• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

oimori

The highs and lows of Mafia 3:

It's nighttime so I walk into a bar to see if there's a drinking minigame or whatever. The owner tells me I'm not welcome here, and after that the game prompts me that certain stores don't want people of color visiting, and if I hang around too long an owner will call the police.
So I wait for a bit and the owner walks up to me, probably to talk shit or something. So I back out of the bar, but he keeps following me. I walk into the alley behind the bar, the guy still following me and then I turn around and press the takedown button. Lincoln grabs the guy by the throat and with one right hook knocks the life out of him. Like straight up, the guy is fucking dead. Drops like a sack of potatoes. That's what you get, I suppose.

Unfortunately an old lady saw me and wants to call the police. The game tells me that I'd better take down the witness before she gets a chance to call the cops. So eh, okay I guess I'll do that. So Lincoln, this 200-pound killing machine runs up to this old lady waggling her way to the nearest payphone and with one move just fucking dropkicks this 70-year-old lady to the ground. Other people spot me, one of them also decides to be a hero so I have to run up to this guy as well and choke him the fuck out.

All I wanted was a drink.

Nobel Prize in Literature.

Certinty

I think the comparisons with Mad Max are a bit off. Sure this is repetitive but at least the activities take place in a populated world filled with life and what not with several ways to go about them. In Mad Max it was just doing the same thing again and again in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway I'm loving the game, the 'true' main missions are awesome as is the gunplay, driving, story and open world.

If I'm honest my biggest issue with the game is the daytime lighting, but hopefully they can fix that or something.

Drewfonse

I'll be perfectly happy with a stellar story and mid tier gameplay. I always get fatigue in open world games because if the lack of a driving narrative.

And if the gameplay loop is similar to AC Syndicate? I'm fine with that. That's a good game.

SJRB

Gold Member
If you park up the driveway to deposit your money in the safe and come back out the game has rotated your car for you so you don't have to drive out backwards. Small but very cool detail.

Oynox

If you park up the driveway to deposit your money in the safe and come back out the game has rotated your car for you so you don't have to drive out backwards. Small but very cool detail.
The way the game handles my parked cars is destroying my immersion lol

That is how different
It is percieved

TheKeyPit

Banned
The quartet is complete.

No crashes on my Xbox so far.

When do I unlock a silenced pistol? Looks like I get one for completing a favor for Burke or Vito :/ I'm currently going 75% stealth and 25% guns blazing and I'd like to use my weapons more often, but I need a silenced gun :)

vypek

Overall I'm liking the game but the most annoying thing to me is police chases. I've had two and can't escape them at all. 2 to 3 tires are shot out and they either pull a pit maneuver or ram my car so badly that I launch into an obstacle and won't be able to accelerate fast enough to escape.

How are you supposed to escape? Reason I got into the chase was because I passed into an old police zone that activated like half an hour earlier.

Otherwise, enjoying being stealthy and barely firing any shots.

All I want to hear is that the patch is out and the game has no problems running above 30fps.

That's all I want and I'll pull the trigger.

Pls

Just finished the game I feel underwhelmed .
Wait, what? I didn't play previous Mafia games. How long is this one?

Looks like the second game was around 12 hours long?

Is there stuff to do beyond completing the main story?

Just seems crazy to me based on the average length of a GTA story mode, alongside all the other content.

Justified

Liking the game so far. One thing Im hating is the repeated lines by the enemies while they are searching for you. They need to adjust it, and add more lines for them to say

M.W.

Overall I'm liking the game but the most annoying thing to me is police chases. I've had two and can't escape them at all. 2 to 3 tires are shot out and they either pull a pit maneuver or ram my car so badly that I launch into an obstacle and won't be able to accelerate fast enough to escape.

How are you supposed to escape? Reason I got into the chase was because I passed into an old police zone that activated like half an hour earlier.

Otherwise, enjoying being stealthy and barely firing any shots.

Getting out of your car and running is easier

All I want to hear is that the patch is out and the game has no problems running above 30fps.

That's all I want and I'll pull the trigger.

Pls

Wait, what? I didn't play previous Mafia games. How long is this one?

Looks like the second game was around 12 hours long?

Is there stuff to do beyond completing the main story?

Just seems crazy to me based on the average length of a GTA story mode, alongside all the other content.
As for stuff to do for me there was not

What did you expect?
I expected more all missions felt like side missions

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Say your prayer on the way up'

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

brawly

I barely ever steal cars with drivers in them. It feels wrong.

Disagree. The car should be right where I left it.

Fun stuff so far.

Really laugh at the times when chairs are moving and flying around the room by them selves. Had to get a clip haha.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
My PS4 keeps crashing randomly when doing the optional missions. Most recently, I was going to pick up a boat to pick up drug drops and the boat didn't load in.

Hopefully if I come back to it I'll be able to do the mission at some point.

A friend gifted me this on steam. :O

Anyway, about 2-4 hours in and I love it.

Totally don't really get the complaints, haven't had any issues aside from one crash.

I feel like the gameplay I see for this game looks fun. The shooting looks heavy and brutal and I like the stealth components of the game. The driving looks average but the cinematics look great.

painey

so I just found out I can't 1000/1000 the game because I didn't know you had to kill all the Racket Bosses :/ I've been saving them. That's real shitty.

skynidas

Banned
so I just found out I can't 1000/1000 the game because I didn't know you had to kill all the Racket Bosses :/ I've been saving them. That's real shitty.

I think you have to play through the game twice because there's also an achievement/trophy for "Flipping 16 Racket Bosses". That's saving them right?

Game just crashed on me again. If it does this one more time in putting this in the freezer until the patch is out. And it looked like the sun was sitting right above Lincoln's head in the last cutscene I saw everything was searingly bright.

Edit: when I booted the game back up a cutscene started with Burke phasing through a door lol

Top Bottom