• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 12 Man League can finally start

hgplayer1

we got it in on time.

I seriously cant get into the way Madden feels. I see holes and cant get anywhere near them. running seems to be more about getting to the outside or knowing that your O line is gonna be able to push the D line back almost all the time.

I saw one of my safeties give up a TD by doing one of those stupid reaches for the ball. I thought these DBs were supposed to be smart? I gave up so many 3rd and longs I knew I was gonna lose.

I cant pass the ball without feeling like its going to get INTed anymore.

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!

hgplayer1

I dunno I just dont think Madden FEELS like football. sometimes it feels like watching Xs and Os run an animation of a play. I think the camera has a lot to do with it. I cant see pressure coming and at the same time read the secondary.

maybe i should try playing this game more often than just for league games? :p

I guess I cant expect much from myself. even in ESPN which I feel like I have a better understanding of, I still get beat most of the time.

I thought these DBs were supposed to be smart?

I can't fathom how that question would come up when you prefer ESPN. Surely you would agree these DB's are head and shoulders above espn's?

but, in any case, just practice. you have seen people run up the middle/pass/etc with success in this game, so that is proof positive it can be done. there are problems no doubt, but then again what game doesn't have them

Fifty

hgplayer1 said:
maybe i should try playing this game more often than just for league games? :p

I guess I cant expect much from myself. even in ESPN which I feel like I have a better understanding of, I still get beat most of the time.

That's probably it. I've played (I think) 100 games or so in Madden, and I still have many areas which I can improve upon. Some of it comes from the weaknesses of my team (Boller sucks), but in some other areas (the running game) I like to think that I'm getting closer to mastering the playcalling and knowing when to speedboost/hold on to the ball/dive. Obviously if you only played league games you'd be at a disadvantage, since most of us have a lengthy Madden resume.

Slo

Matrix, can you play tonight sometime?

Also, do you usually have problems with dropped balls while playing with the Texans? I just played a practice game (on All-Madden) and the Texan wide outs were slapping the ball down like it was an autographed copy of the Gigli on VHS. Literally every 3rd play or so they'd have a wide open drop.

Ramirez

GG man,that game had some crazy shit towards the end...3rd and long for you,Byron gets hit the ball flys off a linemen then Fred gets it close to the 1st making the 4th down much easier...that double coverage catch that WR on the right had,then of course the 72 yard run by Deuce with 3 seconds left,lol! :D

Who can stop me ladies!?!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ramirez said:
GG man,that game had some crazy shit towards the end...3rd and long for you,Byron gets hit the ball flys off a linemen then Fred gets it close to the 1st making the 4th down much easier...that double coverage catch that WR on the right had,then of course the 72 yard run by Deuce with 3 seconds left,lol! :D

Who can stop me ladies!?!

GG,

But this game is some bullshit sometimes. How many passes hit my DBs right in the hands and there was no INT? That happened atleast 6 times. That last run play, I guess none of my safeties were back there at all? I had 3 playing deep! Not like you kicked my ass or anything. I think that if my DBs actually caught the INTs that were gift wrapped to them, I would have won. EA when in the hell is the roster update coming?

Ramirez

I agree the game had some BS,but don't try to say the dropped INTs killed you,because on your last TD drive I had you picked twice in the redzone and they dropped both of them which were right in thier breadbaskets.

I played stupid anyways,there was no way I should have been passing 4 wide down on my own 9 yard line,I said to myself right before the play that I was gonna regret calling this,lmao.

dskillzhtown

Ramirez said:
I agree the game had some BS,but don't try to say the dropped INTs killed you,because on your last TD drive I had you picked twice in the redzone and they dropped both of them which were right in thier breadbaskets.

I played stupid anyways,there was no way I should have been passing 4 wide down on my own 9 yard line,I said to myself right before the play that I was gonna regret calling this,lmao.

Yeah, my dropped INTs had no effect on a 7-point game.

You won, I lost. Enjoy it until we meet again on the virtual gridiron.

dskillzhtown

Ramirez said:
Im not trying to say they wouldn't have affected the game,Im just saying my dudes were dropping them too.

It's cool. I am just glad a have a rival now, lol.

Slo

It's not just you, everybody hates the Steelers. So help me God, I will stop Ramirez from winning the Super Bowl by any means necessary. If nobody can beat him, I'll spend the entirety of my next game against the Steelers taking Hit-Stick cheap shots at Duce's knees.

**hums the tune to NFL's Greatest Moments**

Mrbob

hgplayer1 said:
we got it in on time.

I seriously cant get into the way Madden feels. I see holes and cant get anywhere near them. running seems to be more about getting to the outside or knowing that your O line is gonna be able to push the D line back almost all the time.

I saw one of my safeties give up a TD by doing one of those stupid reaches for the ball. I thought these DBs were supposed to be smart? I gave up so many 3rd and longs I knew I was gonna lose.

I cant pass the ball without feeling like its going to get INTed anymore.

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!

My suggestion would be to keep on sticking with it. Practice offline against the CPU. Play the madden challenges. They help out. I used to get beat down like crazy when I first started playing this game. I haven't played Madden for any decent amount of time until Madden 2005. Ask Fifty or FMT, they have given me some serious beatdowns in Madden 2005. They may still in the league....

As for running, are you holding down the A button as soon as you get the ball? I used to do that and I kept on running into my lineman all the time and getting no gains. I've learned that the trick to running is to not use the sprint button until you got a clear shot at reaching the hole. Then you can burst through it and get some big yards. If you hit the A button too soon you'll sprint too early and my end up hitting a lineman or making full stride too soon where a safety, linebacker, or CB can catch you on an angle. Did you remember that last run I made in the fourth quarter on that counter which turned into a 60 yard td run?? I had two lineman in front of me. One blocked your linebacker to the left and the other blocked your linebacker to the right. I didn't sprint on that play until I reached the hole. That let me outrun the safety at the angle he was going so I got around him. If I would have sprinted too soon the safety would have nailed me. BTW sorry about scoring on that last play. I wasn't trying to run up the score. I tried to stop at the two yard line but the momentum carried me into the end zone when I got hit from the safety in the back.

Gamespeed in Madden is much quicker than ESPN. You have to be quicker with everything. Quicker at hitting your reads, quicker at hitting those holes, quicker with playing on defense. I'm a big NFL2Ker as well, and it has taken me awhile to learn how to play at the faster pace of Madden. I'm not where I would like to be yet, but I'm getting better. The nice thing is once you get better at making reads in Madden, it'll make you a much stronger ESPN player. I'm not gonna say ESPN runs like slo motion in comparison, but I can see things in ESPN much more clearly than I ever could before the better I get at Madden. It almost seems like things have slowed down a bit for me in ESPN as far as reads. I'm so used to having to play the fast pace of Madden I can see everything lay out much more clearly in ESPN.

Oh, and on that TD pass, I think you are talking about that one in the first quarter right? I noticed you were in zone coverage, and on on that play I had the outside receiver going straight up with the slot receiver crossing over to the outside of him and then going up. You had one safety covering both of my receivers in zone coverage. I threw the ball as soon as my slot receiver crossed over, leaving your safety inbetween both guys, so that is why I think he jumped straight up.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Slo,I can play tonight after the Astros game.

hgplayer1

dont get me wrong guys, I absolutely KNOW that my lack of play time with this game is the reason Im doing so badly. Its just frustrating to try to run the ball on 2 and very short and get totally stuffed but if when I try to throw in that same situation Ive got guys gettin bumped hard at the line and theres no time to throw the ball since the WRs havent even started to run their routes. not only that, there are some passes I throw that seem to simply get dropped. I just cant figure it out. why is it that some teams seem to bump so much more effectively than others? I cant recall once when Ive brought my coverage in tight that they had a big effect on the WRs not being able to get into thier routes. Im going to try laying of the speed burst button totally unless Im making a run for the end zone. I think I am inadvertently mashing on that button very early on in the play, but I dont see how that should affect my linemen being pushed into the backfield.

bah i got a bye week, guess i should try playing some random games for practice.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yea fuck the stros..im ready to lose to the colts and make it a great nite.

Post here again and Ill go log on.

Slo

Ok, that wasn't fun at all. Nice game Matrix, you worked me good. I don't know what to say guys, I've really stopped enjoying taking beatings every game. :( The only reason I'm still playing this game is out of respect for you guys.

Matrix

Gg...I really dont know what to tell you :(

dskillzhtown

Slo said:
Ok, that wasn't fun at all. Nice game Matrix, you worked me good. I don't know what to say guys, I've really stopped enjoying taking beatings every game. :( The only reason I'm still playing this game is out of respect for you guys.

It's still early, 12-13 weeks left. Anything can happen. Especially in our division.

Fifty

Slo said:

Well can we switch teams? :p Your D seems to need work, and my passing game is Todd Heap, and even he likes to drop clutch passes. Keep me away from sharp objects. I play safety one play...instead of getting a pick like before, I give up on his fastest reciever and it results in a TD. Another TD....I use hit stick way too early and I fuck it up.....Jesus christ, I know why I'm losing, and it's such a small margin of error.

edit: There is nothing more depressing (ok, maybe Slo has a case) than having to mount a hail mary drive with 26 seconds on the clock with Kyle Boller, and Kevin Johnson as your #1 WR.

Slo

A good night's sleep helped with my frustration. :)

Mav, I really don't know. It seems like things either click or they don't, it's all or nothing. Looking over my history of games played online it seems like I either blow people out or get blown out. There is no in between. And last night I got my ass handed to me.

It doesn't help that I haven't bought a football game since NFL2K on the DC, but I'm trying very hard to be competitive and show you guys a good game. I played 3 frickin' practice games against the Texans in preperation for my match with Matrix. On All-Madden even! And every single game I blew them out by 30+ points, but I go online and everything falls apart.

What's really frustrating is that I thought I was doing everything right. My focus on offense was on staying out of third and long (which has been my undoing), and for the most part I had very attainable third downs, I just couldn't convert. On defense, I had Matrix in several 3rd and 7+ situations, and he seemed to convert just by heaving it deep. Don't get me wrong Matrix, you did a good job of finding missmatches and single coverage, I just don't know how those coverage failures occurred. I played a lot of deep zone out of the Dime and got good pressure on the QB using only my front 4, but every play I see my safeties trailing a fly pattern by 3 yards. Where you milking money plays or was my D just that bad?

Ramirez

Matrix does pass better in this game than anyone Ive yet to play :p And it pisses me off cuz he runs like 5 times a game so my D should know what to be expecting,damn them!

Fifty

dskillzhtown said:
Can we all agree to not use money plays in these games?

Maybe you should specify what you think is a money play. I've been playing for ages and I can't say for sure that I know of a play that works every time down the field.

Fifty

Ramirez said:
Matrix does pass better in this game than anyone Ive yet to play :p And it pisses me off cuz he runs like 5 times a game so my D should know what to be expecting,damn them!

It would be cool if in the next game, they had a way for you to tell your D guy to play the pass 100% By that I mean that their awareness stat would go up a bit on pass coverage, and their run stuffing stats wouldn't be as high. Oh well, it probably would never happen, it would just be cool to have some sort of minor stat bonus if you KNOW they're going to pass. After all, in the NFL players will play better if they KNOW what the other team is going to do.

Matrix

Ummmmm I dont have any money plays,if I did I wouldnt be 1-4.I basically read your coverage,used hot routes when I needed too and sent a man in motion a few times and
you didnt adjust and left the guy wide open,thats how I was able to pass the 88 yard td to Davis.

A couple of times in the redzone you blizted in a cover 2 D I think,and I was able to get one td throwing out of shotgun,I was just able to get it off in time.Most the time I look for mismatchs and see if you have every wideout covered,of course if you dont I will be throwing to that man :p

Ive praticed a lot throwing in this game cause I'm not that great at running,I also think the only reason I ran well against you is cause my passing game was on that game and I mixed it up for a change.

I also check out the other teams CB's DB's ratings and make sure to throw it to my wideout who has the shittiest guy on them :p I milk one reciever for awhile and then spread the pigskin around.

dskillzhtown

Ummm...ok. If you say so. There are money plays in Madden. Particularly inside WRs doing slants for 50+ yards a pop. But since I am the only one that knows that, I guess it is my imagination, though I have had several discussions with people in this league about those plays.

I am not calling out anyone, it was just a request.

Matrix

Doesnt a money play work everytime? Cause I have yet to see the same play work every time in this game,atleast my eyes havent seen it.I'm not saying you're wrong Dskillz,but what is the definition of money play?

I dont want to come off as an ass,but I was 0-3 in league play before I played Slo and was getting my ass kicked left and right...the truth is Slo isnt very good on D and I hate to say it ...pretty predictable,atleast in our game on Offense.I'm not saying Slo is horrible,its just he really never adjusted well to my Offense for some reason,unlike everyone one else who has.Fifty held me to 9 points,3 fg's and I was running the same plays I ran againt slo on him.

Mav,crused me with his passing game and you would think the Colts would do that too,I'm just saying just cause someone takes a beating it doesnt mean money plays were used.

Matrix

A money play you can int...brilliant!

dskillzhtown

I have made my request. It is obvious that there are money plays in Madden and one is being used in league play over and over. I am not going to just keep the conversations about it to AIM messages and #ga chatter. The league was based on fair play and no cheese. Using a money play is just like using the fatigue exploit, IMO. Again, did I mention any names? Did I accuse anyone? No I didn't. I just made a request.

And as for what is a money play? A money play is a play that gives a player a unrealistic advantage by exploiting a hole in the programming. Using a inside WR-slant gives an unrealistic advantage. This has been known since the first day of release. It was even on EASports message boards as an exploit of the new DB AI. If you look at the play, about 40% of the time, the WR will also receive a speed boost to pull even further away from the CB and catch up to the ball. THAT is a money play. Do I need to break the effectiveness of this play down even more? Because I can.

It is simply not picking a good play, the play is un-defendable about works, not 100% of the time because no play works 100%, but I will say there is a good 85%-90% success rate.

Fifty

Oh, I haven't noticed that. Anyway, I was never involved in these AIM messages or #ga chatter regarding this topic, so I wasn't sure which play you were talking about. I beat you by running a 4 Wide play, and I think you called that a money play. It wasn't a slant mind you, just a deep post. Your request is to ban money plays, and if we have players using money plays (that we have defined and observed as nearly unstoppable against almost every d) we can move towards doing that...But all you can do now is just say what went on in your game, and what was wrong with it.

Maverick

Skills, you don't want people using slants w/ slots?

LOL. I'd lose every fucking game if I was limited to using my outside recievers. QUARTERS KILLS THAT. Unless you have Owens or Moss or Harrison. That's about it.

Outs work just as well, bro. Honestly, I think you're dead wrong here. Slants are not a direct exploit. I've picked INUMERABLE balls by manually playing as a linebacker when fools try to run deep slants on me.

Like Fitty said, Lewis behind Ogden will get you many more yards w/o turnover.

I'll keep running a legal play with my slots recievers, thanks.

dskillzhtown

OK, I am just a moron and everyone I have talked to are morons. We are just imagining things.

I'll just drop it.

Fifty

dskillzhtown said:
OK, I am just a moron and everyone I have talked to are morons.

I'll just drop it.

We're all friends here. Let's get this out in the open. Who have you talked to about this and what do they dislike? The slant play? We're not saying you're a moron, I just want to intelligently discuss this, since I wasn't included in one of your discussions.

Top Bottom