• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

RetroMG

Page 6. I've given up all pretense of taking notes. I'll be here until tomorrow if I do. (Although it will help pass the time until Phantom Pain comes out.)

RetroMG

He's on 100 posts per page so he's in crazy town already.

Launchpad just got his parental permission slip signed (which actually clued me in to something else, but that's another story,) I read some of this yesterday during my few minutes of down time, so I'm generally aware of where we are. Just trying to get specific arguments.

cabot

Your read is good, I think cabbeh is purposely trying to play as safe as possible so that he can stick around as long as possible.

You play it very safe.

Hold that thought, gentlemen.

I considered doing this since the PM and seeing what I was, but I'm deciding to role claim right now.

I am the Call Of Duty Kid.

kid.jpg

I'm a filthy dew chugging obese monster that deems everything around nintendo as for babies. Yeah well, except you know, Smash brothers. Mario Kart is also pretty good, I guess. Maybe I got really fucking drunk and maybe enjoyed Animal Crossing a little. Pokemon trading cards are pretty good. Screw it, I'm lining up for this piece of shit box.

Since D1 claims are such a popular thing on GAF, I hear you asking your monitor 'But for why, cabbeh?' well let me tell you why, chump.

My role is town aligned, and my only difference is the fact that I will show as NFA if investigated. This role is known as a Miller role in standard mafia circles. I hate CzarTim for what he has done to me.

Having no idea how to possibly play this, I looked at some strategies on wikis and forums. There were three possible methods.

1. Insta-claim the role from the off, and hope to God some champions trust you.
2. Claim at the end of D1, to facilitate discussion and again hope to God some champions trust you.
3. Don't claim at all, play quietly, effectively and avoid suspicion and (hopefully) an investigative read.

After reviewing the strategies, I thought I'd attempt option 3 first, because well, it seems the most safest option. Safe.

As pointed out yesterday and today, I don't play safe, effective and secure very well. I've been restrained in posting because I'm trying not to leave a scent for the cop to pick up. The absolute worst situation would be being investigated N1, the cop then claiming his role D2 and throwing me under the lynch bus, to discover that it was actually an innocent townie murdered and now he's either got to have forever doctor protection, or he's done if there is indeed no doctor.

The proof lies in the pudding. Rather, the proof lies in the semi-fluff posts I made at the very beginning of the thread, and one further commenting on how I'm sure theres a cop role, because obviously my role points to this (I have read that Millers have been used in games without Cops as red herrings, and CzarTim sucks, so this is possible.

maxresdefault.jpg

This were the posts I refer to, where I tried to pick up the specific mantra of one of em CoD boyz:

Hey fellow drones!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm hilarious.

Nintendo don't have that type of humour in their 'games'. Unless you count your online Infrastructure as an unintentional comedy masterpiece.

Screw you guys I brought my dew, my doreetz. I'm going to plant myself in this queue and buy at least two NXes, one for me, one for pawning off on eBay when they inevitably go byebye in the supply line.

I've StreetPassed my Mii, NumberWang. Let's get this show on the road.

I'm glad that the big back of the box feature was the Unprecedented Partnerships 2.0

With Rockstar, EA, Activision-Blizzard and Deep Silver all on board, I finally think we have the MATURE console nintendo needs to win the console wars.

I've pre ordered the Deep Silver Totally Classy Bikini Clad NX Edition, and by god I'll enjoy it.

I WILL ENJOY IT

Classic nintendo gamer, needing to be told the basics.

Why dont you use the super guide for pooping, loser.

>:O

I'll pwn you, n00blet!!

And here was me bringing up the investigator thing:

I have a good feeling that there is an investigator.

Call it woman's intuition.

Then mock it because it's one hell of a sausage fest.

You guys were right, I was playing safe. I was playing to try and fade reasonably into the background but not completely to get people chasing me. Turns out that's not an enjoyable thing for me. With Kark really consuming D1, I also thought this would help keep things a bit more lively and fresh, as well as covering the Cop. If he does investigate me, then fair enough. Kind of pointless though, because if I returned townie, this would be a pretty retarded gambit. Confirming my investigation claim either proves I'm telling the truth or I'm mafia.

I guess the rest is with you, friends. You either trust this claim or you send me to the other store, where I can get an NX for about 1.5x face value, and I'll be one annoyed little hardcore gamer.

All I know is that I'm out in the open, and I'm ready for whatever comes next.

tumblr_nefqhenfRu1td37pto1_500.gif

cabot

THINGS TO NOTE:

I was surprised at the lack of questioning on some of my posts from this morning, and I think last night as well. I was very loose with the idea that I had a role of some kind and I was intentionally being vague for reasons

Blarg picked it up impressively, so good job there. Everyone else was so consumed by Kark/Launch/Bat that it seemed to completely go over your heads.

Make what you will of that

Sorian

Banned
Launchpad just got his parental permission slip signed (which actually clued me in to something else, but that's another story,) I read some of this yesterday during my few minutes of down time, so I'm generally aware of where we are. Just trying to get specific arguments.

The bolded is interesting, I hope you'll enlighten me on this one soon since I assume it would have to be something about Launch or me.

Hold that thought, gentlemen.

I considered doing this since the PM and seeing what I was, but I'm deciding to role claim right now.

I am the Call Of Duty Kid.

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/insertcoin/files/2013/05/kid.jpg[/MG]

I'm a filthy dew chugging obese monster that deems everything around nintendo as for babies. Yeah well, except you know, Smash brothers. Mario Kart is also pretty good, I guess. Maybe I got really fucking drunk and maybe enjoyed Animal Crossing a little. Pokemon trading cards are pretty good. Screw it, I'm lining up for this piece of shit box.

Since D1 claims are such a popular thing on GAF, I hear you asking your monitor 'But for why, cabbeh?' well let me tell you why, chump.

My role is town aligned, and my only difference is the fact that I will show as NFA if investigated. This role is known as a Miller role in standard mafia circles. I hate CzarTim for what he has done to me.

Having no idea how to possibly play this, I looked at some strategies on wikis and forums. There were three possible methods.

1. Insta-claim the role from the off, and hope to God some champions trust you.
2. Claim at the end of D1, to facilitate discussion and again hope to God some champions trust you.
3. Don't claim at all, play quietly, effectively and avoid suspicion and (hopefully) an investigative read.

After reviewing the strategies, I thought I'd attempt option 3 first, because well, it seems the most safest option. Safe.

As pointed out yesterday and today, I don't play safe, effective and secure very well. I've been restrained in posting because I'm trying not to leave a scent for the cop to pick up. The absolute worst situation would be being investigated N1, the cop then claiming his role D2 and throwing me under the lynch bus, to discover that it was actually an innocent townie murdered and now he's either got to have forever doctor protection, or he's done if there is indeed no doctor.

The proof lies in the pudding. Rather, the proof lies in the semi-fluff posts I made at the very beginning of the thread, and one further commenting on how I'm sure theres a cop role, because obviously my role points to this (I have read that Millers have been used in games without Cops as red herrings, and CzarTim sucks, so this is possible.

[IMG]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/VEX8mNU36Tk/maxresdefault.jpg[/IG]

This were the posts I refer to, where I tried to pick up the specific mantra of one of em CoD boyz:

And here was me bringing up the investigator thing:

You guys were right, I was playing safe. I was playing to try and fade reasonably into the background but not completely to get people chasing me. Turns out that's not an enjoyable thing for me. With Kark really consuming D1, I also thought this would help keep things a bit more lively and fresh, as well as covering the Cop. If he does investigate me, then fair enough. Kind of pointless though, because if I returned townie, this would be a pretty retarded gambit. Confirming my investigation claim either proves I'm telling the truth or I'm mafia.

I guess the rest is with you, friends. You either trust this claim or you send me to the other store, where I can get an NX for about 1.5x face value, and I'll be one annoyed little hardcore gamer.

All I know is that I'm out in the open, and I'm ready for whatever comes next.

[IMG]https://33.media.tumblr.com/2489f65af87971cbadc4ee1a1920b021/tumblr_nefqhenfRu1td37pto1_500.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

If there is an investigator then I want them to investigate you. Obviously they can't report on what they find right away but I actually don't believe this claim at all. My post was actually hitting right at what my gut thinks on you. I think you're a neutral player and one of your win conditions is to survive until the end of the game, you might have another condition that lets you win earlier though. I don't think you are dangerous because of that though and I feel like we have other fish to fry than deal with a neutral today.

[quote="Fireblend, post: 177059231"]I certainly didn't expect this statement to turn out to be so prophetic so quick.[/QUOTE]

I've played with you all enough to know that the storyline of day 1 wouldn't be decided straight from the start.

Ourobolus

Banned
THINGS TO NOTE:

I was surprised at the lack of questioning on some of my posts from this morning, and I think last night as well. I was very loose with the idea that I had a role of some kind and I was intentionally being vague for reasons

Blarg picked it up impressively, so good job there. Everyone else was so consumed by Kark/Launch/Bat that it seemed to completely go over your heads.

Make what you will of that

I noted that you mentioned some sort of investigative role, but nothing more than that, other than you were passively being PASSIVE :p

RetroMG

The bolded is interesting, I hope you'll enlighten me on this one soon since I assume it would have to be something about Launch or me.

It's not. I'm going to keep it close to my chest for the moment. Mostly because I don't want to throw it out before I have more info. It is the very definition of a hunch. But I think it relates to Kark, Salva, and/or possibly Cabbeh.

Karkador

Banned
If this is to be believed, then I suppose we have some issues.

First of all, it's likely we have a alignment investigator (like a Seer, or whatever the Mafia term for it is). I can't see this role being here as a red herring if cabbeh is Town. It would be completely pointless.

This also might imply that there's a Godfather, who appears to be Fun-Aligned.

cabot

If there is an investigator then I want them to investigate you. Obviously they can't report on what they find right away but I actually don't believe this claim at all. My post was actually hitting right at what my gut thinks on you. I think you're a neutral player and one of your win conditions is to survive until the end of the game, you might have another condition that lets you win earlier though. I don't think you are dangerous because of that though and I feel like we have other fish to fry than deal with a neutral today.

Well that's your birthright isn't it, to be given the ability to believe or deny something.

Congratulations, your birth was worthwhile.

If the cop can't make himself known, and you want him to confirm this, how exactly does that help? Blarg, sounds like something you'd be good at. Hope you're the cop so you can confirm my claim then deliver it to the group in an incredibly difficult way.

batsnacks

neogaf not letting me post still :(

@cabbeh - claiming miller asap is generally a good thing to do. You're confirmed town to me for now.

@Sorian probably Kark. I have a feeling he's about to vote me because kynching Blarg won't work and then I'm going to omgus him and my tenacity will prevail in the end! If this doesn't happen and Kark wows me with his scum reads that aren't me I might go for the sheeping-est inactive I can find on that list I posted.

@Lone_Prodigal - hey! You would vote me for voting someone and explaining my vote reasonably? That sucks for me because I can't respond to that.

@Retro - this is actually way slower and calmer than what I'm used to elsewhere.

RetroMG

It's not. I'm going to keep it close to my chest for the moment. Mostly because I don't want to throw it out before I have more info. It is the very definition of a hunch. But I think it relates to Kark, Salva, and/or possibly Cabbeh.

By this, I obviously mean that it's not about Sorian or Launchpad.

Karkador

Banned
Also, I don't see the point in the investigator looking at cabbeh at night. If he's telling the truth, he shows up as NFA. If he's scum, he shows up as NFA. What's there to gain from that?

Sorian

Banned

Huh. *goes back for some research*

If this is to be believed, then I suppose we have some issues.

First of all, it's likely we have a alignment investigator (like a Seer, or whatever the Mafia term for it is). I can't see this role being here as a red herring if cabbeh is Town. It would be completely pointless.

This also might imply that there's a Godfather, who appears to be Fun-Aligned.

Yes, if his role claim is true then the rest of what you said is 100% true as well. There would be no point to the role otherwise. I should actually rephrase. A godfather type role isn't a 100% given but it's fair to assume it.

Sorian

Banned

-----------

Well that's your birthright isn't it, to be given the ability to believe or deny something.

Congratulations, your birth was worthwhile.

If the cop can't make himself known, and you want him to confirm this, how exactly does that help? Blarg, sounds like something you'd be good at. Hope you're the cop so you can confirm my claim then deliver it to the group in an incredibly difficult way.

The cop will probably have to role claim at some point down the line assuming they don't get randomly picked off, they can hold their info tight until then.

Also, I don't see the point in the investigator looking at cabbeh at night. If he's telling the truth, he shows up as NFA. If he's scum, he shows up as NFA. What's there to gain from that?

As I said, I actually think he will show up third party assuming an alignment cop.

cabot

I'll just reiterate that I claimed now for two.five reasons.

1. I clearly wasn't playing very well beforehand. People were picking up on it, obviously making me a viable cop target. The cop would then go for me and possibly give up his secrecy for a town lynch. I made this claim to spare the cop. I don't think Sorian's solution is helpful. It's either lynch or trust.
2. Kark truly was consuming everything. This at least gives some options on voting with conviction.
.5 The obvious role claim climax (with added worrying children photos)

Karkador

Banned
Huh. *goes back for some research*

Yes, if his role claim is true then the rest of what you said is 100% true as well. There would be no point to the role otherwise. I should actually rephrase. A godfather type role isn't a 100% given but it's fair to assume it.

You're right in that if we buy this role claim too much, we'll assume there are two roles that aren't actually there.

Now...this seems rather opportune, but if you guys want a lynch candidate to give you a lot of information, the opportunity has just presented itself.

Not sure what to think about cabbeh's role claim. Sure he was playing safe, but almost everyone else is. I guess claiming now gives it more credibility than later when he's under some pressure.

Sorian who are you leaning towards in terms of voting?

cabot

As I said, I actually think he will show up third party assuming an alignment cop.

If I did, that would:

1. Bring the cop out as I've lied, because if he revealed this there's no way he would just keep quiet about it, it's an active contradiction.
2. What win condition do you think I have? I was having some suspicion on me, but claiming D1 is still ridiculous as a concept. I did it because it was looking a reasonable assumption that I could be investigated tonight. Which again, exposes the cop. He'd have to reveal to get me killed.

Sorian

Banned
Not sure what to think about cabbeh's role claim. Sure he was playing safe, but almost everyone else is. I guess claiming now gives it more credibility than later when he's under some pressure.

Sorian who are you leaning towards in terms of voting?

As the weasel I quoted below just mentioned:

You're right in that if we buy this role claim too much, we'll assume there are two roles that aren't actually there.

Now...this seems rather opportune, but if you guys want a lynch candidate to give you a lot of information, the opportunity has just presented itself.

Killing cabbeh probably would give us the most information for the day. If he is actually a miller then that guarantees one other role and hints at a second. My issue with that is that the role it guarantees is a town-aligned cop and maybe I don't want the mafia to know for sure that we have one.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, I suppose I can give some quick reads from my end. Why not.

1. cabbeh [m] - Probably a miller. There's not a whole lot of reason to claim Miller unless you actually have it or are scum. I'll leave it alone for now, but I think we may have to revisit this later.
2. TheGoddamn [m] - Hasn't really posted enough for me to get a good read.
3. roytheone [m] - Finally perked up today. Has been critical of both Kark and batsnacks. Probably Town.
4. Darryl [-] - His posts have been well-reasoned so far, even if we disagree. Probably Town.
5. Sorian [m] - Same as Darryl, but as usual is posting like his fingers are on fire. Probably Town.
6. batsnacks [m] - Jumped on the Kark bandwagon and has given pretty lousy reasons against the whole Launch/batsnacks/Kark association. Probably Scum.
7. Fireblend [m] - Finally posted a bit today, nothing really out of the ordinary. Critical of both Kark and batsnacks. Unsure.
8. Karkador [m] - Ridiculous gambit on Day 1, but I believe he did it to draw out people looking for an easy target. Unsure, but leaning Town.
9. Burbeting [m] - Posted a bit early on, but other than that, unsure.
10. SalvaPot [m] - Same as Burbeting.
11. Ourobolus [m] - Drop dead sexy and the towniest town that ever towned.
12. LaunchpadMcQ [m] - Went a bit nuts going after Kark, but has presented relatively well-reasoned arguments as to why. Probably Town.
13. Lone_Prodigy [m] - Has posted only once or twice since the game started. Critical of Kark, but finds batsnacks more suspicious. Unsure.
14. Blargonaut [m] - Surprisingly docile this game. Unsure.
15. RetroMG [m] - Tiling is a total scum tell.
Unsure.

breh role claim

v3g3TDI.gif

Rewind to my post, #757, about cabbeh:

You hate me?

iazaK8B.jpg

You're not even on the firing line, yet you're scrambling to cover your butt. What you so afraid of, brah? You wanna step?

You admit to preferring to take a backseat, you reaffirm you're keeping up with the thread when you so obviously have been AND you promise us some whack percentage fluff/tease pre-loaded swag when no one even directly asked you for it? I'm tired of cover-shooters like you. You seem to focus a lot on "chatty" people; IT'S DAY 1, you saying you like the noise, or don't you? Which one is it? Quality over quantity, breh.

Are you asking me to read instead of lead, is that it, bro? Why are you preparing for me? What you got in your old posts that's so relevant? Are you mocking me? What's with the promises? Why don't you deliver now? What's stopping you, huh, cabbeh?

What, scared to be an actually legit conversation piece?

I see your vote is on me, you actually gonna follow through with that and lock it in, or are you actually gonna pick a side with your Soup of the Day? You like surfing?

1. bro taunts, internet tough guy
  2. reference to shooters
  3. and I titled that post, "GOOD MORNING, CAMPERS"
and then cabbeh reveals his role as a COD kid

gdj9x1b.gif
OiPhAeo.gif

I'M LEARNING TO HARNESS THE WILD MAGIC, SORIAN

I don't believe your KDR claim, cabbeh, you're using the loadout I pre-set for you, I'm considering unlocking my vote now

Karkador

Banned
Killing cabbeh probably would give us the most information for the day. If he is actually a miller then that guarantees one other role and hints at a second. My issue with that is that the role it guarantees is a town-aligned cop and maybe I don't want the mafia to know for sure that we have one.

Flashing back to our conversation earlier about "footholds", though, Town knowing there's one out there is a boon to them, too.

Sorian

Banned
If I did, that would:

1. Bring the cop out as I've lied, because if he revealed this there's no way he would just keep quiet about it, it's an active contradiction.
2. What win condition do you think I have? I was having some suspicion on me, but claiming D1 is still ridiculous as a concept. I did it because it was looking a reasonable assumption that I could be investigated tonight. Which again, exposes the cop. He'd have to reveal to get me killed.

The cop doesn't need to announce the first contradiction he runs into. It's ok to play safe for a bit and collect info over multiple nights before revealing a big hand.

Wonder what makes you think this so (seemingly) fervently. Is it really only that Cabbeh was playing passively and avoiding confrontation?

His play style gave me a hunch that he was playing to survive as long as possible (Survivor role is a common third party role with the sole purpose of being alive at the end of the game, sometimes they are given a harder object to complete as well that would allow them to win earlier). Right after I made mention of it, his next post was a long and detailed role claim, as if to shake off the thought that I brought up. I just don't buy it.

cabot

113.gif

cabot

His play style gave me a hunch that he was playing to survive as long as possible (Survivor role is a common third party role with the sole purpose of being alive at the end of the game, sometimes they are given a harder object to complete as well that would allow them to win earlier). Right after I made mention of it, his next post was a long and detailed role claim, as if to shake off the thought that I brought up. I just don't buy it.

So apparently I've went from a toothless motherfucker to the most ballsiest bastard alive by your thinking.

If this was third party survivor play, it would be tremendously bold. What the hell am I?

Sorian

Banned
v3g3TDI.gif

Rewind to my post, #757, about cabbeh:

1. bro taunts, internet tough guy
  2. reference to shooters
  3. and I titled that post, "GOOD MORNING, CAMPERS"
and then cabbeh reveals his role as a COD kid

gdj9x1b.gif
OiPhAeo.gif

I'M LEARNING TO HARNESS THE WILD MAGIC, SORIAN

I don't believe your KDR claim, cabbeh, you're using the loadout I pre-set for you, I'm considering unlocking my vote now

This is why we keep Blarg around. Read everything he says, he's telling the future through pure dumb luck.

Flashing back to our conversation earlier about "footholds", though, Town knowing there's one out there is a boon to them, too.

Is it a boon to them though? I don't want to know if there is an alignment cop out there right now. They should just be doing work each night, it's up to them to reveal their hand once they have as much data as possible.

Sorian

Banned
So apparently I've went from a toothless motherfucker to the most ballsiest bastard alive by your thinking.

If this was third party survivor play, it would be tremendously bold. What the hell am I?

A ballsy bastard is my guess. If people accept you as a miller, who is going to kill you anytime soon? Town won't because that is just lynching town, it's a waste of time. Scum won't because you are providing doubt to town as long as you live. It's not a bad play from my angle.

RetroMG

Okay, here's what I think after carefully reading half the thread and speed-reading the other half.

Batsnacks: Is clearly an experienced player, but is waaaay too eager to jump on Kark. I really don't like it. Verdict: Suspicious

Blargonaut: Geat hair, cool shoes, just a fun-loving girl looking for a unicorn to call her own! Verdict: Banana

Burbeting: I don't have a solid read on Burbeting, but what I've seen lines up with my own thoughts. Verdict: Neutral, leaning Town

Cabbeh: I actually read you as an investigator during my readthrough, but your new roleclaim lines up. Verdict: Town

Darryl: Darryl is Darryl. He's abrasive, rude, and harder than War and Peace to read, but for now, I think he's on our side. Verdict: Town

Fireblend: Has been pretty quiet, but then, so have I. Verdict: Neutral

Karkador: Oh god, where do I start? I don't think Kark is scum. I disagree with him in principle, but his gambit was really, really bizarre. That being said, I don't think lynching him is a good idea. Verdict: Suspicious, but I ultimately think he's Town

LaunchpadMcQ: I spent half the thread thinking that either Launchpad or Karkador had to be mafia, but I don't think that's true. I think Launch is a good guy who is barking up the wrong tree with Kark. But that doesn't change the fact that he's been acting weird, too. Verdict: Suspicious, but ultimately I think Town

Lone_Prodigy: Too quiet. Will watch. Verdict: Neutral

Ourobolus: I agree with a bunch of the stuff Ouro has said. Verdict: Town

RetroMG: Man, why can't this guy ever post? It's like he had obligations all weekend. He'd better pick it up or I'm going to have to go ham on him. Verdict: Probably an HHA Gossip. We have those, right?

RoytheOne: I know Roy has posted, but I have no notes and no memories of what he's said. Verdict: Need to go back and re-read his posts

SalvaPot: Pretty sure he's town, and I think possibly a PR. Verdict: Town

Sorian: Aggressively seeking the truth. One of these days he's going to do it as Mafia, and everyone will fall for it. Verdict: Probably Town, but always worth watching.

TheGoddamn: Not enough information. Try back later. Verdict: ?????

Vote: Batsnacks

Something about the way you've been playing rubs me the wrong way. You are very quick to point and to jump on accusations, but it doesn't feel like an investigation - it feels like a witch running a witch-hunt.

cabot

A ballsy bastard is my guess. If people accept you as a miller, who is going to kill you anytime soon? Town won't because that is just lynching town, it's a waste of time. Scum won't because you are providing doubt to town as long as you live. It's not a bad play from my angle.

I could die tonight or a little down the line. I definitely think being given a Miller role and claiming will mean I won't be around till the end, and only the value of my contributions will keep me round on a day-to-day basis. Sure, Mafia most likely won't touch me now since I'll be a constant juicy source of suspicion, but I do think I will be lynched, the question is how long ?

batsnacks

Ouroborus I need you to tell me which/what about my reasons was lousy to respond to what you're trying to say about me. You can't just blanket-discredit everything I said about 3 different people... Well, you can but it wouldn't be very nice of you

...nah

just nah, brah

UNVOTE: LaunchpadMcQ

VOTE: cabbeh

Locking this in as my new final vote, unless someone else chooses to role claim after I generate their character build for them

but don't think that I don't got you for lunch, Launch, you're one catch I ain't letting go just yet

cabot

Please. I set myself up with the posts in the beginning. You helped me decide to claim now as opposed to waiting/not claiming, along with Kark's read and Sorian a little. Basically I got the feeling I was being very transparently pedestrian. Which Ouro also mentioned after the fact, proving my thoughts.

You did well picking it up, but it wasn't you all along, Austin.

Top Bottom