• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Wes

venison crêpe
Wow what a great delivery!

Not only did my game arrive, but an official PS3 headset I ordered from Dixon which wasn't expected until next week!

I'm coming fellow Ravens!!

elohel

every time i get bored and am thinking about playing games

i hear the MAG theme song in my head im not that far along but, it is pretty addicting

Click

Banned
I really hope Zipper fixes the insane lag or whatever the hell it is that's plaguing Domination games right now. Yesterday, it was 2 out of 12 games that had this issue. Today, it was more like 1 in every 2 games was a lag-fest.

If Zipper doesn't fix this major problem asap, people will begin to say "see, I knew MAG couldn't handle 256 players at once. What a bunch of BS." And I don't want to see that happen. The beta was nearly flawless but now, Domination games are really irritating, to say the least.

Anyway, GG, SVER GAF. We owned almost every game we played today / tonight.

jorma

is now taking requests
Click said:
I really hope Zipper fixes the insane lag or whatever the hell it is that's plaguing Domination games right now. Yesterday, it was 2 out of 12 games that had this issue. Today, it was more like 1 in every 2 games was a lag-fest.

If Zipper doesn't fix this major problem asap, people will begin to say "see, I knew MAG couldn't handle 256 players at once. What a bunch of BS." And I don't want to see that happen. The beta was nearly flawless but now, Domination games are really irritating, to say the least.

It's weird since it's lagging where open beta did not lag even though there were so many more players online. Unless there's a million dudes playing suppression of course.

GothPunk

I'm trying to decide whether I should spend the extra €5 on the collector's edition of the game. I don't think I'd ever use the dynamic themes but what's this about bonus armour? Does anyone know what this bonus armour does, if anything, apart from look nice? I've been Googling and kind find any answers.

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:
THE BRITISH ARE COMING.

Nice, I will be online from 3.30 at the latest. Hopefully we can grab a game later and I can add you if you haven't been added already.

How much was the headset? Looking forward to hearing the great wes.

Kowak

Banned
GothPunk said:
I'm trying to decide whether I should spend the extra €5 on the collector's edition of the game. I don't think I'd ever use the dynamic themes but what's this about bonus armour? Does anyone know what this bonus armour does, if anything, apart from look nice? I've been Googling and kind find any answers.

I will be trying it later so will let you know, was told that the armour got ducked if you use it before the euro launch.

Kyoufu

GothPunk said:

I got a code for the theme and the armour with the standard edition, but honestly I would rather go with the collector's edition since the packaging looks excellent.

jorma

is now taking requests
GothPunk said:

from what i read in this thread it's armor that costs 800p in your loadout. Sort of fills the void between the 600p armor and the 1000p armor. I've had some loadouts where that could have come in handy, so if anyone has a raven code but would prefer sver, let me know =)

Click

Banned
Why did Zipper do this?

http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/message?board.id=generaldiscussion&message.id=214186#M214186

Especially SVER's face wrap. I'm so pissed off that they decided it would be a good idea to take them completely out of the game when that face wrap was in all of their concept art, character renderings, and just about any other SVER image I've ever seen. It defines SVER's look and now it's completely gone.

Same thing with Raven. Their balaclavas are even on the cover of MAG yet it's not in the game, lol. Seriously Zipper. WTF?

Click

Banned
archnemesis said:
They'll probably sell it as DLC. :(

The pessimistic side of me is thinking the same thing.

Honestly, most of the changes Zipper made from beta to final version were bad. Not sure why they changed things that didn't need changing. They should've added more character customization options instead of limiting, locking, and completely taking things out. So retarded.

This maintenance window is insane, and has cut me off from playing on both times I've had a chunk of time to play.

Please tell me this 2 hour Monday through Friday thing isn't permanent. Whether its a "window" or not doesn't matter much when you're kicked out of the game and have no idea whether it'll come up in 15 minutes or two hours.

jorma

is now taking requests
archnemesis said:
They'll probably sell it as DLC. :(

i'm all for it, provided they instead release the community breaking dlc for free. I'm an optimist!

Or maybe they just feared their game would otherwise be banned in france :p

Cagen

Click said:
Why did Zipper do this?

http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/message?board.id=generaldiscussion&message.id=214186#M214186

Especially SVER's face wrap. I'm so pissed off that they decided it would be a good idea to take them completely out of the game when that face wrap was in all of their concept art, character renderings, and just about any other SVER image I've ever seen. It defines SVER's look and now it's completely gone.

Same thing with Raven. Their balaclavas are even on the cover of MAG yet it's not in the game, lol. Seriously Zipper. WTF?
The UK regular edition has a SVER character on the front with the face mask. It's rather stupid. They removed some of the hockey masks too, didn't they?

Really can't think of anythng i would rather be doing right now, on my birthday, than being at work having my energy drained from me as if I were sat in a cloud of ZX Gas. Oh wait, I can and MAG would be amongst them.

Sorry for ditching early last night SVER GAF, felt like shit and had to get up early for work today.

Eurogamer game MAG a 7 despite the review reading like a solid 8. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a 9 at the end. A 7 doesn't make sense to me after reading the text.

micster

Just been in Gamestation Birmingham and they've got a big thing going on. From what I could see it was a couple of TV's, a couple of gaming chairs and a massive curtain going around it all with the MAG logo on it. So I guess if you didnt get into the beta then you can try it there. I wasnt that impressed with the beta though, for me it was just a clusterfuck of having no idea what was going on

NHale

Bearillusion said:
Eurogamer game MAG a 7 despite the review reading like a solid 8. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a 9 at the end. A 7 doesn't make sense to me after reading the text.

It makes sense because it's Eurogamer. Most of their reviews don't "match" the score.

Billen

Banned
Bearillusion said:

The do have their reputation to uphold, you know. Of course the obvious answer is to ignore the scores set. However, I am fully aware that it can effect the descisions of the gamer-lemmings out there (the mere mortals).

Lince

Banned
Click said:
Why did Zipper do this?

maybe to free some RAM and help the framerate, just a wild guess.

I can't wait to re-spec my character, I made some silly decisions with the sniper rifles... I think I'm better off spending those skill points with the improved RES or the lock-on RPGs.

The domination game I played yesterday was much better compared to the Beta, but even with the aggressive LOD they can't make it run at a smooth 30 fps... I understand the hardware and network limitations but I believe there's still room for improvement, Acquisition games are big enough for me though.

uraldix

Lince said:
I can't wait to re-spec my character, I made some silly decisions with the sniper rifles... I think I'm better off spending those skill points with the improved RES or the lock-on RPGs.

I respec'd my character and still made a couple of choices that I regret. I wish they would let you choose all of your options and then either confirm the changes or revert back to the original without a penalty.

KZObsessed

Sorry I declined a couple of party invites yesterday, was just playing a game or two in between studying. BUT AM I FREE NOW.

Will accept all party invites going forward, I AM COMING LINCE. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAGEN. OMG ALL CAPS.

Lince

Banned
uraldix said:
I respec'd my character and still made a couple of choices that I regret. I wish they would let you choose all of your options and then either confirm the changes or revert back to the original without a penalty.

absolutely, this is my second re-spec... first one was when I wasted some points on the SMG class believing it would be a replacement for my sidearm, that was dumb I know. Then I spent those points on the improved sniper rifle but still it isn't a guaranteed 1-hit kill so this time around I'll just stick to my trusty LMG and get improved RES for my GAF friends :lol

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
I AM COMING LINCE. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAGEN. OMG ALL CAPS.

I AM COMING TOO OMG :lol

is it Cagenaire's birthday?? happy birthday RAGEN !!!!!!!!! hope Raist can make it to your party.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm finding the AK 47 with the 4x scope to be the optimal weapon. Whether from long distance or up close, it usually does the job. Honestly, 70% of my deaths come from reviving someone or trying to revive someone... i love you all, svergaf, but I might try a new strategy. Is there an online skill point calculator?

jorma

is now taking requests
commish said:
I'm finding the AK 47 with the 4x scope to be the optimal weapon. Whether from long distance or up close, it usually does the job. Honestly, 70% of my deaths come from reviving someone or trying to revive someone... i love you all, svergaf, but I might try a new strategy. Is there an online skill point calculator?

yep
http://www.maggametools.com/skills

Liberty4all

Banned
Great games last night Raven GAF. Sorry about the mortar incident on that aquisition map. If it's any consolation I took a - 30 or so point hit. Worst Squad leader evar confirmed!

Valuable lesson learned though ... be veerrrry careful when calling in mortar strikes! :D

Click you around? I'm still wondering about the "setting two frago's thing" you talked about earlier. Does setting a waypoint also act as a fraggo? Or when you switch fraggo targets the original one still gives off bonus xp for a limited time?

I bought the medium light machine gun (Raven) last night. That thing is a beast, it feels like you are holding a portable turret gun. Sadly it's freaking heavy ... With heavy armour on, one attachment my med kit I wasn't able to arm any grenades or smokes at all. Debating on respecing and changing from medium LMG to the 2nd tier rocket launcher, but not sure about the weight difference between the two though. Also eyeing the tech line that leads to poison grenades ... those things make a big difference when attacking SVER strongholds.

I'm still peeved about map balance in the game. Of Raven's 3 maps Sabatoge seems to be the only one we stand a chance at winning ... and that's only if point A and B hold. Once point C unlocks it's game over ... hell half the time SVER or Valor will have a guy camping point C before it's even unlocked!

I'm hoping tonight RavenGAF can try doing some advanced tactics ... for example having our squad hold the AA gun an entire domination match, or perhaps doing a rush on sabatoge. I think Click was saying that the squad leader can assign the entire squad to an alternate spawn point (Say make everyone spawn at point B spawn instead of Point A) to create interesting rush situations. As somebody else mentioned this might be really helpful on SVER maps.

Overall really enjoying the game and getting to know some of the GAF crew in the process.

jorma

is now taking requests
commish said:
much appreciated! anyone finding improved healing worth it? I'm not seeing the benefit...

i just got it and boy it was dissapointing, i imagined i'd be healing dudes right and left, but the cooldown feels just as before

i'll probably respec in two levels and get the full healing instead and then i'm done with the medic tree.

Liberty4all

Banned
commish said:
much appreciated! anyone finding improved healing worth it? I'm not seeing the benefit...

The main benefit is that in a heavy firefight you get your guys back to 100 percent health a couple second sooner if you are healing instead of rezing.

To be honest though I generally prefer to wait for my teamates to die and rez (rather than heal when they are alive). Rezzing gives instant 100 percent health (assuming you have full sec rez), and is worth more xp wise.

jorma

is now taking requests
Bamelin said:
Click you around? I'm still wondering about the "setting two frago's thing" you talked about earlier. Does setting a waypoint also act as a fraggo? Or when you switch fraggo targets the original one still gives off bonus xp for a limited time?

i'd like to know as well, but if i can guess it might be that there is always one basic frago, that the computer sets and then the squad leader can set another if he wishes. i'm pretty sure i got fragos from both A and B when defending on domination last night, and i think it possible that's how it was done.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Bamelin said:
The main benefit is that in a heavy firefight you get your guys back to 100 percent health a couple second sooner if you are healing instead of rezing.

To be honest though I generally prefer to wait for my teamates to die and rez (rather than heal when they are alive). Rezzing gives instant 100 percent health (assuming you have full sec rez), and is worth more xp wise.

ha, but there's a chance your teammate cannot be rezzed, they take a death, etc.

I'm respeccing tonight. No more improved health. I need to unlock the fire and forget rocket asap.

KZObsessed

Played my first Domination game and suffered my first loss :( Really frustrating, we only started to take the objectives at the end when there wasn't enough time left, only got the damage meter up to half way. Took B 3 times and here was no one else there. Squad leader was a lvl 39 retard. It was fun tho. Got 52 kills and 720xp and went up 3 levels. Got a few ribbons and trophies, great! Barely any lag at all in that one, framerate when there's airstrikes my god, still bad, but only last a few seconds thank god.

Oh I spawned at one time and fell through the floor to my death. :lol Can't wait to play in a GAF party. I'm not very good at the game yet, but I'll get there. Not played a single aquisition, gonna try that now.

oh for LMG users, is the second SVER LMG (PSK MG) worth purchasing or should I just stick with the default?

MAG to get 4th PMC?

In an upcoming interview for TheSixthAxis, Ben Jones, Senior Game Designer at Zipper hints that there’s a possibility MAG could see a fourth PMC.

“Players, when they find out what we have planned in terms of future support for MAG in terms of the Shadow War and how that’s going to pan out,” he said, “will be very surprised and excited.”

TheSixthAxis asked Jones whether he was referring to a fourth PMC. Smiling, he said “You just never know. It could happen.”

Watch out for the full interview later today on TheSixthAxis.

Would be awesome.

Liberty4all

Banned
commish said:
ha, but there's a chance your teammate cannot be rezzed, they take a death, etc.

In a big firefight I've found 9 times out of 10 healing somebody about to die anyways is a waste of time ... usually they take another bullet before being fully healed up and are dead anyways, and now your med gun has to wait to charge up.

I can see where improved healing *might* be useful if you are in a firefight but with some cover, type situation but generally I feel rezzing is the superior choice in a firefight and slow heals work just as well as fast for non combat situations.

Liberty4all

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Played my first Domination game and suffered my first loss :( Really frustrating, we only started to take the objectives at the end when there wasn't enough time left, only got the damage meter up to half way. Took B 3 times and here was no one else there. Squad leader was a lvl 39 retard. It was fun tho. Got 52 kills and 720xp and went up 3 levels. Got a few ribbons and trophies, great! Barely any lag at all in that one, framerate when there's airstrikes my god, still bad, but only last a few seconds thank god.

Oh I spawned at one time and fell through the floor to my death. :lol Can't wait to play in a GAF party. I'm not very good at the game yet, but I'll get there. Not played a single aquisition, gonna try that now.

oh for LMG users, is the second SVER LMG (PSK MG) worth purchasing or should I just stick with the default?

I can't speak for SVER but looking at the stats the RAVEN and SVER 3rd tier LMG look pretty similar. I know that Raven's 3rd tier LMG is practially like having a mobile bunker turret. The main problem with the 3rd LMG is weight ... You basically aren't going to have enough CC's left to carry much else if you've also got a med kit on you.

I'm debating respecing and tossing the 3rd tier LMG in favour of either the 2nd tier rocket launcher or poison grenades.

Lagspike_exe said:

that would be so sick, I only see a 4th PMC happening though is if the MAG community is much higher than they expected which at this point seems really possible.

Also, GG with everyone I played with on SVER last night. We all avoided Dominaiton for the ridiculous lag lol.

I think we lost 1 match out of like 10 or so we played. Some matches there wasn't much going on and it was kind of boring but for the most part it was pretty fun.

jorma said:
i'd like to know as well, but if i can guess it might be that there is always one basic frago, that the computer sets and then the squad leader can set another if he wishes. i'm pretty sure i got fragos from both A and B when defending on domination last night, and i think it possible that's how it was done.

is this what you guys are looking for ?

Main objectives, i.e. Burnoff Towers, Cooling Towers, and Pump Controls are ALWAYS Frago targets.

The squad leader can then designate one other target to Frago(what does that even mean anyway?). The idea is setting a target will cause all the idiots playing to swarm the target for the, "OMGzorZ, MOAR of teh EXPzsorzezz".

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, and most of the time people will not listen, and instead go after whatever target they want.

That said, on defender, quick hop in the turret of a bunker, and Frago the bunker. Double exp.

Dammit. Want to get in some more time with RavenGAF, but woman keeps coming over. Shit, I even went out and bought another official headset for MAG, since I somehow lost my old one.

web01

Cool just noticed the soundtracks for each PMC are up on itunes seperately.

Search MAG and you should be able to find them but will have to scroll down a bit

Top Bottom