• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Wiseblood

Jesus, if all the "steal thing and bring it back" side missions weren't bad enough, Burke's side missions want you to do it 3 times each!

Grimsen

Just started Vito's story missions after completing Burke, and the missions are getting fucking tedious. They're all the same. I like the cutscenes and all, but if I understand correctly, I have plenty more districts to go.

I'll see if it picks up, but I'm leaning towards selling this.

hbkdx12

Jesus, if all the "steal thing and bring it back" side missions weren't bad enough, Burke's side missions want you to do it 3 times each!

It is pretty bad but what im assuming is a glitch, the same car/vehicle has a tendency to respawn in the same spots.

For the one where you have to find the orange car, it kept respawning in the same spot in the same parking lot like 3 blocks from the junkyard.

HiiiLife

Juste started Vito's story missions after completing Burke, and the missions are getting fucking tedious. They're all the same. I like the cutscenes and all, but if I understand correctly, I have plenty more districts to go.

I'll see if it picks up, but I'm leaning towards selling this.

That's how it is the whole game.

Biff

Was I wildly off the mark on anything? lol
55 metacritic hype!

Game looks like hot garbage. I can't believe this is releasing in this state in two weeks.

• Animations are laughable.
  • Stealth is mind-bogglingly awful. Why even try to sell that as a gameplay option when it's so embarrassingly bad?
  • Instant health re-gen with "adrenaline". I'd rather have the strawberry jam mechanic tbh.
  • Generic half-assed cover shooter gunplay.
  • There were even floating square and cross PS4 icons on the right side of the car as he was driving. What the hell was that? Did they seriously include a bug in the demo footage? Reshoot that shit, lmao.
Run, don't walk, but run away from this $60 black hole.

Granjinha

The gunplay is one of the best in the genre. If not the best. So yeah, wildly off the mark there. Animations are far from laughable, too. Pretty good, actually.

Stealth is pretty functional, so again, wrong.

Wrong in pretty much everything, i guess?

FatalT

Banned
I posted this in the Reviews thread but I feel like it needs to have attention here as well because I haven't heard of any games doing anything like this before. I remember Resident Evil: Revelations 2 didn't allow screen recording during a cutscene at the end of the game but I've never seen anything like this.

Apparently 2K Games disabled the car radio music and cut-scene audio for uploaded videos and streams. I see some videos on YouTube where people have used Capture Cards or the PC version (which is broken right now I guess so good luck finishing the game to even see those cutscenes) to get the audio to work but from the consoles' proprietary streaming/recording, nada.

Kinda pissed about this because I have SO many videos I made of cutscenes.

vypek

I posted this in the Reviews thread but I feel like it needs to have attention here as well because I haven't heard of any games doing anything like this before. I remember Resident Evil: Revelations 2 didn't allow screen recording during a cutscene at the end of the game but I've never seen anything like this.

Apparently 2K Games disabled the car radio music and cut-scene audio for uploaded videos and streams. I see some videos on YouTube where people have used Capture Cards or the PC version (which is broken right now I guess so good luck finishing the game to even see those cutscenes) to get the audio to work but from the consoles' proprietary streaming/recording, nada.

Kinda pissed about this because I have SO many videos I made of cutscenes.

I assumed it was just this game cause of the radio but someone was telling me that this apparently happens with a lot of 2K games like their sports games as well. That kinda sucks that things get muted like that

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
These made me chuckle, happened last night.

7O8FMrc.jpg

bqiBFSm.jpg

CpsNCWG.jpg

mDGiSFF.jpg

FatalT

Banned
fast travel needs to be added...

i just stop playing because i got tired of driving around

Not gonna lie, the music in the game kept me wanting to drive around. I actually would get upset when a great song would start playing but I reached my destination. If there was some way to have the music playing ALL the time like certain story beats do, it'd be amazing. Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black" all day!

Get the handling, top speed, and acceleration upgrades for your vehicles. Also the bottom middle car is the best one because it's the fastest. I forget which District you have to clear to unlock it though. Kinda disappointed that there's only SIX vehicles you can call in but eh, whatever.

Tainted

Get the handling, top speed, and acceleration upgrades for your vehicles. Also the bottom middle car is the best one because it's the fastest. I forget which District you have to clear to unlock it though. Kinda disappointed that there's only SIX vehicles you can call in but eh, whatever.

You get more if you have that family kickback preorder DLC. The Lassiter Leopard is my go to car of choice

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
anyone think this game will get patched quite a bit so its more "playable", granted they cant fix the missions its more of a #dealwithit type of deal.

Mr. Tibbs

I'm about 14 hours in, and I've got the team together. I love New Bordeaux and Lincoln. They make quite the pair. The main missions have been fantastic, and the combat and story is great. The A.I.'s been fine for me. I'm really enjoying the game, but it feels like it could've used a bit more time in the oven. Hopefully 2k and Hangar 13 stay committed to adding features, because the main pillars are already great (so far, best setting and story of the series), it could just use more polish.

Unfortunately, I've encountered some pretty nasty bugs. The lighting especially seems to be borked. It looks great during night, but the day-time is really inconsistent. There was one cutscene before you take Burke on an aggressive car ride, where the characters looked like Silver Surfer in a white Kubrick set.

When taking over Pointe Verdun I ended up attacking the meat processing plant back-to-back with essentially the same objectives which lessened its impact. I, personally, think 10-15 hours for an open-world game would be fine. More people would like the game if one Racket in each Hideout group was more difficult but had all the "Damage" you needed to move to the next stage. Players that wanted to enjoy more of the District can do the smaller ones.

So it'd be something like...

** Dossier District unlock

** Contact for 1st Hideout racket
** go do 1 big racket or lots of little rackets
** Attack 1st Hideout Boss

** Contact for 2nd Hideout racket
** go do 1 big racket or lots of little rackets
** Attack 2nd Hideout Boss

** Attack District Boss -- STORY MISSION

For the smaller quests, it would probably work better if: you meet-face-to-face the first time, then they contact you on the radio from there on out. When you've done enough to meet the base-level damage, you either radio in to activate the bigger or mission, or continue to take down the remaining objectives.

I think not using the speed cap/traffic laws is a missed opportunity, as it could really reinforce the games themes. Police could be negligent or indifferent to how you drive in the poorer parts of town, but on your ass in the rich areas, pulling you over for minor traffic violations. It could complicate the tailing missions and bootlegging runs in a really fun emergent way. The tailing missions already show that the game can tell when you're running a red light or attracting honking. Some radio chatter from the lieutenants would be nice, too, like when your driving around.

I also wish there were universal rules for say door openings and climbing, or especially when I'm swimming, I wish I could just climb up the bank instead of finding a ladder. I tried to move a truck so I could sneak over a high fence, but Lincoln would climb on the roof of the cab, and I keep forgetting that you can only kick open locked doors, so I frequently end up ineffectively swiping at the door at times. I also wish I could cancel actions, like when I enter a car, but a pedestrian starts running towards a phone booth, it would feel so much better if I could cancel the animation.

One thing that would be nice would be to customize the UI and disable the tutorial pop-ups. I kind of don't understand the rear-view mirror - I thought it was going to highlight cool things behind you, but it kind of just functions as a low-poly version of my shift key. The road signs are a really clever detail. Love them! It would be cool to be able to cycle through your available missions without having to enter the menu.

I also wish with the Nicki and the others contraband missions, I wish they weren't placed at the top of the stairs of their various hide outs. The first time is fine because you're rewarded with a terrific cutscene, but afterwards it feels a little out of the way to reach them.

Maybe it's because they could be caught in a dynamic firefight? That happened to me last night, and it was awesome. I was returning a flatbed truck to Vito's and a hit crew jumped me just as I was about to enter the hide out. All the friendly AI immediately came to my defense which was awesome.

Most animations, especially Lincoln's, are really good. The stealth is pretty satisfying, though the enemy AI is disappointing. The health re-gen isn't 'instant', as it takes time to apply it so if you're still taking damage it won't immediately save you and relying on it will lead to death more often than not. The cover mechanic is pretty standard, but the gunplay in this game is the best of any open world game, miles ahead of GTA, Saints Row, and Watch Dogs. It's incredibly satisfying.

So, yeah, I'd say pretty off the mark tbh. This game is far from perfect, but you didn't really cover any of the actual reasons why in your super insightful impressions.

Majin Boo

Just finished the game. Story was nice, nothing special, but it was fun. The city was pretty good, as was the gameplay, and the soundtrack is outstanding, but that's no surprise.
The rest of the game was extremely disappointing. I don't even want to talk about the technical issues and glitches, the AI or the repetitive and boring mission structure and side quests.
What really bothers me is the lack of small features such as an icon that shows your car's position, quick travel, a way to replay missions, statistics (atleast for tracking trophy progress), traffic rules, gas stations/car washes, safehouses, interactive objects, customization, trains, side activities and all that other stuff that we've seen in many open world games (including Mafia 1 & 2). A lot of it might be unnecessary, but stuff like that either makes the game more enjoyable, or simply creates atmosphere.
Mafia 1 is still the most atmosperic open word experience in my opinion (RDR came close though), and even Mafia 2 had it's moments (winter). Mafia 3 has none of that, it really feels like a developer's first steps into open world territory, ignoring everything that could be learned from other games, including its own predecessors.

hbkdx12

These made me chuckle, happened last night.
Same exact thing happened to me. Had it happen with Burke as well which caused my game to be stuck in a black loading screen.
fast travel needs to be added...

i just stop playing because i got tired of driving around
as someone who did every single wiretap and got more fuses than I care to admit, the only time I really wished there was fast travel was during all the side missions that force you to go from the city, down to the deepest part of the bayou to steal some slow ass vehicle and drive it back to the city.

Her sister was alive after all, it seems.
she doesn't have a sister 0_o

Tainted

Im up to Vito's side mission "I Need a Favor" and the objective tells me to assign a district to him. I cant see any way to do this, nothing is showing on the map and I looked in the assets menu and nothing there either...

hbkdx12

Im up to Vito's side mission "I Need a Favor" and the objective tells me to assign a district to him. I cant see any way to do this, nothing is showing on the map and I looked in the assets menu and nothing there either...
You assign districts by advancing the story. All the side content is gated by how far into the story you and and how you assign districts.

Tainted

You assign districts by advancing the story. All the side content is gated by how far into the story you and and how you assign districts.

Thanks...I also did the corresponding side missions for Cassandra and Bourke, and it tells me to assign a district to them as well. The game does a bloody good job of explaining things at times ;)

SJRB

Gold Member
The suppressed handgun you get from Vito is so awesome, I'd recommend anyone to hand out the first district to Vito just so you unlock that bad boy.

That said, the fact that the game has ZERO customization options in terms of weapons [or pretty much anything] still blows my mind. I know it's gonna get patched in at some point, but in a way that is even more bizarre.

SomTervo

Yes.

That said, the fact that the game has ZERO customization options in terms of weapons [or pretty much anything] still blows my mind. I know it's gonna get patched in at some point, but in a way that is even more bizarre.

I actually have a lot of respect for this. Customisation is nice but in most games I think it adds up to a whole lot of design bloat. Like loads of options for the sake of it, and a lot of development time creating 'options' rather than making the actual gameplay as good as it could be.

Mr. Tibbs

I really love Barclay Mills - such a great view! I was attacking a toxic waste plant and just as a guy was about to take me out with a Molotov, I shot him with my massive magnum which set him on fire and set off the last garbage supply I had to destroy to unlock the next level of the racket. Soon after, I interrupted a weapons deal with just a single grenade, too. I was already driving away as the objective completed! :)

Amazing little details, too, like the music becoming fuzzy when driving in a tunnel or distorting briefly when you have an accident. I get a heavy Far Cry 2 vibe from this game (except with a great story!).

Is anyone having trouble uploading M3 footage to YouTube via their PS4's?

I was trying to u/l 30 seconds of the menu (I love the menu design!) but it just would not go through with it. It wouldn't even start. I then tried it via Twitter and that u/l first time. I also tried to u/l another game's footage to YT, and that got accepted first time as well.

Despite all the technical flaws I'm loving the game. It's perfect for small gaming sessions, just pick up, do some rackets and enjoy the great soundtrack.

Right so I've taken down the first racket in the
theme park
and unlocked the weed dealer. It says you can run mission packages for him but where the fuck are they and how do I do it. Still loving the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
I actually have a lot of respect for this. Customisation is nice but in most games I think it adds up to a whole lot of design bloat. Like loads of options for the sake of it, and a lot of development time creating 'options' rather than making the actual gameplay as good as it could be.

This is an interesting way of looking at things, I've never heard anyone say that character customization is "design bloat". There is no direct correlation between adding customization and decreased quality of gameplay, this game isn't made by three people. If every mission was a unique, thoroughly in-depth time consuming experience I might understand your point, but the large majority of the game's missions are the definition of copy-paste structuring.

Not to mention Lincoln actually wears different outfits for certain situations throughout the game. How much work can it possibly be to add a button prompt in every safehouse that lets you select outfits. Mafia 2 had quite a lot of different outfits, for example.

I know they announced those three dlc and also clothing customization, is there a release date for those?

I got this day 1 as I was super hyped and pre-ordered, but the early impressions sort of soured me a little so I haven't actually played this yet.Has there been any official word on a patch or anything? I think I want to wait a bit for a patch to fix some of the stuff before I dive in.

kipsta

I was secretly hoping this would be a spiritual successor to Scarface: the world is yours. Seeing early gameplay footage and how the devs talked about taking over districts/rackets etc.

It's not.

Vitor711

There's so much good stuff in here that's overshadowed by the technical mess that is the engine.

The audio though - the way that radios keep playing when you exit a car without turning it off, the distortion when driving in tunnels, the gunfire, that fucking soundtrack.

And the gunplay feels SO GOOD. But then you have terrible AI and a broken stealth mechanic (go to a corner, whistle, repeat, kill everyone).

Plus those opening 5 hours of missions were all incredibly well designed. But now I find myself doing cookie-cuter clear outs of warehouses with no more cool, linear, scripted environments to motivate me along.

If the location, story and characters weren't top-fucking-notch, I'd have given up. This game was released 6 months too soon and it's a damned shame.

SomTervo

This is an interesting way of looking at things, I've never heard anyone say that character customization is "design bloat". There is no direct correlation between adding customization and decreased quality of gameplay, this game isn't made by three people. If every mission was a unique, thoroughly in-depth time consuming experience I might understand your point, but the large majority of the game's missions are the definition of copy-paste structuring.

Not to mention Lincoln actually wears different outfits for certain situations throughout the game. How much work can it possibly be to add a button prompt in every safehouse that lets you select outfits. Mafia 2 had quite a lot of different outfits, for example.

Sorry man, I was referring to weapon and car customisation. I think it makes perfect sense to have weapon types for each task/need rather than customisation of every weapon.

I do think a degree of character customisation is a good thing, especially in very character-focused games.

Also I think you're underestimating how much work it takes to create content, even the seemingly cookie cutter missions. It's a lot. Every inch of the world is bespoke, remember. And as far as I've played, almost every location has unique dialogue, too. There's a lot to do.

Mik2121

There's so much good stuff in here that's overshadowed by the technical mess that is the engine.

The audio though - the way that radios keep playing when you exit a car without turning it off, the distortion when driving in tunnels, the gunfire, that fucking soundtrack.

And the gunplay feels SO GOOD. But then you have terrible AI and a broken stealth mechanic (go to a corner, whistle, repeat, kill everyone).

Plus those opening 5 hours of missions were all incredibly well designed. But now I find myself doing cookie-cuter clear outs of warehouses with no more cool, linear, scripted environments to motivate me along.

If the location, story and characters weren't top-fucking-notch, I'd have given up. This game was released 6 months too soon and it's a damned shame.

Agree with every single point. I'm stuck now on doing all these stupid clear outs and I just wanna get going with the story but can't. Areghfhghfhghhhhh

TheKeyPit

Banned
I just had my second crash on Xbox.

The car theft missions from Burke were buggy. Everytime I selected one of the car locations on the map and as a couple of seconds passed this car somehow exploded/got damaged there and I needed to select a new one from the map. Happened every time after delivering one of the cars.

No preferences but Emmanuel did comment that I made a poor choice giving Cassandra the trash district. I just wanted to keep all her territory sitting next to eachother but didn't think about how wrong it was to give black people the crappy district after I had just given Vito Downtown.

I like Vito and I gave him city parts and Cassandra got the countryside/swamps. The asshole Burke gets nothing!

In my experience they all bitch and moan when they don't their way. "Gimme dat! Oh, you didn't? Well you sux!"

Not always. If they're satisfied with what they already got. They go like "I understand. Maybe better luck next time"

There's a similar mission in Mafia 2 where
Vito and Joe make their way through a hotel disguised as window washers

They didn't need any damn codes. Where's that level of inventiveness here? Also, I'm sure that
Donovan, the guy who can find out information about any guy in the criminal underworld, could find out about some silly elevator code

All I'm saying is that there's several ways the mission could have taken place without needing to do all of the tedious busywork beforehand.

I mean that's true, but we could pull most video games apart if we're intending on being reductive. Uncharted 4 would be less than half as long if Nathan Drake knew how to use google.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All of the crime empire stuff and underboss assigning and all of that feels like it belongs to a different character and it was put in to try to give the game some extra illusion of depth it didn't need. Not once does it feel like it fits the Lincoln Clay character even with their scapegoat of him wanting to 'take everything away from him and left him suffer' to the primary antagonist. It felt like at most he should have talked to the other bosses to find out how the enemy made their money in that district, blown it the fuck up and moved onto the next district and let the vultures have the scraps. Lincoln having to appease members of the group while doing grunt work that's below him at this point just seems to contradict with his character. At the very least, they could have had a close friend/family of his do all that and ask Lincoln for help. It's not like most of these games where you see a character like Tommy Vercetti or Franklin who wants that glamorous life. Lincoln was prepared to go work on the docks and his only affection towards wealth has been his car.

When Ray makes the comment about 'just slap on some paint and hunt them down yourself' in retrospective, it made me think I would have enjoyed that more as a game.

so just wanted to ask before i sell it but, i'm on the missions for Nikki relating to moonshine and it tells me to talk to her, but its just standard "you're doing ok" dialogue.

i was really enjoying the game up till this point but i genuinely can't progress any further and my internet isn't good enough for me to tolerate reinstalling the game plus patches.

is there a quick fix for that or am i fucked?

so just wanted to ask before i sell it but, i'm on the missions for Nikki relating to moonshine and it tells me to talk to her, but its just standard "you're doing ok" dialogue.

i was really enjoying the game up till this point but i genuinely can't progress any further and my internet isn't good enough for me to tolerate reinstalling the game plus patches.

Is that a side mission?

Sometimes you can't progress side missions until you progress in the story.

All of the crime empire stuff and underboss assigning and all of that feels like it belongs to a different character and it was put in to try to give the game some extra illusion of depth it didn't need. Not once does it feel like it fits the Lincoln Clay character even with their scapegoat of him wanting to 'take everything away from him and left him suffer' to the primary antagonist. It felt like at most he should have talked to the other bosses to find out how the enemy made their money in that district, blown it the fuck up and moved onto the next district and let the vultures have the scraps. Lincoln having to appease members of the group while doing grunt work that's below him at this point just seems to contradict with his character. At the very least, they could have had a close friend/family of his do all that and ask Lincoln for help. It's not like most of these games where you see a character like Tommy Vercetti or Franklin who wants that glamorous life. Lincoln was prepared to go work on the docks and his only affection towards wealth has been his car.

When Ray makes the comment about 'just slap on some paint and hunt them down yourself' in retrospective, it made me think I would have enjoyed that more as a game.

Nah I feel that it makes sense. Lincoln isn't naive to gang culture it seems like before he was in the military he was helping his family out with all manner of shady shit. They need to take over the terroritories to ensure that the gangs he's pushing out don't regain a foothold. I didn't find that hard to believe myself.

Ultimately terroritory expansion is just a means to an end for him, so he's not motivated in the same way that a character like Vito would be in Mafia 2, but it still makes sense within context.

Reule

Does this seem like a good way to advance the story?

I had the first sit down and had three
Donovan
story missions pop up. Started a couple of the favors then did one of the story missions. Gave the district to Vito. Still had those two remaining story missions but now have a new one to do as well. I'm thinking I should go work on the two previous story missions first before starting the new one. Good idea? Does it even matter?

Not even sure how to divide the districts up without pissing them off. Everyone seemed fine when I gave it to Vito because I had already given him the rackets in that district prior. I'm assuming they get upset if you take rackets you assigned to them away or give districts too often to one person.

Right so I've taken down the first racket in the
theme park
and unlocked the weed dealer. It says you can run mission packages for him but where the fuck are they and how do I do it. Still loving the game.

Check the weed plant purple symbol in the Bayou. All your side quests from the secondary characters will always be in the Bayou where the color/symbol is.

Same as the above if you haven't checked the Bayou yet. You need to progress the story if you already ran 2/2 of the side missions for Nikki then speak to her again.

Does this seem like a good way to advance the story?

I had the first sit down and had three
Donovan
story missions pop up. Started a couple of the favors then did one of the story missions. Gave the district to Vito. Still had those two remaining story missions but now have a new one to do as well. I'm thinking I should go work on the two previous story missions first before starting the new one. Good idea? Does it even matter?

Not even sure how to divide the districts up without pissing them off. Everyone seemed fine when I gave it to Vito because I had already given him the rackets in that district prior. I'm assuming they get upset if you take rackets you assigned to them away or give districts too often to one person.

To be honest I don't believe it matters from hearing what everyone said, the there's 3 endings and your only choice is at the very end, you can assign any district to whomever you'd like based on what they can offer you. I did the same thing you're doing, I completed Barclay Mills and gave it to Burke with Fresco Fields opening up, I still continued going to Tickfaw Harbor followed by Downtown.

heringer

He is not after a glamorous life, he says a few times he needs the money because going after Marcano "won't be cheap".

I don't see any contradiction in his actions, to be honest. Perhaps it's a little jarring because he doesn't quite fit into any stereotypical mobster class.

Top Bottom