• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Wes

venison crêpe
darkwing said:
lols 128 SVER soldiers posing for a picture

http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/message?board.id=generaldiscussion&thread.id=232781

http://www.eclipsehome.com/mag1281.jpg[/img]
http://www.eclipsehome.com/mag1282.jpg[/img]
http://www.eclipsehome.com/mag1283.jpg[/img]
http://www.eclipsehome.com/mag1284.jpg[/img]
http://www.eclipsehome.com/mag1285.jpg[/img]
http://www.eclipsehome.com/mag1286.jpg[/img]

Well they can afford do that because it's not likely anyone is going to beat them on that map are they lolz

seantos

Neo Member
The entire time I am reading this thread I am having flashbacks to the Wow forums when the Alterac Valley battleground was first brought in. Every time they brought in changes to balance the map the advantage would swing one way or the other. In the end I think its just easier to have symmetric maps, even if they aren't as interesting.

andycapps

theBishop said:
On SVER's sabotage map, I'm a big believer in smoke. My favorite strategy (taking B) is to go around the left side of the left building. You've got a cover area right there (set the rally point), then throw smoke and work your way to the trailer. That will provide cover for you to group up. Usually you'll find a guy or two here, and possibly a sniper in a nearby tower. If your squad is decent, you can get 3 or 4 people here. Throw smoke at the stairs, and sprint for it.

Is there some way we can get high res top-down maps for all the different levels? That would be useful for annotating.

Wonder if the Zipper guys that post here have anything that they could post.. That would definitely be good for strategies. Hopefully some of Raven GAF will be on tonight before or after 24 so I can get some games in.

That's what's cool about this game is that it literally feels like you're taking place in a battle and that each person has their role.

ibu

Some wonderful games there with the SVER folk.

Tempted to come back on later, but I got an early start so may have to wait until tomorrow evening now.

First day in and I am loving it, played it in total for a couple of hours and the shooting is good and I like the way things pan out.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
AstroMan said:
From looking at the in-game population and scores based on PMCs, it looks like this:

-SVER
-Valor
-Raven

Raven is greatly outnumbered. but Valor and SVER are kinda close.
That's because most MAG players are a bunch of pansies!

ESPECIALLY GAFe. :p

andycapps

Inanna said:
That's because most MAG players are a bunch of pansies!

ESPECIALLY GAFe. :p

True, however, I wonder how up to date the stats are from in-game. On the MAG blog, there's a poll asking what PMC people roll with. Raven is winning and the poll has over 28k users. So.. who knows. Definitely on GAF most people have assumed that SVER is the way to go long term.

andycapps said:
True, however, I wonder how up to date the stats are from in-game. On the MAG blog, there's a poll asking what PMC people roll with. Raven is winning and the poll has over 28k users. So.. who knows. Definitely on GAF most people have assumed that SVER is the way to go long term.

no one "assumed" anything. I chose SVER because I like them, color, background etc.

As someone pointed out the PMCs are pretty much evened out.

Kak.efes

Hellsing321 said:
The accuracy of LMG needs to be reduced greatly when not prone. Right now there is no reason to choose an AR over an LMG.

Have you never used the grenade launcher? Nothing scatters a group of defenders near a bunker quicker. I'm specced for both end tier LMG, and AR, so I enjoy the variety in gameplay. I still personally prefer the AR, as it's a great medium to long range weapon, and more than holds it's own in close quarters, especially with the launcher.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheFallen said:
I was with Raven for the entire Open Beta. I'd say the IGN tourney too, but that doesn't matter, there were no domination matches. I played alongside of you, and I think I was the one who invited you to Raven GAF iirc.

The maps play a small part to the issue at hand. It's definitely not a weapon issue. Raven and Valor have an advantage there. There's a mindset difference going on with the PMCs. Raven players seem to prefer the lonewolf method. Whether it is sniping or just simply attacking alone, they don't cooperate as easily as the other two PMCs. I'm sure many other players have realized this by now. A lot of players over there will attempt to take on SVER/Valor solo. Pay attention to this on the SVER SABO map. A lot of the playerbase approaches the match as if there's an impenetrable defense and attempts to go solo with indirect routes. I noticed this when I played Raven and I don't see this happening with SVER at all.

Even on those matches where Raven (or even Valor) gets pushed back closer to their spawn, they'll just decide to start sniping instead of working together. Some will even outright leave the match. Yet it's rare to see anyone even attempt to go down the middle train tracks and go around SVER. Most of the time A has poor defense with all of the players attempting to take you guys on as you come up the side. If they bothered to take a different route, they'd likely see more success. But nope, they quickly devolve into worrying about their k/d rather than the objective.

It's already come and gone. Did you forget the weapon nerfs they received in the betas? Try comparing the weapons for once (particular the LMGs).
Yes, it works both ways. See, I was with SVER most of the beta (each phase except open beta). I had two accounts for both factions and I played them both to rank 60 a few times. TRUST me SVER diehard random players are even worse. I'd see 3 or 4 guys in my squad (almost every game) just fucking around but guess what? We'd still win. I see TONS of snipers and lonewolves on SVER maps, much MUCH more than Raven. Even on Raven sab map, there are at least 5 snipers near their spawn in the jungle.

TheFallen said:
It's funny that you mention I'm making ridiculous claims. Yet you're arguing that SVER is at an advantage on all maps and all modes. That image showcased 1 map advantage. SVER is winning BIG in all modes, right? Last I recall there are 3 maps per mode. Where's that SVER advantage on the other maps? SVER is at a disadvantage on those maps with the weaker weapons.
Weaker weapons? Lol wat? They HAD weaker weapons at first but after getting tons of complaints zipper made them stronger. It was even mentioned in one of their interview videos on PS blog...

Lince said:
faith in humanity restored, <3 Zipper

now start working on clan wars matchmaking, we need to sort this SVER bullshit in a direct face off against Valor and Raven GAF.
Face off is going to sort this... how? *confused*

Valor GAF vs Raven GAF should be interesting though.

andycapps said:
Oh that poll is extremely old. It's likely that most people that rolled Raven at launch switched to SVER because of the automatic win button.

Kak.efes said:
Have you never used the grenade launcher? Nothing scatters a group of defenders near a bunker quicker. I'm specced for both end tier LMG, and AR, so I enjoy the variety in gameplay. I still personally prefer the AR, as it's a great medium to long range weapon, and more than holds it's own in close quarters, especially with the launcher.
Not high enough level. I don't think I've played with anyone who was yet either. Early on it seems the LMG is the way to go and if you're using that early on you're more than likely to be speccing that out over the AR.

phinious

So Ive been playing for like 2 hours as Raven. Just bought the game. I have only hit lvl 3 and have yet to win a match. I dunno what gives, but losing all the time is pretty boring. Maybe Raven just sucks? I bought the med kit first, but its hard finding people that are just hurt and not dead. I think I have been resuscitated about 3 times, even though I stay with my squad and have died like 60 times....

Hate to say it, but I may have to trade this back in while its still worth some $$$

Well after playing the beta, and not being super impressed, I read the thread here and picked it up over the weekend. Now, I'm impressed. I love that fact that even though I don't get that many kills per round I'm still useful as a team member.

Either way this has replaced MW2 for me for now. Also, for some reason this is the first time I've been comfortable playing a FPS on the PS3 controller.

Either way, it's clicking with me. And yes I'm in easy mode (SVER) and joining the clan tonight.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
phinious said:
So Ive been playing for like 2 hours as Raven. Just bought the game. I have only hit lvl 3 and have yet to win a match. I dunno what gives, but losing all the time is pretty boring. Maybe Raven just sucks? I bought the med kit first, but its hard finding people that are just hurt and not dead. I think I have been resuscitated about 3 times, even though I stay with my squad and have died like 60 times....

Hate to say it, but I may have to trade this back in while its still worth some $$$
Join Raven GAF.

andycapps

phinious said:

What others said, join Raven GAF and you will probably change your tune.

grendelrt

phinious said:

I am on Raven and in the matches I have played its like 60/40 winning. I dont like winning all the time, it would get boring as hell, I like a challenge. The best is when it comes down to the last second, win or lose hehe.

phinious

Yeah Im just waiting for a Raven GAF invite. You guys are right though. I just had my first win and I am already liking it way more. With a competent group its way more fun.

I wonder if it'll be fun if Zipper play around with the number of people per sides. for example, instead of 128 vs 128 where SVER has the map advantage, maybe try making 96 SVER defending vs 160 player attacking.

I want to see more object variation than just attacking and defending rather than new maps imo

wizword

Banned
6.5 graphics :lol :lol :lol :lol. What are they comparing it to Crysis. I need to buy this game from all the beta I played but I can't imagine the graphics are horrible seeing how good MAG looked in the beta. College sucks. The game doesn't look bad and am surprised by how many people are saying otherwise.

Wes

venison crêpe
There's hardly any point attacking SVER maps with randoms at the moment. Only time I've ever broken through is with GAF.

phinious said:
Yeah Im just waiting for a Raven GAF invite. You guys are right though. I just had my first win and I am already liking it way more. With a competent group its way more fun.

PM me your psn name.

hyduK

Banned
IGN said:
Approaching a stationary vehicle from the front poses the risk of the server registering you as being run over. Bodies freeze and twitch in the middle of the battlefield. Rubberbanding from server lag is uncommon, but still happens, and in one instance we were entirely unable to respawn. The only solution I was able to find was to exit the game and re-queue. The rocket launcher also has a nasty habit of inexplicably blowing up the user, or bouncing off of the target. I shot a helicopter from about ten feet away and had the rocket ricochet off and explode on the ground below.

IGN said:
My complaint is that, due to their dominance, players are deleting their Raven and Valor characters and joining the winning team. As a result, most matches are S.V.E.R versus Raven, and S.V.E.R versus Valor. Rarely is it ever Raven versus Valor. This means that S.V.E.R – who were already winning most of their matches – was now also playing many more matches than either of the other PMCs, and as a result, their victories were compounding. Naturally, S.V.E.R is almost always the highest scoring PMC, giving them the passive rewards and making it even easier for them to win. In essence, S.V.E.R is slowly snowballing into an unbeatable juggernaut, and the other two PMCs can do little to curb the growing imbalance

IGN said:
Finally, there simply isn't much content here. There are three maps total which are shared between the game types and, although they're very large, you're always attacking on two and defending on one (depending on your faction). I wish I could say that, at $60 for the game, you're guaranteed to get plenty of free content added, but Zipper hasn't commented on how it'll support MAG, and are under no obligation to fork out freebies.

Color me disappointed if this is all true. Then again, I guess I shouldn't expect much from Zipper.

NeoUltima said:
Game is not casual friendly, Sver dominates. 7.0 /ign
I agree with that review entirely. Well OK, except for one bit:

"Objectives aren't really explained all that well"

That is far, far too kind. They aren't explained at fucking all.

This is a hardcore game, for hardcore players and clans. The learning curve is beyond steep, the maps are unbalanced, and it requires significant investment to get any enjoyment out of. But you get what you put into it, and there isn't another game out there on the consoles like MAG. If you dig Planetside, this game will feed that itch and then some, without the monthly fee.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
hyduK said:
Color me disappointed if this is all true. Then again, I guess I shouldn't expect much from Zipper.
I agree.

Wait... I never thought I'd see the day when I would actually agree with an IGN review. :lol

NullPointer said:

This is a hardcore game, for hardcore players and clans. The learning curve is beyond steep, the maps are unbalanced, and it requires significant investment to get any enjoyment out of. But you get what you put into it, and there isn't another game out there on the consoles like MAG. If you dig Planetside, this game will feed that itch and then some, without the monthly fee.

The objectives are explained in the start, and each time you get a frago the screen flashes with the info as well as you get audio and oh the big ass letters flashing on the map as well should help. If you can't understand that, you are either blind or def.

Kittonwy

Banned
I haz it now. Not sure when I'll start playing though.
Indifferent2.gif

NullPointer said:

I can certainly see the lack of maps becoming a bit of a bore in the near future, but now that I have ( somewhat ) gotten a grip on the game-modes, this game is starting to shine.

The thing is, I don't care if my team is being bombarded by SVER ( I work for RavenGAF ). Yes, we lose about 8/10 matches against SVER, but I'm having so much fun - especially with a full GAF-squad - that I don't mind the results.

MAG just tickles me the right way.

Oh, and thanks for the matches tonight, RavenGAF. :)

TheFatOne

Lé Blade Runner said:
I can certainly see the lack of maps becoming a bit of a bore in the near future, but now that I have ( somewhat ) gotten a grip on the game-modes, this game is starting to shine.

The thing is, I don't care if my team is being bombarded by SVER ( I work for RavenGAF ). Yes, we lose about 8/10 matches against SVER, but I'm having so much fun - especially with a full GAF-squad - that I don't mind the results.

MAG just tickles me the right way.

Oh, and thanks for the matches tonight, RavenGAF. :)

What is the point of playing when you can't win? The more I play MAG the more disappointed I become. So many little things are adding up. The SVER maps are beyond ridiculous at this point. I would say 70% of the people who are currently playing have no clue what they are doing. Zipper has done a fantastic job at explaining the game to new players. I mean they have one tutorial on basic movement. Once a player has that figured out he knows how to do everything in the game .

Unless you roll with a GAF squad you will see very little team work. The most frustrating part is that you could hold down a certain part of the map, but the other squads can completely screw you over because they have no clue what they are doing.

NullPointer said:

This. It's basically mind-boggling that the various modes don't have some sort of interactive tutorial or training mission.

That IGN review is actually pretty fair. I'm really loving MAG (helps rolling VALOR, best of the best) but it's definetly not for everyone.

Loudninja

gluv65 said:
The objectives are explained in the start, and each time you get a frago the screen flashes with the info as well as you get audio and oh the big ass letters flashing on the map as well should help. If you can't understand that, you are either blind or def.

Really I had no problem from the little time I played in the beta.

renzengeki

Neo Member
well that ign review really did surprise me. that score is like waaay too low. at least give it a 8.5 i think. for me the graphics are good. but the smoke and explosion effects are lame. but the environment are really detailed and has nice textures. anyway i got invited to RAVEN GAF and had a few games w/ 2 other GAF members. it was fun and i think it was the 1st time i won a sabotage match (defending) =)) and we also won a acquisition match. our sqaud leader was telling us to protect the "sensor array" <--- sorry for the noob question but im not really sure what the sensor array does. im guessing its for the radar? the game is really fun when you got teamwork and helping each other to do the objectives. after a few games. i decided to respec my character for the 2nd time to get that resuscitation skill. because i noticed sticking w/ your squad and reviving fallen allies is really important to win in this game.

Nightz

Sorry to the guys I was playing with in Raven. I had no idea what in the world was going on with my game. It took forever to load up, then when I got in people were floating around, I apparently died but I was still running around with the bleed out option in front of me. Then when I really died, I got stuck waiting to deploy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ep-sGkYwDo

Das-J

Law of the West
Anerythristic said:
Hey check out what the guys at Zipper sent me, when they heard about my health issue...THANKS DAS-J and crew. I honestly really appreciate it. It made me feel great.

100_4904.jpg

Sweet man, glad you got it! :D

But I don't want to hear any "I fell off my Segway and desperately need a signed MAG copy to feel better" from you S.V.E.R. folks! :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Nightz said:
Sorry to the guys I was playing with in Raven. I had no idea what in the world was going on with my game. It took forever to load up, then when I got in people were floating around, I apparently died but I was still running around with the bleed out option in front of me. Then when I really died, I got stuck waiting to deploy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ep-sGkYwDo
Were you choosing your loadout? Your spawn is disabled in that mode

Nightz

Corran Horn said:
Were you choosing your loadout? Your spawn is disabled in that mode
The video shows that I was choosing a loadout, but I wasn't. The game was stuck on one of my loadouts, but when I would press left and right it would alternate between choose loadout and select spawn location. I couldn't get out of that screen.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Nightz said:
The video shows that I was choosing a loadout, but I wasn't. The game was stuck on one of my loadouts, but when I would press left and right it would alternate between choose loadout and select spawn location. I couldn't get out of that screen.
Ugh... happened to me a few times during beta. It's really annoying!

Wes

venison crêpe
I want to see some real win/loss stats on the "Shadow War" rather than measuring how things are going by an aributary bar.

KZObsessed

6.5 for graphics is bullshit, I was actually thinking the other day just how good the game looks. And the domination maps are huge, with a lot of variety. The game looks great. I agree with some of the complaints, but the game is great when playing with friends. Playing in an 8 man SVER group is just awesome. I think an 8.0 overall would be much fairer than a 7.0. Not that it matters, I'm enjoying it.

Kittonwy said:
I haz it now. Not sure when I'll start playing though.
Indifferent2.gif

We reserved a place for you in SVER. Come join your U2/KZ2 buddies. (don't listen to anyone else's lies...)

Playing with randoms in this game is almost unbearable and I am not an elitist at all. Loss after loss, then you get together with even a few clammates and the game goes much better. Getting a good team of randoms is like gambling.

From the IGN Review >
This is where my first major complaint with the game begins, and it's a doozy. Now, perhaps it was a complete fluke. Perhaps several groups of skilled players had organized prior to the launch to join S.V.E.R. and tear it up. Or, and this is what I fear, there is an imbalance in the strength of the S.V.E.R gear, that, although extremely slight, gives them an edge over the other two PMCs, because since day one S.V.E.R has been completely dominating in every single game type (I later deleted my Valor character specifically to test out S.V.E.R. and, through my own personal observation, even at lower levels I noticed I was more successful at getting kills and winning matches).

What could it be!? It's almost frustrating me. I played with a former SVER play who deleted his character and switched to Valor last night that was noticing the same exact thing and making mention of it. Finding out exactly what it is is important, because a "fix" of the wrong thing isn't a fix at all.

FFObsessed said:
6.5 for graphics is bullshit, I was actually thinking the other day just how good the game looks. And the domination maps are huge, with a lot of variety. The game looks great. I agree with some of the complaints, but the game is great when playing with friends. Playing in an 8 man SVER group is just awesome. I think an 8.0 overall would be much fairer than a 7.0. Not that it matters, I'm enjoying it.

We reserved a place for you in SVER. Come join your U2/KZ2 buddies. (don't listen to anyone else's lies...)

I agree about the graphics, especially Alaska, it almost looks like the bullshots imo. SVERs maps arent very good looking but Alaska and South America look great, and like you said they are HUGE.

Cagen

Wes said:
SVERgaf, can you tell us how anyone ever manages to cap A in Sabo?

Use the train tracks, have a whole squad go down the tracks and into the train tunnel. You can walk right up to A and cap it without SVER even knowing while they are dicking about at your spawn. With a squad at A you shouldn't lose it.

Top Bottom