• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

mr_chun

I was really tempted to pick this up today, but got the ever-disappearing Metroid Prime Trilogy instead (only one copy left at my BB). I think I'm gonna wait a while and see how the online community has evened out.

NO!R

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Old but Giantbombs second quicklook here

Is it me or does that guy playing the game is utterly missing the point of OBJECTIVE BASED GAMEPLAY? He's just out to get kills and plant bombs by himself. It's so annoying to watch a player get it so wrong. I imagine any on-the-fence'rs must get automatically turned off after seeing him play.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
NO!R said:
Is it me or does that guy playing the game is utterly missing the point of OBJECTIVE BASED GAMEPLAY? He's just out to get kills and plant bombs by himself. It's so annoying to watch a player get it so wrong. I imagine any on-the-fence'rs must get automatically turned off after seeing him play.

It hasn't turned me off personally because I actually know about the game, but yeah the way Jeff plays the game really isn't ideal. He has a very MW2 mentality about it. You can't really do a quick look of this game if you're not gonna listen to orders your teammates are giving/use a mic during it.

I really want to try this game even though I'm not big on online shooter. the premise interest me even though I think I'm only going for being grunt level player.

but I think I have to wait for more impression from someone around my country, Indonesia's terrible internet connection. usually I have faith in Sony 1st party online games, because I can play Killzone, Uncharted and Warhawk relatively smooth. but 3rd party games like Metal Gear Online or Tekken is unplayable.

btw, wouldn't it be cool if for dlc, they give new map or modes for free, but the paid dlc will be in the form of new pmc group. downside is everyone will have to download it as mandatory patch, but upside is, no more splitting their player base. reading the joystiq review. it said that win or lose are more determined from strategy and following chain of command rather than individual player skill. I imagine they can make new pmc group that will play a bit different from the rest, like requiring different strategy, etc.

Tried to get into a game with ValorGAF earlier, but after I got the group invite nothing happened. I sat there for like 5-10 minutes waiting for a game to start. :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
NO!R said:

Pretty much this.

Maybe the GAF SVER clan should ask the GB guys if they want to experience how fun co-ordinated group play can be. I just watched their part 2 video and that was so obviously missing.

Anton668

Just got me copy tonight! Sweet....

now lets see if I remember what the hell is going on.

Prepare for my averageness!!!

Lince

Banned
lvl 20 after my first day with MAG, had some awesome games with SVER GAF. Game is really fantastic (maybe too much MW2 on my part) and I pray to God they don't nerf the LMG, it doesn't have the 4x scope or silencers of the ARs so I think they're pretty much balanced, if they nerf the damage/range everyone will be using rifles instead.

Today is when I found out I really don't like something in MAG. I despise the grenades. >> I don't think I have ever been so annoyed by grenades in a game before. People just throw them anywhere they can, hoping to kill someone. I will just walk, and then boom get killed by a grenade. The grenade spamming isn't the only annoying thing, it's the indicator for the grenades too. You don't know there is a grenade about to kill you until you die from it.

elohel

lastinline said:
Today is when I found out I really don't like something in MAG. I despise the grenades. >> I don't think I have ever been so annoyed by grenades in a game before. People just throw them anywhere they can, hoping to kill someone. I will just walk, and then boom get killed by a grenade. The grenade spamming isn't the only annoying thing, it's the indicator for the grenades too. You don't know there is a grenade about to kill you until you die from it.

yes

very difficult to see and they have an insane range

they always seem to track me, i start to get away and the reticle or w/e just gets more opaque lol like its following me

i think this game has issues, but the foundations are very strong

jlevel13

Isn't that the point of a grenade - you think there's a guy far away from you that you can't quite see to shoot at, so you toss a grenade that way hoping for a kill? What else did God invent grenades for? IRL, one can throw a grenade pretty far too.

jlevel13 said:
What else did God invent grenades for?
To dislodge an enemy from a covered position actually.

But at least the game has team damage ON at all times which discourages some of the worst forms of grenade spam.

keuja

I'll probably get the game when it's out here at world's end (NZ).
I have this fantasy where i'm hiding silently with a few comrades, waiting to ambush unsuspecting troops approaching below.
The squad leader would go "Wait for my signal before you open fire. Hold on... Hold on... Hold on a bit more........... UNLEASH HELL!" Then we'd air strike, blind fire and throw all our grenades until nothing remained but a smoking crater and tens of enemy corpses. Can't wait to get the game :D

Violater

Good domination game guys.
It's so refreshing when teammates grasp the concept that the APC is not to be used primarily as a weapon.

Razardica

Neo Member
On domination, are you guys getting a glitch where you get stuck with the grenade selected and you can't change gear or weapons until you throw it?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Violater said:
Good domination game guys.
It's so refreshing when teammates grasp the concept that the APC is not to be used primarily as a weapon.

ya we had some good matches (i am tigerheli). For some reason, voice kept cutting out so I couldn't hear you guys for long stretches. Pretty annoying.

anyone answer my question in a PM?

I am wondering if you can play suppression on a different map? I am a level 4 or 5 and haven't been able to yet.. it's always the same. and after each game do I have to re-join a game or is there a "keep it floating" option like cod4. Thanks guys!!!

*Will change this to answered, when someone does.*

Razardica said:
On domination, are you guys getting a glitch where you get stuck with the grenade selected and you can't change gear or weapons until you throw it?

Had it happen to me once on the SVER map.

Edit : Also...I didn't want to linger on this because I am truly enjoying the game but I am worried. People are already moaning in the pre match lobby when the SVER maps show up on the screen. Anybody getting a sense that it will impact the game in a negative fashion?

Palmer_v1

What stops Raven or Valor from simply sending all 4 squads at objective A when attacking SVER sabo map? It seems like the 2 to 1 advantage should let them push SVER back to spawn, and once they have it secured, the assisting squads can attack Bravo from the flank.

Has anyone tried it?

P.S. I hate the dark area behind the Water Tower thing on B side. Seems like they always have 3 or 4 snipers lurking back there. Not very effective if they want to actually win, but still annoying if you're up on B.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Palmer_v1 said:
What stops Raven or Valor from simply sending all 4 squads at objective A when attacking SVER sabo map? It seems like the 2 to 1 advantage should let them push SVER back to spawn, and once they have it secured, the assisting squads can attack Bravo from the flank.

Has anyone tried it?

P.S. I hate the dark area behind the Water Tower thing on B side. Seems like they always have 3 or 4 snipers lurking back there. Not very effective if they want to actually win, but still annoying if you're up on B.
I was thinking about that one day. Be hard to get all to comply but would probably work

sturmdogg

Callibretto said:
I really want to try this game even though I'm not big on online shooter. the premise interest me even though I think I'm only going for being grunt level player.

but I think I have to wait for more impression from someone around my country, Indonesia's terrible internet connection. usually I have faith in Sony 1st party online games, because I can play Killzone, Uncharted and Warhawk relatively smooth. but 3rd party games like Metal Gear Online or Tekken is unplayable.

btw, wouldn't it be cool if for dlc, they give new map or modes for free, but the paid dlc will be in the form of new pmc group. downside is everyone will have to download it as mandatory patch, but upside is, no more splitting their player base. reading the joystiq review. it said that win or lose are more determined from strategy and following chain of command rather than individual player skill. I imagine they can make new pmc group that will play a bit different from the rest, like requiring different strategy, etc.

I'm in the Philippines, and the game runs smoothly for me, no lag at all. It's so smooth I got my first ribbon, 10 headshots in 1 game :D

answer meeee!!! do you guys think this game has legs??? I am getting a warhawk vibe from the giantbomb preview. if so, im going to buy this damn thing this weekend.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
TrAcEr_x90 said:
answer meeee!!! do you guys think this game has legs??? I am getting a warhawk vibe from the giantbomb preview. if so, im going to buy this damn thing this weekend.
I believe so. Hard to tell but looks like it can if Zipper supports it correctly.

darkwing

sturmdogg said:
I'm in the Philippines, and the game runs smoothly for me, no lag at all. It's so smooth I got my first ribbon, 10 headshots in 1 game :D

same here, if its not lagging for players in Asia, how much more in other countries :D

sturmdogg said:

darkwing said:
same here, if its not lagging for players in Asia, how much more in other countries :D

what's your advertised internet speed by the provider? I'm on 1Mbps/256Kbps dl/ul ratio.

just want to compare.

also, a bit off topic, but I was wondering why my psn download speed is very slow when I download stuff from psn store. 60mb Killzone patch took hours on ps3 even though comparable file size only took a couple minutes on my pc. anyone has any idea?

Palmer_v1

archnemesis said:
Does anyone know the equip costs of the second tier SVER RPG (RPG-7VG II) and the medium machine gun (PSK MG)?

1000 for the RPG for sure. maybe 500 for the PSK MG? I use it, but I can't remember the numbers.

darkwing

Callibretto said:
what's your advertised internet speed by the provider? I'm on 1Mbps/256Kbps dl/ul ratio.

just want to compare.

also, a bit off topic, but I was wondering why my psn download speed is very slow when I download stuff from psn store. 60mb Killzone patch took hours on ps3 even though comparable file size only took a couple minutes on my pc. anyone has any idea?

I'm running 2Mbps but I always have a download that's capped at 200kbps, still i'm running MAG quite well :D I reckon even at 512kbps or lower MAG will still run fine

Top Bottom