• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

sun-drop

those ign graphics scores are nuts. for the sheer size of the maps and the vast complexity to them ....i mean i would play the beta...then go play some MW2 and just sit there thinking wow ... these maps are so tiny. throw in kill streaks and no one helping each other and yr far more likely to die (and stay dead) in any given 5min period in that game imo.

TheFatOne

Sorry Raven GAF. I think that was the fifth time MAG froze on me today. I will play more some other time. Hard to level up when you can't finish games.

I was on the fence about this game after playing the beta. I felt it could have gone either way and was waiting for the reviews to help me decide. A lot of 7's wasn't what I was hoping to see and to be honest I don't but the whole 'the gaming media just don't get it' line.

Thanks for the group invite SVER GAF, but for some reason the game decided to not move me with the rest of the group into the game. Took that as a sign I should probably call it a night. :lol

theBishop

Banned
Great review of MAG. Capture the spirit of what I like about it, and mostly represented the things I don't like about it without indicting the whole game over them. Yes the graphics are grainy and lack personality, but that fades when you're looking at your buddies and getting wrapped up in the bewilderment of the warzone.

So that's MAG.

But "alongside junk like Haze and Killzone 2"?! I'm about to go apeshit in here! Killzone 2 is one of the best online shooters around right now. Haze, on the other hand, is junk.

TheFatOne

theBishop said:
Great review of MAG. Capture the spirit of what I like about it, and mostly represented the things I don't like about it without indicting the whole game over them. Yes the graphics are grainy and lack personality, but that fades when you're looking at your buddies and getting wrapped up in the bewilderment of the warzone.

So that's MAG.

But "alongside junk like Haze and Killzone 2"?! I'm about to go apeshit in here! Killzone 2 is one of the best online shooters around right now. Haze, on the other hand, is junk.

I strongly disagree with you on this one.

Kowak

Banned
OH YES, DESTROYED SVER AT DOMINATION IN UNDER 14 MINUTES

finally beat them at their own map. we were amazing. Mostly down to me although ian will try and claim the glory.

JWong

Banned
Kowak said:
OH YES, DESTROYED SVER AT DOMINATION IN UNDER 14 MINUTES

finally beat them at their own map. we were amazing. Mostly down to me although ian will try and claim the glory.
Man, I played a few raven defense domination... SVER keeps beating on us. 8(

Kowak

Banned
templeusox said:
I suppose I should be happy that my protege is not lacking for confidence.

lol, just anooyed i couldnt heal that guy at the end to make me second mvp over you.

that win makes up for the near one earlier.

edit: also what made that IOC so great, how was he coordinating??

dorkimoe

games were ending so quick tonight. they were lasting like 5-8 minutes :(

i was getting long range RPG kills trying to get the kill 5. but the game ended so soon

Kowak

Banned
dorkimoe said:
games were ending so quick tonight. they were lasting like 5-8 minutes :(

i was getting long range RPG kills trying to get the kill 5. but the game ended so soon

i know beat sver so quickly it was over in 14 minutes on domination :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

PEZIX

Banned
Kowak said:
i know beat sver so quickly it was over in 14 minutes on domination :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
ur only cool if you do it in under 10

Lan_97

The Raven beat down on SVER Domination was phenomenal.

Also, I respeced into a silenced smg, but it really didn't work out for me. After a few abysmal matches I switched back to an lmg and will spec out of smg once I have enough points again.

whitehawk

Banned
sun-drop said:
those ign graphics scores are nuts. for the sheer size of the maps and the vast complexity to them ....i mean i would play the beta...then go play some MW2 and just sit there thinking wow ... these maps are so tiny. throw in kill streaks and no one helping each other and yr far more likely to die (and stay dead) in any given 5min period in that game imo.
Size is one thing, but whenever I played this game, it felt very clunky and ugly to me. Anything from animations, to textures, to visual effects. Something about MAG feels very unpolished.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Using assault rifle, my k:d ratio was probably 1:2 at best, and I'd get about 200 to 250 points a game in domination.

Switching to the light machine gun, my k:d is about 3:1 and I get about 500 to 750 points per game.

I love mag, but the weapon balance is pretty bad. Using an assault rifle is foolhardy when the lmg's are so amazing.

renzengeki

Neo Member
thaOwner said:
What happens if you respec your character guys ?

you reset the skill points that you earned. so you can distribute them again in a different way. but whenever you respec you character the respect cost increases so be careful when you reset (respect) your character :)

TheFallen

Great SVER GAF matches tonight. MAG needs new Dom/Acq maps pronto. Can get boring playing the same few especially when so few matches vary (not many attempt alternative strategies). Though there was one SVER Acquisition map we got destroyed on.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kak.efes said:
I just lost consecutive SVER dominations, one where we were defending, even.

This feeling of failure, it's foreign to me.
:lol :lol
Just beat sver in domination...this feels so weird

Hopefully the 512-player Apocalypse Mode is going to be available as DLC, when a 4th PMC becomes available, so two PMC's can join 128-players and fight against two other PMC's on a 2 square KM map.

This obviously won't come until they release the Locked at 60 FPS patch.

/icandream

sun-drop

any idea on how much of the socom comuintiy has converted over to mag?

one thing about the most recent socom on ps3 was that every single time i hopped on to play, matches where full ..and almost every one had headsets ... would be pretty good for mag going forward if that core was present.

Das-J

Law of the West
TheFallen said:
Great SVER GAF matches tonight. MAG needs new Dom/Acq maps pronto. Can get boring playing the same few especially when so few matches vary (not many attempt alternative strategies). Though there was one SVER Acquisition map we got destroyed on.

Yeah, that was Raven GAF... we rolled you guys in 3/4 tonight and loved every minute of it! :D

gluv65 said:
The objectives are explained in the start, and each time you get a frago the screen flashes with the info as well as you get audio and oh the big ass letters flashing on the map as well should help. If you can't understand that, you are either blind or def.
Have you played domination? Do you know how many Burnoff and Cooldown towers there are on a map? How many bunkers? AA positions? Sensors? Mortars? Vehicle Stations? Do you know their various purposes in the strategy of winning Domination? Do you know which adds value to the defense more than others? Do you know what an attacker should shoot for first to shut a defense down in its tracks?

If so, just how the hell did you go about finding this out?

The game is far more than flashing blocks that you run en masse to. You follow orders blindly you die, and your faction loses. You have to put time into this game to find out not only how it works, but what actually works. For the hardcore this is exhilarating. For the casual and mainstream this is a serious investment with a few really rewarding moments.

1. I feel like the only real way to learn is to play.

2. People always want to jump in and play anyway. Zipper needs to balance losing development time for a useful feature which people won't use, or improving the features people will use.

ChryZ

theBishop said:
WTF, what a douche.

patsu

Kak.efes said:
I just lost consecutive SVER dominations, one where we were defending, even.

This feeling of failure, it's foreign to me.

I just had my first SVER Sabotage victory tonight. Can't believe Raven won. T_T

Valor beat SVER in the last domination map I played. On the SVER GAF side they never even captured the burnoff towers, but the others must have been much weaker, or facing better organized competition, because they won with something like 8 minutes left.

uhm help, I entered the PAL CE code with my account and it only downloaded the 3 themes, checked my character in the game and no 800c armor available (

Was just squad leader for the first time :D Valor win over puny SVER in domination.

I am pretty clueless at to how the leader abilities work though. Most of the match our mortar and airstrike abilities were apparently destroyed and never came back up no matter what I repaired. What do you repair to fix the airstrike?

J-Rzez

Bumblebeetuna said:
Was just squad leader for the first time :D Valor win over puny SVER in domination.

I am pretty clueless at to how the leader abilities work though. Most of the match our mortar and airstrike abilities were apparently destroyed and never came back up no matter what I repaired. What do you repair to fix the airstrike?

Take out the AA guns for airstrikes. Mortars, well, fix your mortars.

I'm noticing a different Valor now. I honestly believe that the good SVER players are going Valor, or even Raven to prove a point or something.

Once again though, I was in that game tonight where we lost on Domination. Here our side were all in the blue, on the other, all grayed out. Goes to show that it's player skill and team work that makes the difference, not the map.

sun-drop

the thing is once the best sevr players max out there stats they will go to other sides via the vet mode .. will be interesting to see if people cry unfair maps then

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:
Valor beat SVER in the last domination map I played. On the SVER GAF side they never even captured the burnoff towers, but the others must have been much weaker, or facing better organized competition, because they won with something like 8 minutes left.

That game was such bullshit.
We held down our quadrant easily and so did most of the other platoons.

But because C was held for most of the game, they won.

We probably should have went over there to help C but I was too lazy / tired to try.

I think a great strategy would be to bring 2 or 3 platoons and completely overwhelm 1 quadrant of the map, then hold a letter or 2 for the entire match. This strategy would guarantee a victory almost everytime for the attacking team. Problem is, trying to get 2 platoons to do this would be near impossible.

Argyle

Just finished a game, and got this gem in my inbox...

PRE_2010-02-02-012400.jpg

He was a shitty squad leader, but I never said anything to him except to request a res when he was standing over my corpse, which he ignored...oh well, that's part of the fun of playing with randoms.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Argyle said:
Just finished a game, and got this gem in my inbox...

[IMGhttp://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s285/ArgyleDX/PRE_2010-02-02-012400.jpg[/IMG]

He was a shitty squad leader, but I never said anything to him except to request a res when he was standing over my corpse, which he ignored...oh well, that's part of the fun of playing with randoms.
Wow... What a douchebag!

Got the game. :D

This code is sooooo much improved from the last phase of the beta I played.

Supression and Sabotage run incredibly smooth.

Also, requesting GAF SVER invite (Lagspike_exe).

Billen

Banned
Thanks for the good games yesterday, RavenGAF. Even though attacking SVER/defending Raven is painful at times the game is just so much fun, especially with a good squad. Can't even imagine looking at MW2 right now.

Edge Review is up!

6/10

The game itself will bed down too as players get used to the poorly enunciated demands of each level, and Zipper Interactive patch out the game’s fair number of glitches, oddities and inconveniences. Whether enough players will buy headsets to guarantee an efficient force made up of strangers is another matter. But with its robust clan support MAG still offers a cooperative experience on a rare scale for bands of dedicated players willing to weather the unnecessary confusions and ungenerous structure of the early game. For the rest, MAG rarely deals out the empowerment and clarity of purpose that other team shooters, like the forthcoming Battlefield: Bad Company 2, offer from the get go. It’s not quite ‘welcome to the suck’, but gamers may wonder if MAG’s a battle worth fighting

Top Bottom