• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Manac0r

Damn, just got the e-mail that the TE2+ I ordered last week is waiting for pickup. Still kinda undecided if I should actually buy it... My round 1 PS3 TE no longer works on PC but has been working fine in SFV for PS4 (if there's any lag I'm not noticing it).

Yeah I still keep hovering over the cancel order button... I mean it's birthday gift to myself so it's not about cost, but more about if I need it. My old TE stick is still going strong, however the new TE2+ is customisable, might have a dab at sorting some art templates for it. Also switching out buttons and gates is much easier, so in the future you can always replace parts easier. I have decided that as it is my birthday coming up, it should be about something i WANT not need, so I guess I'll be keeping my order... But I feel you in your situation....

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I read about those non-sodering PCBs, earlier in the thread. I've got a self-made stick based on a X360 pad's PCB with USB. I probably will not be able to use this with the PS4, as I understand :)

Sooo, can someone point me into the direction of one of these soder-less PCBs that I could use to make it up to date for PS4 again? Do I only need this and would be good to go? Because fuck, why did I even bother with the whole sodering business lol.

Any chance Mad Catz will sell different art for the sticks? Kinda seems like a no-brainer for them to do so.

I mean, they probably could, but I would imagine most of it would end up being generic, non-game specific art in order to avoid licensing costs. Plus, there's definitely fun in coming up with something yourself and getting it done instead.

Luigi87

^
Pretty much that.

There's also a satisfaction of finally getting an idea you really like down. I spent several days trying to come up with art for my sticks (which includes looking at other people's custom sticks for reference and ideas) before I finally figured out how I wanted it to look.

I mean, they probably could, but I would imagine most of it would end up being generic, non-game specific art in order to avoid licensing costs. Plus, there's definitely fun in coming up with something yourself and getting it done instead.

But they have the SFV license for the sticks, wouldn't that just carry over to swapable art?

But they have the SFV license for the sticks, wouldn't that just carry over to swapable art?

They had it for 4 as well, but in 8 years of that game in the TE range they only did a smattering of designs, and always on a new stick, not selling swappable artwork alone. It really is mega easy to mod the TE sticks with custom art though, so you can do it if you're so inclined.

RaidenZR

This has probably been covered but I skimmed and couldn't find an answer. Maybe someone can just tell me really quick--

Is there any word on whether the legacy PS3 sticks will get some improvements? Currently, the controller shuts off if you leave your PS4 Dual Shock disconnected from the PS4 (auto-shut off timer kicks in). And to no one's surprise, the legacy stick can't wake the game, system or even have the Home button function as PS4 Home button. Seems really odd that it's lacking these fundamentally useful abilities, but that's how it is.

I'd like to dodge buying a new stick if I can afford it, but so far it seems like they've implemented the bare bones functionality and called it good enough. Really sucks to have to keep backing out to the main menu every time I get a phone call or take a bathroom break and step away from the machine for a few minutes.

In any event, to keep this sorta on topic, what are the differences between the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai and the Mad Catz FightStick TES+ / TE2+? Is it just the sticks are primarily using different parts? I'm just wondering if the HORI Kai is a suitable alternative and keeps things a little cheaper.

Thanks!

Floex

Been looking at the Hori 4 mini, has anyone here used it/can recommend it? Back in the day I went all out and bought the TE stick, barely gave it a chance due to the huge setup and quickly sold it. I never did twig with the stick but want to learn, seems like it would be a good place to start, no?

Dremark

Banned
Thanks.

Thanks, it's strange you mention that as I was thinking about playing Darius Burst on it while I was in work. It's a fantastic game. There are a few older style games that I'm thinking about now that may worth trying again with the stick.

This is going to be another potentially idiotic question for anybody who knows the answer. I know that it's a very customisable stick, you can change the image if you want to but other customisations do people do to it? It's not something that I'm even considering but what are the differences between the Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons?

I'm so excited about getting it tomorrow, going to find the arcade stick thread on here and read up about a few things.

Yeah, if you like shooters and older style arcade games I think the stick will be a good choice for you. I switched over from a pad because I really like fighting games and shooters and while it does take some time to transition from fighting games, shooters I took like a fish to water on.

Aside from art mods people often swap stick buttons out, and some make the buttons light on.

Basically the different sticks and buttons are all personal preference, if you went with a cheaper stick you'd have to make a decision, but the one you got has high quality parts in it so you're set for now. the only option I would really consider making in your shoes right now is an octagon restricter. Basically you'll have the end of the stick limited to an octagon at the end rather than a square and it will be easier to tell which direction you're pressing. It's about $3 USD and you unscrew the old one and screw this on, if you don't like it swap it back. You could also switch to a bat top if you'd like and I think those go for like 5.

If you want to read highly detailed info about different parts Slagcoin (http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html) has a great resource on it you can look at. If doesn't cover Korean parts, but there's only one type that would really fit your stick (Crowin) and that's something you would't really want to look into unless you wanted a really stiff stick.

squadr0n

Any Ideas for when these will be back in stock at Amazon.com? There is a Blue Chin Li stick at a Gamestop about 50 miles from my house but I really want the Ryu one. Just not sure how long I should wait.

Opto

Banned
i had positive impressions at first. its ok if you play on a table. might slight around a bit but i thought it was comfortable enough. not good for lap play as its too light so it'll move around. also its not very wide so you have to adjust how you sit for it to be comfortable resting on your legs. stick and buttons were alright. i haven't touched a TE stick since SSF4 AE though so they might be awful in comparison to actual sanwa.

deal breaker for me was when one of the buttons started getting stuck on day two. unlike the TE you can't open it up easily and doing so invalidates the warranty as the last screw is underneath the sticker.

long story short. i returned it. if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, you could probably buy older used TE stick or go for the Hori HRAP4 if you want something new. i picked up the latter after returning my alpha. it feels sturdy and well built, buttons are better, and sits comfortably on my lap. pretty satisfied with my purchase so far. wished i had jumped on sooner when it was $99 on Frys. $150 aint bad though...
What do you mean by sticky button? did it constantly register that buttons input? or did it get stuck maybe once in a way

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
i had positive impressions at first. its ok if you play on a table. might slight around a bit but i thought it was comfortable enough. not good for lap play as its too light so it'll move around. also its not very wide so you have to adjust how you sit for it to be comfortable resting on your legs. stick and buttons were alright. i haven't touched a TE stick since SSF4 AE though so they might be awful in comparison to actual sanwa.

deal breaker for me was when one of the buttons started getting stuck on day two. unlike the TE you can't open it up easily and doing so invalidates the warranty as the last screw is underneath the sticker.

long story short. i returned it. if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, you could probably buy older used TE stick or go for the Hori HRAP4 if you want something new. i picked up the latter after returning my alpha. it feels sturdy and well built, buttons are better, and sits comfortably on my lap. pretty satisfied with my purchase so far. wished i had jumped on sooner when it was $99 on Frys. $150 aint bad though...

I can concur with these Alpha impressions. At $80 the quality is just shoddy. Buttons feel sticky(as in they literally don't depress nicely as if the casing surrounding them has a slight layer of honey causing friction for accurate presses).

I like the tiny form factor but it doesn't sit well on a table as the rubber padding underneath still causes it to slide and jerk about during use. Takes practice getting accustomed to it on a lap as well. But really the sticky buttons are a deal breaker and I plan to replace it soon myself. Shame as the Madcatz product line during the SFIV era was fantastic. This feels like a return of the16/32-bit Madcatz where you expected junk from the brand.

SRTtoZ

Been looking at the Hori 4 mini, has anyone here used it/can recommend it? Back in the day I went all out and bought the TE stick, barely gave it a chance due to the huge setup and quickly sold it. I never did twig with the stick but want to learn, seems like it would be a good place to start, no?

It's actually pretty decent for the price($40), and it's what I'm using until the TE2+ gets its back orders straightened out. It's small but it performs well if you know how or are trying to learn stick. It's a good starter stick to see if you want to make the plunge into the real good sticks.

FSLink

Banned
How big of an improvement is the TE2+ stick for SFV over the old TE stick for SF IV (360)?

I play on PS4 and PC and use a Cronos Max to get the stick working on PS4. Apart from superficial things like touchpad, clips for straps is there anything else goj g on under the hood? I have a TE2+ stick on order but considering my old stick is still going strong.... Any inputs?

Not much outside of the convenient touchpad + L3/R3 buttons. Also being easily moddable, and I do like that you can store the USB cable inside of the stick, as well as having a place for a screwdriver/extra buttons.

Not sure if you're a tourney player, but the Cronos Max is also banned at most places, so that'd be another reason to go with a PS4 stick. Switch it out to the Brooks Converter later on (whenever they go back in stock lol) if you can.

well shit, looks like this is an issue

i will let you know how i fare with the grease - i've seen a bunch of posts online that say a squeaky jlf is most likely just in need of some lube

What lube should I use?

Ky?

Lewd, I know. But I'm serious. What kind of lube should I buy when I get my stick just in case?

Manac0r

So for the SF V TE2+ stick to work natively on PC SFV.. Who needs to update? Is it Capcom for SF V or Mad Catz with a firmware update?

Wallach

So for the SF V TE2+ stick to work natively on PC SFV.. Who needs to update? Is it Capcom for SF V or Mad Catz with a firmware update?

Either or, really. Whichever happens first; MadCatz can update the TE2+ to have an XInput mode, or Capcom can patch native DirectInput support into the PC version.

This has probably been covered but I skimmed and couldn't find an answer. Maybe someone can just tell me really quick--

Is there any word on whether the legacy PS3 sticks will get some improvements? Currently, the controller shuts off if you leave your PS4 Dual Shock disconnected from the PS4 (auto-shut off timer kicks in). And to no one's surprise, the legacy stick can't wake the game, system or even have the Home button function as PS4 Home button. Seems really odd that it's lacking these fundamentally useful abilities, but that's how it is.

I'd like to dodge buying a new stick if I can afford it, but so far it seems like they've implemented the bare bones functionality and called it good enough. Really sucks to have to keep backing out to the main menu every time I get a phone call or take a bathroom break and step away from the machine for a few minutes.

In any event, to keep this sorta on topic, what are the differences between the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai and the Mad Catz FightStick TES+ / TE2+? Is it just the sticks are primarily using different parts? I'm just wondering if the HORI Kai is a suitable alternative and keeps things a little cheaper.

Thanks!

just turn off the auto shut off on the ps4 menu for the controller. I have been using my ps3 stick with SFV and works flawlessly, I have played for 3 hours straight and not a single disconnect

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What lube should I use?

Ky?

Lewd, I know. But I'm serious. What kind of lube should I buy when I get my stick just in case?

hey hey now

people recommended shin etsu grease to me, so i picked up a tube. i was already familiar with the brand from back in my gear-head days (it's used in a lot of Hondas) so i'm only too happy to reuse it.

vg260

Either or, really. Whichever happens first; MadCatz can update the TE2+ to have an XInput mode, or Capcom can patch native DirectInput support into the PC version.

Hopefully both. X-input is the default PC standard now, and new Hori sticks are starting to support X-input, so I hope MC follows through with their firmware updates plans. I'm not sure how it would work, though since there's not a PC-mode switch like Hori models.

Wallach

Hopefully both. X-input is the default PC standard now, and new Hori sticks are starting to support X-input, so I hope MC follows through with their firmware updates plans. I'm not sure how it work work, though since there's not a PC-mode switch like Hori models.

Probably something like holding a particular button while plugging in the device.

I got both of my TES+ sticks already. I got them for $165 CAD each (~120 USD) from Amazon.

I sold it a while ago, but my impression was the build quality on the old original TE was somewhat better. Also, the box they come in sucks compared to the original TE which was much more sturdy and convenient for storing the stick in between uses.

Still, main reason I sold the old TE was because it was a nightmare to get working on PC and I could only get it to work on one PC after having a hell of a time sourcing a PCIe adapter with the right USB chipset in it because they used some awful USB 1.1 controller inside. The new TES+ work perfectly in every PC I have with no fooling around.

I don't understand, why does it need an update? It shows up as a standard USB game controller already... worked out of the box and was playing Metal Slug X on it right away.

Wallach

I got both of my TES+ sticks already. I got them for $165 CAD each (~120 USD) from Amazon.

I sold it a while ago, but my impression was the build quality on the old original TE was somewhat better. Also, the box they come in sucks compared to the original TE which was much more sturdy and convenient for storing the stick in between uses.

Still, main reason I sold the old TE was because it was a nightmare to get working on PC and I could only get it to work on one PC after having a hell of a time sourcing a PCIe adapter with the right USB chipset in it because they used some awful USB 1.1 controller inside. The new TES+ work perfectly in every PC I have with no fooling around.

I don't understand, why does it need an update? It shows up as a standard USB game controller already... worked out of the box and was playing Metal Slug X on it right away.

It's not that it doesn't work on PC. Windows will recognize DirectInput devices just fine. It's SFV that doesn't have native support for those devices on PC. It only has support for XInput devices.

On a side note that FightPad Pro I ordered came in today. Wherf. The directional pad is pretty much as bad as reported. Really unfortunate because the rest of the controller seems pretty solid (though there are some reports out there of sticking Circle buttons). Quite comfortable in the hand. Would have preferred L2/R2 triggers to be buttons like the FC4 instead of actual triggers, given this is supposed to be a fighting game pad. There's no saving the directional pad, though. Almost wonder if something went awry in the move to production. I find it hard to believe this design was prototyped and not caught out.

Pretty bummed about that one. I still don't have my regular Fighting Commander pad in yet (the one without the rotating directional pad and XInput support) to compare, probably around the end of the month. But for pads right now I can only recommend the Fighting Commander 4.

demigod

Need some help if anyone has opened up their ps3/360 sf4 tournament edition stick before. So i opened up mine to replace the gate, one of the five black wires wasn't connected. I don't know if it was like that or if when i opened it up it yanked it out or what. Can anyone tell me if its supposed to be connected somewhere? I put the gate on and now pushing up on the joystick isn't working. These glue are making it hard to take apart the connectors.

Edit : nm i fixed iT. The wire was shorter than the others and the shield covering the copper was already stripped, fuckin madcatz quality. Had to piece them back together.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What do you mean by sticky button? did it constantly register that buttons input? or did it get stuck maybe once in a way

For the button to go down all the way I needed to press it in the center. If I pressed it in the top right corner the button would only go down halfway and i'd feel resistance. So much so that I was afraid to push harder for fear of breaking something.

gunstarhero

I can concur with these Alpha impressions. At $80 the quality is just shoddy. Buttons feel sticky(as in they literally don't depress nicely as if the casing surrounding them has a slight layer of honey causing friction for accurate presses).

I like the tiny form factor but it doesn't sit well on a table as the rubber padding underneath still causes it to slide and jerk about during use. Takes practice getting accustomed to it on a lap as well. But really the sticky buttons are a deal breaker and I plan to replace it soon myself. Shame as the Madcatz product line during the SFIV era was fantastic. This feels like a return of the16/32-bit Madcatz where you expected junk from the brand.

Yeah - I picked up the Alpha as a second stick for my 7yr old and I'm glad it's his and not mine. :p

The buttons are my complaint as well - they just suck compared to the semitsus I installed in my GGXrd stick. Other than that, the build isn't bad at all - especially for $80. But the buttons are hot garbage.

ACH1LL3US

My sega saturn usb controller doesnt work on sfv .... it only registers the buttons but the dpad doesnt work :(

Anyone know if they will fix this??

ACH1LL3US

Does your USB controller have a little switch on it to change between LS and DPad?

No, it works on the ps3 just fine and pc too....

Something wrong with legacy support on sfv on ps4. I really want to use the sega usb controller for sfv, I hope capcom fixes this :(

Tansut

I just picked up a Hori Fighting Commander 4 today. Really liking it so far, but I was wondering about something..

For those who have used one for a little while, do you keep your diagonal input sensitivity at normal or have you tinkered with it?

Did anyone order their stick from Madcatz directly? Wondering how long their ground shipping takes and if the sticks originate/ship from CA?

Wallach

I just picked up a Hori Fighting Commander 4 today. Really liking it so far, but I was wondering about something..

For those who have used one for a little while, do you keep your diagonal input sensitivity at normal or have you tinkered with it?

I have it set to the loosest setting. I used it on normal for a long time, though.

So what's the news about Xinput support on TES+/TE2+? I'm starting to get bummed out thinking what games are next that I'll run into that will ONLY work on Xinput controllers on my PC. I am not a fan of clunky middle man software just to get things working.

vg260

So what's the news about Xinput support on TES+/TE2+? I'm starting to get bummed out thinking what games are next that I'll run into that will ONLY work on Xinput controllers on my PC. I am not a fan of clunky middle man software just to get things working.

Last update on Mad Catz twitter is that it's a work in progress.

I really hope they get it working before Killer Instinct, as I don't know if it will support anything other than X-input and I don't think Windows 10 apps will support wrapper programs.

Spizz

Banned
Did anyone order their stick from Madcatz directly? Wondering how long their ground shipping takes and if the sticks originate/ship from CA?
I did, I ordered an Alpha Stick on the 16th. I contacted their Twitter when I didn't receive a confirmation of a shipment even though it was in stock. They said it should arrive this week, and I got the email confirmation yesterday.

Neoxon

I got to spend some quality time with the TES+ Shadaloo stick. It's a thing of beauty, especially in person. And while it's not as solid on my lap as, say, the TE2/TE2+, it doesn't move as much on my lap as the original TE/TES did. I personally prefer heavier sticks, but the TES+ had a decent bit of heft to it. Enough for me to consider getting it to add to my growing arcade stick collection. If any prospective TES+ buyers have any questions, feel free to ask.

Top Bottom