• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Fifty

FMT, have you tested out pinching with 3 lineman to see that it's unfairly effective? I've done it plenty of times and haven't noticed it. Granted I wasn't looking for cheese.

The crash I tested, without any pinch (with DE contain play, and probably most others) was unfair, but pinching I never got around to checking. It'd be a real shame to have a 3-4 player against a 4-3 and have only one of them able to stop the inside run.

dammitmattt said:
Do I get my win against True, too???

That makes me 9-7, but I assume that I lose the tiebreakers? :(

Oh, well. It's my fault. If I had won just one of my 5 3-point loss games, including 2 overtime games, I'd be in the playoffs. So all I get for winning 9 out of my 10 last games is a lower draft pick...damn....

If we all end up 9-7 (skins, eagles, saints, bears, seahawks, and rams) eagles get eliminated from the first rule. If one of the remaining rams 2 losses comes to the cardinals they also get eliminated due to the first rule. If not it comes down to strength of victory for you guys. I hold the tiebreaker over the bears due to head to head. Saints hold the tiebreaker over me due to conference record. So that leaves saints vs seahawks or saints vs rams. Seahawks would have the tiebreaker over the saints not sure about the saints vs rams, so if i were you i'd hope seahawks lose the division tiebreaker ruleset with the rams. Keep in mind this is just for 9-7 for all of us. Rams have the potential to go 11-5. Hawks could go 10-6.

Fifty said:
FMT, have you tested out pinching with 3 lineman to see that it's unfairly effective? I've done it plenty of times and haven't noticed it. The crash I tested was unfair, but pinching I never got around to checking. It'd be a real shame to have a 3-4 player against a 4-3 and have only one of them able to stop the inside run.

Yep of the two I thought crash was far more unfair. The combination is redonkulous, but pinch alone I dont think is unfairly effective.

To add to Fifty's point, the timing of this rule change stinks. To have this change come on the eve of the playoffs when I've refined certain aspects of my defensive play is a big blow to me. Not that I crash and pinch every play, but there are instincts I have to alter my line based on what I see. The only other recourse I see is in sending my middle linebakers to blitz up the middle to stop the run. And I highly doubt people will be too happy about a steady diet of that.

If 3-4 defenses can't crash, 4-3 defenses shouldn't be able to pinch or crash either. Like Fifty said, it gives 4-3 players a huge advantage. And I know I cant master the nuances of a 4-3 defense in time for Monday when the playoffs start.

Shawnwhann said:
To add to Fifty's point, the timing of this rule change stinks. To have this change come on the eve of the playoffs when I've refined certain aspects of my defensive play is a big blow to me. Not that I crash and pinch every play, but there are instincts I have to alter my line based on what I see. The only other recourse I see is in sending my middle linebakers to blitz up the middle to stop the run. And I highly doubt people will be too happy about a steady diet of that.

If 3-4 defenses can't crash, 4-3 defenses shouldn't be able to pinch or crash either. Like Fifty said, it gives 4-3 players a huge advantage. And I know I cant master the nuances of a 4-3 defense in time for Monday when the playoffs start.

... atm the moment the rule only forbids pinching. Crashing is really where the bug comes from as Fifty said so I'd like to see it changed to crashing as opposed to pinching.

Shawnwhann said:
FMT, how does this new rule affect 3-4 formations that have an over or under sub formation? Technically a LB becomes a down lineman, so I'd have 4 d-linemen allowing me to crash right?!?
Wellington said:
In over/under formations with the 4-3, the strong/weak LB does not shift with line shifts. I would assume the same applies with the 3-4.

A little late on my take here, but over/under doesn't make the lb a lineman and i would think this rule still applies. They play on the line but as Wellie said they don't shift with the line.

AirBrian

I lost just for you, Slo!

GG, SB. That fumble in the first where my reciever was playing hot potato out in the flat was really the turning point. Instead of being up by at least 10, you ran that back to tie it up. Then it just went downhill from there and I couldn't catch a break. Your punt that stopped on my 4 was nice, and then my punt stops on the freakin' goal line. Rudy is a beast and you use him well. Good luck the rest of the way.

SickBoy

3-4 discussion below, but first:

GG AirBrian... game really turned on that fumble, I think... you have my condolences on using the St. Louis D... but the Rams are an interesting team to defend against. So many good options... I think things just started to get away and forced you to reach, making more turnovers.... otherwise it would've been a real nailbiter.

EDIT: I also can't believe how open my back got on that TD at the end of the 2nd...

And now, onto the rules:

I play a lot of 3-4 these days, and I'm fine with not crashing -- I don't do it a ton to start with, although when I have, I haven't found myself getting amazing pressure.

The question is, how do you enforce this?

My huge concern is that there are unquestionably playaction passes on offense that let a nose tackle through. If the computer's controlling the NT it's not a big deal because even if it's 3rd and 80, he'll tackle the back. But if I'm controlling him, I might not... and that was an issue particularly in my first game against Ramirez (same thing happened in our second game and I saw the same effect, although I played the run, in my just-finished game against AirBrian). I think it sucks, but at the same time, it seems to happen mainly against those rollout plays that generate absurd amounts of time for the QB if you're not bringing extra help from the outside.

So how do you compensate for the game's brokenness? Do I not play NT? Do I play NT but tackle the RB every time like the CPU would? Or do I play the way I've always been playing and if the line opens up these huge holes for me to run through, then get called a cheeser at the end of the game? IMO, there's some accountability on the offense not to run plays that just don't work. There's a reason I rarely throw hooks.

I'm willing to change things up if that's necessary, but the whole situation sort of sucks, and I'd like to see a little more testing done on just how broken the crash really is. Because if it is the problem it seems to be, anytime I get pressure from a standard 3-4 D, I think that's going to come under question...

SickBoy

EDIT: Oh crap, I'm wrong on playoffs. If I lose, the Raiders are in. If I win, they're out. What awesome power to wield!

I'm pretty happy to be in the playoffs (and now on the road to a whipping for my last game, whoever deals it). Made my official every-year season-starting goal of going over .500, so that's pretty cool.

guys just to confirm a couple things:

1. i'm still investigating the 3-4 issue. any feedback from you guys will help me

2. regarding truelize games: i'm going to try to not hand out auto-wins. we'll find someone to play!

Fifty

Just played one of Daw's games. Beat the Pats 17-14..I was extra motivated since it's the Pats, which made things tougher for Jube. I still threw too many dumb INTs, but at least my guys got 4 (2 user). My scrambling was so off..twice I scrambled out and threw the ball away under pressure only to realize that I had a clear path up the field.

Funny, the 2nd best team in the Pats' division is 2 games worse than the worst team in the NFC East. The Pats have it made! :lol

FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys just to confirm a couple things:

1. i'm still investigating the 3-4 issue. any feedback from you guys will help me

2. regarding truelize games: i'm going to try to not hand out auto-wins. we'll find someone to play!

1. Any 3 lineman play that has de contain and you pinch+crash is damn near unstoppable in the a gap. I haven't tried just crashing but that maybe the root of the problem as fifty said that he was seeing it when he crashed the line. Much harder to enforce the crash when its by itself so I understand why you choose to enforce it on the pinch, but if it happens even without the pinch then it might still be a issue. I haven't tried crashing alone or in any other 3 lineman play because it was mentioned it was on de contain plays, so it might even affect all 3-4 plays.

2. If you need anybody to fill in let me know.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
My 360 update

I got screwed :(. I bought an extended warranty but because Microsoft has a fix for the 3 red rings the store I bought it from took that as an opportunity to create a loophole and they have told me that because MS can fix it, it is not a system that they deem replaceable. So I'm $80 poorer for buying the warranty and I still get to send my system back to MS.

I might be able to borrow a system from a friend to help me with withdrawal but I'm not counting on it. This is gonna be a really really long month for me. I mean I spend more time chatting on my 360 then I do on AIM or GAF.

So please find someone to replace my games for me. I think Fifty would be a good fit actually. He's struggled with a horrible team this year so he will know what's it's like to play with retarded players. :)

Please, please, please let me have the team I want for season two and give me time to catch up my games for the start of season two if I don't have my system back by the time season two starts. I finally started enjoying Madden I don't want to miss out now. They are telling me 3 to 4 weeks so if you guys all have playoffs and such still it's possible I would only miss the first game or two. It would be much appreciated guys.

I have borrowed a laptop for now so I am reachable either by PM here or on AIM when I'm on. Take care with the rest of the year. My pick for champ is .........

I'll still check in day to day to see whats going on.

Thanks guys. Pray for me. :p

Fifty

Since the games against the Rams/Seahawks affect playoff seeding and the playoffs start on monday, I think we should play the odds and d keep the auto wins. Since Matt and Striker are both out of the playoff picture, those games could be played with a fill in. I can't imagine either of them wanting an auto win if that'll just give them a worse draft pick.

Fifty

DMczaf said:
Why am I never offered the role of fill-in?

FMT and his racist leagues.

Honestly? Because you'd kick the crap out of most people. :lol If striker or matt wants to play you, you can go ahead and do it.

Fifty said:
Since the games against the Rams/Seahawks affect playoff seeding and the playoffs start on monday, I think we should play the odds and d keep the auto wins. Since Matt and Striker are both out of the playoff picture, those games could be played with a fill in. I can't imagine either of them wanting an auto win if that'll just give them a worse draft pick.

So no playoffs for me in any scenario?

Fifty

If Seattle loses (against me) and you win against the Falcons, you'd be tied at 9-7 but because he has the last spot and he beat you earlier in the season, I believe that he'd have the spot instead of you, not to mention any of the other teams. That seems like a simple tiebreaker situation to me.

Fifty said:
If Seattle loses (against me) and you win against the Falcons, you'd be tied at 9-7 but because he has the last spot and he beat you earlier in the season, I believe that he'd have the spot instead of you, not to mention any of the other teams. That seems like a simple tiebreaker situation to me.

I outlined this in one of my earlier posts, but if seattle and the rams are tied the first rule in the tiebreakers is to eliminate division opponents,

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

So if Seattle wins that then yes Matt can't win, but if the rams win I think matt might hold the other tiebreakers.

At least I think I did it right, but who knows.

Fifty said:

I say we have a playoff to determine the playoff slots instead of tiebreakers :D

sableholic said:
I outlined this in one of my earlier posts, but if seattle and the rams are tied the first rule in the tiebreakers is to eliminate division opponents,

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

So if Seattle wins that then yes Matt can't win, but if the rams win I think matt might hold the other tiebreakers.

At least I think I did it right, but who knows.

Go Rams screw Lonestar!!!!!!!!!!

SickBoy

Hey Demon, I've got to head out in less than an hour for a family event. I should be home at a reasonable hour tonight. I'm guessing around 10MT (midnight ET) at the latest... I'll try to track you down here or on Live.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's bad enough to find a replacement, but to have that replacement be the Ravens Superplayer, and a Madden Vet that I'm sure I've rarely beaten. I'm given a fucking gauntlet to run through.

Andokuky

Banned
GG. That 94 yarder was such a load of crap. I read the play perfectly with DJ Williams, should get LT in the backfield, run up to him and dive but it makes my guy dive backwards and LT is gone for 94 yards. I wonder when they are finally going to get rid of that crap.

bluemax

Banned
Andokuky said:
GG. That 94 yarder was such a load of crap. I read the play perfectly with DJ Williams, should get LT in the backfield, run up to him and dive but it makes my guy dive backwards and LT is gone for 94 yards. I wonder when they are finally going to get rid of that crap.

I thought he had him for a loss but LT gets some nice/lucky broken tackles at times. I'm glad I played better in this one than our earlier game, wish I hadn't made that INT right near the end of the first half. That and I wish I had punted better, ugh.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Rorschach said:
To whoever takes the Chargers next season: fuck you. That is all.

If someone even thinks of stealing the eagles before my pick, ill be taking the chargers as my big fuck you to the whole league. LT will learn the meaning of DM Ball

Rorschach

ColdBlooded33 said:
If someone even thinks of stealing the eagles before my pick, ill be taking the chargers as my big fuck you to the whole league. LT will learn the meaning of DM Ball
:lol If the Eagles are taken by that time, what makes you think the Chargers will be available?

first off i can guarantee you that the chargers wont be available at your pick.

secondly, you're a washed up madden has-been! you can't hack it anymore old man! phone in your season 11 4-12 record!

CB3

Correct me if im wrong but last time we played madden you got all cocky and picked the browns. i proceeded to kick the shit outta you

Rorschach

I'm tanking next season so I can take the top pick and finally not suck. :D

Can't believe someone as good as fifty gets a top spot. >:|

Correct me if im wrong but last time we played madden you got all cocky and picked the browns. i proceeded to kick the shit outta you

oh im sorry did you say something? i can't hear you as the sounds of being in the playoffs are so loud and bombastic. enjoy hearing about our adventures!

CB3

FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh im sorry did you say something? i can't hear you as the sounds of being in the playoffs are so loud and bombastic. enjoy hearing about our adventures!

Your angry because you know i can beat your ass in madden, 2k8, and especially all pro. Its understandable.

CB3

Oh ill get there next season. And i know you cheated me out of the all pro season because you didnt want to get embarrassed by me time and again.

Its a shame your wont make the 2k8 playoffs because you suck too much/will quit half way in.

Oh ill get there next season. And i know you cheated me out of the all pro season because you didnt want to get embarrassed by me time and again.

Its a shame your wont make the 2k8 playoffs because you suck too much/will quit half way in.

you have developed the lovable loser mentality... not unlike the chicago cubs

apf 2k8 can suck my nuts. i can put up with flaws (see this madden league!) but that shit is ridiculous and i think 90% of the league agreed. also, nothing was stopping you from saying "hang on! ill commish the league and run things!" but you didn't!

CB3

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you have developed the lovable loser mentality... not unlike the chicago cubs

apf 2k8 can suck my nuts. i can put up with flaws (see this madden league!) but that shit is ridiculous and i think 90% of the league agreed. also, nothing was stopping you from saying "hang on! ill commish the league and run things!" but you didn't!

yeah thats cause you left me out of it! Always keeping the mexicans down

Bitch i will beat you right now

CB3

[17:58] TheColdOne33: ill beat you in madden right now bitch ass punk
[17:59] whossorrynow15: i have to get my costume ready
[17:59] whossorrynow15: or else i would fucking stomp you

I knew it. You dont want none of this

Top Bottom