• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

I just can't believe how stupid the AI is.

Firing shots across the street at someone and there's just no reaction.

Beat up four people in a restaurant and set fire to bar.

The chef walks out and just walks past everything like nothing has happened.

And does the structure of the story missions not change at all?

Oynox

It is sad how Hangar 13 wanted to do a better open world over Mafia 2 but it is exactly the same if not worse. You can't do anything after you beat the game except collecting shit. Just started a new game to get the rest of the achievement. Let's see how fast I can get though doing nothing but killing everything.

Reule

To be honest I don't believe it matters from hearing what everyone said, the there's 3 endings and your only choice is at the very end, you can assign any district to whomever you'd like based on what they can offer you. I did the same thing you're doing, I completed Barclay Mills and gave it to Burke with Fresco Fields opening up, I still continued going to Tickfaw Harbor followed by Downtown.
Cool beans. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm sure I would've been fine but I just didn't want any cut scenes being out of order.

SomTervo

I just can't believe how stupid the AI is.

Firing shots across the street at someone and there's just no reaction.

Beat up four people in a restaurant and set fire to bar.

The chef walks out and just walks past everything like nothing has happened.

It's not a sandbox game. It's not a game where you can do what you want and the world will react to that.

This is a story-focused open world game. Lincoln would never do what you just did, so there's nothing in the gameworld programmed to react to it.

I've also had people run from gunfire, so that's a bit of an oddity. I guess the AI is buggy.

Check the weed plant purple symbol in the Bayou. All your side quests from the secondary characters will always be in the Bayou where the color/symbol is.

Same as the above if you haven't checked the Bayou yet. You need to progress the story if you already ran 2/2 of the side missions for Nikki then speak to her again.

To be honest I don't believe it matters from hearing what everyone said, the there's 3 endings and your only choice is at the very end, you can assign any district to whomever you'd like based on what they can offer you. I did the same thing you're doing, I completed Barclay Mills and gave it to Burke with Fresco Fields opening up, I still continued going to Tickfaw Harbor followed by Downtown.

Nah nothing. I am going to unlock each area and see if that helps. I've totally taken over the wiretaps for the hollow if that helps

I ended up accidently buying the season pass for this game. I hope it's good.

Basically I was due to buy the collectors edition and I told the woman I didn't want it anymore, and wanted the 'lesser version'. She sold me the season pass version. She told me the price was £50, but what she meant was that it was £50 after my deposit was subtracted. So until she handed it me I thought I was buying the regular version of the game.

I could have complained, but I love crime based stories and tend to enjoy open world games so I just shrugged it off. Either way, I think what Hangar 13 have planned looks exciting. Also, the free updates like costume changes should be really fun if they include some good ones.

SomTervo

I could have complained, but I love crime based stories and tend to enjoy open world games so I just shrugged it off. Either way, I think what Hangar 13 have planned looks exciting. Also, the free updates like costume changes should be really fun if they include some good ones.

This is certainly the best crime story in gaming since L.A. Noire (as much as I have reservations about that game). Enjoy!

The more I play it the less inclined I feel to play it the next time. It wouldn't be so bad if it came out a month ago where there wasn't really much released at the same time but with PSVR + games and other XBO and PS4 big releases coming I may end up trading this in sooner than later.

Nyx

Just 1 district to go.

Ready for it to end too, I love the actual story missions but the ones leading to them overstayed their welcome by now.

Feel like I've killed a thousand of these guys.

heringer

It's not a sandbox game. It's not a game where you can do what you want and the world will react to that.

This is a story-focused open world game. Lincoln would never do what you just did, so there's nothing in the gameworld programmed to react to it.

I've also had people run from gunfire, so that's a bit of an oddity. I guess the AI is buggy.

I'm sorry, but that's a really poor excuse. And I'm enjoying the game very much.

Though what he said is not my experience at all. But the AI is indeed very buggy because I've seem a video of someone pointing the gun and shooting at drivers and passengers of a car and they never reacted to it. In my game they pretty much react every time.

This is certainly the best crime story in gaming since L.A. Noire (as much as I have reservations about that game). Enjoy!

Yeah I mean I've already played 12 or so hours of the game and I'm already enjoying it. The narrative is great and as is the gameplay, the only thing that's a little off is the pacing but I'm glad they at least tried something new.

So many open world games offer no freedom in respect to how you do the missions and the order in which you do them in. When many of these games offer a choice between two missions it's always something of a novelty so it's nice to see that choice integrated significantly here.

Gunplay is good which I think GTA does quite poorly, so I'm enjoying it in that respect. The game reminds me of Ubisoft open world titles where they'res always a prerequisite to do something else (like climb a tower) before you can proceed with missions in that area. At least the racketeering missions are more enjoyable than climbing a tower, but it's still a disappointing way to structure a game. It would have been more interesting if those missions were more curated or unique.

There's also a lot of dialogue in the game that's just told while standing next to an NPC in a small room. It's a shame these NPCs don't partake in missions with you within that area, because they could tell their stories within car journeys and on missions. I think that would have made the racketeering missions more enjoyable.

Jb

Well that ending was pretty
weak :( Especially considering how memorable Mafia 1 & 2's were. Also after hours and hours of build up with pretty much nothing interesting going on story-wise I really hoped the final stretch of the game would have been less predictable. The JFK stuff was such a weird note to end it on.

Decent game, but probably my least favorite of the series. I do hope Hangar 13 gets another shot at the franchise. Maybe building all the tech for the game meant they didn't have the time and money to create more unique and varied content.

Fardeen

mafia 3 looks like crap on pc and runs like crap on pc, GTA V looked so much better and ran so much smoother, its sad and disappointing that after waiting 6 years for something like that

DJwest

Is the complaint about the game being repititive/boring valid? Say, if I dislike games like Assassin's Creed, but loved GTA 5, should I try this game? Never played Mafia 1 or 2 btw

Is the complaint about the game being repititive/boring valid? Say, if I dislike games like Assassin's Creed, but loved GTA 5, should I try this game? Never played Mafia 1 or 2 btw

Hard to say. Because I dislike AC but like this, but the structure of this is somewhat similar to Ubisoft open world games like Assassins Creed, where main missions are intersected by filler. It's not like GTA in that regard. You have to spend maybe 30 minutes in between major plot points to get things done.

It reminds me of Far Cry 3.

Jb

Hard to say. Because I dislike AC but like this, but the structure of this is somewhat similar to Ubisoft open world games like Assassins Creed, where main missions are intersected by filler. It's not like GTA in that regard. You have to spend maybe 30 minutes in between major plot points to get things done.

It reminds me of Far Cry 3.

Calling the missions where you take down the district bosses "major plot points" is pretty generous.
The plot doesn't actually progress beyond "Oh shit Lincoln is kicking our ass".

Tovarisc

It really depends on a person. I didn't find it boring even when gameplay loop repeats itself through whole game. To me snappiness of gameplay from driving to combat kept it engaging enough.

I have played 10h of GTAV and I just don't see appeal. Driving is shaky, combat is horrendous and story seems to be somewhere between C and B tier :/ I so want to like that game, but I just don't see why it's so great.

This game is so repetitive. The cut scenes are nice and the setting is awesome. I like it, but does anything change?
I just blew up the quary and escaped with the military looking truck.

SJRB

Gold Member

Well it is repetitive, but boring depends on yourself most of all. It's mostly busywork ["go here, kill this guy" and "go here, destroy that thing"], but I'm enjoying myself. But I can totally understand someone being bored of this style of mission structure.

The fun comes from the rewarding stealth gameplay, excellent gun combat and sweet atmosphere and music.

heringer

I was always interested in L.A Noire but never got around playing it. Is the story good, then? I'm a sucker for good crime stories too.

Filben

I was always interested in L.A Noire but never got around playing it. Is the story good, then? I'm a sucker for good crime stories too.
Yes, unfortunately it takes, for my taste, way too long to develop its story. You play and solve crimes that a very short stories by themselves but run together in the end. And that's what takes to long for it to create a dense and dramatic story-arc. But if you like crime short-stories that eventuelly run together, L.A. Noire is for you. But don't expect any fleshed-out gameplay-mechanics. It's very redundant.

d00d3n

Do you benefit from killing informants in any way? If you let them survive, obviously, you get more income later.

Does the "driving crazy in car" interrogation, which ends in them jumping out of the car, count as letting them survive btw?

Calling the missions where you take down the district bosses "major plot points" is pretty generous.
The plot doesn't actually progress beyond "Oh shit Lincoln is kicking our ass".

They provide a lot of exposition on the mafia lieutenants and their involvement in organised crime in new bordeux, and yes how Linloln takes them down.

I would consider them major plot points.

Jb

They provide a lot of exposition on the mafia lieutenants and their involvement in organised crime in new bordeux, and yes how Linloln takes them down.

I would consider them major plot points.

You're technically right in that its part of the plot. It's just a really boring and repetitive part of that plot.

You're technically right in that its part of the plot. It's just a really boring and repetitive part of that plot.

I didn't think so personally.

I mean I watch a lot of crime TV shows and such and really enjoy the action sequences and what they bring to the narrative as much as any twists and turns. The 'revenge' segments where the protagonists get to kill the bad guys are the sweetest moments of the show, and the narrative focuses on these segments in Mafia III.

vypek

Can anyone post what the haiti weed package guys actual mission points look like on the map. I don't know if it's bugged or just me being stupid.

Can't post any pictures at the moment but is Cassandra at her maximum earn at the moment? If so, the weed side mission cannot be done.

dreamfall

As a fan of Mafia 2, I can say easily that I love this game a lot more. The shooting and driving mechanics are really something special. I think it would've been best to actually have more story cutscenes along with variation of gameplay in mission structure- but I don't mind it. I think about how Assassin's Creed, GTA and other open world titles bookend similar mission structure with some good in-game cinematics, and it's surprising that even the simplicity of providing in-between scenes can create the illusion that the gameplay is different. And the visual and story presentation can usually break up the monotony or disguise this fact very well.

The core of Mafia III I love. It's also possibly the one game I really enjoy messing up stealth opportunities in purposefully to go full-on Rambo. I hope the DLC's offer more narrative custscenes, but I don't see how the mission structure will change. Most will associate this game with bloat, collect-athon, repetition - I kind of love it. I think really taking time to just explore New Bordeaux has left me feeling like this art team is on another level - it's a damn shame there were so many visual and technical performance fuckups, because it's beautiful. I wish clothing and car customization were included from the go, because it would've been nice to cruise around in the right colors in new clothes.

I like it. I think the writing for even the most mundane racket boss in between the grander district missions is great. Some of the exchanges between Lincoln and Emmanuel were really awesome.

Can anyone post what the haiti weed package guys actual mission points look like on the map. I don't know if it's bugged or just me being stupid.

I've noticed they don't show up unless you are zoomed in on the district it's in. For example you wont see the mission in the Bayou most of the time since it's on the bottom corner of the map.

..is that Lincoln's OG car? How do you get that back?

From Burke's car delivery associate, its the second car starting from the top.
how-to-get-car-back-mafia-3.jpg

Erevador

Planning to rent the game just to power through it, in light of the godawful reviews. How long will it take me to beat it and get more or less "the experience" if I play in a focused manner?

Budi

If Mafia 3 has taught me anything, it's that I should give more games a chance with subpar metascores. Still having fun and really into the story.

Fwiw, the car upgrades you buy only apply to lincoln's car. Visually, at least. Sure couldn't feel a difference with any of the others.

Top Bottom