• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

God damn I love this game, but I always knew I would anyway.

I still think the Lincoln 'hop' is one satisfying animation.

The hop he does after aiming and before sprinting.

200w.gif

OMG I thought it was just me! That animation feels so fucking good after doming someone and taking off.

Tovarisc

That should have said chasing not tailing. My bad

You want to stop him? Try ramming him from good angle [Q on PC] or shoot at his tires while hoping it doesn't make car flip and explode instantly :D

How do you get access to the Family Kickback Preorder DLC ingame? Do the vehicles spawn randomly?

They are available through car service that
>Burke<
gives once you get him into family.

I love Sleeping Dogs, but I'm not quite ready to compare it yet. The beauty of that game was how shooting, driving stunts, and melee blended together in the bigger missions in a way no other open world game has done quite as well, or even attempted really. Mafia 3 is a much more lean gameplay experience, where you do map clearing takeover activities that build up to bigger set-piece missions, but it's all built on third person shooting + light stealth mechanics.

And though Sleeping Dogs' story/characters were likable, Mafia 3's is much higher quality and touching on much heavier themes with a lot more nuanced performances.

SD was more polished at launch though :X

I'd say it's even with Watch_Dogs, though with a different combat focus. W_D is very fluid but sometimes feedback is a little light. Mafia isn't as smooth, though still highly responsive, but combat is more weighty and brutal. Sleeping Dogs has good melee combat, but shooting/cover is mushy and imprecise. GTA has no place in this discussion aside from having the most consistent physics/hit detection.

Good to know, might take a chance on this just based on that. Cause I just want to shotgun blast and stab racist fools and have it feel good.

mileS

Sampled the game on PS4 - wasn't sure if I was playing Mafia 3 or Bloodborne. The frame pacing is so bad, it's hard to tell. The game would run at a fairly steady clip otherwise but the micro-stuttering is awful.
Ya know It didn't even bother me that much in Bloodbourne. It's really really bad here.

Good to know, might take a chance on this just based on that. Cause I just want to shotgun blast and stab racist fools and have it feel good.

The combat is far beyond the expectation of a third person open world game.

It's very reminiscent of Bungie's 30 second of fun rule.

Wiseblood

OK, how the hell do I get the fuse underneath Father James' house/church? Is there a staircase to his basement I'm missing or is there some story beat that happens later where he lets me into his secret bunker or something?

Gbraga

The impressions about the game's structure confirmed all of my fears, unfortunately.

It's such a shame, this game couldn't be bad, it didn't deserve to be bad.

I'll still get it when it's cheaper, I guess. I care too much about the setting and story, but it's such a missed opportunity.

Great to know that the combat is fun, though.

Tovarisc

The impressions about the game's structure confirmed all of my fears, unfortunately.

It's such a shame, this game couldn't be bad, it didn't deserve to be bad.

I'll still get it when it's cheaper, I guess. I care too much about the setting and story, but it's such a missed opportunity.

Great to know that the combat is fun, though.

Bolded bit, wot? Those are Mafia 3's strongest parts easily. From world design to music track choices to cutscene execution to writing is hitting all right notes for game set in this time period.

heringer

Bolded bit, wot? Those are Mafia 3's strongest parts easily. From world design to music track choices to cutscene execution to writing is hitting all right notes for game set in this time period.

I think he means that he really wanted to play the game because of the story, but is put off by the gameplay issues.

FatalT

Banned
I just got all three associates, had a meeting, and unlocked a hell of a lot of new story missions to tackle in whatever order I want. I've been skipping ALL the optional missions because I rented this from Redbox but I've been playing it basically non-stop (aside from work and sleep) since I picked it up yesterday.

The stealth combat, gunplay, movement, and driving are all phenomenal. The repetitive gameplay loop, however, is utter shit. The main thing keeping me going is the amazing story. I'm LOVING the cutscenes. The game makes me think of the latest season of American Horror Story when it comes to those, where you carry out a mission and do gameplay things, then it cuts to a court room in the future where someone is being investigated. Super cool style.

EDIT: Also I'm playing on PS4 and have had ZERO bugs, glitches, crashes, framerate issues, slowdown, or anything. I hope you all on the Xbox One and PC get a patch or something because it's a really enjoyable game if you don't mind the repetition.

Nzyme32

I love Sleeping Dogs, but I'm not quite ready to compare it yet. The beauty of that game was how shooting, driving stunts, and melee blended together in the bigger missions in a way no other open world game has done quite as well, or even attempted really. Mafia 3 is a much more lean gameplay experience, where you do map clearing takeover activities that build up to bigger set-piece missions, but it's all built on third person shooting + light stealth mechanics.

And though Sleeping Dogs' story/characters were likable, Mafia 3's is much higher quality and touching on much heavier themes with a lot more nuanced performances.

SD was more polished at launch though :X

I'd say it's even with Watch_Dogs, though with a different combat focus. W_D is very fluid but sometimes feedback is a little light. Mafia isn't as smooth, though still highly responsive, but combat is more weighty and brutal. Sleeping Dogs has good melee combat, but shooting/cover is mushy and imprecise. GTA has no place in this discussion aside from having the most consistent physics/hit detection.

Yeah agree with all this. Mafia 3 has been really fantastic with that, but also I quite enjoy the simulation driving mode where you really get to see it in action with the better cars that have the right weighting and swing to do great slides and sharp turns while not awfully challenging.

Story stuff and gameplay is great, just a shame you'll see random bugs here and there, and obviously the 60fps patch can't come soon enough.

Tovarisc

I think he means that he really wanted to play the game because of the story, but is put off by the gameplay issues.

Ah. I guess my comprehension of read text sucks today. I can see how gameplay loop that is tied to story progression can be turn off for some, but because how well time period and story is executed it keeps me motivated to keep progressing. It does lose some of the momentum that prologue gives.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone else think some of the HUD elements on PS4 are far too small? I've had trouble making some of them out without squinting or having to move closer.

Yup, it's insanely small. Almost seems like a scaling issue or something.

Man, the lighting is so weird.

And as for enemy AI:

But I suppose you can sort of explain this because of them being hillbilly inbred rednecks.

I just got all three associates, had a meeting, and unlocked a hell of a lot of new story missions to tackle in whatever order I want. I've been skipping ALL the optional missions because I rented this from Redbox but I've been playing it basically non-stop (aside from work and sleep) since I picked it up yesterday.

The stealth combat, gunplay, movement, and driving are all phenomenal. The repetitive gameplay loop, however, is utter shit. The main thing keeping me going is the amazing story. I'm LOVING the cutscenes. The game makes me think of the latest season of American Horror Story when it comes to those, where you carry out a mission and do gameplay things, then it cuts to a court room in the future where someone is being investigated. Super cool style.

EDIT: Also I'm playing on PS4 and have had ZERO bugs, glitches, crashes, framerate issues, slowdown, or anything. I hope you all on the Xbox One and PC get a patch or something because it's a really enjoyable game if you don't mind the repetition.
So, I can feel comfortable getting the PS4 version now until PC version gets fixed? Does it look really nice? I'm wary of framerate, which is why I usually get the PC version.

Gbraga

Yeah, exactly. I wanted this to be a great game all around, and not just "a game with a great story". Been worried about it turning out like this ever since they showed the map at E3, but they kept saying that people who aren't so fond of that and liked Mafia II's structure didn't have to be worried. Which would be OK if it had billions of side crap to do, but still a strong linear missions structure you could follow and ignore the side stuff, but they actually made the gameplay loop consist of side activities, it's open world up to 11, even people who usually enjoy open world games might be turned off by this. I don't know what they were thinking.

If it was a short linear game, it's much easier to forgive flaws and keep pushing for the narrative if you're enjoying it, but being open world will certainly make it harder. As I said, I'll still try in the future, definitely didn't give up on this game, but yeah. A new Mafia game, tackling the themes they are, I was expecting to be all over it day one.

It is what it is, I guess. Kinda wish they saved this idea for a second game now, after they had the experience with working on their first :p

You can see by little touches like the incredibly well made contextual animations that they really cared, and they really wanted to make it great, but I guess they lacked experience. Or maybe development time? Who knows. Would love to read an extensive interview about some design decisions.

c0pium

Neo Member
Physical. Is that the difference?

Possibly. I think that when the game is downloaded from the store, it isn't the whole game and you have to download a ton more in-game. It was really frustrating since I downloaded it from the store overnight so it'd be ready to go when i got up.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So, I can feel comfortable getting the PS4 version now until PC version gets fixed? Does it look really nice? I'm wary of framerate, which is why I usually get the PC version.

So far I've had the PC version just quit on me twice randomly but apart from that I've been very lucky not seeing any bugs. Whilst waiting for the PC patch to unlock the framerate I'm using RTSS to stabilise the framepacing at 30fps as it doesn't feel as good without it.

Games great too, can't wait to kill some racist KKK fucks.

Man!

At night especially The Bayou Fantom area has already become one of my favourite areas in any game I've played.

Right up there with the beach strip in Vice City.

Driving at night to the Bayou with Johnny Cash on the radio = OMG

TheKeyPit

Banned
Man!

At night especially The Bayou Fantom area has already become one of my favourite areas in any game I've played.

Right up there with the beach strip in Vice City.

Driving at night to the Bayou with Johnny Cash on the radio = OMG

It's pretty atmospheric driving through Bayou Fantom during night time while listening to some good ol' Johnny Cash.

Edit:

Potomac GT is my favorite car so far. Driving feels very good with that car.

Oh yeah :)

Edit:
It isn't bugged. Boat and enemies will spawn when you can increase income of your rackets. If your current rackets for Haitians are maxed out then you don't get boat spawn.

There should be a mission info text stating that this mission can't be played if that's so.

psychotron

I found a redbox near me with a PS4 copy. I'll play a few hours tonight and see if it's purchase worthy. If so I'll go pick up my preorder tomorrow.

Tovarisc

There should be a mission info text stating that this mission can't be played if that's so.

There is. Game tells you to increase scope of your rackets in order to be able to increase income and unlock more perks. Not sure if it tells it you after you have clicked on it on map, but at least in Objectives it tells you.

Alienous

I'm playing on Normal but the AI sticks out like a sore thumb already.

I think it's super mediocre so far but I've only had a couple of prolonged gun fights. The AI seems to just indiscriminately move around and it's super easy to flank and they are slow to react.

The AI is terrible. One of the early missions has you
rescuing some ladies from a prostitution house
. I stab someone, a couple of people kind of react and run off while the others that were also near me didn't even bat an eyelash. A lot of it just feels so lifeless when compared to other open world games.

The gunplay has led to some awesome firefights even with some of the braindead AI because I find myself risking getting killed and going for brutal executions.

Stealthing rackets have been incredibly easy, in large part due to the dumb ai. The whistle ability makes for easy pickings.

I think the problem people have is that the AI doesn't appear to respond to sound cues (outside of weapon discharges and even that is hit and miss) - as long as something happens within visual range, their reaction is adequate but believability goes out the window when someone dies screaming next to an enemy but they stay stoic because their visual perception cone is turned in the other direction.

I think the AI needs a major tweaking, you just take cover and press B ( everyone of them took the same path ) :D

IIkSXXy.jpg

Man why didn't Take-Two just get some Rockstar devs to help out with the open-world stuff? This has worse AI than Saints Row 1 and is buggier too.

The AI is beyond stupid and the clipping is atrocious. I executed a guy and he was falling through a chair and the gun barrel was also sticking through the seating.

been watching Dan play it on Twitch. Looks really good for this type of game. Questionable AI of course, but the story and mo cap are quite solid.

Two problems so far: Repetitive side missions and the AI is fucking awful when you're playing stealthily. Just whistle and knife everybody.

Yep the AI is dumb as shit.

Can't speak for the repetitive part yet I'm only an hour in. But Jesus the AI is garbage.

I like the stealth in this game. Like the AI is real stupid, and they only respond to whistles one at a time, but it's still pretty satisfying

Because that lack of variety when combined with the laughable AI, shoddy hit detection and poor performance is making me consider a trade before the weekend is out.

No. Or if it does then Medium and Easy difficulty AI must be insanely stupid because on Hard it's stupid.

And as for enemy AI:

mafiaiii_201610081431zfq57.png

But I suppose you can sort of explain this because of them being hillbilly inbred rednecks.

God dammit Hangar 13.

Mission structure is insanely repetitive...just like Mad Max. But I don't mind repetitive gameplay as long as the gameplay itself is good. This is the case so far and I love it. Plus: you get a cool story with great cutscenes.

Yeah agree with all this. Mafia 3 has been really fantastic with that, but also I quite enjoy the simulation driving mode where you really get to see it in action with the better cars that have the right weighting and swing to do great slides and sharp turns while not awfully challenging.

Story stuff and gameplay is great, just a shame you'll see random bugs here and there, and obviously the 60fps patch can't come soon enough.

Is simulation driving on by default?

Played a few more hours late last night this morning. Fate did smile upon me with my second shift this morning being cancelled (working in live radio does have bonuses from time to time). I'm addicted to this game like the dirty heroine that the mob brought into new borduex!

Couple of observations. While the AI can shit the bed from time to time don't take them lightly. A guy with a shotgun can easily two shot you from.. A long way away if you don't have body armor on. Cops seem to take awhile to show up but good lord if they see you they will chase you to the ends of the earth and if you are driving a hoopty you are f'd

Matty8787

Had a shit load of cops on my tail and couldn't shake em so I led em to one of my safehouse style places and the guys inside took care of em.

Madness ensued, was fun.

Ted

Just finished the [long but satisfying] intro and am cruising around New Bordeaux looking for trouble. Enjoying it so far.

Things I like:

- Music - Totally my jam, fuck yeah.
- Story and voice work - Super slick, emotive and inolving so far.
- The small details that add to the world building - The ladies who snatch their handbags closer to them as you walk by in cutscenes; the affirmative action quips; the way the radio loses reception a little if you drive into a structure like the multi-storey car park. They all do so much to make you think about the era we are playing in.
- The not shying away from the issues of the day - which remain uncomfortably relevant half a century later.
- Lincoln Clay is a great character so far - The hard hitting intro and Lincoln Clay's own background finally give a semi-believable rationale for what I can only assume is going to be an ultra-violent journey through the game.
- The first trophy I got - it was for
feeding a body to a gator almost as soon as I was given control. I mean, when you have a dead body and a sign stating "feed the gators, two chickens 75c"
then hell, what ya gonna do apart from save 75c...

Things that aren't so hot.

- It's graphically sub-par from GTAV - it's not something that is killing any vibes I'm getting from the game but does make me rate the output of R* even higher. I guess unlimited time and a budget to die for go a long long way!
- The less than stellar performance when driving and looking around - it is a bit infuriating but I can get past it as I'm not so far getting much in the way of pop in though I am largely going pretty slow so far.
- The enemy AI when you are stealthing - it's pretty slow-witted but again it's not really spoiling my enjoyment so far.

Looking forward to sneaking in a little bit more today but annoyingly I have way too much to do.

Coffinhal

Checkpoints are a fucking nightmare because they're non-existent between objective. You're 10m from your objective after dealing 20min with the police in a mission ? Let's put a script when you're out of ammo that gets you killed in 5 secondes tops, and you're back 20 minutes before that point.

Game is unoptimized on PC. I'm getting barely 30fps on 3440x1440 with a 6700/1070 at max settings (excluding AA), and it looks like 900 upscaled. Looks way better in 6880x2880 but I get 10fps with that. Had a crash too, and lots of glitches.

I like how they used some of the lighting though, there are some really well made parts of the game where it isn't just the usual pseudo-realistic shit. But it's inconsistent.

I'm waiting until the patches.

Also not getting access to the open world after 1,5h of the game is stupid. Especially when you have 30minutes of cutscenes.

painey

The only real gripe I have with the gameplay, is that you start the game incredibly overpowered, and can't see how you get rewarded by progressing. Perhaps there are harder enemies later in the game, but with aim assist off and the super OP whistle, from the very beginning of the game Lincoln is basically unstoppable.

Top Bottom