• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

I'm really liking my new TES+ but there's a fairly quiet popping that comes from the joystick when I barely move it in any direction, like I'll get the pop sound before I get the click from the micro switch. But it doesn't happen every time I move the stick.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Just opened my TE2+ and noticed something sounded like it was rattling inside when moving it. Found a lone black nut on the inside where the cable is stored. Is this just a spare or did something come loose?

Check if its one of the 8x hex screws that hold the bezel down from the inside.

RS4-

Just opened my TE2+ and noticed something sounded like it was rattling inside when moving it. Found a lone black nut on the inside where the cable is stored. Is this just a spare or did something come loose?

What fell out of mine sort of looked like a washer, but not really.

Eoyote

Neo Member

I've looked all over the inside. I can't figure if this nut was even attached to anything. If I'm not mistaken, the inside isn't using any black nuts. They all look to be chrome in color.

This is my first fightstick, so I'm not familiar with the guts. What else should I check?

Here are some pictures:

NjsmW6f.jpg

XGUYS9T.jpg

EReBIkG.jpg

ZOhf35c.jpg

QwOeJAL.jpg

4DU00Hw.jpg

hNr4MwV.jpg

GGCzMHH.jpg

I've looked all over the inside. I can't figure if this nut was even attached to anything. If I'm not mistaken, the inside isn't using any black nuts. They all look to be chrome in color.

This is my first fightstick, so I'm not familiar with the guts. What else should I check?

Here are some pictures:

Check the hex screws holding the side panels, if one of them spins around loose, it was supposed to be there.

Eoyote

Neo Member
Check the hex screws holding the side panels, if one of them spins around loose, it was supposed to be there.

Are you referring to the white plastic sections on either side of the stick? If so, I just checked each hex screw and they're all snug.

Does anyone know the difference between the Hori Fight Commander 4 and the newer Hori Fight Command?

Is it just the shape and PC support?

OriginalDon

Neo Member
Finally got my shipping date for my te2+ from amazon. I ordered the stick on February 3rd with two day shipping and it's coming on March 7th, next monday :D

Wallach

Does anyone know the difference between the Hori Fight Commander 4 and the newer Hori Fight Command?

Is it just the shape and PC support?

I have both of these, got the newer one a couple days ago.

Build quality wise they seem identical. Same plastics used, and the d-pad and buttons are essentially the same. There is a little bit more tactility in the new FC (particularly in the X/Sq/Tr/Ci buttons, the R1/R2 face buttons feel pretty similar to the FC4) but otherwise they are hard to distinguish.

The FC4 has a lock that you can disengage that will allow you to rotate the d-pad up to 20 degrees. I don't know who would use this but it is not present on the newer FC. There is also no diagonal sensitivity adjustment on the newer FC; it seems to be using the default setting compared to the FC4, but the differences weren't huge on any of the three settings of the FC4 and it is quite responsive. Molding and plastic on the d-pad is otherwise identical.

The shape is the primary difference between the two. The FC4 is molded differently on the left side compared to the right; the left side of the pad has a longer handle so that you have a better grip support if you want to use the pad with the claw hand position for the button side. Personally I think this is not ideal as it'll deprive you of access to the trigger buttons (which are highly usable compared to most pad triggers for fighting games), but it is a noticeable difference to the newer FC which is not usable with the claw position unless you place the pad in your lap.

The newer FC's shape is sort of like if the Genesis and Saturn pads had a fat baby. It's quite comfortable, though personally the grip is not quite as good as the FC4s regardless of the grip used. In particular the top R1 button is more of a reach if you are trying to use only your index finger to activate both triggers. The index finger sits more naturally square on the R2 trigger and requires a bit of hand shifting to hit R1; on the FC4, the index finger naturally lands between R1 and R2, and requires no hand shifting to hit either trigger comfortably.

Where the newer FC has an advantage though is that it has not just a PS3/PS4 toggle but a third PC toggle option, which switches the pad to XInput. This will allow it to work natively on any PC game as it can output in DirectInput (PS4 setting) or XInput (PC setting), whereas the FC4 will only output in DirectInput (requires an XInput wrapper to work on a game like SFV on PC).

Overall, I would probably recommend the FC4 over the newer FC unless you want the native XInput mode support.

Build quality wise they seem identical. Same plastics used, and the d-pad and buttons are essentially the same. There is a little bit more tactility in the new FC (particularly in the X/Sq/Tr/Ci buttons, the R1/R2 face buttons feel pretty similar to the FC4) but otherwise they are hard to distinguish.

The FC4 has a lock that you can disengage that will allow you to rotate the d-pad up to 20 degrees. I don't know who would use this but it is not present on the newer FC. There is also no diagonal sensitivity adjustment on the newer FC; it seems to be using the default setting compared to the FC4, but the differences weren't huge on any of the three settings of the FC4 and it is quite responsive. Molding and plastic on the d-pad is otherwise identical.

The shape is the primary difference between the two. The FC4 is molded differently on the left side compared to the right; the left side of the pad has a longer handle so that you have a better grip support if you want to use the pad with the claw hand position for the button side. Personally I think this is not ideal as it'll deprive you of access to the trigger buttons (which are highly usable compared to most pad triggers for fighting games), but it is a noticeable difference to the newer FC which is not usable with the claw position unless you place the pad in your lap.

The newer FC's shape is sort of like if the Genesis and Saturn pads had a fat baby. It's quite comfortable, though personally the grip is not quite as good as the FC4s regardless of the grip used. In particular the top R1 button is more of a reach if you are trying to use only your index finger to activate both triggers. The index finger sits more naturally square on the R2 trigger and requires a bit of hand shifting to hit R1; on the FC4, the index finger naturally lands between R1 and R2, and requires no hand shifting to hit either trigger comfortably.

Where the newer FC has an advantage though is that it has not just a PS3/PS4 toggle but a third PC toggle option, which switches the pad to XInput. This will allow it to work natively on any PC game as it can output in DirectInput (PS4 setting) or XInput (PC setting), whereas the FC4 will only output in DirectInput (requires an XInput wrapper to work on a game like SFV on PC).

Overall, I would probably recommend the FC4 over the newer FC unless you want the native XInput mode support.

Wow, thanks for the in-depth comparison! I told myself I wanted a stick, but in reality, I won't be able to dedicate as much time as I want to to SFV, so I think a pad will do me just fine.

I'm surprised at how well the DS4 is working for me so far, but certainly helps that I'm just maining Cammy right now.

Biolink

Is modding the Tes+ Just like modding the first generation of TE's?

If that's the only hangup then I'll just grab one of those. The 2nd hand market for TE2's is stupid.

The FC4 has a lock that you can disengage that will allow you to rotate the d-pad up to 20 degrees. I don't know who would use this but it is not present on the newer FC. There is also no diagonal sensitivity adjustment on the newer FC; it seems to be using the default setting compared to the FC4, but the differences weren't huge on any of the three settings of the FC4 and it is quite responsive. Molding and plastic on the d-pad is otherwise identical. If anything I'll have a backup controller when friends come over.

Thank you for the great write up. I had already ordered the new FC, but I just might pick up the FC4 after reading this. It's only 29.99 on Amazon currently and I think I'll snag one at that price.

//ARCANUM

If you can, swap out those buttons with sanwa and for the joystick replace it with a JLF. Will require some modding work but it's as easy as changing the disc in your ps4. Well not as easy but almost as easy...

I also just got this stick (the alpha), literally just came in the mail an hour ago. It doesn't feel bad to me, but I've never used a high end stick so what do I know.

I'd be interested in modding but my modding skills are ZERO. I once opened a dreamcast to adjust one screw on the laser, lol. That's about it. Any good guides specifically for this stick?

Also, I read somewhere else that after a few weeks with this stick, the buttons start failing. Anyone have it for a while and have a bad or good experience?

Biolink

I also just got this stick (the alpha), literally just came in the mail an hour ago. It doesn't feel bad to me, but I've never used a high end stick so what do I know.

I'd be interested in modding but my modding skills are ZERO. I once opened a dreamcast to adjust one screw on the laser, lol. That's about it. Any good guides specifically for this stick?

Also, I read somewhere else that after a few weeks with this stick, the buttons start failing. Anyone have it for a while and have a bad or good experience?

You can flip the buttons out and exchange with Sanwa/Seimitsu 30 MM buttons, and you can also flip the stock stick out.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10560365/#Comment_10560365
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10573842/#Comment_10573842

I have a TE2+ on order from Amazon, when I got it there was a message that any stick ordered after 2/26 probably wouldn't ship until April. I ordered mine a few days before that, has MC said when the next batch might be out?

Also have they responded to the fight pad controversy? I was actually going to get one of those originally since they're so much cheaper than a stick but the negative reviews scared me off. Are they going to do a recall or change the manufacturing process or anything?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I have a TE2+ on order from Amazon, when I got it there was a message that any stick ordered after 2/26 probably wouldn't ship until April. I ordered mine a few days before that, has MC said when the next batch might be out?

Also have they responded to the fight pad controversy? I was actually going to get one of those originally since they're so much cheaper than a stick but the negative reviews scared me off. Are they going to do a recall or change the manufacturing process or anything?

Dunno what's up about amazon, but I've been hunting these like a hawk the past few weeks. They apparently took more orders on madcatz, newegg, and gamestop, and got stock in on last thursday, the third (sold out). I ordered a few days before on madcatz.com and they fulfilled my order on thursday, so maybe there's just a lot of orders on amazon?

Theres a really limited stock at local gamestops, I would check their online website to see if there are any in stock around your area.

I'm kind of hesitant to get one, I'm going to keep my Amazon order for now but $200+ is a lot of money for a controller I'll likely only use with one game.

I really wish they hadn't made the $80 stick a mini travel model, I was really happy with the $80 stick they made for IV.

The fight pad would be tempting too if it weren't for the quality issues.

Hyun Sai

Thank you for the great write up. I had already ordered the new FC, but I just might pick up the FC4 after reading this. It's only 29.99 on Amazon currently and I think I'll snag one at that price.

I also have both pads, just received the new FG, and I must add something : the feeling of the D-Pads is different. The FG4 is more "loose", less rigid than the new one. Both are great, but you should know.

Another thing, you can't start the PS4 with both of those pads. You have to do it manually (or using the DS4 and switching controller).

Otherwise both are definitely great products. I'll stick with the FG4 for now to see if there is any problems related to the rotating pads, and keep the newest one for friends coming other or if the FG4 dies on me.

Biolink

Thank you for the info! Still looks like id have to solder or clip things. Which is definitely beyond my knowledge base lol

Sorry man.

That's why it's always better IMO to save the money if you have to and buy the higher quality stick when you can. Nothing feels worse than regret.

You can see if you can find an older model arcade stick and get it dual modded to work on Ps4 or you can go the converter route. http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/197708/brook-ps4-xboxone-controller-converters-thread/p1

Alternatively the Venom looks pretty popular on SRK and it seems to be pretty easy to add artwork to it and replace the stock buttons with higher quality buttons according to the thread(The stick sounded like a harder job)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-So...017812?hash=item2ee99f2994:g:w0wAAOSwEgVWTbB6
Mods
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/195434/venom-arcade-stick-ps4-ps3/p4

prateeko

Scalpers are full on with these. Mad Catz missing out on that fight money with no sticks for sale.

It's annoying that they still are not available. I still have my original fight stick for the PS3 but figure a PS4 may not be a bad idea since I could see some games not supporting them...

Also, damn. Price has shot up!!

watdaeff4

It's annoying that they still are not available. I still have my original fight stick for the PS3 but figure a PS4 may not be a bad idea since I could see some games not supporting them...

Also, damn. Price has shot up!!

Keep an eye on the Mad Catz store directly. I looked early last week and they were accepting preorders for a 3/3 release date. Ordered on ~2/28 was shipped 3/3 and will be at my house tomorrow.

Peltz

I just got my TES+ to go along with my TE2. I didn't expect this, but, build quality on the TE2 feels like 10x better than the TES. Plus... look at this. The artwork or some sort of plastic is like... sticking out from under the buttons.

12828540_10101313281340570_2471811923022312831_o.jpg

I'm very disappointed in this :-(

I bought this on Amazon. Does anyone know the return policy?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just got my TES+ to go along with my TE2. I didn't expect this, but, build quality on the TE2 feels like 10x better than the TES. Plus... look at this. The artwork or some sort of plastic is like... sticking out from under the buttons.

I've heard it's protective plastic which you peel off

Groof

Damn that sucks. Mine doesn't have that at all. Hope you can get it sorted.

Well I got another 25% off my TE2+ order from Amazon which means I paid $130/175 USD/CAD including taxes. I wouldn't have kept it otherwise as it does not feel like a high quality and premium product. Too many minor challenges that really take away from how epic these sticks could have been. I could not recommend this arcade stick to my friends at an MSRP of $350. So before any Canadian brothers consider spending close to $400 after taxes on a gaming device I encourage you to research custom purchase options of what you could get in that price-range.

Biolink

Well I got another 25% off my TE2+ order from Amazon which means I paid $130/175 USD/CAD including taxes. I wouldn't have kept it otherwise as it does not feel like a high quality and premium product. Too many minor challenges that really take away from how epic these sticks could have been. I could not recommend this arcade stick to my friends at an MSRP of $350. So before any Canadian brothers consider spending close to $400 after taxes on a gaming device I encourage you to research custom purchase options of what you could get in that price-range.

$350 just to drop combos ouch

Peltz

I just noticed, the stick on the TES is a bit longer and feels tighter than the TE2. Is it supposed to be different? I thought they'd both have the JLF.

Edzi

No word on the XInput support for the new sticks? The KI PC release is getting closer and I really don't want to have to buy another stick just to play it.

I just noticed, the stick on the TES is a bit longer and feels tighter than the TE2. Is it supposed to be different? I thought they'd both have the JLF.

As far as I know, they're the same stick. I'd guess it might have something to do with the plexi being thicker on the TE2+.

Armaly

Just dled the new drivers to get my te2+ working on pc. Anyone manage to get the quick restart working for training mode?

Edit: Nvm , it's l3 not the touchpad.

Amazon must have just gotten more stock of TE2+, they're shipping mine that's been on backorder on Monday.

Newegg too, I had one backordered there and they notified that they got it in stock, cancelled that one.

vg260

Anyone have weirdness with the new Mad Catz SFV stick driver?

It worked fine on my Windows 7 machine. However, I just installed it on my Windows 10 machine and in the controller properties a generic HID icon shows up with two controller listings within it: the TES+ and a Qanba (which is a different stick I used previously but wasn't actually plugged in.)

Probably due to Windows 10 wonkiness I guess? Any idea how to remedy this?

I'll try uninstalling the Mad Catz driver first and see what happens.

Koeta

I been waiting for this driver to come out forever just found out it's been out for awhile now :(

link to the driver download I found on the Official site since I don't see it posted yet - http://www.madcatz.com/downloads/

So far on Windows 10 no issues, if something comes up I'll update here.

Top Bottom