• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 2005 is more realistic than ESPN 2005

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cerebral Palsy said:
*cough* NCAA *cough*

Who doesn't have bitterness towards Konex?

No, I'm also basing my arguement on the fact that if the tackling in the running game wasn't a problem last year... There would be no contest. From all reports this seems to be fixed this year. 2K5 could be the greatest football title ever due to that one fix. The graphics, vastly improved online implementation etc are icing on the cake. 2K5 > Madden.

Yeah, go EA money hats!

Hey I'm just as pissed about Ncaa as I was about espn's online play last year.I'm just saying till I play both for myself this year,I'm not picking sides in this GA football war.Reviews last year didnt mention shit about ps2 servers and bizzare tackling issues,just like no one said shit about the ncaa servers for xbox this year or dropped passes.

As of right now,I'm not truly happy with any football game Ive played lately...hopefully that will change with espn 2k5 in a couple of days.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lil' Dice said:
I only have $22 to spend on an NFL footbal game, which one should i get?

Buy lots of copies of this..

119235.jpg

Fifty

If Lukas or anyone else hung out in the sports game threads (NCAA, ESPN tourny....Madden/ESPN screenshot threads) they'd know that FMT is open to liking either game, and that none of us are fanboys. At least none of the real sports gamers. It's just a matter of searching for the best game this year, and every year.

Matlock

Banned
Fifty said:
If Lukas or anyone else hung out in the sports game threads (NCAA, ESPN tourny....Madden/ESPN screenshot threads) they'd know that FMT is open to liking either game, and that none of us are fanboys. At least none of the real sports gamers. It's just a matter of searching for the best game this year, and every year.

True that. FMT is a cool dog.

JayFro

Banned
StoOgE said:
they are too busy trying to figure out how to catch the ball in NCAA right now.

Edit: whats really great is that this is one of the better Madden shots I have seen this year.

That was some seriously funny shit! EA is the gameplay king! :)

Everyone talks about graphics in every football games that gets dropped every year, but how many of you actually play the game at the camera angle displayed in all the screenshots? I'd say less than 5% of you. Therefore, the graphics really don't play an issue when you're actually playing the game. If you're concentrating on how people look rather than a bullshit running game (which was still present at the E3 demo I played), then your priorities are all wrong.

Matrix

WasabiKing said:
Everyone talks about graphics in every football games that gets dropped every year, but how many of you actually play the game at the camera angle displayed in all the screenshots? I'd say less than 5% of you. Therefore, the graphics really don't play an issue when you're actually playing the game. If you're concentrating on how people look rather than a bullshit running game (which was still present at the E3 demo I played), then your priorities are all wrong.

I heart you.

DCX

DCX
Bog said:
It's too bad this forum doesn't represent the gaming public. ESPN would be just behind ICO and Rez for best selling game of this generation.
Yeah...goes to show you how the world is run by 2 leaders for every 1 million drones. GTA, Enter the Matrix tells you so. Not that GTA isn't good, but just about everyone has bought this game because of someone else's opinion. Which is why PS2 is number 1, more drones, XBOX has the second most and goes to show you Gamecube has the most hardcore gamers, which means less sales and less games. Interesting paradox.

DCX

DCX

DCX
WasabiKing said:
You're right. The visuals come into play in cut scenes, replays etc. It's not important, but it ADDS to a game. Gameplay is king, will always be. That being said i prefer ESPN flow VS Madden. It's like Nike VS Reebok, nothing against Reebok i just like the Nike air system, it makes my feet feel good :) Don't get me wrong though i have owned alot of Reeboks :)

DCX

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Spectral Glider said:
It's the Bengals.....who the hell's gonna notice anyway?

But......why do both games have them in black pants, yet Bengal Boy there has white pants on? And the Madden shot has the black on the bottom of the sleeves while from this shot, it appears that the ESPN one does not. As for actual player graphics, I think they both look pretty good.

OK azzhole, first of all the Bengals are going to the playoffs this year!

2nd, NFL teams all have varying combinations of pants and jerseys. The number is just wrong, don't try to defend it!

I definitely believe in gameplay over graphics. But I also believe that out of all genres graphics mean the most in sports games. It's all about recreating every sunday on your console at any time.

Also, Madden uniforms are a blur ridden mess.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I was one who intially thought FMT was an EA clone, but as I read his posts more and more I realize he is in fact probably the most biasless gamer on the board, at least wheh it comes to football games. ESPN fanboys (myself included) need to realize that he says a lot of things to provoke people. Suck it down ESPN/Sega fanboyzzz!!!

shantyman said:
OK azzhole, first of all the Bengals are going to the playoffs this year!

2nd, NFL teams all have varying combinations of pants and jerseys. The number is just wrong, don't try to defend it!

1. As a diehard Steeler fan, I'll take any chance, no matter how cheap, to slap down the Bengals! And yeah, maybe they will get to the playoffs because the AFC north will be wide open to anyone, but that's neither here nor there for this thread.

2. The pants were an observation, "dumbazz," that perhaps both games got it wrong. Not a defense of anything. But alas, it turns out that the traveling NFL circus known as the Bengals will have all sorts of fruity uniform combos just in case we get bored with their attempt of football on the field!

DCX

DCX
Lisa Lashes said:
Screw Madden and ESPN. Bring me another old school version of Tecmo Super Bowl.
They tried that and it failed. I prefer the old school SNES version or even the mecca NES version with new rosters. That should rock hard on SP.

DCX

Greekboy

Banned
DCX said:
They tried that and it failed. I prefer the old school SNES version or even the mecca NES version with new rosters. That should rock hard on SP.

DCX

Definitely. I remember that utter crap on the PS1.

DCX

DCX
Cerebral Palsy said:
Randall Cunningham was such cheese in NES Tecmo Bowl. My friend abuses him to this day.
The whole was a cheese!! LOL The keys to victory...run in a zig zag pattern :) By the way, i LOVE da Cheese :) It was all about fun.

DCX

DCX

DCX
Cerebral Palsy said:
Didn't Tecmo announce a PS2 Tecmo Bowl, and then cancel it?
If they did...

Tecmo +1

I would release an old school Tecmo Bowl for SP with updated rosters. I think that would be great.

DCX

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
DCX said:
Yeah...goes to show you how the world is run by 2 leaders for every 1 million drones. GTA, Enter the Matrix tells you so. Not that GTA isn't good, but just about everyone has bought this game because of someone else's opinion. Which is why PS2 is number 1, more drones, XBOX has the second most and goes to show you Gamecube has the most hardcore gamers, which means less sales and less games. Interesting paradox.

DCX
In a forum chock full of dumb posts, you've risen head and shoulders above the lot with that incredible insight. Thank you.

DCX

DCX
bishoptl said:
In a forum chock full of dumb posts, you've risen head and shoulders above the lot with that incredible insight. Thank you.
Thank you sir, i try :)

DCX

Greekboy

Banned
I've heard that Tecmo has no interest in ever making another TSB because they don't want to pay the $$$ for the NFL license. I don't own an SP but I'd buy it in a second if TSB ever saw the light of day on it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Spectral Glider said:
1. As a diehard Steeler fan, I'll take any chance, no matter how cheap, to slap down the Bengals! And yeah, maybe they will get to the playoffs because the AFC north will be wide open to anyone, but that's neither here nor there for this thread.

2. The pants were an observation, "dumbazz," that perhaps both games got it wrong. Not a defense of anything. But alas, it turns out that the traveling NFL circus known as the Bengals will have all sorts of fruity uniform combos just in case we get bored with their attempt of football on the field!

In all seriousness, congrats on getting Big Ben. I work at MU and also an am alumnus- he should be awesome there.

shantyman said:
In all seriousness, congrats on getting Big Ben. I work at MU and also an am alumnus- he should be awesome there.

Cool. Actually, I don't really hate the Bengals.....well, at least not as much as the Ravens and Browns. :p Really, with the years they've had it is cool to see them finally headed on the right track. But yeah, the Steelers need and have needed a serious QB for a long time. Sure hope Ben is the answer. And the North really should be wide open this year.

As for a new Tecmo Bowl....I'd be interested in seeing one. Although I don't imagine the sales/interest would be there if it was just focused on the arcade fun like Super Bowl was. Which is kinda sad......I'd take a Tecmo bowl over a Blitz any day.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Sad thing is,

if tecmo released the NES version Tecmo bowl with with updated rosters adn Online play it would sell more than ESPN..... honestly.... and if it was 20 dollars, it would battle Madden...

A next Gen Mutant league Football would kill all other football games.

Actually i like to watch football and am only a casual fan of the game. I just want ESPN for the purty graphics and the cheap price. Im one of those ppl who always go for it on 4th downs :p

Greekboy

Banned
Malleymal said:
Sad thing is,

if tecmo released the NES version Tecmo bowl with with updated rosters adn Online play it would sell more than ESPN..... honestly.... and if it was 20 dollars, it would battle Madden...

I'd buy it!

Kabuki Waq said:
Im one of those ppl who always go for it on 4th downs :p

Another one!? I just told my friend during a game the other day that he should write two coaching books, 2-Point Love Affair and My Life Without the Punt. :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think your friend is qualified to be the head coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Im not kidding, that idiot went for it on 4th and 7 at the Tech 35 last year in Austin... drunk people should not coach.

StoOgE said:
I think your friend is qualified to be the head coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Im not kidding, that idiot went for it on 4th and 7 at the Tech 35 last year in Austin... drunk people should not coach.

:lol

What kills me is how pissed my buddy gets that he's getting pounded 35-7 at halftime and can't, for the life of him, understand why. Just like he can't figure out why het gets sacked for a mega loss......you know, after he drops back about 20 yards on every pass play. See, it has to be because the game just sucks and has absolutely nothing to do with how he plays it at all. ;)

StoOgE

Jesus, remember in 2k3 when you could drop back 30 yards, the coverage would break down and you could get a 20 yard gain? That was some bullshit there.

Your D-line couldnt get any penetration at all..

then in 2k4 you have the monster running game and WR's that cant catch a cold.

If they actually honestly balance it out this year so you have a solid (but stopable) ground attack and a solid (but again, managable) air game.. I will cream myself.

However, every single reviewer is allways looking for last years problems early in a sports games life... so the new problems go largely unnoticed for weeks.

StoOgE said:
then in 2k4 you have the monster running game and WR's that cant catch a cold.

There was nothing wrong with last year's passing game. The "too many drops" problem, which I didn't think was a problem at all, existed in 2K3.

Matrix

I had no problems catching the ball in 2k4,I actually caught too well.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what about over the middle passes? I remember 2k3 or 2k4 your reciever would take more than two steps and have the ball knocked loose and it would be ruled an incomplete pass, rather than a fumble.

Matrix

DMczaf said:
You and Mig...and you got in the damn playoffs with a 7-9 record!! WTF VC!

Muhahahahaha :D

levious said:
what about over the middle passes? I remember 2k3 or 2k4 your reciever would take more than two steps and have the ball knocked loose and it would be ruled an incomplete pass, rather than a fumble.

Well, you have to have control of the ball also. You could take a billion steps and it could still be an incomplete pass.

StoOgE

It wasnt dropped passes that bugged me, it was too easy for a defender to knock it loose. Sure it happens when you lay a good hit on someone, but not as often as it did.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Cerebral Palsy said:
Well, you have to have control of the ball also. You could take a billion steps and it could still be an incomplete pass.

I've never noticed a bobbling the ball animation in that situation... and believe me, when it happened, I always looked at the replay... and I could be thinking of 2k3, not 4.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Spectral Glider said:
Another one!? I just told my friend during a game the other day that he should write two coaching books, 2-Point Love Affair and My Life Without the Punt. :D
uhoh.gif

StoOgE said:
It wasnt dropped passes that bugged me, it was too easy for a defender to knock it loose. Sure it happens when you lay a good hit on someone, but not as often as it did.

I thought the passing game was perfect. You'll probably be disappointed again if that was your problem. If forced drops didn't happen the completion rates would have been insane last year.

levious said:
I've never noticed a bobbling the ball animation in that situation... and believe me, when it happened, I always looked at the replay... and I could be thinking of 2k3, not 4.

You could tell when they gained control of the ball. The ball would jerk right when they gained control... Don't really know how to explain it. Once they had it the ball would shoot straight to their hands like a magnet. Looked pretty bad in slow motion replays actually.

Top Bottom