• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

DukeBobby

I like how the police can't hit a barn door from three feet away, yet they can shoot your tires out as you're speeding away at 100mph.

Fwiw, the car upgrades you buy only apply to lincoln's car. Visually, at least. Sure couldn't feel a difference with any of the others.

Really? I haven't looked because I drive the Berkley Stallion, but I know the speed and handling upgrade has applied to this vehicle, so I imagine they'll apply to all kickback vehicles+ Lincoln's car?

Segaswirl

Just finished the game on X1. I really enjoyed it, probably crashed on me at least 10 times though.

At the end
I chose to "take the throne" and "rule together" when I got to see my underbosses. Overall I put 20-30 hours into it, I wasn't going to just walk away!

FatalT

Banned
Well that ending was pretty
weak :( Especially considering how memorable Mafia 1 & 2's were. Also after hours and hours of build up with pretty much nothing interesting going on story-wise I really hoped the final stretch of the game would have been less predictable. The JFK stuff was such a weird note to end it on.

Decent game, but probably my least favorite of the series. I do hope Hangar 13 gets another shot at the franchise. Maybe building all the tech for the game meant they didn't have the time and money to create more unique and varied content.

Uh, you know there are
three endings
right? Go do it again.

Just finished the game on X1. I really enjoyed it, probably crashed on me at least 10 times though.

At the end
I chose to "take the throne" and "rule together" when I got to see my underbosses. Overall I put 20-30 hours into it, I wasn't going to just walk away!

Awwwww, well that kinda sucks for you though. That's the one that doesn't let you go back and see the others. Do you have a cloud save?

Segaswirl

Awwwww, well that kinda sucks for you though. That's the one that doesn't let you go back and see the others. Do you have a cloud save?

That's a bit shitty but I really wouldn't mind playing through the game again. I'll maybe wait until it's patched up a bit first though.

I didn't get anything extra for playing it on hard with no aim assist, just a warning to anyone out there starting it for the first time. Don't be a hero, you won't miss anything by playing on a lower difficulty lol

vypek

How do I know that?

Zoom into the part of the map where Cassandra has her first district (the hollows, I believe). One of the purple icons (purple background with black image layed in) will have a ratio there when you hover over it. If you see something like 50,000 / 50,000 earn then you can not do the weed mission. Sorry I don't have a photo of the map offhand.

hbkdx12

I didn't get anything extra for playing it on hard with no aim assist, just a warning to anyone out there starting it for the first time. Don't be a hero, you won't miss anything by playing on a lower difficulty lol

Every time i start up a game, i always look at the trophy list for this exact reason lol. To be fair though, i don't think i ever seen an open world game with unlocks for playing on difficulties. Even if it's just achievement/trophies. I'm actually surprised this game has trophies that require two playthroughs

There really needs to be more types of missions besides go here and kill this guy. There was so much potential for this setting and location. The music and loading screens take the cake so far.

brawly

After my little meltdown yesterday I decided to go back and finish it. Gotta admit, the ending
that I got
was pretty dope. Would and will never play it again though.

FatalT

Banned
They went completely overboard with the wiretapping (Ubisoft towers) in this game. One per district would have been enough.

Don't even bother with wiretapping. One of the associates has a perk that allows you to see all the enemies in the X-ray vision mode and on the minimap without actually having spotted them. I forget who it was though. UNLESS you're going for all the collectibles, in which case, uh, good luck with that.

vypek

Don't even bother with wiretapping. One of the associates has a perk that allows you to see all the enemies in the X-ray vision mode and on the minimap without actually having spotted them. I forget who it was though. UNLESS you're going for all the collectibles, in which case, uh, good luck with that.

The thing is that the collectibles have no value within the game themselves so players might as well skip them anyways. I only wiretap so I can recruit people in my current playthrough.

I'm enjoying the game but had they put in more mission variance, this could have been such a better game. I'm surprised that they didn't realize this in play-testing that there is way too much repetition of the same stuff. Go here and kill this guy or go here and still this vehicle.

Traversing the bayou really sucks and its annoying to go do a mission out there and have the game crash and have to start going back there again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The collectibles have no value but I'm really enjoying the Playboy magazines. Don't judge me! I am but a simple man ;)

There are some great interviews scanned in as well such as with Stanley Kubrick, I never realised Playboy did such extensive interviews

SJRB

Gold Member
Why do I have to go and meet Donovan everytime? One of the first things he gives me is a radio, for fucks sake.

I wish Donovan would just randomly radio in every once in a while for some banter or something, that guy is a legend.

vypek

Why do I have to go and meet Donovan everytime? One of the first things he gives me is a radio, for fucks sake.

I wish Donovan would just randomly radio in every once in a while for some banter or something, that guy is a legend.

And why do I need to drive to people to pick up my cash? They work for ME. lol. Deliver that to my safe. But thats just a small problem for now

peakish

Your lieutenant sidekicks all seem like interesting people but the game has done little with them so far for me. I like the Haitian and that he hasn't forgotten that Lincoln killed dozens of his friends. Things are usually so forgive and forget in games.

The pacing is a lot worse after the opening hours but since I stopped binging the game I've been enjoying it more. I like where the main story is heading with Marcano's motivations, it's a nice contrast to Lincoln. The biggest issue for me still is the inconsistent lighting. On PC the game largely looks fine and luckily I haven't seen anything close to some of the glitchy console screens other's have posted in the thread. But the lightning switches between being too damn dark at night and sometimes indoors, with the brightness adjustment doing little to help me (it's always barely visible, damnit!), and the sun blinding you as you're driving. Ew.

kobu

The underboss mechanic doesn't makes no logical sense. Cassandra is already in charge of both rackets in the district so I just give the district to her at the next sit down.
Then Vito turns on me even though I gave him control of the district at the last sit down. How the fuck is this supposed to work?

Tohsaka

I think this Cassandra sidequest glitched on me.
I was driving the truck back for it and I got jumped by Santangelo, who destroyed it, which screwed up the mission. I killed him and completed that mission, now there's no option to re-start Cassandra's sidequest, it just says to talk to her, with a check mark next to it.

vypek

The underboss mechanic doesn't makes no logical sense. Cassandra is already in charge of both rackets in the district so I just give the district to her at the next sit down.
Then Vito turns on me even though I gave him control of the district at the last sit down. How the fuck is this supposed to work?

This has me worried. I don't want under bosses to turn on me and plan to just go Cassandra, Burke. Vito for my districts.

Oh wait, were you doing Vito's missions when they were available?

Erevador

The collectibles have no value but I'm really enjoying the Playboy magazines. Don't judge me! I am but a simple man ;)

There are some great interviews scanned in as well such as with Stanley Kubrick, I never realised Playboy did such extensive interviews
You collect them for the articles!

SomTervo

There really needs to be more types of missions besides go here and kill this guy. There was so much potential for this setting and location. The music and loading screens take the cake so far.

Just tonight I had "chase this guy down", "scare the shit out of your passenger " (drive dangerously), "collect items with a boat", "be a truck driver". Also had an opportunity "tail this guy without him seeing you " that was mechanically brilliant and a huge assault by a hit squad which turned into a massive Street battle with guys I called in.

All of them were awesome. I'm seeing lots of variation.

Sometimes it feels like I'm playing a different game from everyone else.

Certinty

The more I play this the more I wonder how the fuck they messed up the missions so badly. The 'actual' main missions are great, every mission needed to be like that not like the repetitive side missions we got for most. Who's idea was this?

Saying that I think this is a great foundation for Hangar 13 to build off for the future. I fully expect the DLC to vary things up. Then it will be a great game because the open world, story, gunplay and driving are all top notch. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed driving around in a game like this due to the mechanics.

Lender

giphy.gif

I love how brutal the game can be when you shoot someone right in the kisser. The facial animations are 'amazing' as well when you do this.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
giphy.gif

I love how brutal the game can be when you shoot someone right in the kisser. The facial animations are 'amazing' as well when you do this.

Wonder why the blood which shoots out from their heads fades like mist rather than spatter the ground around/behind them. That's a lot of blood which just disappears.

SomTervo

Wonder why the blood which shoots out from their heads fades like mist rather than spatter the ground around/behind them. That's a lot of blood which just disappears.

I think it's about having immediate effect from your shot where you aimed. The impact of shooting in the game is prioritised over the context/details surrounding each shot. It's weird when you think about it but in the moment and in practice I think it's great.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

Legit. Great interviews and boobs. I call that a win.
That was very Grand Nagus of me

I don't know why, but I love the gunfights in this game. Probably cause I just love running around with an M14 and engaging in battle pretending I'm black Punisher.

A lot of the criticisms about this game are super valid, but I'm still enjoying it. It's competent enough where it counts and the narrative is really good.

Plus... I love the playboys and Vargas paintings, haha.

Question: Where do I get those cars from the pre-order DLC that came with the game? I have the weapons, not the cars.

Tainted

Question: Where do I get those cars from the pre-order DLC that came with the game? I have the weapons, not the cars.

They should show up in the car delivery menu...you have to get to a certain point in the game before that service becomes available to you though. You select it from the radial menu like you do for the weapon truck and then choose the car you want delivered. The Berkeley Stallion is freaking awesome

Vic_Viper

Doing a mission for Vito where we had to go get this guy that he wanted to kill. He's in the trunk of the car and we're supposed to go to Vito's house but there's no way point and nothing on the map to set as one. Where do I go?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished and really satisfied with the ending that I got

ENDING SPOILERS

I decided to leave town and then it said how Cassandra took over but noone took her claim seriously and various folks like the columbians etc came gunning for her. So she killed a lot of folks and then the governor withdrew money from the various city services like maintenance, bin collection etc letting it slowly rot and she then shot the governor in the head. The national guard was then called it. Essentially the whole city was left to rot at the end by the looks of it

Lincoln meanwhile went off to California, met a girl but split up with her and went travelling to various places sending postcards to Father James whilst the FBI fella obssessed with the case is waiting for him to slip up someday so he can get him

Gonna take a look at the other endings but I'm very satisfied with how that turned out

Overall I absolutely loved the shit out of it to be honest. Despite the various issues it has (indeed the repetitiveness and technical issues being the main points) the core game is so strong I had a blast for the entire time I played it. I can completely understand people getting fed up with it or bored, it just hit the right notes for me personally.

I'll probably play through it again once they patch/clean it up a bit and I'm looking forward to the DLC they'll be releasing next year, they sound like they could be interesting.

They should show up in the car delivery menu...you have to get to a certain point in the game before that service becomes available to you though. You select it from the radial menu like you do for the weapon truck and then choose the car you want delivered. The Berkeley Stallion is freaking awesome

Thanks!

I'm gonna play the hell out of the racing when they patch it in. The driving in this game is funner than all the other games of its like by miles.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna play the hell out of the racing when they patch it in. The driving in this game is funner than all the other games of its like by miles.

I'm gonna admit, I absolutely love the arcade/normal driving more than the simulation option in this as I know that's what a lot of people here are using. Just wasn't a fan of the simulation driving tbh.

Top Bottom