• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

roytheone

That being said, the direction of a day 2 vote is probably going to be guided more from what happened during day 1, not night 1.

Agreed. Unless we have an outed PR, speculating on why someone was targeted at night is always hard, you never know how the mafia thinks. They want their kill to not be linkable to them, but they also know that we will think that, so maybe they do the opposite. You never know. At least you can look at everybody his reasoning during day 1 discussions and base judgement on something you can actually read.

Fireblend

Banned

So, to summarize:

1. Kark's justifications for his play feel off to you because he replaced what he said was unnecessary aggression with a black-and-white decision and that feels like replacing one problem with another? (I had some trouble parsing that first paragraph; is that what you meant?)
2. You didn't like his read list because they felt like appreciations of the other players' attitudes towards him rather than solid reads.
3. You don't like that he picked on Blarg for some reason.

Regarding 1, I think we're past the point were anyone believes Kark's play is solely about a lynch vs. no lynch debate, even though he continues to mention that point.
About 2, I don't see how the way he phrased his reads is indicative of anything in particular; if anything I'm more worried about your "forgotten players" lists we touched on above.
And finally about 3, I actually agree (that it was weird, not with your random defense "argument"). I don't know if it's because I'm traumatized about the way Blarg acted in the Cthulhu game, but I've found his posts to be surprisingly understandable this time around, so it struck me as odd to see Kark asking him to tone it down.

Kark has a PR.

I'm about to kill something.

OH. HELL. NO.

DARRYL, HOLD MY FUCK.

FIRST, YOU TAKE KARKADOR'S BAIT, PERSONALLY ENABLING HIM TO BE A WHOLE-DAY-AFFAIR CONVERSATION PIECE; THAT'S FINE, OKAY, I GET IT, IT WAS A MOVE THAT DEFINITELY DESERVED DISCUSSION-

BUT THEN, YOU PULL OUT ON THE LAST DAY? BY TELLING ME THAT YOUR REASON IS BECAUSE YOU'VE SOMEHOW CONFIRMED THAT KARKADOR HAS A POWER ROLE? YOU BETTER EXPLAIN TO MY LAYMAN'S ASS HOW EXACTLY YOU CAME TO THAT CONVENIENT CONCLUSION THROUGH KARKADOR'S POSTS, STEP-BY-FUNNING-STEP, MR. FLIP-FLOPPER.

TELLING ME YOU'VE PUBLICLY OUTED AND CONFIRMED A POWER ROLE ON DAY 1? IS THAT IT?

1. YOU TAKE KARKADOR'S BAIT.
  2. YOU PUBLICLY GLORIFY KARKADOR BY CONSTANTLY STRESSING HOW MUCH OF AN EXPERIENCED PLAYER HE IS.
  3. YOU BACK OUT BECAUSE YOU SOMEHOW CONFIRMED MR. "VETERAN" KARKADOR HAS A POWER ROLE.
CONGRATULATIONS, LAUNCHPADMCQ, YOU DID IT. YOU GOT IN THE ROBOT. HAVE SOME CONFETTI. *glitter sprinkle*

AND NOW, YOU HELP THE REST SHIFT THE BLAME ONTO BATSNACKS?

HELP ME UNDERSTAND SOMEBODY PLEASE, WHY DON'T WE LYNCH YOU?

WHY NOT?

WHY? NOT?

WHY ARE THE REST OF YOU LETTING HIM SLIDE?

LAUNCHPADMCQ, YOU, YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR VOTE ON KARKADOR, LAUNCHPADMCQ, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU. WE'RE ON THE FURY ROAD NOW.

I SWEAR, IF MR. "POWER ROLE" KARKADOR DIES TONIGHT AND YOU SURVIVE TODAY, I KNOW FULL DAMN WELL WHAT I'M GOING TO BE EATING FOR DINNER

UNx9VqV.gif

FAKE EDIT:

I TOOK TIME TYPING THIS AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE DECIDED TO VOTE FOR KARKADOR AGAIN.

GOOD. YOU BETTER.

AND KEEP IT THERE.

Sorian

Banned
OH. HELL. NO.

DARRYL, HOLD MY FUCK.

FIRST, YOU TAKE KARKADOR'S BAIT, PERSONALLY ENABLING HIM TO BE A WHOLE-DAY-AFFAIR CONVERSATION PIECE; THAT'S FINE, OKAY, I GET IT, IT WAS A MOVE THAT DEFINITELY DESERVED DISCUSSION-

BUT THEN, YOU PULL OUT ON THE LAST DAY? BY TELLING ME THAT YOUR REASON IS BECAUSE YOU'VE SOMEHOW CONFIRMED THAT KARKADOR HAS A POWER ROLE? YOU BETTER EXPLAIN TO MY LAYMAN'S ASS HOW EXACTLY YOU CAME TO THAT CONVENIENT CONCLUSION THROUGH KARKADOR'S POSTS, STEP-BY-FUNNING-STEP, MR. FLIP-FLOPPER.

TELLING ME YOU'VE PUBLICLY OUTED AND CONFIRMED A POWER ROLE ON DAY 1? IS THAT IT?

1. YOU TAKE KARKADOR'S BAIT.
  2. YOU PUBLICLY GLORIFY KARKADOR BY CONSTANTLY STRESSING HOW MUCH OF AN EXPERIENCED PLAYER HE IS.
  3. YOU BACK OUT BECAUSE YOU SOMEHOW CONFIRMED MR. "VETERAN" KARKADOR HAS A POWER ROLE.
CONGRATULATIONS, LAUNCHPADMCQ, YOU DID IT. YOU GOT IN THE ROBOT. HAVE SOME CONFETTI. *glitter sprinkle*

AND NOW, YOU HELP THE REST SHIFT THE BLAME ONTO BATSNACKS?

HELP ME UNDERSTAND SOMEBODY PLEASE, WHY DON'T WE LYNCH YOU?

WHY NOT?

WHY? NOT?

WHY ARE THE REST OF YOU LETTING HIM SLIDE?

LAUNCHPADMCQ, YOU, YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR VOTE ON KARKADOR, LAUNCHPADMCQ, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU. WE'RE ON THE FURY ROAD NOW.

I SWEAR, IF MR. "POWER ROLE" KARKADOR DIES TONIGHT AND YOU SURVIVE TODAY, I KNOW FULL DAMN WELL WHAT I'M GOING TO BE EATING FOR DINNER

UNx9VqV.gif

FAKE EDIT:

I TOOK TIME TYPING THIS AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE DECIDED TO VOTE FOR KARKADOR AGAIN.

GOOD. YOU BETTER.

AND KEEP IT THERE.

Why don't I ever get to hold your fuck?

Fireblend

Banned

I interpreted that "PR claim" more as a joke than anything, or at least that was what I hoped it was. Roy called him out on it too and he kind of dodged the question.

Wait, what? is that because of:

Because that doesn't necessarily seems to me that Kark has a town PR. Sure, he is a little more vague about his role, but still, if Kark really is a town PR then his little stunt of putting himself on the line is even more ridiculous.

To which Launch answered with a vague:

The unvote was a gesture.

Sorian

Banned
I interpreted that "PR claim" more as a joke than anything, or at least that was what I hoped it was. Roy called him out on it too and he kind of dodged the question.

To which Launch answered with a vague:

Yeah, I don't know what he meant by a gesture either. Kark then seemingly unvoted him as a "gesture" as well it seems.

Karkador

Banned
I don't buy the story Kark is trying to sell so I want to make sure I understand what's going on:
Kark says he notices a pattern in games where townies are unnecessarily aggressive toward each other and it creates an environment where mafia can blend in by hiding behind innocent townie mistakes. He votes himself in a symbolic gesture, stating "come at me, if you want to mislynch someone, mislynch me." His solution to the problem of unnecessary aggression is for everyone to either work together AND NO-LYNCH, or to lynch an innocent townie (him).

You've finally posted something that makes sense. Yes, this is all correct.

If Kark is town he is 100% certain of exactly one person's alignment, his own. It doesn't make sense for Kark to want to lynch the one person he knows is town. So that's annoying, but it also doesn't make sense for mafia to do this, so the self vote is not what makes Kark mafia.

One vote =/= a lynch. You said it yourself; it was a symbolic gesture, and I did it early enough to have time to work through the reasoning why. I'm not suicidal.

What does make sense for mafia to do is create a thread environment where people are punished for pursuing their reads and putting pressure on each other (re Launch).

I disagree that this is the current environment. I don't dissuade anyone from pursuing reads. I gave my own reads, too, on every player in the game. I haven't shot down anyone's reads of the situation at all. Their guesses are as good as mine.

And... Kark's read post is a lot of words and not many of them are alignment indicative. Most of that post is about whether or not people have agreed with him and whether people are aggressive or not.

If you look at cabbeh's reads post it reads as: this guy is <alignment> for <reason>. That is what town is interested in.

I've given a fair amount of observations about a certain player (or players; that means you) that are playing differently from other players. Other players haven't really made huge moves, but I don't know what to assign them to, and I don't really care to play that way.
Lots of other players haven't posted enough to say one way or another.

If you look at Karks reads post it reads as: this guy doesn't agree with me and this is why he's wrong, or this guy is aggressive and this is why aggression is bad.

Is this bad?

And he picks on Blarg of all people and I like Blarg because he feels good. Townies are more likely to feel good than mafia. That's just science.

I don't care. Blarg is not a sacred cow, and this riddle-speak doesn't help anyone.

Darryl

Banned
I woke up and read through the last page and Blarg is the only person to have said anything worth anything to me

Sorian

Banned
I don't care. Blarg is not a sacred cow, and this riddle-speak doesn't help anyone.

I find this interesting. Blarg isn't even really talking in riddles in this game. Some is non-sensical, yes, but his opinion is quite out there for all to read.

Karkador

Banned
I find this interesting. Blarg isn't even really talking in riddles in this game. Some is non-sensical, yes, but his opinion is quite out there for all to read.

If you can help me understand what stuff like "feeling good" means, please tell. Otherwise, it's noise.

Fireblend

Banned

Yep. Quoting myself from near the top of the page.

I don't know if it's because I'm traumatized about the way Blarg acted in the Cthulhu game, but I've found his posts to be surprisingly understandable this time around, so it struck me as odd to see Kark asking him to tone it down.

I find it very curious that Kark's decided to double down on that position just now.

Sorian

Banned
If you can help me understand what stuff like "feeling good" means, please tell. Otherwise, it's noise.

Occam's razor, he feels good about a vote. He doesn't like you or Launch, it seems. The snowman thing was mostly noise, I agree, but his stance is easy to see. He agrees that you are up to some shit but he also thinks Launch could be in on it too. He actually feels that Launch is more likely to be the scum so he would rather go that route first.

Just so we can stop revisiting it, me thinking Kark has a PR and unvoting are unrelated. I make posts sporadically, if it wasn't obvious, and I don't always consider how the structure comes off.

Sorian

Banned
Just so we can stop revisiting it, me thinking Kark has a PR and unvoting are unrelated. I make posts sporadically, if it wasn't obvious, and I don't always consider how the structure comes off.

Odd, but I'll bite, why did you unvote then? I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say it was a gesture.

Karkador

Banned
Occam's razor, he feels good about a vote. He doesn't like you or Launch, it seems. The snowman thing was mostly noise, I agree, but his stance is easy to see. He agrees that you are up to some shit but he also thinks Launch could be in on it too. He actually feels that Launch is more likely to be the scum so he would rather go that route first.

We really, really, really should not have to wade through this like we're interpreting the intentions of an alien. This is a game that needs communication. You yourself got chased off last night because of it.

Darryl

Banned
I can't say I've had any problems understanding Blarg and his feelings so far, especially right now coming off that last post which was very pointed in what he meant.

batsnacks

Omg neogaf not letting me post, am I posting too much?

@FireBlend the fact the Karks reads don't seem indicative of anything in particular is the problem I have with them, if that makes sense.

And my forgotten players list is good! I promise. Every townie should be keeping track of the people they don't remember posts from. Like Im probably only ever posting that list as town because if I'm mafia I probably have scumbuddies on that list.

Also that post by Blarg is aces. I knew I liked him.

And @Launch why are you ever unvoting someone because they're slandering you? If you are being logical and reasonable against someone shouldn't your resolve be strengthened by them slandering you?

Sorian

Banned
We really, really, really should not have to wade through this like we're interpreting the intentions of an alien. This is a game that needs communication. You yourself got chased off last night because of it.

I'm not going to policy lynch someone based on how they play so idk how to fix this issue and past that his communication level is currently fine by my standards.

I also didn't get chased off by bad communication. I was frustrated at something unrelated and I saw that some people were getting their fluff posts out of the way so I announced my departure so no one would expect me to chime in for awhile.

Karkador

Banned
I'm not going to policy lynch someone based on how they play so idk how to fix this issue and past that his communication level is currently fine by my standards.

I also didn't get chased off by bad communication. I was frustrated at something unrelated and I saw that some people were getting their fluff posts out of the way so I announced my departure so no one would expect me to chime in for awhile.

I'm not suggesting a policy lynch, I'm suggesting clarity

And @Launch why are you ever unvoting someone because they're slandering you? If you are being logical and reasonable against someone shouldn't your resolve be strengthened by them slandering you?

Evidently, Kark was not responding well to this and I've calmed down considerably since the first few hours, so removing my vote for the moment does not affect the eventual outcome. Notice that he unvoted me and back off; I'm more than alright with this sequence of events.

Like I've said though, the negative response to scrutiny is still a huge deal to me, but I'd rather proceed civilly now.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not suggesting a policy lynch, I'm suggesting clarity

I know you aren't but Blarg will play the way he likes. I don't think a call for clarity is going to get it for us and he's better here than not as far as I am aware at the moment.

Karkador

Banned
I know you aren't but Blarg will play the way he likes. I don't think a call for clarity is going to get it for us and he's better here than not as far as I am aware at the moment.

If no one is going to call out Blarg on it, then why even call anyone out on anything. Seriously, this is sort of making me want to rage quit. WTF is the point of any of this with a rambling player.

Finally caught up.

I think Karkador's play is a bit disingenuous. Offering himself up as sacrifice but then saying later "those that jumped on me are suspicious" and "I wasn't going to sacrifice myself anyway" seems like he wants his cake and to eat it too. Is it too risky and unexpected for scum to do? Hard to say. His caveat that "if I flip town then look at who voted" would make everyone reluctant to pile on. That said, I understand his reasoning behind it but I'm starting to get tired of always debating the merits of a no-lynch on the first day.

Launchpad "taking the bait" doesn't seem very suspicious. Day 1, scum would jump at any opportunity to lynch anyone that isn't them, but the same applies to everyone else. No one wants to die Day 1. Launchpad put himself out there, which is a bit risky for scum to do. I think if he didn't step up to vote Karkador, someone else would.

batsnacks' behaviour seems more suspicious to me. He latched onto Karkador, maybe hoping to start a quick bandwagon, and when it stalled he had to find some other reason to vote. However, his explanation isn't unreasonable: Karkador is dominating discussion and will continue to do so until the end of the day.

I'm not sure who my vote will land on at the end of the day, but it will probably be batsnacks or Karkador.

Sorian

Banned
If no one is going to call out Blarg on it, then why even call anyone out on anything. Seriously, this is sort of making me want to rage quit. WTF is the point of any of this with a rambling player.

I'm sorry but it seems like the general consensus is that people have been understanding Blarg perfectly fine so you are mostly odd man out there. I've called him on it once or twice on very specific posts but at the end of the day, he's easy to read in this game so far. In terns of the bolded, none of the pity party shit or I'll be happy to vote for you faster, I've learned enough to know not to trust that at all.

Who you gonna lynch today Kark? :D

Let's say you were the man in charge and had the pick of the litter today. Who do you remove?

RetroMG

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm here, but I'm going through the thread with a fine tooth comb and updating my notes. I'm at the end of page 4. Will give a comprehensive read list and a vote when I am done.

I'm saying I do like the noise when it's something I can understand. I'm a hater of your behaviour, not you personally obvs. I like my Mafia easy to digest post by post. Not something that can be said when I read your stuff, it just makes me more confused.

Bottom line is I'm one of fifteen, so unless anyone else feels the same way, you've got nothing to worry about. It is the reason why I'm voting for you though. Currently pretty set on staying there.

The other stuff needs a little more time in the oven for me to think about.

Tactful side-stepping of provocative queries, to-the-point response does not address the provided inflammatory critique and is laced with standard-issue claims of confusion and desire for clarity; once again, notes that he is just one of many and defers to the majority in a subtle plea for help in advancing his current goal. Uses food puns.

Deflective, not dismissive, with a concluding promise reiterating that there's more to come, again stated to be personally provided at a later date of course, so as to ensure self-preservation through hype.

You play it very safe.

Karkador

Banned
I'm sorry but it seems like the general consensus is that people have been understanding Blarg perfectly fine so you are mostly odd man out there. I've called him on it once or twice on very specific posts but at the end of the day, he's easy to read in this game so far. In terns of the bolded, none of the pity party shit or I'll be happy to vote for you faster, I've learned enough to know not to trust that at all.

It's not pity party shit.

Look, man. I'm trying to do something very specific here, and it requires discussion, to say the least.

If Blarg is getting a pass for bullshit while every one of my words is getting minced (all the while, blaming me for "making it about me"), that's very frustrating. I don't care if you take pity on me. I don't need that at all. What I need is for people to dislodge themselves from the routine that has settled in.

Let's say you were the man in charge and had the pick of the litter today. Who do you remove?

I already said, the ideal is for no one to be removed, preferrably with a tied vote on some players, resulting in a no lynch. I can't think of a single person I'd want to remove, but that's my Day 1.

Now, if you want to ask this question another way - who would I want players voted on - me, Launch, and batsnacks, resulting in a tie of some sort.

Sorian

Banned
Tactful side-stepping of provocative queries, to-the-point response does not address the provided inflammatory critique and is laced with standard-issue claims of confusion and desire for clarity; once again, notes that he is just one of many and defers to the majority in a subtle plea for help in advancing his current goal. Uses food puns.

Deflective, not dismissive, with a concluding promise reiterating that there's more to come, again stated to be personally provided at a later date of course, so as to ensure self-preservation through hype.

You play it very safe.

Your read is good, I think cabbeh is purposely trying to play as safe as possible so that he can stick around as long as possible.

It's not pity party shit.

Look, man. I'm trying to do something very specific here, and it requires discussion, to say the least.

If Blarg is getting a pass for bullshit while every one of my words is getting minced (all the while, blaming me for "making it about me"), that's very frustrating. I don't care if you take pity on me. I don't need that at all. What I need is for people to dislodge themselves from the routine that has settled in.

I already said, the ideal is for no one to be removed, preferrably with a tied vote on some players, resulting in a no lynch. I can't think of a single person I'd want to remove, but that's my Day 1.

Now, if you want to ask this question another way - who would I want players voted on - me, Launch, and batsnacks, resulting in a tie of some sort.

We used to be best buddies, and now we're not

I wish you would tell me whhhyyyyy

Do you wanna build a snowman?

It doesn't have to be a snowmaaaaan

Top Bottom