• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

I would like to see a simple 1cmc blue instant that prevents etb effects from triggering. How good would that be?
40.jpg

(Card is good, but not broken.)

ultron87

Stifle would be pretty fun to see.

Though I doubt they'd want people's hypothetical Theros Fetchlands getting Stifled in Standard.

Yup. Only 3 nonbasics in m14.

Huh. I guess that debunks what my friend was trying to tell me. I guess it could have been an uncut Theros sheet he was looking at, but he never made good on his promise to show us those pictures he had so I don't know.

And I wouldn't mind a 1 cmc Stifle that excluded lands for this Standard season with a proper Stifle reprint down the road.

kirblar

Huh. I guess that debunks what my friend was trying to tell me. I guess it could have been an uncut Theros sheet he was looking at, but he never made good on his promise to show us those pictures he had so I don't know.

And I wouldn't mind a 1 cmc Stifle that excluded lands for this Standard season with a proper Stifle reprint down the road.
The "span count" isn't exactly reliable, though. But fetches are almost certainly coming soon-ish, thanks to MaRo.

Jaeyden

No he runs Patriot Games, Travelling Man is a comic shop chain. I normally play at FNM and the weekends which are a bit more active at Travelling Man.

Ahh, ok. Well, £150 sounds fair to me. Way better than the £240 I saw Madhouse pre selling em for. LOL

JulianImp

I would like to see a simple 1cmc blue instant that prevents etb effects from triggering. How good would that be?

Then again, there's Torpor Orb from New Phyrexia.

Now that I think about it, I guess there could be a card that does the opposite and duplicates all ETB triggers your permanents trigger. It'd probably be all kinds of broken unless it asked for mana or some other kind of payment to copy your triggers, though.

There's no way MM is going to be worthwhile at the prices it's going for.

Just wait for the hype to blow over post-release and buy singles. See Commander's Arsenal for details.

Also it's pretty fucking stupid for them to push Modern Masters as a draftable set unless they release some remotely sensible quantities of this set. It's set up to lead to a large amount of feel-bad drafting (or, lead to disappointing "guess I'm not drafting this shit", as people realize the costs).

bigkrev

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

(Card's miserable- it's counterspell for 2/3rds of the game. The "drawback" doesn't matter to tempo strategies.)

I actually think Mana Leak is better in the modern magic world than Counterspell would be. 3-4 color decks should not reliably have a counterspell on turn 2-3

Jaeyden

I pre-orderd a box at MSRP about two months ago. If I can get another one at MSRP I'll be happy. I didn't play from 8th to Alara so this set is full of goodies for me. All my modern decks have been built from single I've bought, so I'm super excited to get this set and start some brewing.

kirblar

One of has to be Mutavault, right? It fits so well with Slivers... Or is it too complex for core set?

Also, thank the Magic deities that Scavenging Ooze is rare and not mythic.
Mutavault's a perfect card- especially since it doesn't have Changeling (thanks, Layers!) and since they've been in the Core Set before.

kirblar

So this is the first core set without two color lands?

Thats a way to mix things up even if its for a little while
If it's what they've actually done, it makes sense. Block Constructed needs complete 10-cycles of lands, so pushing them to Expert Expansions helps correct that issue.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If it's what they've actually done, it makes sense. Block Constructed needs complete 10-cycles of lands, so pushing them to Expert Expansions helps correct that issue.

I totally agree. Smart move, if that's the case. New players (the main audience for core sets, according to them) hate opening lands. This solves several small issues quite nicely.

That feeling when you accidentally right-click in the wrong spot on MTGO and make your entire collection tradeable by accident.

Well, I know what I'm doing for the next fifteen minutes now.

nightwing59

Neo Member
I think Grand Colluseum is the choice over City, because of the strange wording on City having it damage you if an opponent twiddles it.

But that would make you play the gates instead

But you do have a point it would be weird some one pinging you with ral zarek

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60090397]So if I have two Chronomatons in play, can I use the tap ability of one to buff the other?

Its ability -

tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on Chronomaton.[/QUOTE]

No. Whenever a card says its name on some rules text, it is usually equivalent to "THIS CARD", not "all cards named THIS", unless it specifically says so.

For the latter, you're looking for some wording like the second half of Myr Servitor:
Image.ashx

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60090397]So if I have two Chronomatons in play, can I use the tap ability of one to buff the other?

Its ability -

If a card references its own name, it's always only referencing itself. If it let you do it to another creature with the same name, it would say "Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature named Chronomaton."

kirblar

Its ability -

You really want Steel Overseer instead. :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, my brother thought Goblin Balloon Brigade was the best card ever for the longest time because as printed it reads "Goblins gain flying until end of turn"

sgjackson

Is it kosher to post drafts here in order to get help from other players? Just got yet another 2-1 in a Swiss and I'm looking for some help because I felt like my deck was pretty good.

sgjackson

No, we only post bad beat stories in here. ;)

Just kidding - go for it!

It's on you, then!

Just 2-1'd a Swiss with this.

mdG22bQ.png

I'd post the draft on here but for some reason I had the draft recorder off on this computer. Just remedied that for next time.

I feel like I could have 3-0'd if my mana was a little less awkward and I played tighter. Aetherling wasn't as good as it usually is because it was really hard to have three blue up and I ran it into removal a few times. Obviously I got it p1p1 and tried forcing blue, but it got cut SUPER hard - I didn't see any noteworthy blue or Simic (second pick was Krasis Incubation) pack two outside of the first pack having a Drakewing Krasis. At the end of pack 2 I was getting super late Killing Glare and Balustrade Spy, so I mulliganed into Golgari and hoped I could pull it together in pack three. Opening Desecration Demon helped, but I didn't pull it together in terms of fixing. The pick I regretted most was going Metropolis Sprite over Simic Guildgate, as I feel like if I'd gotten that Gate and a relevant cluestone or keyrune my fixing would have been good enough to win the draft.

Won round one 2-0 against a bad Azorius deck (the nice thing about Swiss is that the bad players are really bad, so you usually get a pack out of the deal unless you totally tank), lost round two 2-1 to a Bant deck that dropped Trostani's Summoner both games, which I just didn't have an answer to. He also Angelic Edicted Aetherling game 2, which I was tanking on to try to get the third island to protect it. It probably would have won me that game if I'd played around removal better. Won round three 2-1 against a Naya deck that felt like it didn't come together and I rolled over pretty easy - the loss came from having a hand full of basically all my blue cards and not drawing an island the whole game.

What else was in your pool?

Skaarg Goliath seems super greedy, but the rest of the deck seems pretty good.

It also looks like you may have made the mistake that I always find myself making: taking sweet cards instead of guildgates in a three-color deck when I'm already tracking to have enough playables.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea running 3 colours with a bunch of different double colour mana spells across your 3 colours with only 1 gate for fixing is not going to end well.

In other words you've got:

3 double green spells
1 double blue
2 double black

Yet your mana pool is 6G/7B/5U. That's going to leave you with a lot of dead cards in hand most of the time.

sgjackson

What else was in your pool?

Skaarg Goliath seems super greedy, but the rest of the deck seems pretty good.

It also looks like you may have made the mistake that I always find myself making: taking sweet cards instead of guildgates in a three-color deck when I'm already tracking to have enough playables.

Yea running 3 colours with a bunch of different double colour mana spells across your 3 colours with only 1 gate for fixing is not going to end well.

In other words you've got:

3 double green spells
1 double blue
2 double black

Yet your mana pool is 6G/7B/5U. That's going to leave you with a lot of dead cards in hand most of the time.

Sideboard:
ZaKvJkj.png

Yeah, fixing was my weakness here. It wasn't as bad as I expected - Gatecreeper Vine helped smooth out my mana quite a bit, and really bad mana only cost me one game - but I wish I'd gone into green/black/splash Aetherling earlier so my mana wouldn't be as awkward. Maybe then I'd have grabbed the relevant gates/mana artifacts more quickly. This is an instance where I wish I could post the draft to see where you would have gone differently, as opening Aetherling really made me want to be blue, which just wasn't happening, and my mana ended up being awkward because of it.

I think Skaarg was ok, though. He won the one game I drew him in, and in my losses he was usually an out I was drawing to. My solid removal/tempo usually made games run long, and 9 points of damage out of nowhere would have been enough to pull out the win.

Yeah, the Gatecreeper is good. You probably overvalued Aetherling. Since you didn't make a base blue deck, you just have to consider Aethering as a value creature, and not necessarily warp your entire game plan for it.

I would have considered playing the Dangerous half of Armed // Dangerous, or at least made sure to bring it out of the side for grindy board-stall matchups. I'm also greedy, and probably would have played the Shambleshark. Probably to my detriment. :)

And yes - Trostani's Summoner is a bomb. It's almost impossible for any deck to beat that.

Speaking of which: my final DGR draft before taking my family on vacation (so no more drafting for a few weeks) took down an 8-4. And it was greedy as all get out; I wanted my last draft to be a memorable one either way.

ilWHKsM.png

I also got to play in the second round against a regular streamer and sometimes guest on the Limited Resources podcast: Kenji.

http://www.twitch.tv/numotthenummy/b/409986814?t=3h50m54s

He had a sick Naya deck with Trostani's Summoner. It was really interesting for me to see one of my games from an opponent's perspective; to see where my opponent thought his draws were bad when I thought they were pretty good, how he viewed the gamestate versus how I viewed the gamestate, etc. And how close games that felt like blowouts actually were. And of course, it's always amusing to see that your opponents really do react the way you hope they do when you drop a bomb :)

I also didn't realize until watching his stream just how slow I apparently play!

Top Bottom