• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

VRMN

trying to decide which console to buy this for. Are there performance issues on either console? I've been playing on EA access, but have always had it on PS systems over the years. I don't play online, and it seems like a toss up as to which controller is preferable.

If you have EA Access, it's cheaper on Xbox One. So if it's a toss up, I'd think the $6 you save getting it on Xbox One would sway you that way.

Jtrizzy

If you have EA Access, it's cheaper on Xbox One. So if it's a toss up, I'd think the $6 you save getting it on Xbox One would sway you that way.

I'm most interested in any performance issues. I do prefer the XB1 controller, but just barely, and not enough to overcome any performance issues. But yeah if all else is equal I guess XB1 is the choice.

I'm most interested in any performance issues. I do prefer the XB1 controller, but just barely, and not enough to overcome any performance issues. But yeah if all else is equal I guess XB1 is the choice.

i've played them both and i saw no difference in performance (be sure to clear your xbone cache if you're experiencing an issue with performance)

B4s5C

I know its a bit early, but does anyone have any custom sliders they want to share? I'm playing on All-Pro but I feel like no matter what pass I throw, my receivers automatically drop the ball.

KaYotiX

Banned
nay. it may seem that way to the casual fan but once you get into the new gameplay systems its actually extremely different from a strategy standpoint

The passing alone has alot of strategy with touch passing and high or low locations plus different types of catching.

Had the greatest feeling floating a lob pass to the back of the end zone over a LB as I was rolling right.

Game is really solid.

I know its a bit early, but does anyone have any custom sliders they want to share? I'm playing on All-Pro but I feel like no matter what pass I throw, my receivers automatically drop the ball.

how are you trying to catch it? make sure you aren't hitting Square/X (xbox) since that is Run After Catch effect and gives you a higher chance to drop the ball (but also makes you turn up field quicker if you do catch it)

So I did my Draft Champions draft for the Titans run and I end up with Haloti Ngata, Ndamukong Suh and John Randle on my Defensive line...

9bb28d6b_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

newsguy

The passing alone has alot of strategy with touch passing and high or low locations plus different types of catching.

Had the greatest feeling floating a lob pass to the back of the end zone over a LB as I was rolling right.

Game is really solid.

Yep. Last night I scored 2 TD's that felt great. I had Jordan Cameron mismatched with a small DB in the endzone. I threw L1 + aggressive catch to him and he did exactly what you would expect. Not a one handed crazy falling animation, he barely jumped and extended his arms and easily scored. Another was on a 2 point conversion. Jennings was being covered to the outside, so I threw L2 + possession catch and threw to his inside shoulder and he simply dropped to make the catch. It feels way better to know I have that kind of control over the outcome this year. These are things I've been trying to do for years in Madden, but never felt fully in control of.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Go dig into the tutorial stuff. They did a really good job with it.

Yeah, I did that and I get all of it, just figuring out on the fly in 10 seconds what to do pre snap and then what type of throw to make without getting sacked takes some work. Then you have to switch immediately and pick a catch type, if you remember them.

I've played four games with friends now and all in all I find this to be a worthy upgrade from last year's game. The graphics are impressive to me and I love the new presentation. As others have said, though, Aggressive Catch seems to be way over-powered. My buddy last night was able to get some huge yardage throws against 2-3 defenders by utilizing that. And my defenders, even with me controlling one, could not do anything. I held down the Aggressive Defense button, but it was as if my defender was doing nothing to stop the catch.

Yeah, I did that and I get all of it, just figuring out on the fly in 10 seconds what to do pre snap and then what type of throw to make without getting sacked takes some work. Then you have to switch immediately and pick a catch type, if you remember them.

On offense, you do not need to switch to the receive, you can just hit/hold the button. On defense, you do need to switch to the defender (as far as I can tell), but the options are just A (play defender) and Y (play ball) so it's not too bad.

I still have the most trouble switching to the defender then quickly knowing what button to press to best play it.. But when it works, this shit is amazing:

LHm7iWq.gif

http://i.imgur.com/LHm7iWq.gifv (High quality)

Yeah I suck at it [HB screen].

Bunch of good ways to defend it. FIrst, cover 2 zone does an adequate job of defending it with the CB. Man cover 1 also does a good job, especially if you control the LB who's covering the HB you can run him over. If you play as a d-lineman, switch to the DE on whatever side the RB is on. If the play develops an dit's obviously a screen (very obvious, your whole line gets through), immediately run your DE over towards the HB.

Outside of any formation/playcall, pre-snap hold LT (L2 on PS4) and hit RB (R1). This calls for a "QB Contain" which is actually an effective defense against non-running QBs... Still about as much pressure as non-contain. The QB Contain throws your LE/RE out wide and they play a short zone practicaly right at the line of scrimmage... This is a very effective deterrent to the HB screen. The CPU won't even throw there, most humans will but you'll be right there to tackle the RB behind the line OR even make a play for an INT. There's not a lot of risk calling QB contain on passing downs... 2nd and long or 3rd and long. It gets eaten up by the run but if it's a passing situation and you're not looking to sack the QB, then QB contain is a safe adjustment without much downside.

Against running QBs you could call QB contain almost every play IMO (in M15). In M16, there is a delay when the QB transitions from passing to running and so I don't think a mobile QB will be quite as dangerous as in the past. Need more time to tell though.

Anyone else get the bug where everyone's clothing and jersey turn black? I had to play an entire half that way. Really hard to see who was on what team.
medLqLY.jpg

RnKYuax.jpg

Pejo

I played about 4 hours of this game last night, love most of the changes. I would like to figure out if I can disable the prompts for receiving, but other than that I really like the feel this year. My trips HB Dive that I abused last year has been rendered mortal again, and slants are still a little too good, but the balance is much better. I still hate how speed backs basically fall over from touching an ankle of a blocked defender though. I would like to see them improve hit detection on tackles, as I love running the football.

Does anyone else notice that this year's game has a lot of FIFA-esque glitches and animations? Like where players spin around on their head trying to get up, or stand up after being tackled using no hands, they just kinda float to their feet. Also, I definitely caught some erotic touching going on after some gang tackles. I personally think it's hilarious and hope they don't "fix" it, but this is the first year I've noticed those things.

I really like the new camera zooming as well. It somehow makes those jump catches feel really exciting.

I haven't really done anything other than play a handful of exhibition games so far, so I plan on digging in to the other features later today. I'm hoping some of my friends pick this up soon so we can get some online gaming going too.

Definitely feel it was worth the 40 some dollars I paid. (thanks Best Buy GCU!)

Anyone else get the bug where everyone's clothing and jersey turn black? I had to play an entire half that way. Really hard to see who was on what team.
medLqLY.jpg

RnKYuax.jpg

These must be the new blackout uniforms we've heard so much about.

Haven't seen this. Ps4 or Xbox? There's a glitch with disappearing CB that one of the Polygon guys posted today.

EA mentioned a patch coming soon for connected franchise issues.

jmizzal

On offense, you do not need to switch to the receive, you can just hit/hold the button. On defense, you do need to switch to the defender (as far as I can tell), but the options are just A (play defender) and Y (play ball) so it's not too bad.

I still have the most trouble switching to the defender then quickly knowing what button to press to best play it.. But when it works, this shit is amazing:

LHm7iWq.gif

http://i.imgur.com/LHm7iWq.gifv (High quality)

Yea I love the new catching with WR and defending with DBs.

In the past you could almost never complete a deep pass unless the WR was open, now your guy can go up and make a play on the ball

These must be the new blackout uniforms we've heard so much about.

Haven't seen this. Ps4 or Xbox? There's a glitch with disappearing CB that one of the Polygon guys posted today.

EA mentioned a patch coming soon for connected franchise issues.

PS4 Franchise. I guess its the game telling me I should have picked Oakland.
That said, I really like the throw mechanics and the reciever mechanic but the first game I accidentally hurried up my offense to spike the ball, not sure what button I accidentally pressed after I hit the 1st down.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've played four games with friends now and all in all I find this to be a worthy upgrade from last year's game. The graphics are impressive to me and I love the new presentation. As others have said, though, Aggressive Catch seems to be way over-powered. My buddy last night was able to get some huge yardage throws against 2-3 defenders by utilizing that. And my defenders, even with me controlling one, could not do anything. I held down the Aggressive Defense button, but it was as if my defender was doing nothing to stop the catch.

Yep--this is a huge, huge problem right now.

Double D

Downloaded last night and only played some tutorial/skill game stuff.

I've never played MUT and would like to get into it. I've played a ton of FIFA UT so hopefully I'll be able to get into it without much of a learning curve. Just wondering, though, if there is anything equivalent to FUT's chemistry system. Been looking at some videos today and can't seem to find a good beginner's guide to actual team building.

I've only played a few local games against the CPU and it feels really overpowered but I haven't played enough games to really say so. But yes, I feel the same way about it as you do. Right now anyway.

Bsigg12

From the games I've played, when defending against a Aggressive Catch, using A/X to play the man works the best. If you're going up against someone like a Demarius Thomas or Calvin Johnson, you need to be hitting them as they catch because there is no hope in playing the ball against them.

Any tips on the best way to get coins? I was doing solo challenges but I stopped to do the Gatorade tutorial for packs. Those packs only give you crappy stuff it seems.

Soupy

Banned
Any tips on the best way to get coins? I was doing solo challenges but I stopped to do the Gatorade tutorial for packs. Those packs only give you crappy stuff it seems.

Solos, Completing Sets, Playing Head to head, and of course if you buy packs with coins or real money, you can sell Elites for a nice price in the Auction House.

Unless you spend a ton of real money on packs, getting a good team of mostly Elites is a long grind, but it's fun. :)

Solos, Completing Sets, Playing Head to head, and of course if you buy packs with coins or real money, you can sell Elites for a nice price in the Auction House.

Unless you spend a ton of real money on packs, getting a good team of mostly Elites is a long grind, but it's fun. :)

See, I'm at a disadvantage because I don't want to play online or spend more money. I did,however, get the Deluxe version or whatever that normally costs $69.99.

I think I only have 50 contracts left too. :(

Stat!

I have yet to play a game online (in 10) against an opponent who has punted the ball on 4th.

4th and 16 on your 10 in the first? Go for it. Had a guy who kept running out of hte pocket with his QB. Its crazy that the game doesn't really punish you or prevent you. I tried to QB contain but I would give up yards with the pass as soon as he rolled out and my guy went to go tackle the QB

I have yet to play a game online (in 10) against an opponent who has punted the ball on 4th.

4th and 16 on your 10 in the first? Go for it. Had a guy who kept running out of hte pocket with his QB. Its crazy that the game doesn't really punish you or prevent you. I tried to QB contain but I would give up yards with the pass as soon as he rolled out and my guy went to go tackle the QB

It really should punish you if you are on your own side of the field. Like maybe reduce the odds of a successful pass by 50%.

PreFire

Is there any way to watch your opponent when you play as a player in connected franchise mode?

I'm a rookie QB, and would love to see what the other team does instead of the sim the next user thing.

I haven't played madden in years, this shit is completely different lol

And what's with all the people without tattoos? The NBA video games don't have these tattoo licensing issues

I'm a total newb and I even I can see how ridiculously overpowered it is. Overall, the passing game looks too busy and what should be really stand out passing/pass block moments are now routine. There also isn't enough variety there with some of the pass catching animations.

I'm kind of at a point where I'm having trouble progressing and simply need a better team to supplement my lack of skills. I spent on an 84 rated LT as my o-line tackles were never upgraded from the 50-ish starters they gave me. My biggest weak points have been my offensive tackles, linebacker core and just an all round low 70's team with EJ Manuel at QB. Oddly, EJ probably will get cut in the preseason and they have him rated higher than Bortles who will start and looks to be progressing as a passer in real life.

Been playing on All-Pro for a couple of games now with some slightly adjusted sliders. I might make the jump to All-Madden.

Is it me or are my receivers dropping passes like its nothing. Even with the possession modifier. Didn't touch the catching slider. Might have to make that adjustment but it's crazy how many fall out of their hands while they're wide open. Maybe it's how I'm throwing it.

foladar

Is there an easy way to switch to the defender? I didn't realize you had to switch to the DB to prompt since you didn't have to for the receivers, maybe that explains QBs going 10 for 11 in my solos on rookie and them bombing it on me over and over..

foladar

See, I'm at a disadvantage because I don't want to play online or spend more money. I did,however, get the Deluxe version or whatever that normally costs $69.99.

I think I only have 50 contracts left too. :(

make sure you do the new weekly solos they put up earlier, they give 250 contracts and there's two of them.

mackaveli

Does anyone know if you can use the pre order mut codes more than once on an account?

My bro doesn't play MUT so can I use his code to get 2 packs a week instead of 1?

Did they got rid of the coin flip this year or has it been like that for a while? Kind of a bummer.

It was removed last year or the year before

I think the reasoning was they wanted to speed up the game for the people who play mostly online

Id like them to add it back in for offline modes next year

pwnage2u

Banned
The servers are really starting to piss me off. Always losing connection, hopefully they will fix them so I can play some more connected franchise.

Edwardo

So I get home from work last night and my roommate had bought this before I got home for a nice lil surprise. I got a lil suspicious after a couple of games of receivers snagging every single deep ball thrown to them. So then I realize that we were playing on pro, lol.

The game looks great. The only issue I had, but really isn't an issue, was that after a catch you can't really tell who has the ball. I feel like in older versions you could definitely tell right away.

The Seahawks are ridiculously good in this game. I am playing Franchise mode with the Bears (yes, not the best example) and I get to Week 3 against the Seahawks. Not once, twice, but three times do they run a one-play touchdown at the start of each of their possessions. I had to quit the game, I couldn't even stand it. :p

Anybody else experiencing the opposing QBs running the ball almost every play while simulating defense in connected franchise (All-Pro)? I know my defense is good, but damn this is getting pretty unrealistic when you have a QB rushing for 3 downs and then punting almost every drive.

So I take my team to the playoffs in MUT season mode and get matched up with a dude rocking every big name player on his team while I'm still slumming it. Shits frustrating. Hard to throw when your 70 avg o line is going up against all pros.

Is there an easy way to switch to the defender? I didn't realize you had to switch to the DB to prompt since you didn't have to for the receivers, maybe that explains QBs going 10 for 11 in my solos on rookie and them bombing it on me over and over..

Hit B (or circle on PS4), it'll switch you to the nearest defender with a play on the ball. Sometimes it switches to the wrong guy, but usually it's right.

The Seahawks are ridiculously good in this game. I am playing Franchise mode with the Bears (yes, not the best example) and I get to Week 3 against the Seahawks. Not once, twice, but three times do they run a one-play touchdown at the start of each of their possessions. I had to quit the game, I couldn't even stand it. :p

Facing elite teams with a doormat is much harder this time around, even on just All Pro difficulty. I'm taking over Tennessee in my online franchise with friends, and wanted to practice with them. The Colts and Patriots both housed me.

Bought the game, proceeded to load up Draft Champions and had a terrible error of not drafting a QB. I was so starstruck by getting gronk and lacy and all these defensive monsters, that it was round 15 and I had no choice.

I lost by 3.

Top Bottom