• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/348593025322205184[/tweet]

Fair or foul in regards to appearance fee? (Brian Kibler registered for the event, but did not register a deck and never played a round)
Normally, foul, but given the nightmarish context of the event, its understandable if he didn't think his deck would be good enough.

Zocano

Like I've mentioned before, I've been wanting to make a jund deck for a while (I just got back home from a trip to Austin so I haven't had a chance to play magic for a few weeks), but with goyf slowly crawling out of reach I think I might have to let that dream die. Unless I pull a set magically from MMA packs and throw down cash for confidants, I I highly doubt I will be playing jund in modern. Unless there is some other jund colored deck I'm unaware of.

Luckily, I bought 4 Mox Opals not too long ago and am probably just going to put together Robots because I love me some artifacts.

ultron87

So this little mom and pop hobby shop near me that just has Magic cards as a side thing is selling Modern Masters packs at MSRP. I just bought a couple today but I'm tempted to go buy all of them but I'm really not super interested in even playing Modern and just flipping them feels... wrong or something.

kirblar

So this little mom and pop hobby shop near me that just has Magic cards as a side thing is selling Modern Masters packs at MSRP. I just bought a couple today but I'm tempted to go buy all of them but I'm really not super interested in even playing Modern and just flipping them feels... wrong or something.
They're selling them below the actual EV, lol. Where are you located? (How many boxes do they have?)

Hero

I'll buy packs from you if you get them.

bigkrev

So my store had a MM draft today, and this is what I drafted
BNeom71CUAAd4yH.jpg:large

(cards you cant see are 2x Ephemeron, 1x Riftwing, 1x Pestermite, 1x Dreamspoiler). Had tons of Mulligan problems all day (multiple no-landers), but still went 3-1. Rares I got were Maelstrom Pulse, Glimmervoid, Woodfall Primus, Life from the Loam, and Kataki.

Such a great format.

Crocodile

One of my best friends went 5-0,10-0 on the day only to lose the last round due to mana flood & screw. Only one match win from qualifying for the Pro Tour and maybe hitting top 8. Thanks Obama :(

Still a sick run though

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One of my best friends went 5-0,10-0 on the day only to lose the last round due to mana flood & screw. Only one match win from qualifying for the Pro Tour and maybe hitting top 8. Thanks Obama :(

Still a sick run though

If he actually went 15-1 then he should have been top 8.

Crocodile

I would have thought "one win away from a Pro Tour Qualification" would have made his final record obvious but I'll be more clear: his final record was 12-3, good enough for Top 64. 10-0 in GAMES and 5-0 in MATCHES until the final round is what I meant. Going by the math, a win would have placed in in Top 16 so he never had a shot at Top 8 but the Pro Tour invite would have been nice :(

He played Faeries in his sealed pool and drafted Faeries in both drafts. Not surprising if you knew him :p

rCIZZLE

Yesterday was the first time I ever vendored nearly all of my trade stuff to help complete a deck. Kind of shitty when I realize how much value I gave up but glad I won't have to constantly bump posts on trading sites for weeks to get the few high value cards I picked up.

Did turn 25 dollars into 24 packs though via side events with my first time using SnT outside of playtesting. Also learned I was playing Misdirection wrong and it's actually way better than I originally thought it to be.

kirblar

Yesterday was the first time I ever vendored nearly all of my trade stuff to help complete a deck. Kind of shitty when I realize how much value I gave up but glad I won't have to constantly bump posts on trading sites for weeks to get the few high value cards I picked up.

Did turn 25 dollars into 24 packs though via side events with my first time using SnT outside of playtesting. Also learned I was playing Misdirection wrong and it's actually way better than I originally thought it to be.
I can't wait for it and Cave-In to be legal in Modern some day.

rCIZZLE

I can't wait for it and Cave-In to be legal in Modern some day.

Ya I'm starting to realize that now lol. The way I originally thought it worked was you choose target spell and then that spell's owner must choose a new target. Since there was usually only one other target any time I had cast it previously (thoughtseize, hymm, 1 counter, etc) this never really came up. Didn't know the misdirection lets you change the target until yesterday. Granted this is the first deck I've ever used misdirection and it's not a very common staple.

With regards to Cave-In: isn't Volcanic Fallout just much better in modern to achieve that same purpose?

kirblar

Ya I'm starting to realize that now lol. The way I originally thought it worked was you choose target spell and then that spell's owner must choose a new target. Since there was usually only one other target any time I had cast it previously (thoughtseize, hymm, 1 counter, etc) this never really came up. Didn't know the misdirection lets you change the target until yesterday. Granted this is the first deck I've ever used misdirection and it's not a very common staple.
The big one is being able to misdrect a counterspell ONTO misdirection.

rCIZZLE

The big one is being able to misdrect a counterspell ONTO misdirection.

Well, in most of my playtesting situations Misdirection was the only legal target if the stack was just MySpell->TheirCounter->Misdirection so I didn't even think about it. If the stack was increased to:
1 My Spell
2 Their 1st Counter
3 My 1st Counter
4 Their 2nd Counter
5 Misdirection

I didn't know I could misdirect 4 to 2. Originally this line of play wouldn't have worked out for me assuming they chose the new target for misdirection. They would have just changed it from 3 to 1 or 1 to 3. The oracle text of course makes it very clear but the card text is a little confusing.

Finally got around to doing my very first Modern Masters draft on MTGO. I'd already decided I was going to play Swiss - the drafts are so expensive that I really want to get my money's worth in terms of time spent. I'd rather draft fewer times and play more games with these sweet decks.

And my first draft was definitely sweet. I drafted 5C Domain Thallids; that is, I drafted a pool that could be Thallids or Domain; I didn't end up with as many domain cards as I wanted, other than 2 Mantas and the Tribal Flames that I first picked, so I basically played GW Ramp/Goodstuff.

Round one I beat a really solid attrition Artifact deck. That guy had it all - other than the Skyreach Mantas (which I had). He even had a Yosei. Game one put both of us down to 6 minutes left on our timers, but in a stalled board state, the guy who gets saprolings each turn wins. Pallid Mycoderm let me turn a pile of tokens sideways to get blocked as 1/1 and go to damage as 3/3 to wipe his board. Game two wasn't close - I got a quick start and wrecked him with Imperiosaur, a 5/5 Manta, and a Blinding Beam.

Round two I played against a Naya Aggro deck. Game one he drew a slow start and I crushed him with giant fliers. Games two and three he had fast starts and I couldn't stabilize. Turn 1 Figure of Destiny both games, Moldervine Clock on turn 3 both games, that kind of stuff.

Round three I took down the match against a Faeries deck, where my opponent didn't think to play around Tribal Flames in game one and threw away a guaranteed win. Game two he mulled to six, then on turn two announced that he probably should have mulled to five, and scooped when I played Elspeth.

I almost just played my GW Thallid deck and left the Domain theme behind, but I realized that I had very, very little interaction with fliers and figured that I would probably just die to anything in the air. If I had managed to find a Tromp the Domains, I would have ended up there, but I didn't - so I went with the domain strategy and was quite happy.

Pulled an Elspeth and a Pact of Negation, which comes to ~10 tickets, and won 2 packs, so it broke even. And the draft itself was a blast. Such a sweet format.

Salem, OR MTG reprazent! Sean Collins in the top 8 getting the PT invite he deserves. Watched this kid for 4 years come so close to breaking through.

ultron87

New Garruk:
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/06/24/magic-the-gathering-planeswalkers-san-diego-comic-con/

garruk.jpg

Six mana, but I could see it being worth to either draw a bunch of stuff or play something huge for free.

Also confirms the M14 PW lineup:

- Ajani, Caller of the Pride
- Jace, Memory Adept
- Chandra, Pyromaster
- Liliana of the Dark Realms
- Garruk, Caller of Beasts

And that black artwork is from some San Diego Comic Con exclusive box set of all 5 PWs with art like that. Which is super cool.

New Garruk is... interesting. I like that he can Elvish Piper in something the turn he comes into play (and live), so I imagine there is some room for abuse.

EDIT: And I'm willing to do shameful things for an alt-art Chandras.

bigkrev

I HATE the idea of Wizards directly selling Mythic Rares after saying for years they were staying out of the singles market. This just seems insidious.

New Garruk seems like trash. I guess it's an EDH card?

kirblar

I HATE the idea of Wizards directly selling Mythic Rares after saying for years they were staying out of the singles market. This just seems insidious.

New Garruk seems like trash. I guess it's an EDH card?
It's like FTV -type stuff. It won't be expensive purchasing directly from them.

But I do wonder what's with the newfound heavy-handedness at events like SDCC and PAX- is it just the marketing/cozy up to journalists thing?

ultron87

I'd guess that part of it is just trying to continue marketing Magic to other segments of the "nerd" audience. They've got a big established following now, but if they could make big breaks into the gaming audience (through PAX or Day9) or into general pop culture fandom (through Comic Con) they'd have plenty more opportunities for growth. Not that a super Limited collectors set of Planeswalker cards will do that, but I'd imagine people rushing across the convention floor every morning to be the first at your booth is a good look.

Sinatar

Well at least the new garruk gives me another way to cheat worldspine wurm into play in standard, but he's way worse the the last one (the 5 mana guy that makes beasts and draws a ton of cards).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The mana cost kills him. I absolutly love the first ability, its kind of nuts, but I feel like he'd need to be at at least 5 for me to play him.

OnPoint

I want to like that garruk, here's hoping either Rampant Growth or Farseek are going to be legal at rotation. His cost is so prohibitive but his power level is high

Sinatar

Depending on how Theros turns out (and if it has big stompy stompy deity type cards) then Garruk might be pretty good. I'm assuming that if Theros does have Eldrazi level creatures that they'll be colour aligned this time, so he might be able to bring out some crazy green gods.

I dunno, I think new Garruk is getting written off too quickly. A ramp deck could easily have this guy out on Turn 4, ready to drop an even bigger nasty onto the table. Now your opponent has to deal with a massive creature AND a walker who will steadily refill your hand.

He could have potential.

kirblar

I dunno, I think new Garruk is getting written off too quickly. A ramp deck could easily have this guy out on Turn 4, ready to drop an even bigger nasty onto the table. Now your opponent has to deal with a massive creature AND a walker who will steadily refill your hand.

He could have potential.
Due to Path, he's possibly a good alternative to Sovereigns in a "Mythic" style deck.

Sinatar

He could have potential.

1. He's 6 mana
2. He doesn't defend himself
3. He requires you to have another big stompy card in hand to be worth playing

That's too many if's to see any real play, but he'll be a casual/EDH all star.

1. He's 6 mana
2. He doesn't defend himself
3. He requires you to have another big stompy card in hand to be worth playing

He stocks your hand with creatures. How is that not defending himself?

That's too many if's to see any real play, but he'll be a casual/EDH all star.
He obviously a build-around, and certainly not the next Mind Sculptor, but if the right kind of green fatties show up in Standard, there could be potential. /shrug

Kerrinck

Garruk is a bit too fat, maybe if the format slows down enough. A shame that he only puts green creatures in play, could be nice with Angel of salvation as a way to defend himself.

How many variants of the Lorwyn 5 are we going to see, do you think? I'm pretty tired of Jace & Garruk now after 4 iterations each, and Chandra is only saved from this fate because I'm excited to see a non-terrible version of her.

OnPoint

How many variants of the Lorwyn 5 are we going to see, do you think? I'm pretty tired of Jace & Garruk now after 4 iterations each, and Chandra is only saved from this fate because I'm excited to see a non-terrible version of her.

I'm deathly sick of them. Also, not happy that we have Liliana coming back in that form. Was really hoping for 'of the Veil'. Silly, I know. How about instead of Chandra, they make up for the mistake that was Tibalt and give him his due?

Top Bottom