• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

Aroll

Impressions:

Offline franchise mode:

Every year a buddy and myself play an offline franchise. Usually a handful of them with each game iteration. We take control of typically a crappy team (one in each conference) and rebuild them via FA/trades/draft - relocate them so they truly feel like "our teams", and typically meet in the SB every year (we sim the entire regular season, unless we happen to play eachother). We play through the playoffs and obviously, if we both hit the SB - play eachother. It's a lot of fun as it combines the thrill of trying to kick your buddies arse with the micromanagement ways of building a team. Fun stuff.

This year, the #1 thing I wanted to see them improve was the speed under which simulating games was done via Xbox One. In 15 it was almost unberable. Sim a season? Might as well go make dinner, it's going to take 15, maybe 20 minutes. Every time you advance a week in hte offseason, there is another couple minute wait. It was nearly unbearable. When I booted up the game and noted the really long load time to get to the menus... I feared it would be the same. They greatly improved it. Online franchise is but a few seconds when simming - but there is no local two player for it. Sad day.

However, offline franchise mode has been greatly improved in the time on the simulation. It's bearable now. I can only hope it gets better faster.

Otherwise, it's mostly the same game for micromanaging. I like that they included in game XP for accomplishing tasks - really makes you want to hit those game to game and season long targets, as it's the quickest way to work on your guys.

They hid a lot of stuff behind more menus, so it was confusing at first. they also might as well have dropped the "news/twitter" area, as now that it is placed in the very last menu, under a sub menu no less, I doubt anyone is ever going to bother to load it up. Would have loved to see a deal with ESPN or NBC/Fox to get "highlights" post game. Like the old ESPN show they had in the 2K series. Not sure why this isn't a thing anymore. I also still really miss the old training camp. Felt like a great way to get better with your players. Sure, you can use the in season practices and training, but it doesn't feel as organic since you have to spend "hours" - when in reality, you can have all WR's, all QB's, all OL, all DL, all CB's etc all working on things at the exact same time during the exact same hours in RL. So relegating it to limited hours instead of a full TC just... eh. It is what it is.

Overall, I'm satisfied. They improved my one major gripe from last year. In game XP is cool.

MUT - Mut is what it is. Never been big into it because it feels like it is forcing me to spend money all the time. It's not, but it's built that way. Just not a fan of it.

Draft Champions is really entertaining. Reminds me a bit of the last full Blitz game, minus the really sweet cutscene story elements. Would ahve been cool if they included something like that to really spice up that mode.

H2H finally has a estimated wait timer. Thank god. They seem to have totally changed how points work in H2H, you gain far more per win and lose far more per loss. I guess they wanted to see some super high "rank" scores or something.

In general gameplay:

This is probably the "best" version of madden gameplay I have seen to date. My one and only grip is the Y (spectacular catch) is far too OP. There are WR's who are ranked 67 and under making one handed special catches against DB's ranked in the mid 80's. That just really shouldn't be possible - or at least - possible as often as it is. But it literally works 75% of the time if it's a one on one situation. There is a bit more variance if it;s a player controlling the DB, but the advantage is still clearly with the WR who seems to always make the better jump.

I do like the fine precision on passing and catching. It feels like I finally have control over what is happen. Throwing that slant a yard short of the first and you really want your WR to try and stretch it? Hit the RAC catch, and he will attempt to twist up field for that extra yardage. Want to just secure the catch with a big hit coming? You can control that. Want to just try and make an impossible grab? You can now do it (and yes, some WR's make those grabs look standard... this game just makes every WR able to do it. Odd)

More than that, the fine control ont he passing really has me going. Back shoulder fades are FINALLY in the game. It's one of the most used redzone throws out there and it took this long to finally give us the precision in the pass game to even attempt it. I love that lob passes are actually lobs, and that bullet passes are actually bullets. I didn't think I was use the "standard throw (double tap)" much, but there are many times off a break you want to sort of not drill it (need to get it over a LB), but not lob it either (saftey can jump it). It's really interesting.

I also likle the precision on low and high balls. Makes a difference when trying to avoid a defender.

Defensively, while they argue they made similar changes there - reality is that it's mostly the same and the advantage is now with the offense more than it's ever been before.

Kacho

This game is running like ass on the Xbox. MUT challenges not updating after I beat them, slow and janky menus, cards say they're downloading...not enjoying it so far. Last years was better IMO.

Smokey

This game is running like ass on the Xbox. MUT challenges not updating after I beat them, slow and janky menus, cards say they're downloading...not enjoying it so far. Last years was better IMO.

Must be a X1 thing.

I am playing and completing solos on PS4. Getting the coins for them as well. I've put some items on the Auction House too. All with no problems :l

Bread

Banned
haven't had issues with anything besides the MUT challenges not updating. I hope that's something that will fix itself, I don't want to play them again without knowing if I will get credit or not.
Must be a X1 thing.

I am playing and completing solos on PS4. Getting the coins for them as well. I've put some items on the Auction House too. All with no problems :l
the cards not downloading thing was happening on brenttrek's stream as well

Outside of the game, which runs great. The menus, MUT & Draft, seem to be really laggy. I think the servers are overloaded.

Just played my first game and as a guy how has not really liked madden over the years, I had a great time in my first game. The game doesn't feel sluggish this year, and the new on field presentation camera angles look great and help make the game feel a little fresher. And that Method Man & Redman song is legit. Could play that on repeat.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Impressions:

Offline franchise mode:

Every year a buddy and myself play an offline franchise. Usually a handful of them with each game iteration. We take control of typically a crappy team (one in each conference) and rebuild them via FA/trades/draft - relocate them so they truly feel like "our teams", and typically meet in the SB every year (we sim the entire regular season, unless we happen to play eachother). We play through the playoffs and obviously, if we both hit the SB - play eachother. It's a lot of fun as it combines the thrill of trying to kick your buddies arse with the micromanagement ways of building a team. Fun stuff.

This year, the #1 thing I wanted to see them improve was the speed under which simulating games was done via Xbox One. In 15 it was almost unberable. Sim a season? Might as well go make dinner, it's going to take 15, maybe 20 minutes. Every time you advance a week in hte offseason, there is another couple minute wait. It was nearly unbearable. When I booted up the game and noted the really long load time to get to the menus... I feared it would be the same. They greatly improved it. Online franchise is but a few seconds when simming - but there is no local two player for it. Sad day.

However, offline franchise mode has been greatly improved in the time on the simulation. It's bearable now. I can only hope it gets better faster.

Otherwise, it's mostly the same game for micromanaging. I like that they included in game XP for accomplishing tasks - really makes you want to hit those game to game and season long targets, as it's the quickest way to work on your guys.

They hid a lot of stuff behind more menus, so it was confusing at first. they also might as well have dropped the "news/twitter" area, as now that it is placed in the very last menu, under a sub menu no less, I doubt anyone is ever going to bother to load it up. Would have loved to see a deal with ESPN or NBC/Fox to get "highlights" post game. Like the old ESPN show they had in the 2K series. Not sure why this isn't a thing anymore. I also still really miss the old training camp. Felt like a great way to get better with your players. Sure, you can use the in season practices and training, but it doesn't feel as organic since you have to spend "hours" - when in reality, you can have all WR's, all QB's, all OL, all DL, all CB's etc all working on things at the exact same time during the exact same hours in RL. So relegating it to limited hours instead of a full TC just... eh. It is what it is.

Overall, I'm satisfied. They improved my one major gripe from last year. In game XP is cool.

MUT - Mut is what it is. Never been big into it because it feels like it is forcing me to spend money all the time. It's not, but it's built that way. Just not a fan of it.

Draft Champions is really entertaining. Reminds me a bit of the last full Blitz game, minus the really sweet cutscene story elements. Would ahve been cool if they included something like that to really spice up that mode.

H2H finally has a estimated wait timer. Thank god. They seem to have totally changed how points work in H2H, you gain far more per win and lose far more per loss. I guess they wanted to see some super high "rank" scores or something.

In general gameplay:

This is probably the "best" version of madden gameplay I have seen to date. My one and only grip is the Y (spectacular catch) is far too OP. There are WR's who are ranked 67 and under making one handed special catches against DB's ranked in the mid 80's. That just really shouldn't be possible - or at least - possible as often as it is. But it literally works 75% of the time if it's a one on one situation. There is a bit more variance if it;s a player controlling the DB, but the advantage is still clearly with the WR who seems to always make the better jump.

I do like the fine precision on passing and catching. It feels like I finally have control over what is happen. Throwing that slant a yard short of the first and you really want your WR to try and stretch it? Hit the RAC catch, and he will attempt to twist up field for that extra yardage. Want to just secure the catch with a big hit coming? You can control that. Want to just try and make an impossible grab? You can now do it (and yes, some WR's make those grabs look standard... this game just makes every WR able to do it. Odd)

More than that, the fine control ont he passing really has me going. Back shoulder fades are FINALLY in the game. It's one of the most used redzone throws out there and it took this long to finally give us the precision in the pass game to even attempt it. I love that lob passes are actually lobs, and that bullet passes are actually bullets. I didn't think I was use the "standard throw (double tap)" much, but there are many times off a break you want to sort of not drill it (need to get it over a LB), but not lob it either (saftey can jump it). It's really interesting.

I also likle the precision on low and high balls. Makes a difference when trying to avoid a defender.

Defensively, while they argue they made similar changes there - reality is that it's mostly the same and the advantage is now with the offense more than it's ever been before.

Is there a good GM only (no playing games) mode?

Stat!

Anyone want to play? Im terrible and need to learn defense

Also, I need to learn to not punt on 4th since thats what everyone else seems to do...

For fucks sake EA. Madden prints money, how the fuck do you guys leave it littered with bugs? I feel like they spend most of their budget licensing music and creating shitty overbearing transitional menus. Fix this shit.

Someone make a thread for this janky shit so we can draw more attention to it.

Funnily enough the challenge is called "what's the point?" Exactly. What's the freaking point when I beat it 3 times now and it wont give me credit for it?

For fucks sake EA. Madden prints money, how the fuck do you guys leave it littered with bugs? I feel like they spend most of their budget licensing music and creating shitty overbearing transitional menus. Fix this shit.

Someone make a thread for this janky shit so we can draw more attention to it.

what janky shit? i've played the game in excess of 10 hours and haven't seen many bugs

what janky shit? i've played the game in excess of 10 hours and haven't seen many bugs

You beat challenges and they don't unlock.

You start a new MUT Season game and get a roster download error. It asks you if you want to try to download again then it just freezes up.

I was just playing a game and the QB instead of spiking the ball like he should have, just stood there waiting to be tackled.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really disappointed at how buggy this is. Way, way worse than last year.

Plinko...X1? I know Bread is.

Shit, I had the same glitch too. Was playing Solo MUT against the Texans for a Style game (GP), and won, got nothing.

Won again, got nothing.

Game has locked up three times so far. I had an interception at the end of the game against the Bucs, locked up. Could hear the commentators, got a delay of game penalty, went Dashboard, went back in, no sound no movement.

Ever since Bo Jackson joined my team he has had the glitchiest animations after games. Teleporting constantly.

I'm guessing the release today has killed the online because it fails the roster update every time and wastes a solid 30 seconds-1 minute on startup. And then sometimes repeats even though I tell it not to.

Locked up on roster screen when I was swapping Gronk in. Guess it was pulling player pictures from online or something.

Love the game, but this is really dampening my enthusiasm for it after a fun trial period.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am rusty as hell. Also I always have issues with pre-snap stuff. Figuring out if I need to change anything or not.

Too much information to take in.

They say on Twitter that they are aware of solo challenge bug.

"if you have solo challenge wins that are not registering, try backing out of the mode and re-entering. Thanks for hanging in."

"We are investigating the solo challenge issue. Thank you for your patience, and apologies for the inconvenience."

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what's the best way to get better at the pre-snap stuff?

Man, so much new to learn too. The defense and WR/QB throw catch types.

Caved in to the hype unfortunately.

Seriously disappointed and regretted my purchase almost immediately.

This is basically the exact same game as Madden 15.

People who are on the fence who have played or own Madden 15, I would strongly advise against buying Madden 16.

Smokey

People who are on the fence who have played or own Madden 15, I would strongly advise against buying Madden 16.

not really

but ok

Clear your Xbox cache, it's in the op and on almost every page. I had a lot of issues early on till I did that and it runs as well as last year

newsguy

The WR/DB interactions alone make this game feel very different from 15. Fades to the end zones actually work for the first time ever, and you actually have control of the outcome. The running animations combined with the less wonky physics also make it feel much different. One thing I immediately changed was the camera angle back to standard. The super zoomed in view makes running feel too slow and passing feel too fast.

nay. it may seem that way to the casual fan but once you get into the new gameplay systems its actually extremely different from a strategy standpoint

I've gotta give them credit on the netcode. Plays well online.

Edit: Cleared cache like you guys suggested. So far so good.

Spoke too soon. Game just froze up completely. I guess I wasted all that time. No win for me.

LJ11

The WR/DB interactions alone make this game feel very different from 15. Fades to the end zones actually work for the first time ever, and you actually have control of the outcome. The running animations combined with the less wonky physics also make it feel much different. One thing I immediately changed was the camera angle back to standard. The super zoomed in view makes running feel too slow and passing feel too fast.

Madden 15 had OP redzone spec catch animations, but very few knew about it until it finally spread via YouTube. All you had to do was put your outside WR on a fade, and every receiver on the field had spec catch if you were inside the 15. Insane animations, fade worked but you had to throw the streak route. It was nuts to see some of the catches. This year EA just made it accessible to all without some ridiculous glitch triggering the animations.

Jtrizzy

trying to decide which console to buy this for. Are there performance issues on either console? I've been playing on EA access, but have always had it on PS systems over the years. I don't play online, and it seems like a toss up as to which controller is preferable.

Top Bottom