• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

.....no portugese.

I have a bunch from some precons I found in a bargain bin at a store in my house. A buck each for like 10 decks. However, I didn't get a good mix and they're all Onslaught lands. I'd like to diversify, because I love the Portuguese names for them. Ilha is Island, Floresta is Forest... they're fun to say. But none of the stores have many, if any available.

kirblar

I have a bunch from some precons I found in a bargain bin at a store in my house. A buck each for like 10 decks. However, I didn't get a good mix and they're all Onslaught lands. I'd like to diversify, because I love the Portuguese names for them. Ilha is Island, Floresta is Forest... they're fun to say. But none of the stores have many, if any available.
I was trying to make a Family Guy reference. :p

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Update on the Massdrop thing. Just got my box in, and it is a full sealed 36-pack box.

Also, another poll is up on Massdrop (though it appears to be down atm) for Innistrad, DA, Avacyn, or M13 packs as a potential massdrop later on down the line. (Gatecrash and RtR are also listed, but I doubt they'll do those again so soon). Innistrad was ahead last I checked when it was up last night.

I did make a suggestion to maybe offer a choice (if the price per set was the same) similar to how different colors of Dragon Sleeves were available, but haven't heard anything from a rep yet. Doubtful, but I am hopeful since I want Avacyn instead of Innistrad. >_>

I'll prob go read up some when I get back from work, but anyone here have an opinion/draft favorite for RtR?

Lucario

http://www.mtgotraders.com/deck/viewdeck.php?ID=7183

MTGO sales list, including some standard crap.

I probably should be putting more time into selling these for more, but fuck it, take 20% off the top from MTGOtraders and pay me in paypal. Anybody see anything they need?

(Tried listing it on MTGSalvation and the mods infracted me twice for not having individually priced every single card, right down to the basic lands. I remember why I stopped going there, heh.)

So how does a newly released set work? I know card stores will be selling everything, but can I just walk into a target tomorrow and see some new packs of gatecrash where the return to ravnicas used to be? Or do regular stores not tend to keep up with new sets the moment they are released?

So how does a newly released set work? I know card stores will be selling everything, but can I just walk into a target tomorrow and see some new packs of gatecrash where the return to ravnicas used to be? Or do regular stores not tend to keep up with new sets the moment they are released?
They probably won't have any on release day.

bigkrev

Places like target and Walmart will take time to stock. Your LGS will have product on sale.

bigkrev

I got a crapload of Portuguese basics from Ravnica-Kamigawa from buying a lot of guild precons and Rat's Nests. :)

Man, remember when they put the best rare in a set in a Precon? I remember checking Target every day to see if they had more Rat's Nests in stock.

JulianImp

Man, remember when they put the best rare in a set in a Precon? I remember checking Target every day to see if they had more Rat's Nests in stock.

Man, Wizards made several mistakes at once with that... for one, they made some last minute changes to the card and didn't get to playtest them (hello, Skullclamp!), and it had some ridiculous versatility for a cutthroat price; the second mistake was putting it into a precon, since Jitte was more expensive than the precon it came in! Cue thousands of players and stores gutting the deck.

The whole issue about Wizards not adding chase rares to intro and event decks isn't really a problem, since they aren't meant to offer more monetary value than their MSRP in singles. Reading MTGSalvation makes each set look like it's the second coming of Mercadian Masques (sort of reminds me of that Miyamoto "Now you love Wind Waker" image), and all theme decks are labeled as awful.

If they were good, it'd probably be the whole Rat's Nest thing all over again, with speculators hoarding them, stores gutting their product and people who wanted the deck to play it being unable to get one. Event decks tend to be more spike-friendly, but still not so much.

The Simic Event deck could be just what I'm looking for to get a few blue and green cards for my base-simic deck, since for now it's more like base golgari with a splash of blue. I really want to dismantle my GBw goodstuff deck, since it was a bit too powerful for my FNM despite being a homebrew build I came up with and tweaked myself, and also because I want to play simic now that there're more cards that support the color combination.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Have they put up decklists for the Gatecrash event decks yet? All I can find are intro decks.

The whole issue about Wizards not adding chase rares to intro and event decks isn't really a problem, since they aren't meant to offer more monetary value than their MSRP in singles.

Event decks might not be "meant" to offer more value,(over MSRP) they certainly can do just that. RtR Golgari: Creep and Conquer had; Thragtusk, Woodland Cemetery, & Wolfir Silverheart. Hell, the M13 Repeat Performance also had a Thragtusk, and 2 Razorverge Thickets. Good luck finding either for MSRP.

Have they put up decklists for the Gatecrash event decks yet? All I can find are intro decks.

No word yet, release date for them is Feb 22.

Negator

Guess I'll bring a half baked Naya brew to FNM tonight.

I still need Sacred Foundry and Stomping Grounds, as well as another Aurelia or two, but I guess I can work with what I have.

JulianImp

I bought playsets of Stomping Ground, Temple Garden and Sacred Foundry a long time ago, which is sad because they're my least played colors nowadays.

Now I have a pair of Temple Garden and a Stomping Grounds for trade, but I like the new art more. How expensive are the original printings compared to the new ones?

By the way, how is everyone's shockland count going? So far I've opened 2 Overgrown Tomb, two Temple Garden, a Steam Vents and a Blood Crypt from RTR, and a Watery Grave and Stomping Ground from 19 packs of GTC (two prereleases plus 7 prize packs in total). I really want some Breeding Pools for my simic decks, so I'll probably be trading for them; I plan to keep at least one of each shock for EDH purposes, though.

ultron87

By the way, how is everyone's shockland count going? So far I've opened 2 Overgrown Tomb, two Temple Garden, a Steam Vents and a Blood Crypt from RTR, and a Watery Grave and Stomping Ground from 19 packs of GTC (two prereleases plus 7 prize packs in total). I really want some Breeding Pools for my simic decks, so I'll probably be trading for them; I plan to keep at least one of each shock for EDH purposes, though.

Right now I just have 4 Hallowed Fountains I bought then a few other random ones I opened from RTR. No Gatecrash ones so far. I want to just get the full set of them at some point just to have them, but I'll probably wait till Dragon's Maze since they should theoretically continue to decrease in price.

May get some Godless Shrines and/or Watery Graves sooner since I wanna try out some sort of Esper Control deck.

Takuan

I bought playsets of Stomping Ground, Temple Garden and Sacred Foundry a long time ago, which is sad because they're my least played colors nowadays.

Now I have a pair of Temple Garden and a Stomping Grounds for trade, but I like the new art more. How expensive are the original printings compared to the new ones?

Original printings are worth more and will retain value better due to unique art, so I strongly recommend holding onto them. I believe they're ~$20 apiece, whereas RTR/GTC shocks go for $8-15 (all of the GTC shocks are currently $15). The "new" shocks are only going down, as boosters will be opened a fair bit in the coming months and all 10 shocklands will be reprinted in Dragon's Maze, further increasing the supply. I would hold off on acquiring GTC shocks at least, unless you're really desperate to make a competitive standard deck.

I'll be trading all my shocklands and maybe some Innistrad duals tonight, since I'm not playing standard and don't mind waiting for prices to bottom before picking up more. Gonna be looking for Jaces, since he's pretty low now.

Jaeyden

Between myself and my playgroup we opened 3 boxes last night. Only one Legend to be found amongst it all, Prime Speaker. Really hope this is a fluke and it's not THIS difficult to find the legends in this set.

Between myself and my playgroup we opened 3 boxes last night. Only one Legend to be found amongst it all, Prime Speaker. Really hope this is a fluke and it's not THIS difficult to find the legends in this set.

I pulled Lazhav and Borbogymos in my pre-release pack. :p

Takuan

Someone out there opened a box with all of the legends, I'm sure. That's just the way it goes when you crack boosters.

Not investing in a box this time around. Money is tight and I'm not too intent on opening many of the rares in the set. But later today after work I'll be picking up a handful of packs for fun, and some singles for existing decks. Let ya know what I get.

(Crossing fingers for Simic guild leader)
Yeah, I have a box pre-ordered but I'm 50/50 on picking one up. I can't see myself keeping anything I open, unless it's Aurelia or Fury.

zethren

Banned
Not investing in a box this time around. Money is tight and I'm not too intent on opening many of the rares in the set. But later today after work I'll be picking up a handful of packs for fun, and some singles for existing decks. Let ya know what I get.

(Crossing fingers for Simic guild leader)

Hex

Banned
I hate MtG so much.
SO I tried to get out again.
Worked a great deal for someone.
Was free and clear and only held onto some EDH stuff.

My shop owner hit me with "Oh...I seemed to somehow get hold of a russian gatecrash box, too bad you stopped I will have to find out if anyone else wants it".
Bastard.
So...I have a box to open tonight.

Lucario

Sold all my valuable MTGO stuff. Heartbroken, and didn't get the best rate ever =\ Now I have to unload these tix for real money somehow

OnPoint

I hate MtG so much.

My shop owner hit me with "Oh...I seemed to somehow get hold of a russian gatecrash box, too bad you stopped I will have to find out if anyone else wants it".
Bastard.

But seriously, I will gladly take all the Russian tokens you don't want.

An-Det

I hate MtG so much.

Bastard.

No matter how far we run, the addiction never leaves us. It's frightening at times.

ajf009

bought a booster box tonight.. so very disappointed in my pulls. only 2 shock lands, an Aurelia, Domri Rade, and Zagana to go along with a bunch of meh rares and plenty of meh playable fodder

bigkrev

I hate MtG so much.

Bastard.

I think Maro once wrote that they don't think ex-players exist, and they call them "lapsed players" instead because everyone comes back eventually.

Yeef

Opened about 3 and a half boxes worth or product and only got 2 Boros Charms (an uncommon). Meanwhile I've gotten like 4 or 5 of tons of different rares (including all the shock lands except watery grave) and 2 or 3 of some mythics.

Drafted a pretty sweet Boros deck with a minor green splash today. Opened Boros Reckoner, Field Medic, and Clan Defiance. Drafting is easy--just pick every rare.

Also, a friend showed up playing standard BUG Delver and it looked sweet. He won one game with a pair of Dimir Charms and Snapcasters where he just kept topping off his opponent's deck with lands and another where Duskmantle Seer gave his opponent an Aurelia. I then watched him Simic Charm to hexproof all his permanents in response to an O-Ring being cast and his opponent had to target his own Thragtusk. I'd never think of these things because I don't read the cards.

Opened about 3 and a half boxes worth or product and only got 2 Boros Charms (an uncommon). Meanwhile I've gotten like 4 or 5 of tons of different rares (including all the shock lands except watery grave) and 2 or 3 of some mythics.

I think I opened two and a half boxes of rtr from random packs and prerelease, etc. and I had 1 rix maadi guildmage but I had like 50 million of anything azorius.

Oh it's just wonderful when you split a box with your three friends, and all you want to do is build a nice boros deck, but you get literally nothing decent in 9 packs of cards while you watch the other three pull a battlefield medic, aurelia, and aurelia's fury...

Takuan

Oh it's just wonderful when you split a box with your three friends, and all you want to do is build a nice boros deck, but you get literally nothing decent in 9 packs of cards while you watch the other three pull a battlefield medic, aurelia, and aurelia's fury...
Never split a box that way again. If you're going to split, always divide rares by value. It's only fair that way.

I decided not to get a box. There are a good amount of neat cards in this set, but only a handful will keep their value. Just gonna draft and maybe do random sealed stuff with my friends for fun.

Teriyaki

As long as your friends aren't rare drafters, you can try to "draft" the entire box - it's not to make decks, but just so that everyone gets the cards that suit their playing style.

Yeah, I guess we just did it way wrong...well I'm the only one who made out badly anyway. 4 mythics and I got zero of them, didn't get any decent boros cards, and the rares that I did get weren't even that good. Not a fun night, I feel like that 30 bucks just up and disappeared...

Yeah, I guess we just did it way wrong...well I'm the only one who made out badly anyway. 4 mythics and I got zero of them, didn't get any decent boros cards, and the rares that I did get weren't even that good. Not a fun night, I feel like that 30 bucks just up and disappeared...

Ya, you should never split a box like that. Draft them or whatever and then trade afterwards if need be. The biggest thing is making sure get relatively equal value unless a certain person says their ok with getting less otherwise it makes something that should be good/fun and makes everyone unhappy usually.

Negator

I was able to secure a copy of Stomping Grounds before FNM started. I didn't have any mana problems the whole night, but it was extremely lucky that it never happened.

4x Temple Gardens
1x Stomping Grounds
1x Mountain
5x Forest
4x Rootbound Crag
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Clifftop Retreat
2x Kessig Wolf Run

Could cast every GGG, RRWW, and WWW spell with ease. Standard manabase is amazing.

I can't wait to finish the sets of Stomping Grounds and Sacred Foundry.

Highlight of the night is following up a Thundermaw Hellkite with Aurelia. 20 to 15 to dead in two turns, all in the air!

Top Bottom