• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 2005 is more realistic than ESPN 2005

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'd rather have unrealistic stats than forced drops... or even better, make it harder to hit the reciever with maximum passing, it's so annoying to see the ball hit the hands.

levious said:
I'd rather have unrealistic stats than forced drops... or even better, make it harder to hit the reciever with maximum passing, it's so annoying to see the ball hit the hands.

Forced drops happen in real life. At least in ESPN 2K4 players didn't drop wide open passes everytime like in NCAA this year. And I would say the completion ratios for QBs were pretty realistic in most of the games I played, which was a lot.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cerebral Palsy said:
I thought the passing game was perfect. You'll probably be disappointed again if that was your problem. If forced drops didn't happen the completion rates would have been insane last year.

Yeah, come to think of it.. I was only pissed when it happened to me, and I was mad whenever I hit someone and it didnt come out.

Really, I want a game that makes it easy for me to do whatever I want and hard for everone else. :p

levious

who forces them in real life? ;)

I don't mind the concept, but it should feel random and not forced. It shouldn't be often enough to make a wide open drop annoying rather than a truly random occurance.

Please don't mistake my questions for a Madden is better than ESPN line of argument. I really wish I could combine the two games into one. Niether really satisfies me.

Player animation looks much improved in ESPN though.

See, it just goes to show that both series always need some kind of tweaking somewhere. And it also explains why we are willing to shell out bucks every year for a new game. The games really aren't the same year after year, there's more to it than just a "roster update." There's people like my other friend who can't understand why I buy a new football game every year and yet he owns every home version of Donkey Kong (including the coleco table top electronic version) known to man and just shelled out $650 for an arcade unit.....and that's after he builds himself an aracade cabinet to play the MAME version on. Yeah, I'm the one with a passion that's nuts. I at least trade my old football versions in to get a reduction on the newest one. Might not be much, but at least it's something.

DCX

DCX
Malleymal said:
Sad thing is,

if tecmo released the NES version Tecmo bowl with with updated rosters adn Online play it would sell more than ESPN..... honestly.... and if it was 20 dollars, it would battle Madden...
You know why? One of the main reasons Madden does great, word of mouth and memories. I love Tecmo Bowl and i would buy one just becuase.

DCX

levious said:
who forces them in real life? ;)

By forced I mean, being hit and having the balled jarred lose.

I don't mind the concept, but it should feel random and not forced. It shouldn't be often enough to make a wide open drop annoying rather than a truly random occurance.

What is random about being hit right after you get a touch on the ball? That should be the norm, unless the DB/LBs are chasing butterflies in the backfield this year.

Please don't mistake my questions for a Madden is better than ESPN line of argument. I really wish I could combine the two games into one. Niether really satisfies me.

Yeesh, I don't. Why would you want to combine the good [ESPN] with the bad [Madden].

Player animation looks much improved in ESPN though.

Yeah. The running animation looks a hundred times better this year. Still not perfect, but better than robotic animation from last year.

levious

oh, my bad, I know I started with talking about defensive players jarring the ball loose, but when I said forced just then, I thought you were referring to random drops "forced" by the game to keep stats realistic. Are random drops not a problem anymore?

levious said:
oh, my bad, I know I started with talking about defensive players jarring the ball loose, but when I said forced just then, I thought you were referring to random drops "forced" by the game to keep stats realistic. Are random drops not a problem anymore?

Random drops were fixed in 2K4.

levious

well that's good then...

I guess everyone here will be playing online with the xbox version?

levious said:
well that's good then...

I guess everyone here will be playing online with the xbox version?

Think we had a thread a while back about that. Looks like most people are going Xbox this year, and we're doing the GA leagues on Xbox. I'm buying one tomorrow just for 2K5.

levious

damn, I might have to as well, although the league seems pretty full.

FightyF

Banned
ESPN does look better, technically. The colors for the crowd in the EA pic look photorealistic. The model for the player doesn't look to hot though. I realise that it's almost sunset in the ESPN one, while it's mid-day in the EA one, but it has to be said...that crowd looks great.

Matlock

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
I've heard that Tecmo has no interest in ever making another TSB because they don't want to pay the $$$ for the NFL license. I don't own an SP but I'd buy it in a second if TSB ever saw the light of day on it.

While it's a fringe operation, quite a few fans contribute to a project of updating the classic TSB games with new rosters. Not completely legal, not completely legit, but nobody's come after 'em yet.

Just look around the Tecmo Super Bowl sites, you'll find it pretty easily.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Everybody just relax! Sega has made the choice real easy this year. For $70 you can get Madden 2005 and ESPN NFL 2K5 and bitch about every flaw in both games! Beside for $70 you get a beatdown on both games from me.

Xbox Gamertag: Gunstar77

DMczaf

Gunstar77 said:
Everybody just relax! Sega has made the choice real easy this year. For $70 you can get Madden 2005 and ESPN NFL 2K5 and bitch about every flaw in both games! Beside for $70 you get a beatdown on both games from me.

Xbox Gamertag: Gunstar77

Buy BOTH games?!!?! Thats insane! According to GAF law you are only allowed to play one!

DMczaf said:
Buy BOTH games?!!?! Thats insane! According to GAF law you are only allowed to play one!

Not against the GAF law, but why spend $70 and end up with 50% trash when you can spend only $20 for the premium football experience this year?

DMczaf

Cerebral Palsy said:
Not against the GAF law, but why spend $70 and up with 50% trash when you can spend only $20 for the premium football experience this year?

Because ESPN Football's franchise mode is the Konex of franchise modes?

DMczaf said:
Because ESPN Football's franchise mode is the Konex of franchise modes?

Franchise mode is for people like Kotex
period.jpg
No reason to hide offline and avoid real competition.

SyNapSe

Mrbob said:
You can do the right stick running back moves in ESPN2K4. Is there anything added to 2k5?

Ok, I watched the videos that Bobster linked on that and it looked totally lame. He was all swinging the stick around like crazy... all it seemed to do was Juke. I thought each way would be mapped to a different move. i.e. Hurdle, Stiff Arm, Juke, etc.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It's a version of TSB for Sprint phones for $5. It doesn't have real players.

Top Bottom