD release to see this again.
Taking a whole bunch of people with me too, can't wait to see their minds blown...

Hopefully Miller doesn't make a prequel, this movie doesn't need one. If the prequel isn't mind blowingly amazing, it will most likely hurt the experience of this one.

And it would be cool, if Wasteland was an overall even smaller story. Cut the budget in half and I can see it getting financed too..

UVG RAVEN

Banned
Guest is not a action flick. It is a decent movie but John Wick as an action movie outclasses it in everyway.

I disagree, I enjoyed The Guest much more than I did with John Wick. It has a much better story, better action sequences and at least it keeps you guessing till the end; unlike John Wick.

Tizoc

aLL THINGS Considered, yeah I guess a 12 year old can enjoy this, though it depends on how they'd feel about the setting and overall presentation of the post apocalyptic wasteland world.

aLL THINGS Considered, yeah I guess a 12 year old can enjoy this, though it depends on how they'd feel about the setting and overall presentation of the post apocalyptic wasteland world.

If I had seen this when I was 12 it would have absolutely blown my mind lol

It's all fun and games until the kids are leaping of swings screaming "WITNESS ME!!"

This is like the least-bleak post apicolyptic film ever made at least.

Sh1ner

Sticked out massively in 3D as all the other objects abide by physics in the crash and in all other scenes there is a reason for the 3D. Scene minor spoler-
Both objects the wheel and the guitar just tumbled out hilariously bad with the wheel used as a fade to black
. I think this was my worst scene in the movie.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about MAD MAX: FURY ROAD just yet* but I can say this for it, it is unlike any other film that has been released in the last decade. It's actually quite surprising that a film that is as risky and as unapologetic for what it is would get the green light from a major studio. It's going to rub some people the wrong way (the first evening I saw it with two friends who were really put off by it) due to it's outright bizarre nature; the film is lean on exposition-heavy, filler-driven plot and lays into you with hardcore, nonstop action and thematic imagery. That, in my mind, is a breath of fresh air in an industry that is absolutely teeming with tiresome, bloated, overlong blockbusters that run way past the two hour mark (*cough*Avengers*cough*). 95% of this film was done with practical effects, physical set pieces, and stunt work.

Make no mistake, the constant, chase-driven motion of the film is jarring, but it is intense and engaging and NEVER boring (which is more than I can say for a lot of other blockbusters that do the same, tired shit over, and over, and OVER again). Some will complain about a lack of plot, but those are the people I would remind that film is still, first and foremost, a visual medium. This could, in essence, pass for a silent film. The thematic elements of the story are told visually; the sexual politics and feminist sentiments are laid bare, wrapped around an action film that thrives on sweeping wide shots and gorgeously insane visuals. Regardless of whether or not the film is your personal cup of tea (and there may be many of you), there is no arguing that the level craftsmanship on display here is, objectively, head and shoulders above most other films in the action-blockbuster genre.

For me, the jury is still out on whether or not I think this is the "action masterpiece" that the (almost unanimously positive) reviews would have you believe. I'd need to see it again without being blindsided by just how batshit crazy the movie is. I do, however, feel like this is a film that MUST do well in order to encourage studios to take more chances and green light films that have the balls to go the places that FURY ROAD does; movies that don't rely on "witty banter" and world dominating villains to drive the overloaded CGI spectacle. It may not be for you, but MAD MAX: FURY ROAD demands to be seen in a theater by everyone who understands that "a movie is not what it is about, but how it is about it." -Roger Ebert

*After seeing it a second time this morning, without the experience being diluted by friends who couldn't stop shaking their heads at the screen, I can confidently give it a 9/10 rating. Superb action film.

Hasn't your daughter watched the Alien films? This is more of a hard PG13 than an R.

She'll be fine.

Top Bottom