• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Jaeyden

Just got 2 boxes with a couple other friends. My 12 have yielded these notables.

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

FOIL
Image.ashx

Plus 2
Image.ashx

Some vivids plus the rest of the fun junk.

Quite happy with it. We had a ton of fun tonight.

kirblar

My pickup needs are

4x Glimmervoid
4x Ravager
4x Goyf

and 4x Blood Moon, cause the black borders are amazing. (Should have sold mine last week at SCG.)

Jaeyden

We played sealed. Only three of us bought the boxes so it was easier to get cards back to owners. Was cool to see the decks built, Fairies were strong with Oona and Kira in the same deck doing a lot of cleaning up. Other fun stuff, we had a Kiki-Jikki /Pestermite win.

Crocodile

Thanks for the response Haly.

I searched the keywords in the Modern Masters set and tallied up the numbers. This includes any cards that relates or can benefit the keyword.

Entwine: 4 - G/W
Suspend: 16 - W/U/R/B/G/C(oloress)
Evoke: 5 - W/U/G
Persist: 4 - U/G/W/R/B
Prowl: 3 - U/B
Basic landcycling: 5 - W/U/R/B/G
Splice: 5 - U/B/R
Retrace: 4 - W/B/G
Dredge: 5 - B/G/L(and)
Split Second: 6 - W/U/R/B/G
Modular: 4 - C
Sunburst: 4 - C

Each mechanic is presented pretty evenly. With so many to choose from, I assume drafting for your mechanic should be easier as you'll run into less of a chance of others choosing the same one imo.

Most of those mechanics aren't linear/build around though. Persist, Split Second, Entwine Evoke and Cycling are mostly value mechanics. Dredge, Splice, Modular (in the context of a heavy artifact deck), Sunburst, Prowl (or any tribal deck), Storm are all build-arounds. Retrace and Suspend are also value mechanics but have increased utility within the Dredge and Storm deck respectively. When looking at draft archetypes, focus on color-pairings more than the mechanics. Though there will of course more draftable decks that just the ones I list belong, the color pairs are oriented towards the following axes:

U/W: Artifacts Matter
B/W: Rebels
U/B: Faeries/Rogues
U/R: Arcane Matters
R/B: Goblins
G/B: Dredge
R/G: Storm (with support from Suspend)
R/W: Giants
G/W: Tokens
U/G: Ramp/Sunburst

It's a great sign of a healthy playerbase in my area, but there were zero boxes of Modern Masters available in any of the 7 stores in my area. Some of the stores held back 3 boxes for drafting this weekend. But I've been trying to secure a box for a couple months now and no one had any for sale.

The R/G storm deck seems to be about timing multiple suspend cards to go off the same turn. (i.e., really weird.)

Also, splicing Desperate Ritual onto things. I think you draft Arcane, and sometimes fall into Storm from there. Ideally you draft Empty and you just aim for a storm of 7 or something; I don't think it's possible to get so nuts that you can actually Grapeshot.

An-Det

We cracked half a box before I left my lgs tonight, split between simply opening and doing sealed pack games, plus there were two different team drafts about to fire. From what we saw the set is loads of fun for limited.

An-Det

Nah it's Friday. We were there for team drafts for the others to prepare for Providence, so we were opening them at the turn of midnight.

rCIZZLE

Just found out that westfield comics place who was taking modern masters preorders doesn't think they're going to be able to fill all of them... even the ones that they have collected money from already. I wish Wizards would directly sell all the limited print stuff from a single retailer like Amazon.

y2dvd

Most of those mechanics aren't linear/build around though. Persist, Split Second, Entwine Evoke and Cycling are mostly value mechanics. Dredge, Splice, Modular (in the context of a heavy artifact deck), Sunburst, Prowl (or any tribal deck), Storm are all build-arounds. Retrace and Suspend are also value mechanics but have increased utility within the Dredge and Storm deck respectively. When looking at draft archetypes, focus on color-pairings more than the mechanics. Though there will of course more draftable decks that just the ones I list belong, the color pairs are oriented towards the following axes:

U/W: Artifacts Matter
B/W: Rebels
U/B: Faeries/Rogues
U/R: Arcane Matters
R/B: Goblins
G/B: Dredge
R/G: Storm (with support from Suspend)
R/W: Giants
G/W: Tokens
U/G: Ramp/Sunburst

Thanks for the tips. I will try to keep this in mind if I draft.

Can't wait to get off work and draft some MM.

My LGS kept a box to open and stock some singles. One of the guys there pulled a Knight of Reliquary and Foil Figure of Destiny in the same pack. Other notables included Sarkhan Vol, Cryptic Command, Bad Moon, Kira, Maelstrom Pulse, playsets of Lava Spike and Rift Bolt, a couple Lightning Helixes and Kitchen Finks.

OnPoint

Getting my box later at 250. Not bad, not great. Definitely gonna try and find a box to set aside for the future.

Expecting to pull nothing but poop honestly. I really hope I get a Bob or a Goyf, but there are so many other goodies that I'm bound to get SOMETHING

Takuan

Yes, but its an auction.

It's also a new seller, which means people may be a bit more hesitant to buy. This could benefit fifa, since there's no risk to him financially if the seller bails or doesn't ship thanks to eBay's pro-buyer policies.

@Jaeyden Man, that's a great box. I was going to say that your buddies must have felt shafted, but you're looking at a pretty solid split, if not an even one. I would never personally split a box with anyone unless we've agreed to split value.

$250 a box for MM (ebay) seems to set up some potentially very disappointing opens.

I'm not really thrilled with the decision to clog 5 of the mythic slots with the Kamigawa dragons which aren't remotely Modern staples, and two of which no one really cares about at all.

Lucario

weeeeeelp.

foil SWoL&S, kiki, shackles, two doubling seasons, foil gifts ungiven, cryptic command, kira, 2x spell snare, glimmervoid, engineered explosives, blinkmoth, glen elendra, and tons of $5~ stuff from my box -- I got it for ~$185. Not bad, except it's all crashing like hell on tcgplayer right now.

Honestly, I don't expect that to last. Pick up your $95 goyfs while you still can. The only major fall, oddly enough, is glimmervoid -- went from like $20 tcgplayer mid to a kind of shocking $8, when other rares like doubling season saw little/no movement in price. Kind of weird.

kirblar

Really wish I hadn't gotten Blinkmoths (picked up 3x at $8 each and a 4th at 10) right before the set came out. Thought it was confirmed out when I grabbed it. New art is so pretty.

There's some very interesting race-to-the-bottoming happening with the regular rares.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bob, Sword of Light and Shadow, Progenitus, Foil City of Brass, aether vial, revillark, knight if the reliquary, gifts, blood moon, loam, tooth and nail and keiga and jugan were my pulls.

Pretty happy!

Exokell

Banned
hello magic gaf, new here. Anyway I play magic at MODO or MTGO. Cant wait for the release of Modern Masters, do you guys think goyf will lower in price?

OnPoint

Feel like I got kinda punked in my two boxes. I know it's mostly because I didn't get a Bob or a 'Goyf, but for two boxes, I don't know.

Mythics were totally middle of the road. On the good side got a Clique, Kokusho and 2X Sword of Fire and Ice. Also got two Ryusei like two packs away from each other. Same fucking box. Really kind of pissed me off. Those dragons should never have been included.

Otherwise we did pretty alright, I guess. 2X Doubling Season, Aether Vial, Arcbound Ravager, Blinkmoth Nexus, Blood Moon, foil Glimmervoid (probably the only valuable foil), Kira, Pact of Negation, 2X Tombstalker (one foil). Then again, the rest of our rares were terrible.

Buyer's remorse I guess lol

Lucario

Buying these boxes made 0 sense at the inflated prices.

Yeah. I only payed a few bucks over retail and got a fairly insane box, and I still feel like I could just walk into a store and get it for under 200 with tax in a week or so. I just had store credit saved up.

that said, every pack is christmas. I was so excited I couldn't sleep, which isn't really normal for magic product :p

kirblar

Yeah. I only payed a few bucks over retail and got a fairly insane box, and I still feel like I could just walk into a store and get it for under 200 with tax in a week or so. I just had store credit saved up.

that said, every pack is christmas. I was so excited I couldn't sleep, which isn't really normal for magic product :p
My local shop is doing $50 sealed, which should be fun.

rCIZZLE

Pulled a foil blue pact in the msrp draft tonight. It's $30 days are definitely numbered but it was nice to get a decent pull after getting screwed out of a box.

Jaeyden

Yeah. I only payed a few bucks over retail and got a fairly insane box, and I still feel like I could just walk into a store and get it for under 200 with tax in a week or so. I just had store credit saved up. that said, every pack is christmas. I was so excited I couldn't sleep, which isn't really normal for magic product :p

This. Almost all of my play group never played most of these cards, so we have all been very happy with the cards we are getting. Tomorrow morning we are drafting and getting a good value (15 pounds a draft) and Monday our pre-orders are coming in (two more boxes). We netted an incredible amount of value from our first two boxes and fingers crossed we'll get more next week. The dragons are obviously a bit disappointing but they are ok for EDH fodder so like everyone else we'll drop em in our binders and see if they eventually find a home.

Gonna be a great next few days. :)

Jaeyden

@Jaeyden Man, that's a great box. I was going to say that your buddies must have felt shafted, but you're looking at a pretty solid split, if not an even one. I would never personally split a box with anyone unless we've agreed to split value.

Just saw this and yes I agree. Having been on the shafting end of a few box splits, we actually had agreed on an amicable way to spread things out prior but it worked out quite well for us in the end. We split the box first stack on left plus 4 from top of middle = 12 boosters (left to right) then the rest and flipped a coin. Was I thinking ...ughhh when he cracked Goyf? Yes. But my half made me incredibly happy so I think it went perfectly for us.

I've seen a few boxes revealed now and I think that if you don't have any of these cards then this set is pure value for you and you should buy boxes and chase away. If you have most of these cards then draft one or two times, have some fun and chase a few big money cards. You'll always get your value in trades eventually. We did a couple of sealed games just to break the ice last night but drafting will be fun hopefully...guaranteed it's straight rare draftng since there is no prize support.

OnPoint

yeah Im seeing it at 50 tickets,it used to be like 80+. Its really insane that it cost as much as VoR. I only need 1 more VoR to have a set but Im gonna feel real bad if I purchased one.

If 'Goyf drops to 60 IRL i'm snap buying a playset. It won't. But I wish it would.

OnPoint

MODO has old-format drafts that ease supply issues.

Truth. And while I understand them not really wanting to put it back into standard, they could slam it into a Commander set or something and get it out there.

Edit: Also, Voice is 60 now? These prices are getting ridiculous. Mythics were a terrible idea.

Yeef

Got a box for $175.

First pack, foil Elspeth and Cryptic Command. Second pack, Aether Vial and Foil Lotus Bloom.

Other noteworthy cards: Kiki-jiji, Vendillion Clique, Dark Confidant, Sword of Light and Shadow, Doubling Season, (another) Cryptic Command, Arcbound Ravager, Kira Great-Glass Spinner, Foil Tooth and Nail

This is having a good impact on prices in the short run at least. Lot of rares almost instantly got cheaper. Picked up a Cryptic Command for $20 on Ebay.

Also apparently you can get Power 9 pieces for less than a box of MM. Made the decision to snipe a Timetwister auction instead of get a box and picked it up for $237, close to near mint UL. First piece I got, and I'd rather have a Mox for collection purposes, but this is the only one EDH legal.

Apparently not everything can go up forever; pretty sure prices on vintage stuff has flatlined for several years or actually just dropped, especially UL stuff. Most UL moxen are cheaper than a Tabernacle or even a Workshop.

Top Bottom