• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

As someone who really isn't into open-world crime games, I was pretty excited to try this mainly due to the racial politics the devs claimed they were tackling. Should I still bother?

Yes.

The game has so far done a stellar job of depicting racism, racist attitudes from both sides and the in game effects of racism.

The shooting gunplay here is ridiculously good. So good in fact I'd feel pretty safe saying it's the best I've played in an open world game. Probably the most shocking thing about the game because I wasn't expecting much after how flaccid the gunplay felt in m2.

Agreed.

It's outrageously good second only to the story.

AllGamer

I like that reload

7yqQJlYLnK35u.gif

Now that I'm getting more accustomed to some of the jankier aspects, I'm starting to really enjoy the game more. Still of the opinion that the game could have used a short delay but there's a diamond in the rough.

Where's the cheapest place to pick this up on Steam? No sketchy sites allowed, wanna make sure my money is going to the right place

Rookhelm

Pause the game and use the RB button to switch tabs until you get to Options.

I thought so, but the ONLY selection I have on this screen is CONTROLS where I can change my buttons and keybinds and stuff.

Nothing else.

Edit: God, I'm a moron. Once you're in the Options menu, you can select left and right.

Jesus...

dreamfall

The shooting gunplay here is ridiculously good. So good in fact I'd feel pretty safe saying it's the best I've played in an open world game. Probably the most shocking thing about the game because I wasn't expecting much after how flaccid the gunplay felt in m2.

Amen to this. The gunplay in this game really shines, and I agree - the heaviness of each gun, the impact and feedback, all feel good. It's very enjoyable to mess up a stealth encounter and turn it into an all out shootout because the firefights are wild. As far as the TPS open genre goes, it feels like the best set of shooting mechanics across the board. It feels chunky and I like that. A lot.

Braag

The way enemies react to gunshots is pretty horrific at times. Shot a cop in the chest, he just walked backwards against a wall holding his chest and slowly fell down, then kept crying for help on the ground. Almost felt bad for the guy.
Reminds me a bit of GTAIV physics.

Arkanius

I'm playing in 1440p but it feels like 800x600. The game is a huge blur and even the text seems te be rendering at an arbitrary resolution that is not 1440p.

What the heck?

Amen to this. The gunplay in this game really shines, and I agree - the heaviness of each gun, the impact and feedback, all feel good. It's very enjoyable to mess up a stealth encounter and turn it into an all out shootout because the firefights are wild. As far as the TPS open genre goes, it feels like the best set of shooting mechanics across the board. It feels chunky and I like that. A lot.

Shotgun is a beast.

I just killed a dealer (he ran away) on the street...lmao...everyone freaked out. Needed to kill the witness but it was too late. The cops are brutal but I managed to get away by using the railroad, lol.
Love it.

Jarrod38

Rented the game from Redbox and got passed the bank heist mission and damn controlling that boat underground was brutal for me.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The writing is some of the best I've experienced so far. For all it's issues, the story isn't one of them.

Yes.

The game has so far done a stellar job of depicting racism, racist attitudes from both sides and the in game effects of racism.

The story is amazing and the devs handle race issues quite well.

Well then. Hopefully the complaints about repetitive missions won't detract from my playthrough. Thanks duders.

Oynox

game gets a piece of cake as soon as you get a silenced gun, playing on hard with no aim assist with no problem so far

Rented the game from Redbox and got passed the bank heist mission and damn controlling that boat underground was brutal for me.

I killed myself a few times by slamming into other boats. And then when I finally beat it I almost lost because the boat cacthed on fire. I wonder if they tested that sequence with hard mode and sim driving turned on because it was hard to maneuver that boat.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Have to agree with the gunplay feeling great, I don't mind any repetitiveness simply due to the core loop of combat being so fun. Shotguns especially are beastly blowing people back into walls and I highly recommend using some of the rifles too. I've been playing with headphones and the 'ping' of the stripper clips ejecting from the rifles after shooting all the rounds is amazingly satisfying.

Loving the story as well, brilliant performances and it's genuinely keeping me intrigued/hooked. I find the way it's told very absorbing personally. Just holding off for now until the PC version gets it's framerate patch hopefully this weekend but regardless I'm really enjoying the game itself so far.

Venom Fox

Banned
Wow after the shitshow of getting a star wars bluRay in the case. I'm finally playing and I've gotta admit that the story is looking good. Gunplay and car handling could be better but the story is hitting all the right notes!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
While waiting for Mafia III to be fixed I decided to replay Mafia II and I had forgotten just how brilliant it actually was, I haven't played it since release so I've pretty much forgotten the story, it's like I'm playing it for the first time again but with wicked déjà vu. It's amazing how well it holds up 6 years later which is a testament to just how well the devs did back then.

Rellik

While waiting for Mafia III to be fixed I decided to replay Mafia II and I had forgotten just how brilliant it actually was, I haven't played it since release so I've pretty much forgotten the story, it's like I'm playing it for the first time again but with wicked déjà vu. It's amazing how well it holds up 6 years later which is a testament to just how well the devs did back then.

Mafia II maxed out on PC still looks good. It's aged very well.

Wow after the shitshow of getting a star wars bluRay in the case. I'm finally playing and I've gotta admit that the story is looking good. Gunplay and car handling could be better but the story is hitting all the right notes!

Yeah, the characters are great. I just hope there's enough to do besides the main story. And I'm not talking about collectables.

Triteon

I liking it, it feels a bit rough and janky in the way a lot of last gen open world games felt, but the combat is fun and the world building interesting.

I don't know about anyone else but its specifically giving me Saboteur vibes.

Raptor

Oh man, oh man!!

hollomat

Banned
Just unlocked a rare achievement on Xbox one. The new animation is pretty cool.

Unlocked one good turn by doing a 180 degree turn without hitting anything.

Redlogic

You can tell pretty early on, if anything, the gun play is great. It makes doing the missions and random tasks so much more fun and visceral. Every open world game needs to do this. And have appropriate reactions to gun shots.

Raptor

You can tell pretty early on, if anything, the gun play is great. It makes doing the missions and random tasks so much more fun and visceral. Every open world game needs to do this. And have appropriate reactions to gun shots.

This is exactly why repetition is not something I care if the core gunplay/gameplay is fun.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, the initial installing is so damn long. I just want to play.

HiiiLife

Why the hell wont this pop up telling me to press menu forpbjectives disappear. It's been that way since the first prostitution mission.

Not really enjoying the driving so far. I'll switch to simulation driving and see if that helps. I'm trying to take turns like in the previews and failing miserably.

I had a ton of plans tomorrow afternoon after I got some sleep from my 24 of 36 hour work schedule but I"m cancelling everything. I may even call in dead to my raid sunday night. This game has me hooked in a way that I haven't been since probably Mass Effect 3

Top Bottom