• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Mideon

Fairly mediocre so far except for the story scenes. Hate the fact you need to collect the parts to do the junction boxes makes me not bother with it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It feels worse than Bloodbourne
It has better motion blur but, yeah, it's not smooth at all. :-/

Disappointing.

The stutter happens at a completely set interval and even seems to impact video playback. I would think they could correct this but we'll see.

Fairly mediocre so far except for the story scenes. Hate the fact you need to collect the parts to do the junction boxes makes me not bother with it.

I don't know why they thought it'd be a good idea to make Ass Creed towers but worse. I would ignore them if they weren't mandatory to be able to recruit racket bosses.

It finally fully downloaded this evening, so I got to play for 3-4 hours.

This was one of my most anticipated games, and I'd been pining for it since finishing Mafia II, hoping it would be made. So, I had a lot of hopes for it.

At first, I felt a bit letdown, by the visuals, the gameplay and most things about it. However, it has gotten better as I've played it more.

I just finished
taking over the first racket -- the drugged female whores -- by taking out everyone involved, then its leader.
Now, I'm at the first wire tap.

I'm not sure of how far I am, but I'm enjoying it and look forward to playing it more tomorrow. The soundtrack is awesome.

It may not be the 9/10 I was hoping for, but it's a solid 7-7.5/10 so far and that's a pretty good score to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know what, thinking back, Mafia 2 was also notorious for frame pacing issues on the PC. This was before the likes of RTSS so it couldn't be corrected. The only workaround was to play in windowed mode (not borderless, as it wasn't an option). I was running a 5870 at the time and I believe this issue did not occur with Nvidia's cards and was never actually patched.

hbkdx12

One of my favorite past times has been going around to "no coloreds allowed" establishments, kicking down the back down and then roughing up the shopkeepers as they threaten to call the cops

So wrong yet so good

KyleCross

Gotta say, I'm definitely feeling like I should've listened to my gut about not picking this up. Have put about 4 hours into it so far and it has been a grind.

So is the "Are We Cool" optional weed mission supposed to just stop or what? I've already done it twice for progression, but it's still on my map so I went to check it out 4 different times and the boat isn't spawning.

SJRB

Gold Member
I suppose the cloud overcast shadow effect is working as intended, but it looks so freaking weird seeing shadows and light just phaze in and out existence.

The daytime lighting is so bizarre. I can't really put my finger on it though. And the day/nighttime transitions are hilarious, it's as if the skybox just fast-forwards through the sunrise in 10 seconds.

Bollocks

I like the game, however the menu is really unintuitive. It took me a google search to discover that when you go to options you can press right to display more options so I could finally turn up the brightness.

Adnor

Banned
A question about the lieutenants side missions.

About Anna's mission:
Is the contraband in the same district? is it moving or in a garage or something? I've searched and I can't find it.

Also spoilers about Mafia 2:
Anna basically confirms that Joe's dead :(

HiiiLife

Ok I can see how this can get repetitive. Destroy this, kill that, steal this, now you can do a mission to advance to the next racket. Repeat.

Eh.

So far the gameplay isn't clicking with me on the level other TPS games have. While the reactions enemies have to bullets that connect feel like they pack a punch, something about the aiming / shooting itself just doesn't feel right to me. And I tweaked everything I could. The story, atmosphere and characters alone are enough to keep me in, so, ima try and see it through.

madmackem

Man being a white English born man but having mixed race family members hearing the n word tossed about willy nilly is uncomfortable to put it mildly, however I'm happy hangar 13 had the balls to stick to thier guns and keep it in as a period piece I think it's only right we don't sugar coat the period and reality of the time.

Tried a few hours tonight, rented from Redbox. I think it's going to be too repetitive for me, but I still like it enough to pick it up once it hits 10-15 bucks.

That first "boss" tho.

Just some random dude in street clothes, and he ate more than 6 shots straight to the head and didn't go down. It's a little ridiculous.

hbkdx12

Tried a few hours tonight, rented from Redbox. I think it's going to be too repetitive for me, but I still like it enough to pick it up once it hits 10-15 bucks.

That first "boss" tho.

Just some random dude in street clothes, and he ate more than 6 shots straight to the head and didn't go down. It's a little ridiculous.

It's intentional.
The devs didn't want any fail states so key members like underbosses and what not can't be killed before you interrogate them.

Really enjoying my time with this so far. Sure there's a few technical issues here and there and the structure revolving around taking over rackets means things can get a little repetitive, but the storytelling, incredible city and fantastic soundtrack are elevating the whole experience to another level.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's intentional.
The devs didn't want any fail states so key members like underbosses and what not can't be killed before you interrogate them.

I think he means that the guy requires 6 shotgun blasts in the face before he goes down into his submission mode. His "health bar" is 10 times bigger than regular thugs.

ViciousDS

Banned
You know the doors that are locked that you have to crowbar to get into? Just walk up to them and hit circle. it only works on those doors that are locked. Linc won't kick in doors that he can just push open.

Wait.....I don't have to do that stupid mini game anymore?

Hoje0308

Banned
I've just finished the
Grecco mission with Vito
and, man, I can see myself getting sick of the formula that's defined the game thus far. Is the rest of the game like this (a series of same or similar tasks to take over a territory), or do the missions get a little more creative later on? Because that lack of variety when combined with the laughable AI, shoddy hit detection and poor performance is making me consider a trade before the weekend is out.

Adnor

Banned
I think he means that the guy requires 6 shotgun blasts in the face before he goes down into his submission mode. His "health bar" is 10 times bigger than regular thugs.

I just run to those guys and punch them in the face.

HiiiLife

This is def a rent. Happy I've spent a couple bucks at redbox instead of shelling out a full 60. It'll be enough to hold me over till Gears Monday night.

hbkdx12

Ah ok. I think i know who you mean

Wait.....I don't have to do that stupid mini game anymore?
nope. You only need it if you want to be stealthy. But if you do this in a building that has enemies, it'll alert them to your presence but if you plan on going in loud from the start, it's just badass to kick in the door and start spraying.

Djostikk

So the game turned out to be not that good? I haven't bought it, since I'm not in town. What do you suggest, guys? Wait for sale?

HiiiLife

So the game turned out to be not that good? I haven't bought it, since I'm not in town. What do you suggest, guys? Wait for sale?

Lot of people here like it. I think it's repetitive and worth a rent at the most. The story and characters really carry the game, but that's how Mafia has always been.

I already cleared out the Hollow and now I'm working on Burke's district...

Game is fun but simplistic. The stealth is pretty easy (Whistle, Stab, Subdue)

But I'm in for the storyline and presentation...

And those sweet sweet Playboys. Vintage.

Also the Shotgun you get in the Family Kickback is brutal. Absolute force and the blowback is just damn.

I've been using it for 90% of the rackets so far.

Mideon

I don't know why they thought it'd be a good idea to make Ass Creed towers but worse. I would ignore them if they weren't mandatory to be able to recruit racket bosses.
Yeah that's all I save my parts for to do the racket bosses. Other ones seem pointless. Makes no sense why you would need that to recruit either.

hbkdx12

If you're familiar with the gameplay and how everything works and you're on the fence i'd say wait for a sale. I get the impression that most people that really like the game, myself include, had some idea that it would be a game they'd enjoy

Putty

Well, i picked it up yesterday and have had an hour with it...So far, it's pretty good. It's no GTAV in terms of overall quality, but it's not bad. My only gripe so far is the frame pacing. It's pretty bad and something that defo detracts from the experience. I imagine if it could be fixed the experience would feel a whole heap better for most people...Technical issues like pop in isn't as bad and is something i can live with but yeah, i think a few extra months of polish would have helped a good deal...Still, a good number of plus points...

SJRB

Gold Member
Simple question, but can you actually change outfits and hairstyles and stuff?

I want that badass beard back asap.

#BeastModeLincoln

FB2vntm.gif

I have been avoiding reading anything about the game on a story / structure level but have a question about side missions: Do you have to do them to unlock main story missions? I am making an effort in open-world games to not get involved in every single thing on offer as it becomes repetitive so I want to trim things as best I can.

Djostikk

If you're familiar with the gameplay and how everything works and you're on the fence i'd say wait for a sale. I get the impression that most people that really like the game, myself include, had some idea that it would be a game they'd enjoy

I like that kind of gameplay, but yeah, I'm not sure I want to pay full price for it. Might just get BF1 in October.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Another + is that this is the best soundtrack for a open world game since Vice City

It's pretty atmospheric driving through Bayou Fantom during night time while listening to some good ol' Johnny Cash.

Edit:

Potomac GT is my favorite car so far. Driving feels very good with that car.

Nyx

About to take over my 3rd district and while I get people saying the missions and open world stuff are nothing groundbreaking, I'm still having a blast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll give it a crack eventually, but for those playing, how does this compare to Sleeping Dogs (my favourite GTA-like sandbox game), and The Godfather (a criminally* underappreciated sandbox game)?

*pun intended

hbkdx12

Been taking my time with the story as i'm been caught up on setting up
wiretaps and getting fuses (fuses, so many fuses)
i initially had my doubts about lincoln being able to pull of the "boss" vibe given he's dealing with lieutenants that are far more experienced in the crime world than he not to mention older but with one cutscene, all my doubts went out the window.. When linc puts his foot down and demands that attention and respect, it feels a lot more believable and natural than i would have thought. The acting, voice work and animation is just top notch

Simple question, but can you actually change outfits and hairstyles and stuff?

I want that badass beard back asap.
The devs have said they're patching it in later based on feedback they were receiving before release. I agree. The beard is badass and looks really good in the game

I have been avoiding reading anything about the game on a story / structure level but have a question about side missions: Do you have to do them to unlock main story missions? I am making an effort in open-world games to not get involved in every single thing on offer as it becomes repetitive so I want to trim things as best I can.
That's quite literally the whole game, no joke. It's do side missions to advance the story: The Game.

Does this play as a better thirdperson shooter than GTA or Watch Dogs or Sleeping Dogs? Like, speaking about gamefeel.

It's in the same time more clunky and punchy. It lack the gadgets of Watch Dogs and the martials arts of Sleeping Dogs, it's more classics but it feel way more brutal than those games.

The main issue in combat is that the IA is bad and predictable. The game is obviously undercooked. It's crazy to see that some aspect are top-tier polished and others feels like (a late) Early Access (the options, IA, bugs).

hbkdx12

I'll give it a crack eventually, but for those playing, how does this compare to Sleeping Dogs (my favourite GTA-like sandbox game), and The Godfather (a criminally* underappreciated sandbox game)?

*pun intended

Like Sleeping Dogs, there's a good story here where characters feel fleshed out and relateable. Very easy to be invested but Mafia III has much better presentation which aides in that investment. The gunplay in Mafia is far more grounded and weighty than anything in sleeping Dogs. Never played the first godather game but played the godfather two and the gameplay loop is pretty much lifted straight from there (take out rival operations to weaken their hold on the city while strengthening your empire)

Does this play as a better thirdperson shooter than GTA or Watch Dogs or Sleeping Dogs? Like, speaking about gamefeel.

I'd said it's like watch dogs but with more punch. There are a lot of great animations that make you feel great when controlling lincoln. I loathe the movement and feel of GTA and sleeping dogs is way to arcade for it to be similiar to the way Mafia III handles.

Top Bottom