• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Not really enjoying the driving so far. I'll switch to simulation driving and see if that helps. I'm trying to take turns like in the previews and failing miserably.

I love the drifting. I'm getting so much nostalgia for Driver 1 whipping these 60s/70s era movie muscle cars around corners

hlzq3kX.gif

Also, bloopers:

EewOxGh.gif

RIP random woman

The storytelling in this game is absolutely top notch, not enough praise that I can throw on the way the story is told, the dialogue and how well realized these characters are, it's truly great. I just passed the "tutorial" so I can't really speak about the reptitive gameplay loop yet, but the gunplay is great and the simulation driving is also great fun. Graphically it's nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done.

What makes me really think though is that if they let this game cook a little bit longer and worked on the repetition it would have been something truly special. As it stands now for me it's great, but I don't know how I will feel after I start doing the same things over and over, I will say the motivation to do those tasks is pretty good though.

Drewfonse

I had a ton of plans tomorrow afternoon after I got some sleep from my 24 of 36 hour work schedule but I"m cancelling everything. I may even call in dead to my raid sunday night. This game has me hooked in a way that I haven't been since probably Mass Effect 3

Delicious.

Continue...

Mik2121

I love the drifting. I'm getting so much nostalgia for Driver 1 whipping these 60s/70s era movie muscle cars around corners

hlzq3kX.gif

Also, bloopers:

EewOxGh.gif

RIP random woman

That looks really neat.

BTW, how much of the city is interactive? Buildings you can get inside, etc...
I wanna buy this for the story, but I'm also quite interested in all the open world aspect.

Labrys

Game just crashed on me for the first time, about an hour in.
I'm running it on optimal right now with AA set to medium, I get the 30 fps with occasional dips while driving. I fit the minimum requirements but it might be time for me to upgrade.

Also, does anyone know what button changes the radio if using a 360 pad?

DirtyLarry

Even though I have this coming from GameFly as a rental I am super close to getting it digitally on the PS4 so I can play when my wife falls asleep tonight.
Have. To. Fight. The Urge.
Must. Be. Smart.

Actually just realized we are going into NYC tomorrow to see a matinee play so have to wake up early. Damn. Okay. That makes my choice much easier.

Hopefully it arrives tomorrow so I can check it out Sunday. That GIF in the OT of my man spraying the Klan is seriously all I need to see to know they are not fucking around at all. Truly love it.

Tovarisc

Can you
unlock all underboss favors for all underbosses without fucking one of them over
?

Edit: eh, I guess I balance it

Hip Hop

Does the Police system work similar to Mafia 2?

I have not come across a better system in an open world than what Mafia 2 did. You could actually get away by hiding and you would only alert others if they saw you commit a crime.

All I can say is games should warn you if there's a double install. This shit pisses me off. U go to play the game after the disc Install & the patch and u get another install! Same shit happened with fallout 4. If I had known beforehand I could've let it install while I was doing other shit. Well I won't be playing this tonight sadly

HiiiLife

Simulation driving, aim assist off, sensitivity up, difficulty raised is the only way to play. the story in this very good. Just got to Vito.

M.W.

All I can say is games should warn you if there's a double install. This shit pisses me off. U go to play the game after the disc Install & the patch and u get another install! Same shit happened with fallout 4. If I had known beforehand I could've let it install while I was doing other shit. Well I won't be playing this tonight sadly

Yeah. Plus the actual install takes close to an hour.

Rellik

Game just crashed on me for the first time, about an hour in.
I'm running it on optimal right now with AA set to medium, I get the 30 fps with occasional dips while driving. I fit the minimum requirements but it might be time for me to upgrade.

Also, does anyone know what button changes the radio if using a 360 pad?

Was it before the airboat mission? Most seem to crash there.

Right on the dpad changes the radio station. Holding right turns it off.

Does the Police system work similar to Mafia 2?

I have not come across a better system in an open world than what Mafia 2 did. You could actually get away by hiding and you would only alert others if they saw you commit a crime.

You can hide to escape and I find it much easier than driving away from cops in this game.

You can also stop a witness from phoning the police on you by choking them out when they see you do something bad and start running for the phone.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love how (close to the betrayal we all know happens)
they show Martin Luther King's funeral and Robert Kennedy's assassination. Pretty big Civil Rights icons.

Lebneney

Banned
I have a PS4 and a PC that more than meets the recommended requirements for the game.

I want to pick it up soon, and I really don't care too much about the 30fps fiasco (if it's not online or a fighting game, then whatever).

Which version should I get?

(probably going to use a controller for either no matter what)

Tainted

It looks like Public Transportation hasnt been implemented or it functions the same way as it did in Mafia 2 (ie If it is scripted to appear as part of a mission).

I stood on a streetcar track for about 20mins and didnt see one at all...also drove along a train track both ways for miles and no trains.

Are you sticking to the default driving option or did you change it to simulation driving as well?

Simulation.

BTW, how much of the city is interactive? Buildings you can get inside, etc...
I wanna buy this for the story, but I'm also quite interested in all the open world aspect.

There are a solid number of interiors and open warehouse locations you dip in and out of (or break into) frequently to receive missions, clear out enemies, destroy mob material, etc. Also small businesses, gas stations, clubs/bars, etc. that usually have a low risk collectable or health station in the back, and a cash register to steal from. Unfortunately they're not really "poke around" interiors, and the clubs/bars/stores really do cry out for some small eat/drink/chillout interactivity.

hbkdx12

Recently found out you can kick open doors rather than crowbaring them

My enjoyment and level of badassery just went up like 5 notches

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm running into that kind of shit just driving around. It's fucking annoying. I'm trying really hard to like the game because the story telling is absolutely fantastic, but all these little issues just keep popping up and bringing the experience down.

Alienfan

I have a PS4 and a PC that more than meets the recommended requirements for the game.

I want to pick it up soon, and I really don't care too much about the 30fps fiasco (if it's not online or a fighting game, then whatever).

I second this question ,I'm on Xbox and have a PC running a i7 & GTX 1070,all I want is a stable framerate. Under normal circumstances, I would obviously go with the PC version,but I heard it was busted?

lem0n

You sound just like me. I have XB1, PS4 and a very capable PC to choose from. Since I don't much care for achievements anymore and I can play all three on my big screen with a pad, PC is what I'm going when I do decide to purchase. Might as well get the best possible graphics if frame rate and achievements aren't a concern.

Rembrandt

Banned
shit, i don't wanna buy anything else this month, but i think i might go ahead and grab this. love the series and i was already interested in the story/setting so seeing so many people list it as a + has me wanting to dive in.

should i grab it now or wait a month or two and grab it on sale? i just bought RB6 so that could hold me over until then and my backlog is decent enough as is but ugh.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
shit, i don't wanna buy anything else this month, but i think i might go ahead and grab this. love the series and i was already interested in the story/setting so seeing so many people list it as a + has me wanting to dive in.

should i grab it now or wait a month or two and grab it on sale? i just bought RB6 so that could hold me over until then and my backlog is decent enough as is but ugh.
It's tough to say, because if you wait it out you risk having the story spoiled, and I can't overstate how incredible it's told, but at the same time, you can wait a few months until all these technical issues are sorted out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know shit about the plot, no spoilers please. The betrayal part, I mean.

Well, the betrayal that is the whole point of the plot. I'm not far ahead. They just showed good things to detail the setting with real life history.

JoeBoy101

I'm ready to beg Hanger 13 to fix this fucking game. Mainly because the combat is so satisfying and the story so next level, that it'd be a fucking sin to let it fester with the technical issues it has.

Plus, I haven't seen facial animation this good since Ryse. I mean, its downright eerie good.

JoeBoy101

I'm playing in 1440p but it feels like 800x600. The game is a huge blur and even the text seems te be rendering at an arbitrary resolution that is not 1440p.

What the heck?

Have you turned down the AA? AA at max uses, what other posters termed, a 'very aggressive' FXAA. With it turned to medium, or even low, it gets a LOT clearer, and the jaggies are very reasonable. If you're doing 1440p, even more so.

I'm ready to beg Hanger 13 to fix this fucking game. Mainly because the combat is so satisfying and the story so next level, that it'd be a fucking sin to let it fester with the technical issues it has.

Plus, I haven't seen facial animation this good since Ryse. I mean, its downright eerie good.

does the ps4 version have technical issues? Looking at picking this up tomorrow.

hollomat

Banned
I really do love the framing device for the narrative. It's rare you see a uniquely told story in videogames, but this is certainly something that has never been done before.

I think

JoeBoy101

does the ps4 version have technical issues? Looking at picking this up tomorrow.

Not sure. Overall, game seems pretty glitchy and needed more time in the oven. But, I'm not regretting it so far. We'll see with more time in, but its playable. And that's coming from me on the PC, and I despise 30fps.

I'm having trouble taking over one of the rackets. I killed the enforcers, then went to the location it marked on the map and killed everyone, but the waypoint icon is still on the front door of a building I already cleared out.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Truth

Yet I find I find both things to be incredibly entertaining and enjoyable

*shrug*
I like the combat a lot, it flows very well. Running with a shotgun in one hand and destroying people is very fun. I think if you want to enjoy this game, do not play stealthily.

Salarians

It's... mostly fine? I haven't run into any mechanical issues but I've seen a ton of visual bugs, mostly related the lighting and weather effects, as well as some serious clipping during takedown animations.

Bluecondor

The story is great, but the long gameplay demo has been a bit of a chore so far. I'm looking forward to the open world.....

TaKeRx

Hi guys I have a question. I preordered the game (deluxe) digitally on Xbox, but I see that I have the game and the kickback bonus installed. I do not see the season pass even though it says I own it... do you have have the season pass installed on your console?

Thanks

Rembrandt

Banned
It's tough to say, because if you wait it out you risk having the story spoiled, and I can't overstate how incredible it's told, but at the same time, you can wait a few months until all these technical issues are sorted out.

spoilers don't bother me much so i may wait and pick up before the year is over. I'll just some impressions until then. thanks!

hbkdx12

I like the combat a lot, it flows very well. Running with a shotgun in one hand and destroying people is very fun. I think if you want to enjoy this game, do not play stealthily.
For sure. I think you'll definitely get more bang for your buck by going in loud or some hybrid of guns blazing and stealth.

Personally I hate the two weapon limit as you'll be replacing weapons a lot if you're in a heated fire fight and although I haven't died yet, even on normal your health can get chewed up pretty quick if things get sticky. If you get hit with a shotgun you will definitely feel it.

Top Bottom