• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

Super tempted to buy this, but since there's no demo I'm hesitant to pay full price for it. (Never played any Madden before)

I would be really grateful if there's an European GAFer with whom I could test it via PS4's shareplay though.

forms

I have now played shitloads of Draft Championship vs CPU. First match I always steamroll the opponent. Second match ALL My players start dropping balls, stop running when going for the ball (I have tested with my CPU WRs for auto route running, sometimes they just stop in their tracks, even when open and free), opponents get ten times better at smacking away the ball etc. It is very interesting. :D

Pyrogeek

No matter what I try to do, I always throw a pick when playing Head to Head against a live opponent during every possession even if the receiver seems to be open.

Playing on 'Pro' for my Connected Franchise has trained some seriously bad habits, I think.

Any tips for reducing the amount of interceptions I throw online? Things just happen so fast and before I know it, a defender is breathing down my QB's neck. This is in Draft Champions as well as MUT.

BizzyBum

I am just so bad in this game.

Playing the skills trainer and some of these scenarios are impossible to get Gold.

I am just so bad in this game.

Playing the skills trainer and some of these scenarios are impossible to get Gold.

Most of those drills have some random and/or strategic factors to them. Even the most skilled players on the sticks will fail to get gold a good amount of times. If anything the reps doing that stuff can be helpful.

What's smarter. Going and buying madden 16 for 60, or buying madden 15 for 30.

M16 is a better game. M15 was still good though. But I'd never buy last year's sports games this year. The bugs will be patched, just like Madden 15s bugs were patched. EA team was good about getting updates out.

There are unpatchable problems with Madden 15, like how unstoppable offenses are, that are much less of a problem on Madden 16.

Lrrr

Does anyone else feel like M16 has massive input lag when running the ball and trying to do evasive moves like spin, juke, etc.? I don't feel this lag when passing or defending...just running.

Does anyone else feel like M16 has massive input lag when running the ball and trying to do evasive moves like spin, juke, etc.? I don't feel this lag when passing or defending...just running.
No, I can't say that I've experienced that. I will say that when running and you want to perform evasive moves you have to perform them at least a step or two before the defender reaches you.

Someone told me that after the access trial records would be reset so I allowed my nephew to play like 5 games and low and behold they didnt reset so start with a bad record. Thats ok though beat a few high ranked people so in top 10% with losing record but wont be a losing record long.

Just wanted to comment on 2 things. They should allow the home team to pick uniform in online games and then viditing team gets assigned white if home chooses black or alternate unis and dark if home chooses white if the reason why they stopped allowing it is because 2 teams could be wearing white or dark at same time. Just do it the same way the nfl does and let home team choose.

Qb off target passes are way more frequent. I cant tell you how many times Ive had aj green open only for dalton to throw it out of bounds lead him to far etc. Accuracy ratings actually mean a great deal now.

I have now played shitloads of Draft Championship vs CPU. First match I always steamroll the opponent. Second match ALL My players start dropping balls, stop running when going for the ball (I have tested with my CPU WRs for auto route running, sometimes they just stop in their tracks, even when open and free), opponents get ten times better at smacking away the ball etc. It is very interesting. :D

THe difficulty increases with each level. I believe the first level is rookie or pro, the second is pro, the third is all pro. Also the teams usually get better for the last game, and you're sure to face a team with a handful of proven players.

Stat!

THe difficulty increases with each level. I believe the first level is rookie or pro, the second is pro, the third is all pro. Also the teams usually get better for the last game, and you're sure to face a team with a handful of proven players.

Is the difficulty not based on your offline difficulty then? For some reason, I thought it was

Bsigg12

Is it All-Pro or All-Madden for the last game? I can't remember which setting sets the kicking arch down to only the green line by default.

Is it All-Pro or All-Madden for the last game? I can't remember which setting sets the kicking arch down to only the green line by default.

That's usually All Pro. All Madden is just the arrow that points directly off the ground, but shows no trajectory.

It might be a fusion of these difficulties though.

Do they only call false starts and encroachment? It kills the realism seeing one or no penalties called. I definitely want at least more variety with the penalties.

Petrae

What's smarter. Going and buying madden 16 for 60, or buying madden 15 for 30.

I'm going back to Madden 15 until Tiburon fixes Madden 16. It's painful to not play a game that I paid $60 for, but the Encroachment Bug literally ruined the entire game for me.

When your defense gives up 50 yards of field position on 10 consecutive plays with Encroachment penalties-- all of which were triggered by CPU-controlled defensive players-- your game is fucking broken.

So, it's back to Madden 15 to get my football fix until/if Tiburon figures out how to fix this shit. The sad part is that I'm not 100% secure in believing that it does get fixed. At least Madden 15 is still very playable and I can get through a season/Franchise mode without bugs wrecking the experience.

BizzyBum

I didn't even realize you could permanently zoom out the camera on offense. So much better now. Default is zoomed in way too much.

forms

I am a Bears fan, and I have only been doing Draft Championship and solo challenges all the time. Unfortunately, there was no way around it, I had to start a franchise.

The first game is against Packers. God damn Packers. I hope the real Bears will fare better than I did, and still I even had Kevin Smith on my team. Also, one of my players had his arm broken. God damn Packers.

Fjordson

Played two games last night. Feels pretty good. Though the new receiver controls seem pointless sometimes. Short and medium passes are often in the receiver's hands within like a second or two so you don't even really get a chance to press a button before he catches.

They're pretty cool for longer passes, though. Being able to go up aggressively and try and make the grab is dope. Had a few amazing catches with Dez Bryant.

Gotta up the difficulty though. Stomped the computer 47-6 on I think Pro.

I didn't even realize you could permanently zoom out the camera on offense. So much better now. Default is zoomed in way too much.
How do you do that??

Do they only call false starts and encroachment? It kills the realism seeing one or no penalties called. I definitely want at least more variety with the penalties.
I've gotten pass interferences, offsides and holding.

Played two games last night. Feels pretty good. Though the new receiver controls seem pointless sometimes. Short and medium passes are often in the receiver's hands within like a second or two so you don't even really get a chance to press a button before he catches.

They're pretty cool for longer passes, though. Being able to go up aggressively and try and make the grab is dope. Had a few amazing catches with Dez Bryant.

Gotta up the difficulty though. Stomped the computer 47-6 on I think Pro.

How do you do that??

I've gotten pass interferences, offsides and holding.

Good. Maybe I was just lucky.

So are there any basic rules of thumb for pricing cards to sell in the auction house?

The gameplay is really balanced in this and I'm seeing an awesome variety of games.

Playing on All Pro with standard sliders, 10 min qtrs, 20 sec accel clock.

Yesterday, beat the Jets 41 - 7 with the Patriots, completely unstoppable offense and Jets had nothing, couldn't move it on me at all, and I had to play a very pass-forward game with the Patriots.

Today, totally different style of game playing as the Eagles against Detroit (in Detroit). Detroit jumped out to a 24 - 7 lead... I absolutely couldn't stop them. Methodical marches down the field for them wiith a mix of run and pass, including a 65-yard bomb to Calvin Johnson from Stafford. I clawed back to make it 24 - 17 going into the half... Tied it up in the second half, took a one touchdown lead, stopped them late in the 4th, and managed to tack on a securing field goal to win 34 - 24. Best of all was the CPU stats:

Stafford: 22 / 36, 260 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
J. Bell: 18 Carries, 70 yards, 1 TD (almost all of those came in the first half)

The 22 / 36 is what I like most. This is the first Madden ever where you have incomplete passes that aren't INTs. It's so refreshing. In Madden 15, the CPU would go 14/16, 140 yards, and the 2 incompletions would be INTs.

This year it just seems so balanced. There are times when I feel that I absolutely cannot do anything against the CPU, and then drives where I feel like I can't be stopped. I love how hard it is to run on 3rd and short or at the goalline... It's an actual challenge to run at the goal, which is so refreshing. Also, the same old runs don't work in Madden this year.. and I actually have to run traps and look for holes. It's great.

Really liking the human vs. CPU gameplay.

BEfore the play, you can also just press down on the dpad, offnse or defense, and the camera pulls back.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I really need some help here. I just went into Draft Champions for the last few hours and remembered how insufferable the online is sometimes. Sometimes people only pass or only run and they find a play that I just have no play call answer to. Am I supposed to call a certain play, or just take control of a character and do what needs to be done? Sometimes I throw a double team at an opponents only receiver and there's still nothing I can do to stop them.

Note: I usually draft all in on O-Line, a WR, and a HB. Defense is mainly secondary and 2 or 3 D-Line playmakers.

The M.O.B

LHm7iWq.gif

I love the defender celebrating instead of helping to block lmao

I really need some help here. I just went into Draft Champions for the last few hours and remembered how insufferable the online is sometimes. Sometimes people only pass or only run and they find a play that I just have no play call answer to. Am I supposed to call a certain play, or just take control of a character and do what needs to be done? Sometimes I throw a double team at an opponents only receiver and there's still nothing I can do to stop them.

Note: I usually draft all in on O-Line, a WR, and a HB. Defense is mainly secondary and 2 or 3 D-Line playmakers.

I'm not expert, although I'm 2 - 0 in Draft Champions (haha) but you really want a balanced team. If anything, draft more D than Offense. Forget the defensive line because not many people are going to run in draft champions mode because of the short clock. I mean, obviously, get some D-line if that's your only choice, but don't focus heavily on it.

Try to get 2 solid CBs, 1 solid safety, and one solid MLB.

For my offensive play style, I really like possession style receivers and receiving tight ends. A solid receiving tight end will open so much up for you that you couldn't get by someone who is junk. And then try to get 3 balanced offensive lineman... A center, LT, and RG should be enough in most circumstances. If you do overload one side of your team, say, you get a solid LT, LG, and C, then focus on running to the left side because chances are the defense will not be fully stacked there.

For defense, yes, you need to call plays to try to match your opponents offense. But if you're unsure of what play to call, follow this:

When the opponent picks their play, it tells you their formation. If they have 2 WR, 1 TE, and 2 RB, go with your base defense... which is typically a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. From there, call a basic play, cover 2 man or cover 2 zone. Don't get me wrong, cover 2 is very beatable by anybody who can identify it. To beat cover 2 you corner routes, but about 50% of people that play can read defenses, and the cover 2 will work as an effective base defense against 50% of people who can't read defense and can't change their gameplan.

If it's 3 WR, then you can still pick your base D, but if it's a passing down, consider picking a nickel or dime defense. That puts more CBs on the field. Again, you can try to use the Cover 2. It's a solid, standard defense... sure, there are gaps, but it's a base defensive call.

You want to mix up in a few areas... Call blitzes when you want to be aggressive, although avoid the safety blitz. It's a dead giveaway and is very easy to exploit. Safety blitz is effective against the run, but it's so easy to diagnose that it's not worth it.

I've noticed most people go for it on 4th down in draft champions. In that case, clal a dime and use a cover 3. Before the play, hit Y (or triangle) and then RB (or R1) which is the "Protect Sticks" defensive mentality. Basically, this will concede a reception over the middle or a DEEP reception, but will actively prevent the offense from getting a first. It won't work every time, but on 4th down, you really just need it to MOSTLY work.

In terms of who you're defending, most "skilled" players control a linebacker, but it does take some work. If you're not good at manual defense then you'll get chewed up, so you may want to play safe and control a lineman and let your CPU do most of the work, switching to them at the point of the play.

Draft Champions is all about clock management. If you got the ball to start the game, try to be up by half time, if you did not get the ball, try to be tied at the half. Stick to your gameplan, don't give up. If you're down by 7.. don't abandon your gameplan and what works for you. Be willing to punt. I was down 7 - 0 in the first half, with 2:30 left... and had a 4th down at my opponents 45. Now... I can guarantee my opponent would have gone for it (he didn't punt once), but I punted and pinned him at the 4 yard line. After a near safety, he had two quick incompletions and I got the ball back to tie 7-7 going into the half. Then I steadily marched down the field to take a 14-7 lead... He panicked, played like shit on his next drive, and went 0 - 4, adn then quit the game.

Draft Champions seems to encourage cheese play... going for it on 4th down, onside kicks, etc. It's really crazy. It's not like a typical game of football because the games are short and there's some strategy involved here, just not football strategy. It's almost like people do onside kicks to to a 2 for 1, like in basketball (e.g., scoring, then giving up a quick score, to then try to score again). It's interesting.

bhhx2Xil.png

Kind of disappointing that there's no achievement... the only reward is a pack of cards for Ultimate Team? That stinks. I don't even play ultimate team so what's the point other than getting cheesed all day.

My first fore into draft champions and online this year. Overall, all of the games ran pretty well... One of them lagged more than others and I had some key mistakes (diving instead of "RAC catch).

I also ran into my first madden player who EXCLUSIVELY called 4 verts. I'd heard of people like that but honestly didn't think that they really existed that they ONLY called 4 verts. It's the only play that he called for the entire game. Usually the 4 verts trips and he's switch it to 4 verts spread. He called this play for *every* play of the game... I can't believe he beat 3 people to get to the championship game like that.

He absolutely couldn't play any defense at all. I ran for 125 yards in a draft champions 4 min quarter game, which is saying something. He went for it on every 4th down, got some of them, but it cost him points at the end of the half... I was up 7 - 0 and though he had converted 2 4th downs on the drive, he went for it on another 4th with 5 seconds left in the half (when he should have kicked) and threw it to noone.

The play was easy to defend... It worked for him basically one out of every 5 plays, but every one of those was usually a deep pass. I'd like to figure out exactly how to defend it so that it can be shut down, but basically, what I did was:

- Quarters or Big Dime defense
- Cover 2 Man or Cover 3 Zone
- In both sets, I held LT + RB (QB contain)
- For most plays, I swapped the blitzing MLB to play a deep zone to cover the TE. I manually controlled him for most plays and should have had an INT on 2 of them. He stopped going to the TE after that and just went to WRs.
- When he was within the 20 yard line, I switched to cover 2, and made the DT play a QB spy, because he tried to scramble with 4 verts a number of times. THis is what generally got him into trouble.
- I had a number of plays that should have been INTs, but a few went to the WR. He had Calvin Johnson so even in good coverage, CJ pulled it down.

Offensive, I basically ran zone runs for the entire game, he had no idea how to defend it, and when he stacked the box to defend it and do an engage 8, I went to a wide open TE for 2 TDs. At the end I could have had a 4th TD but downed the ball instead, while he ran offsides...

GravyButt

When you first booted the game it asked if you wanted to connect twitter and something else I believe and get a free mut pack if im not mistaken. Ive never done mut before so I just said nah. Anyways my friend introduced me to it and it seems really intriguing so now im interested in it. Anyway to go back and do this?!

Spacebar

Why would I buy such a thing? It makes no sense. Unless I can unlock something with him.

Just so you can try the card out and see if you like that player. Then gets you hooked to buy more packs and get that player. Last year throughout the season they would give you an elite card that would drop in ratings in about a week.

I really enjoy the concept of MUT, but the grind is just too much for me this year. I'll be getting MGSV next week anyway. I'll probably just do a franchise mode or something.

Just so you can try the card out and see if you like that player. Then gets you hooked to buy more packs and get that player. Last year throughout the season they would give you an elite card that would drop in ratings in about a week.

I really enjoy the concept of MUT, but the grind is just too much for me this year. I'll be getting MGSV next week anyway. I'll probably just do a franchise mode or something.

Will playing franchise mode also provide mut coins?

Definitely more penalties this year but not a ton. I've seen defensive PI, roughing kicker and passer, unnecessary roughness (pissed me off at the time) as well as defensive & offensive holding.
Will playing franchise mode also provide mut coins?
Nope they keep those modes entirely separate thankfully (most franchise players don't like MUT style games)

Seems like game prep is mostly useless this year. Confidence is super easy to gain and the xp isn't even worth wasting 2 minutes on it.

The training tutorials from last year were good, but there's a whole bunch of new ones this year that explain the intricacies of running. I've been playing Madden for 20 years, but I never quite understood why/how certain plays work and why a play might work one time and not another. An example is a trap run, the one where the guard pulls to block... I never called it because it felt like it'd get blown up 50% of the time and be a gain 50% of the time. The drill on this explains why that happens and how to flip the play to prevent that... It's really interesting.

Same with the Power run. It's a run I usually don't call because it can be blown up or a gain. This explains where to follow, and to bounce to aim to go just to the side of the defender who gets double teamed.

I feel line the line interactions don't get enough credit

Yeah doing the drills help immensely. I didn't bother doing any of them last year therefore I was terrible. But I've made a conscious effort to learn to read blitzes/coverages and which options to cycle through so I'm less tragic this year.

Now I gotta figure how to run and when to call what kind of run. I'm also decent at defense but I admit that I'm not sure that I'm always calling what I'm trying to take away...

soxxx

Banned
Kinda stupid it does not show what team your opponent is picking online. There used to be a sort of mutual agreement before the match so both players would have similar level teams.........

Kinda sucks when you pick the Bills, then you see your opponent is running with New England. I guess when I play online I will have to always pick a better team =/

I got a code in my email that gives me 10 percent off my next PSN purchase just because I bought Madden. Check your email. Keep in mind I preordered hours before release on PSN.

Stat!

I've played 15 online games of Draft Champions.

I have never seen an opponent punt. I've seen 1 field goal in the countless times a guy has been 4th and 10 within my 30.

Its not even funny. Cause they just throw in double or triple coverage and aggressive catch and make it. My opponent right now has Garopollo and still makes those throws lol. He just has to make 1 in 4.

Top Bottom