• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does anyone else think Immortan Joe is a Darth Vader-level villain? He really stuck in my head as this menacing, over-the-top evil character, who's just so fun to watch.

Compare Joe in this to Vader in the first Star Wars, and I think Joe compares favourably.

Ixion

Does anyone else think Immortan Joe is a Darth Vader-level villain? He really stuck in my head as this menacing, over-the-top evil character, who's just so fun to watch.

Compare Joe in this to Vader in the first Star Wars, and I think Joe compares favourably.

I have to disagree with you.
Joe was introduced well, but he didn't do a whole lot as the movie went on. Whereas Vader fought and killed Obi-Wan.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Immortan Joe has the best villain design since Agent Smith, maybe Vader.

I have to disagree with you.
Joe was introduced well, but he didn't do a whole lot as the movie went on. Whereas Vader fought and killed Obi-Wan.

Yeah, he looks cool and his car is fucking awesome, but I wouldn't say he's better than Vader. Well, original trilogy Vader anyway. Lucas fucking ruined Vader with the prequels.

Mr. Sam

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

My brother would like to go see Mad Max, which is fine by me because I'd like to see it a second time. Unfortunately, the only showings he can make are 3D ones, meaning I'd have to pay through the nose for something that makes the film worse.

I wish post-converted 3D would fuck off. If I'm going to be exploited, at least make the end product better, not worse.

Game4life

Banned
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

My brother would like to go see Mad Max, which is fine by me because I'd like to see it a second time. Unfortunately, the only showings he can make are 3D ones, meaning I'd have to pay through the nose for something that makes the film worse.

I wish post-converted 3D would fuck off. If I'm going to be exploited, at least make the end product better, not worse.

The 3D is perfectly fine. There is no issue at all. The scenes are bright and it is extremely clear. I saw it in an Ultra AVX screen. I would say go for it!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Holy hell, how did I not realize till now that the brides are dressed like Lawrence of Arabia? Mind blown.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

It looks amazing in 3D. It's a really well done conversion. I mentioned before that my GF didn't even know it was a conversion, she thought it was shot in 3D

Nux and Immortan Joe comic is pretty cool, glad I bought it. Immortan Joe's backstory is badass.
I'm looking forward to the next one.

Also, I'm going to see this again on saturday. It had been 10 years since I'd last been to the cinema and I've never bothered going there twice for the same film.

Saw this in D-Box yesterday for my second viewing.
It's the only movie I've ever wanted to splurge on those seats for and it was well worth it.
Some of the tilting around corner seemed lame, but the revving of the engines at various speeds and the shake of gunshots were really nice to experience.
I'm glad I spent the extra money.

lemmykoopa

Sorry yeah I meant Gareth Evans. I would agree that this is better than both Raid movies but they're still the only two recent action movies that can even hold a candle to this imo. Fury road wns out through sheer inventiveness and depth. Theres so much going on besides the action, which is already genre best.

Eh the Raid movies were made with only a fraction of the Mad max budget. Not comparable. Give Gareth Evans 100 mil to play with and I guarantee you the result will be spectacular.

kris.

Banned
Hope this isn't old news, I just found out. The soundtrack is getting a vinyl pressing:

MMFR_Cover_A_1024x1024.jpg

The soundtrack's composer Junkie XL utilized the movie’s vast landscape to explore a diverse range of musical territory, from beating drums to sweeping strings and electric guitar-driven operatic themes, utilizing nearly 200 instruments. “The score includes almost everything in a composer’s arsenal. The instrumentation ranges from big, brutal percussion and an 80-voice choir, with string sections and musical sound design, and everything in between. I used anything I could get my hands on.”

This limited edition pressing features original artwork by Boneface, and is housed in a die-cut slip cover, with two interchangeable inserts (the titular Max and the film's big bad Immortan Joe).

Mondo exclusive version pressed on 180 Gram White Vinyl with Silver Color-In-Color in honor of the War Boys going Chrome in preparation for Valhalla.

I want this infinitely badly.
edit: son of a bitch should've read the last page GUHHHHHHHHHH

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Is there some universal hate of 3D I'm not aware of. The 3D was fabulous with this.

Booked tickets for another IMAX 3D showing tomorrow night. Just had to see this on the big screen a second time. Had to book a midnight showing though since Tomorrowland is playing the entire day with the exception of the night show.

I don't like 3D either. Something about how it's slightly blurry and sort pops out of the screen gives me a huge headache every time. And then most of the time I barely even notice the difference anyways.
I get people dislike it but it seemed like it was a major crisis he was hoping to be consoled by a presumed majority of people with a similar opinion.

I've seen one blurry 3D movie and that was Guardians of the Galaxy, first viewing. My second viewing was fine. It's not the 3d but maybe the projector or theater itself.

Ploid 3.0

I didn't know there were 4 Mad Max movies before this. I don't remember seeing any of them. Worth looking at?

Is the Water World movie one of them? I remember not seeing that movie and I should probably google if it's a Mad Max movie actually.

Ok I know why I haven't seen any of those movies, and it was 3. They are really old.

I didn't know there were 4 Mad Max movies before this. I don't remember seeing any of them. Worth looking at?

Is the Water World movie one of them? I remember not seeing that movie and I should probably google if it's a Mad Max movie actually.
Just 3.

Waterworld is something else.

Some will tell you 2 is the best but watch em all. They all have different tones but similar themes.

Edit per your edit: You're not skipping out simply because they're old are you?

Sure, Furiosa and the other women were on the same level of morality as Max and Nux. But there were no women as bad as the evil men in charge.

The evil men in charge are barely human. I don't think a female freak for the sake of equity would have added anything. The point of the movie is that there's only one big boss who rules everything. You can't put another character, female or not, on his level and another freaky lieutenant isn't necessary IMO

The evil men in charge are barely human. I don't think a female freak for the sake of equity would have added anything. The point of the movie is that there's only one big boss who rules everything. You can't put another character, female or not, on his level and another freaky lieutenant isn't necessary IMO
In this world, males are weapons, females are child bearers/milk providers.
Furiosa WAS the bad female on his level, in a sense. If we got a movie before this took place, we'd have our big, bad, black paint wearing, mechanical armed female freak.

Ploid 3.0

Just 3.

Waterworld is something else.

Some will tell you 2 is the best but watch em all. They all have different tones but similar themes.

Edit per your edit: You're not skipping out simply because they're old are you?

Haha no, just that the fact they were so old explained why I haven't seen them. I think I actually saw the Thunderdome but was way too young to remember much or understand it. I can probably catch them on netflix or googleplay.

Also thanks for the informative reply.

In this world, males are weapons, females are child bearers/milk providers.
Furiosa WAS the bad female on his level, in a sense. If we got a movie before this took place, we'd have our big, bad, black paint wearing, mechanical armed female freak.

Yes, and that's why another female lieutenant wouldn't have been necessary when there's already one. If anything, there wasn't enough screentime for the two other bosses, adding another one wouldn't have helped at all.

I really need to see this movie again. The begining of the screening was spoiled by people talking and commenting everything on screen. I had to stand up and walk over the side seats to tell some couple to shut up.

Haha no, just that the fact they were so old explained why I haven't seen them. I think I actually saw the Thunderdome but was way too young to remember much or understand it. I can probably catch them on netflix or googleplay.

Also thanks for the informative reply.
No problem. And sorry, I read it as "oh it's old, of course I didn't/wouldn't watch them" lol.

Hiltz

I came back from watching Fury Road. It was quite entertaining and loud with its fast-paced, dynamic action scenes and a few memorable characters along for the ride. Two thumbs up.

Saw it today. HOLY SHIT. People sure weren´t exaggerating.

The action in this movie is just insane. Not just at the production values (I LOVE the practical effects. It just looks so good) but also literally insane. As in, only the crazies would do shit like this. Swinging around on poles, while shit explodes around them, picking people out of cars. Cars just breaking apart on impact. Just beautiful to look at.

Soundtrack was awesome, and it´s great that it sounded like the Flamethrower-Guitar Dude and the drummers were playing it. Can´t wait what Junkie XL will do together with Zimmer for BvS. Just blood pumping. Go go go.

Hardy was great as Mad Max. Right amount of crazy and also hilarious in physical comedy. The expressions this man can pull off being crazy, likable and just funny is great. Just wish there was a bit more of him, he seems like he was just along for the ride.

Which was completely redeemed by Charlize Theron. Furiousa was amazing. She was the actual main character of the movie. And i love it. Played great off Max, overall bad-ass.

Where´s my sequel announcement WB? WHERE?!

I´m still all giddy.

gabbo

Soundtrack was awesome, and it´s great that it sounded like the Flamethrower-Guitar Dude and the drummers were playing it. Can´t wait what Junkie XL will do together with Zimmer for BvS. Just blood pumping. Go go go.

Am I alone in not really liking a lot of the soundtrack? I just felt it clashed occasionally with the goings on on-screen (the scene where Furiosa falls to her knees especially)

DocSeuss

Finally got to see it. A friend told me it looked like something I'd written, and he wasn't kidding. It appealed to nearly every sensibility I have.

What I would give to be as good a storyteller as George Miller.

Wow.

My roommate and I were pretty curious about this too. Should have been a bunch of women among the warboys. Furiosa being alone amongst them and more human seemed kinda weird. Guitar Guy could have been a woman, for instance.

Am I alone in not really liking a lot of the soundtrack? I just felt it clashed occasionally with the goings on on-screen (the scene where Furiosa falls to her knees especially)

Favorite song in the film. Perfect throwback to classic cinema. But... I don't like the soundtrack on its own.

ronco2000

What music would you have recommended in that scene...a Taylor Swift song?!!! I love the score for that scene.

Quixzlizx

I'm not much of a movie guy... I normally see less than 5 movies a year in the theater, and almost all of them because of an invitation.

This might be the first movie I go back to see a second time on my own accord.

I loved the world, loved the atmosphere, loved the dialogue, loved the battles, loved the fight choreography, loved the music, and especially loved the guy wailing on a guitar/flamethrower. This movie didn't even need good characters to be spellbinding.

Top Bottom