• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Karak

Two problems so far: Repetitive side missions and the AI is fucking awful when you're playing stealthily. Just whistle and knife everybody.

I cranked it and it was ok with hybrid gameplay. But I only played like 15 hours on that difficulty level. When I went full aggressive they did ok as well. Full stealth and it was a bit easy

I like the stealth in this game. Like the AI is real stupid, and they only respond to whistles one at a time, but it's still pretty satisfying

Also those melee executions are B R U T A L and fun to watch

I've played almost six hours and am still really early on and am liking it a lot

Once I've deposited cash how do I get it back?

Xox gossip dan

You don't need to, when you purchase stuff it will just take money from your stash. The stash is just so you don't lose money if you die like you do when you keep the money on you

regarding distribution of rackets (mid story/gameplay spoilers)

What's your strat? I gave my first post tutorial area to cassandra and vito was pissed. He didn't leave yet thankfully and I want to keep all three alive.

This game feels like it needed an extra year of development to fix bugs, enhance the graphics, and add some general open-world activities like fight clubs and racing. I feel like it's gonna get super shat on in reviews because of all the technical issues and extreme repetitiveness.

The open-world is just there and feels worse than games a decade older. The NPCs are dumb as all hell and are constantly getting into pileups and don't try to drive around obstacles. And there's nothing to do but murder people and pick up collectibles Ubisoft-style with towers and everything. They should have just made a linear game set in an open-world with more realistic elements like traffic laws like the first two games if they were gonna screw up this badly in making a gta-clone. I'm already tired of the rackets and just want more story to chew through or some other activities to do.

As repetitive as the mission structure is the story missions are damn strong in this. Wish they never even bothered with the side stuff, feels like they were trying to emulate GTA and failed in that regard, story and character wise I think it's stronger then any GTA has been.

Did they keep the cool stuff from Mafia 2, like bribing cops, changing cars and clothes so they don't match police descriptions, etc.?

J_Viper

As repetitive as the mission structure is the story missions are damn strong in this. Wish they never even bothered with the side stuff, feels like they were trying to emulate GTA and failed in that regard, story and character wise I think it's stronger then any GTA has been.
Well GTAV didn't really have side-content. Even those Strangers & Freaks missions were closer to main missions.

Even if the side stuff in Mafia gets repetitive, at least it's there.

Rembrandt

Banned
Personally I hate the two weapon limit as you'll be replacing weapons a lot if you're in a heated fire fight and although I haven't died yet, even on normal your health can get chewed up pretty quick if things get sticky. If you get hit with a shotgun you will definitely feel it.

i love that. fuck, this is tempting.

weirdly, this makes me wanna know how often people die. when i think about it, i haven't died in certain open-world missions for a very long time.

Well GTAV didn't really have side-content. Even those Strangers & Freaks missions were closer to main missions.

weird to have the strangers and freak missions as negatives. side missions coming closer to main missions in quality/structure is a great thing, not a bad one. especially when they span from a weed-pro spokesman giving you laced weed that leads to you attacking aliens to you meeting a guy that constantly one ups his last parachute jump to joining GTA's version of scientology through the web browser with a specific character that leads to a stupid long triathlon to repoing cars.

besides for the collectathons - GTA V had: street races, hunting, arms trafficking, time trials, flight school/parachuting/etc with things like mayhem/rampage/survival being side missions, iirc, but they were essentially free-roam activities. it has a decent amount of stuff to do on the side; the problem is that a lot of it is boring. even IV managed to make vigilante missions interesting by integrating it into the police scanner in cop cars. i definitely wouldn't say GTA V doesn't have side content, but I would say that a lot of it isn't really interesting. the peyote thing is probably the most interesting side mission. granted, those are very fucking interesting/random.

TaKeRx

Reposting in a new page

Hi guys I have a question. I preordered the game (deluxe) digitally on Xbox, but I see that I have the game and the kickback bonus installed. I do not see the season pass even though it says I own it... do you have have the season pass installed on your console?

Thanks

dedhead54

Game crashed at beginning of a cutscene so i had to reload a few min earlier and now the game crashed at the same spot. Goddamnit.

PS4 version.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
as far as i can tell the cops are in the pocket of the mob and you cant bribe them. i don't think the rest are in either.

Most of all that is gutted
No. You can buy off cops for 30 seconds and clear blue zones.

CuOGgEFWcAA6HMi.jpg:large

I'm assuming more abilities will be unlocked as you clear areas.

True on the GTAV part, but the problem with this game is that you're forced to do the side stuff to get to the main missions. It's not so much that there are things to do on the side.

The game is yelling at me that 'all rackets are at max earn' and is now highlighting the story missions I have unlocked. Should I stop doing side missions temporarily? I have quite a few to do but it seems like the game is telling me I'm not going to maximize my profits if I don't acquire more rackets.

Edit: Nvm, I get it.

Karak

No. You can buy off cops for 30 seconds and clear blue zones.

I'm assuming more abilities will be unlocked as you clear areas.

Thats why I said most

True on the GTAV part, but the problem with this game is that you're forced to do the side stuff to get to the main missions. It's not so much that there are things to do on the side.

Correct the endgame is rather odd. Leaving you with this lopsided game loop. its not horrible but its a bit unbalanced

hollomat

Banned

There really isn't side content in this game because you have to do it to advance the story. Really the only side content is the collectibles.

Tovarisc

So I just finished the
Dope
racket (early game)

Am I still in the tutorial phases?

When you
give 1st area over to Haitians
tutorial is more or less over.

There really isn't side content in this game because you have to do it to advance the story. Really the only side content is the collectibles.

You don't need increase racket gains or do favors to your subbosses, but those are available. Favors being more or less their own small stories.

Karak

I cannot find how to change driving mode. Not under Options or Game. Help?

The options menu is funny enough sort of shit.
First many options don't show up for a bit. Additionally they are not only right and left but tabbed internatlly as well. So when you get to options you have 4 sets of menus there. Have you checked in the one labeled game?

Reule

The options menu is funny enough sort of shit.
First many options don't show up for a bit. Additionally they are not only right and left but tabbed internatlly as well. So when you get to options you have 4 sets of menus there. Have you checked in the one labeled game?
Yeah, just found it. Thanks. Interesting choice there.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This soundtrack...WOW! How it adds to the overall narrative, both gameplay and cutscenes is down right outstanding. Gameplay so far is solid but damn the overall presentation is some of the best Ive seen this year.

painey

so this game has no achievements for collectibles that do nothing in-game? why would you even collect them? (aside from playboys, obviously)

This soundtrack...WOW! How it adds to the overall narrative, both gameplay and cutscenes is down right outstanding. Gameplay so far is solid but damn the overall presentation is some of the best Ive seen this year.
As far as licensed soundtracks go, I'm struggling to think of a better and deeper one than this. Vice City?
so this game has no achievements for collectibles that do nothing in-game? why would you even collect them? (aside from playboys, obviously)
I am because I like '100%ing' a game and they are easy to find since they are on the map.

Rembrandt

Banned

i understand the complaint but that's such a great thing. leave collectables for those that want them. don't lock people out of a 1000/1000 because of hilariously weird/stupid hidden collectables.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I've played 9 hours so far. Just finished doing
Vito's whole neighborhood. Going onto the Irishman tomorrow. Really like the Cuban chick of Vito's.

Smooth sailing so far performance wise. Not a single crash. Only some occasional graphical oddities. But they've all been very brief, like fraction of a second or so. Lighting in this game can be very very weird. Sometimes it's great others it's like either everything is illuminated or not at all. Most of the time though it's fine.

Driving is so satisfying and the combat is still quite enjoyable. Mission structure is whatever. It's somewhat repetitive but the story and presentation are so great that I'm not really bothered by it. It's not like they force you to do tons of missions. So while they aren't the most unique they don't completely wear out their welcome. But who knows there is still a whole lot of game left.

painey

i understand the complaint but that's such a great thing. leave collectables for those that want them. don't lock people out of a 1000/1000 because of hilariously weird/stupid hidden collectables.

I could get behind that, even though they are very easy to find in comparison to other games, because of the ubisoft-like tower style junction boxes that list them directly on the world map.. but why not have them unlock stuff in-game?? that's baffling.

edit: im also a pathetic creature who - despite stating I wouldnt buy day 1 because they withheld review copies - gave in and bought the game today just because I got such a good deal.

hollomat

Banned
Played about 6 hours so far. Gameplay is so so, but the framing of the story and the songs for certain scenes really elevate it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Do you know what this game needs? Not a lethal/non-lethal setting in the options menu. This should've been something like press B for non-lethal, hold B for lethal takedown.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Do you know what this game needs? Not a lethal/non-lethal setting in the options menu. This should've been something like press B for non-lethal, hold B for lethal takedown.
Agree. It's kinda strange. They could've done it Deus Ex style.

Might have been answered already, but what does the initial download on PS4 allow you to do? Getting impatient, I want to play! Can imagine it's only the opening mission or something though?

Mik2121

Might have been answered already, but what does the initial download on PS4 allow you to do? Getting impatient, I want to play! Can imagine it's only the opening mission or something though?
You mean the Data to Start Application?
If so, it lets you stare at a download percentage icon...
Yeah, no first mission nor anything.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I was only gonna play for a couple of hours today, but I ended up sinking 8 hours into it. I like it a lot so far and I agree with everyone saying that the combat is satisfying and the driving is fun.

Rembrandt

Banned
I could get behind that, even though they are very easy to find in comparison to other games, because of the ubisoft-like tower style junction boxes that list them directly on the world map.. but why not have them unlock stuff in-game?? that's baffling.

edit: im also a pathetic creature who - despite stating I wouldnt buy day 1 because they withheld review copies - gave in and bought the game today just because I got such a good deal.

while i like that, i think it also ruins the point of collectables. it's something a lot of us hoped for that impacted design in a weird way. but i agree, it should definitely unlock in game stuff, just as a reward to those dedicated enough to spend time driving out to collect the shit.

PC or console? I stupidly missed out on gamestop's trade in deal so me trading in FO4 will barely dent this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sampled the game on PS4 - wasn't sure if I was playing Mafia 3 or Bloodborne. The frame pacing is so bad, it's hard to tell. The game would run at a fairly steady clip otherwise but the micro-stuttering is awful.

Sampled the game on PS4 - wasn't sure if I was playing Mafia 3 or Bloodborne. The frame pacing is so bad, it's hard to tell. The game would run at a fairly steady clip otherwise but the micro-stuttering is awful.

Will you guys have a DF article up on this game, like a face off? Perhaps you're waiting until the PC 60fps patch to drop.

Top Bottom