• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 12 Man League can finally start

Slo

Guys, this really isn't worth fighting over. It's just a online football league. It's already been established that I'm pretty damn bad at the game, so let's not argue on my account.

As far as this "money play" thing goes, I have two thoughts:

1) I don't know if anyone in our league has been using "money plays" or not. I do know that in around 50 online Madden games I've played I've never had streakers running wide open against dime coverage and scoring at will, like I saw against Matrix.

2) Matrix is right concerning this topic. As lame as it is to play against people that are exploiting flaws in the game's defense, or running the same play over and over again, or otherwise just being obnoxious and cheesetastic, I should be able to adjust and stop it. Other people have been able to shut down this one supposed "non money play," and when they did his offense went in the shitter. In the real NFL, teams would happily run the same play every time if it resulted in a touchdown 50% of the time. (See Randy Moss)

I hope that by the end of the season I'll be a more solid player, and I look forward to a rematch. :)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I'm out of the discussion about that. I just made a simple request, that is it. I am not going to drag anyone else into the discussion, if they don't want to speak up for themselves at this point, then that is their decision.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Funny thing is slo,I think I only used that wideout slant against you once the whole game and I'm not 100% sure I even caught it,I cant recall and at that point I had no idea that was a money play,according to dskillz.

Lets all face it,sometimes we have good games and sometimes you get blown out,like Mav said anyone can win any day just like the real NFL.

Slo beat Mav and Mav whooped me,I beat slo..see what I'm saying.

Fifty

dskillzhtown said:
I'm out of the discussion about that. I just made a simple request, that is it. I am not going to drag anyone else into the discussion, if they don't want to speak up for themselves at this point, then that is their decision.

THE MADDEN SKULL AND BONES!!!! Speak up or be cast out!!

Whoever you spoke to isn't talking..

This whole thing is funny, I can't say I understand what's going on, but there certainly is some subtext to the comments I've read....I guess it's further proof that bye weeks are bad.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
dskillzhtown said:

Really what is with this secret madden chat shit,how come it hasnt been brought up in here till today...I dont get it.Also you seem to atleast have the balls to talk about it..who are these people you are protecting ? :p

This shit is like the Roswell cover up.

skillz compained about the money play after i played him in the tourney once. i disagreed with him then, and i disagree now.

let me ask you something. in the nfl, name a route that WILL NOT be successful if the QB has 5+ seconds to throw. keep thinking, cause guess what there isn't one. if the qb has time to throw, he is going to find someone open.

now you say slants are money plays. i disagree. you can run slants all day against me and you will have minimal success i guarantee it. a slant play is "money" in the nfl with enough time.

what would you like? you want to be able to say "i have a defensive play that will shut down slants, outs, ins, flys and flats all in one play!" guess what? that play doesn't exist. are you telling me there is NO PLAY in the playbook that will defend slants if you know they're coming? cause i'm going to strongly disagree, and i'll prove it on the field.

bottom line is this: time = success as an offense. you want to sit back in coverage, blitz 4, what do you think is going to happen? but, by the same token, blitzing is going to leave someone open somewhere. what a predicament huh? it's almost like what a real coach has to deal with! if you feel slants are money plays, why dont you cover them yourself? i usually pick a safety or LB and patrol the middle myself, not because i'm afraid of money plays, but i trust myself more than the CPU AI to make the play.

no offense dude, but with all the options as far as double teaming, defensive hot routing, and playbook changing, there is no reason to complain about slants being "money" plays anymore than there is complaining about the DB AI being too good, RB flat passes as money plays, QB rushing as money plays, or deep bombs as money plays. it's a dead issue as far as i'm concerned. and not to be a dick, but if i think i can complete a successful slant play i'm going to run it. pretty soon people will be calling button hooks, flys and outs money plays because they get burned by them

dskillzhtown

All I did was voice a concern. A concern that was extrememly vague and people took offense immediately. But if you guys agree that it is not cheese, then fine. It has nothing to do with a bye week. Why in the hell would it? It has nothing to do with my record. If that is what people are thinking. Have I gotten blown out? No I haven't.

But I do not like be characterized as some whiny bitch. I don't like being characterized as someone who does not know how to play the game. I know about double teams, bump-n-run and switching up defenses. Ask anyone who I have played in this league if I know how to play. That is the part about this that I am most upset about now. If I didn't know how to play I would be getting blown out 77-0 every game, not fucking taking a 5-0 player to the final seconds of the game.

I had a concern, voiced it when no one else would. I thought that is what the thread would be for. Like I said, I am not dragging anyone into this. If they don't want to say anything, that is their choice. After all the reaction to my post, I wouldn't blame them if they didn't want to post anything now. I've tried to drop it about 3 times in this thread already.

Miguel

Heh, funny I stumbled upon this thread right now...I was just playing madden online....as well as thinking back to playing my friend earlier in the week.

4wide.jpg

Hotroute RB (5) to block.
If the opponent takes control of the safety/corner/LB against the #1 receiver..., the #2 receiver will be wide open. Just about every time. With the RB back to block, it's almost impossible to get any pressure on the QB. If the opponent doesn't take control of anyone in the backfield...you have the option to basically throw at #1 or #2. #3 and 4 are just there to take up space...and lure the extra CBs/Safeties away from the intended receivers.I can almost guarantee that you can complete this play more often than not. I tried it against CK once just cause my friend had abused me with it all day the weekend before...and it worked. I hit Bradford twice for touchdowns. After that game, I didn't use them, and we played a pretty good game, which he ended up winning in on a really close 4th quarter.

Also...there's the whole Punting/FG block bullshit I won't get into, and I hope no one here does it. It's ridiculous how they do it.

hgplayer1

played a random game last night and the guy had the Phins shown to be his team but he switched right to the Falcons when we started so I braced myself for cheese-o-rama. they ought to just get rid of that shit where it shows your teams logo in the lobbies and stuff.

I hadnt seen the whole Vick thing yet so I was kinda interested to see how hard it was to stop. Im not so interested anymore. snap. sprint out left. playmaker outside WR to cut left. pass. complete. not long after the game started my brother comes in and is all like, oh! let me show you how to stop that shit! so he shows me some defense with like an all out blitz out of quarters and it gets close but he still gets the pass off for a completion. even though i knew he was going to roll left EVERY TIME I couldnt even manually blitz to that side and get him. there was even a play I got crazy pressure on him and he was running straight backwards like 10-20 yards behind the LOS and he threw the ball with his back turned to the LOS for a completion. at half time he offers me mercy but im like hell no bitch youre gonna sit here for 15 more minutes of this shit :D so hes blowing me out and we trade TDs in the 3rd quarter and he starts to play like hes running out the clock. taking the whole play clock to call plays, running the ball on 1st and 2nd down for short yardage, then on third down same old shit. roll left pass. wtf? why not just run again and then maybe punt? its not like he didnt know whether he could convert the third down or not. man that must get boring after a while?

anyway people who play football online are bitches and theyll never make a football game thats fun to play AND "feels" like a real game. all my opinion of course.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I've spoken to Dskillz extensively about the inside WR slant-out play and the way it works.

The problem began way back when Madden '05 initially came out. I have a play, it's my number 1 audible as well by default, it's got Tim Carter lined up as the inside WR to the right, Toomer lined up outside of him. The left side doesn't matter. Toomer slants inside while Carter posts out, with any kind of time, it's completable upwards of 90% of the time. The other 10% is drops and when the QB throws it out of bounds.

I can audible so that Shockey is in Carter's position, a much slower receiver. Since his catch rating is even higher, it's an even greater chance of a completion.

Then there was what Mig was able to do with Johnson (it was Johnson, not Bradford, Mig. ;p).

It's a money play. I don't use it 'cause it is cheese. Dskillz and I played a good 5-6 games the first 2-3 days Madden was out, so he saw it a lot, as did Fifty.

Ramirez

I attempted to play a random game the other day,guy picked the Panthers,ran hurry up,nothing but slants,and it was working -_- Then on my posession he kept running some BS CB blitz that would work the majority of the time,then when I punted he overloaded one side and basically got back there before my kicker even had time to lift his leg -_- Needless to say I quit :p

I don't have time to play fag bags like this...I wonder sometimes if these people even watch the NFL.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I showed Dskillz another separate cheese play that is money 100% of the time, unless the player takes control of a defender and manually stops it. I, of course, will not reveal it, lest it be used against me. :lol

Mrbob

Wellington said:
I showed Dskillz another separate cheese play that is money 100% of the time, unless the player takes control of a defender and manually stops it. I, of course, will not reveal it, lest it be used against me. :lol

Don't cheese me. :(

Miguel

Ramirez said:
I attempted to play a random game the other day,guy picked the Panthers,ran hurry up,nothing but slants,and it was working -_- Then on my posession he kept running some BS CB blitz that would work the majority of the time,then when I punted he overloaded one side and basically got back there before my kicker even had time to lift his leg -_- Needless to say I quit :p

I don't have time to play fag bags like this...I wonder sometimes if these people even watch the NFL.

Yeah, Iplayed someone last night that does that shit. I lost by a TD...but I couldn't get anything going. Then the fucker was doing the bullshit Punt/FG block crap. I can't believe how easy it is to do...and I'll fucking stab anyone that does it to me. RAY LEWIS WILL DO MY DIRTY WORK!

gg hg, thought you had me early.

nice mixup at the start, you really torched me with that first 2 play TD drive after the int :(

dont know why you went away from that.

also, it seems like you are overanxious when running the ball. i see holes that you can burst through, but you dont follow your fullback and you try to hit it outside TOO fast. but, with practice you'll get better (if you even care)

hgplayer1

I dont really feel like I went away from anything. like you said it was a 2 play drive. I got lucky that I didnt get sacked on the TD. after that I just couldnt run any pass play without getting all kinds of pressure. when I did throw it quick it was always into coverage. I just never have much time to make reads after the snap. as far as running I still dont think it has anything to do with following my FB or the way the play is supposed to go unless Im just not getting the way youre supposed to handle the back once he gets the ball. I know you had to see those plays where I was getting hit as soon as the ball was handed off. any suggestions how I execute those plays better? thats just my O line releasing D lineman into the backfield giving me no chance. I got very lucky early in the game to take the 14-0 lead but since I couldnt do anything on offense or defense after that it was over once you started scoring.

by the way didnt our first game take place in SF?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lucky win for bob!

Man I don't give a shit about how well my passing offense can do, if I can't run I am not going to play well. When I wasn't trying to force the ball (After the third TD) I was doing a lot better. Kinda pissed about some crucial drops. The football would never bounce off of Amani Toomer's chest. ESPN more realistic than Madden? I think so.

Edit: WTF is up with the INCREDIBLE Bears blocking? Meanwhile I see wide open field and a defender flies off the block to make the tackle? Cmon. :(

Mrbob

Luck? Ho ho! Thanks for adding fuel to the fire and giving me more motivation to beat you down again the third time we play later this year! :D

dskillzhtown

Wellington said:
Lucky win for bob!

Man I don't give a shit about how well my passing offense can do, if I can't run I am not going to play well. When I wasn't trying to force the ball (After the third TD) I was doing a lot better. Kinda pissed about some crucial drops. The football would never bounce off of Amani Toomer's chest. ESPN more realistic than Madden? I think so.

Edit: WTF is up with the INCREDIBLE Bears blocking? Meanwhile I see wide open field and a defender flies off the block to make the tackle? Cmon. :(

Should have broke out the cheese, lol.

Mrbob

dskillzhtown said:
Should have broke out the cheese, lol.

He tried but I caught onto it in the 4th and figured out how to stop it. The best way to stop four wide slant play is to not give the qb any time to let the play flesh out and then put your best linebacker on shockey to double team that play. :p

Mrbob

5-0!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined a 5-0 start for the league! Now it is time to go 6-0 and beat down FMT!!!

bob can't beat me, i know that and more importantly he knows it. case closed i'll move to 4-2 on the season.

but, back to the "money" plays, it is pretty cheesy to run plays where you know the opposition will be illegally screened.

the thing that gets me is it isn't even NECESSARY to bring that kind of play to the field and be successful. instead of getting desperate and going with a play you know will have a high percentage of exploiting and AI bug, why not play sound, solid football and get the D on its heels? i run slant plays sometimes, but i think my opponents can attest that they are most certainly NOT cheesy and not exploiting any bugs (infact i've thrown my fair share of picks in the league running slants)

now i'm not the commish of the league, but it seems to me that 4-wide plays are causing a lot of the "cheese" problems. i said this early in the ESPN nfl season, and i'll say it again: if it comes down to me losing and playing legit, or me winning and exploiting obvious lapses/bugs in the AI, i would rather lose dudes. there is always going to be another game to play, and i'd rather have the respect of my opponent.

just my 2 cents ladies!

Matrix

I find it pretty easy to stop 4 wide plays when I send a corner in rushing,make the Qb rush the throw or I get the sack,I really havent been burnt by that myself.I'm usually killed on the running game or f-ing screens to HB'S and FB'S.

Btw I hope FMT smacks Bob around...he's talking tooo much crap :D

Ramirez

Yea how in the unholy fuck does he already have close to a 1000 yards rushing,what kind of wet paper bag D are you guys playing against him,lmao.

Slo

The bye week couldn't have come at a better time for me. Maybe interim coach Tony Dungy can work out a trade for Rice before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Mrbob

Ramirez said:
Please,he's decent,but I know the Bears O Line isn't that good.

Actually the Bears offensive line borders on exceptional. The problem is you don't see it when you have a statue for a QB throwing passes he can't complete even when the receivers are open. Which means defensive players can cram that box.

hgplayer1

Mrbob said:
Actually the Bears offensive line borders on exceptional. The problem is you don't see it when you have a statue for a QB throwing passes he can't complete even when the receivers are open. Which means defensive players can cram that box.

Bob when do you want to play our ESPN football game?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
He tried but I caught onto it in the 4th and figured out how to stop it. The best way to stop four wide slant play is to not give the qb any time to let the play flesh out and then put your best linebacker on shockey to double team that play. :p

Woah there homey, that Shockey play was new cheese discovered during the game. I don't remember ever running the 4 slot slant that we referred to earlier, I did however run a lot of three wide slants and 4 wide flys.

Drey1082

DMczaf said:
Sure anytime, we just need to make sure its done because 10:42 pst is the deadline :lol

I'll be ready to go at 7. Heck, forget the deadline, let's just get it done quickly so we can watch game 6.

Mrbob

Wellington said:
Woah there homey, that Shockey play was new cheese discovered during the game. I don't remember ever running the 4 slot slant that we referred to earlier, I did however run a lot of three wide slants and 4 wide flys.

Sorry, 3 WR 1 TE formation still four reciever out there. :p

TOMORROW I exercise another Madden demon, the one that has eluded me the longest. TOMRROW I go forth into battle to do the unthinkable and the one thing I haven't done in Madden 2005. TOMORROW I beat FMT!

Ramirez

Mav,Im lookin forward to giving you a proper loss this time,tis a shame I scared you so much the first time you had to pull the controller out! :D

DMczaf

Ugh, 2nd game Brad Johnson is injured for the rest of the game, 2nd game I lose. I'm starting to see a pattern :(

1 pt loss...

1-hanging.jpg

Top Bottom