• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yeef

If you leave, you leave your rares/ foils behind. Usually if someone drops after a few games, they'll ask someone to choose whatever is decent when their pick is up and give them to them later.
I don't see how that would work in a situation where you have dozens of people playing, many of them one-timers.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I played against that guy at my GTC prerelease last week. He was wearing the same shirt.

In any other hobby, I would assume he changed out since of it and this is just a coincidence. Not in MtG. I'd bet cash money that he hasn't taken it off in a week or so.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how that would work in a situation where you have dozens of people playing, many of them one-timers.

I can see how it's harder to orchestrate the larger the group is, but I was just at a draft the other day with 25 people, plenty of newcomers, and it went off without a hitch.

Rare drafts also dissuade people from leaving the instant they lose a game, which is just a shitty practise.

In any other hobby, I would assume he changed out since of it and this is just a coincidence. Not in MtG. I'd bet cash money that he hasn't taken it off in a week or so.

What am I a billionaire? A billionaire with ten's of different fancy exotic shirts to wear?

WanderingWind

I can see how it's harder to orchestrate the larger the group is, but I was just at a draft the other day with 25 people, plenty of newcomers, and it went off without a hitch.

Rare drafts also dissuade people from leaving the instant they lose a game, which is just a shitty practise.

Might be another reason why I'm not fond of this. I'm married and wake up for work at 4am. I can't be playing all night, but I enjoy the game. So, I'll draft, play a round or two, then leave.

First I've ever heard of this being a shitty practice. Is there a reason why this would be bad for anybody else?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Might be another reason why I'm not fond of this. I'm married and wake up for work at 4am. I can't be playing all night, but I enjoy the game. So, I'll draft, play a round or two, then leave.

First I've ever heard of this being a shitty practice. Is there a reason why this would be bad for anybody else?

Well it screws up the rankings for the people you've played with in the draft, not to mention odds are you're creating a bye for someone who might want to play. It's like people dropping out of an FPS the instant they know they can't win.

WanderingWind

Well it screws up the rankings for the people you've played with in the draft, not to mention odds are you're creating a bye for someone who might want to play. It's like people dropping out of an FPS the instant they know they can't win.

How does it screw up the ratings? And, I don't think it's anything like that example. I don't quit midmatch and call their mom fat. I quit playing between matches. I really can't play 6 hours of MtG, ending at 12-1am.

f0rk

How does it screw up the ratings? And, I don't think it's anything like that example. I don't quit midmatch and call their mom fat. I quit playing between matches. I really can't play 6 hours of MtG, ending at 12-1am.

It messes up breakers which are based on your opponents win rates, causes people to be paired up / down or just get straight byes which isn't fun.

6 hour FNM does sound over the top though, is it more than 3 rounds?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

As I understand it, it changes the ratings/ rankings of the people you'e played with previously. I mean if you have to go and you have other responsibilities, sure. Some people just leave the instant they can't come 1st, even though they have no other reason to drop.

WanderingWind

It messes up breakers which are based on your opponents win rates, causes people to be paired up / down or just get straight byes which isn't fun.

6 hour FNM does sound over the top though, is it more than 3 rounds?

All the shops near me are packed. SoCal. Of course, they're not all 6 hours long, but yeah, the ones during RtR and this Friday were very, very long. That's if you could get a spot.

But, eh. Doesn't seem like a shitty practice, still. Maybe not ideal for a couple others who get the bye, but since the other alternative is to not play I think I can live with myself. I only really play a few times here and there as is.

Stupid sexy wife getting in the way of my FNM!!!

All the shops near me are packed. SoCal. Of course, they're not all 6 hours long, but yeah, the ones during RtR and this Friday were very, very long. That's if you could get a spot.

But, eh. Doesn't seem like a shitty practice, still. Maybe not ideal for a couple others who get the bye, but since the other alternative is to not play I think I can live with myself. I only really play a few times here and there as is.

Stupid sexy wife getting in the way of my FNM!!!

Eh, it's frustrating if you're the one getting dicked over. There's been plenty of times people drop and I go 3-1 or whatever and don't make it to the finals because my opponents dropped and as a result my opponent's win percentage is shit compared to others and I go to the bottom of the list essentially. It's frustrating when you all have the same record and that's the tie breaker.

Edit: And you not gettting your stupid sexy wife to come and play with you disappoints me wanderingwind... But then again, I'm used to being disappointed by you after some of your deck choices! ;)

bigkrev

I played Kiblers B/G Ooze deck at a tournament today. Its a ton of fun to play, and is pretty powerful. I went 3-1, beating 4 color Angel, Jund, and RDW, with my only loss coming to Bant auras.

In a prize pack, I cracked a Foil Deathrite. No clue what to do with it....

kirblar

I played Kiblers B/G Ooze deck at a tournament today. Its a ton of fun to play, and is pretty powerful. I went 3-1, beating 4 color Angel, Jund, and RDW, with my only loss coming to Bant auras.

Sit on it or sell it, lol.

Probably sell it but I sort of doubt it will drop in price anytime soon unless they ban it.

The Adder

Banned
Built a B/W Cipher and Extort deck almost entirely out of GTC cards today. Opinions appreciated.

15 Black
Balustrade Spy x2
Basilica Screecher x 4
Contaminated Ground x3
Shadow Alley Denizen x1
Shadow Slice x4
Undercity Plague x1

11 White
Basilica Guards x1
Court Street Denizen x1
Guildscorn Ward x2
Pacifism x3
Safe Passage x4

14 Orzhov
Executioner's Swing x1
High Priest of Penance x3
Kingpin's Pet x2
One Thousand Lashes x 4
Vizkopa Confessor x2
Vizkopa Guildmage x2

20 Land
Plains x9
Swamp x9
Orzhov Guildgate x2

It's meant to cause a fairly rapid amount of bleeding before swooping in for the kill. However, if allowed to build it's got an 16+ damage turn that can happen fairly realistically.

Every bit of play testing I've done has had it doing something on its first turn, but I assume that's purely luck of the draw (drew or drew into Court Street/Shadow Street Denizen every play test.) Realistically, however, it should be able to act every turn from the 2nd onward.

Thoughts?

The Adder

Banned
Adder, do you have a budget limit that you're not using shocks and other dual lands?

Yyyyyep!

I build out of what I get out of packs (which I don't buy all that often) and drafts, sell off anything that doesn't go with my current deck (or a deck I may make in the future). But I take suggestions to heart and remember them for later, should I run across any good cards though.

MedIC86

ffuu what have i done :D i bought

1x Boosterbox AVR
1x Fat pack RTR
5x booster innistrad
5x booster gatecrash

never opended a box before should be fun.

i have 6 good working decks, so dont hit me with buy singles ;)

nubbe

Going from DotP to MTGO is rather overwhelming... You get struck by the "I WANT EVERYTHING" when you have access to any card :p

But Populate seem to work well in casual game, it's fun to swarm the board with tokens.
Vitu-Ghazi and Wayfaring Temple is fun

So after the Storm bannings, I decided to move to Splinter Twin and give that deck a shot.

I don't know why I thought that deck would be easy to play. Maybe I'm crazy, but it feels like the deck is harder to play than Storm was! Every turn you have to think about a million different cards your opponent could have and determine the best way to play around them all. I've played against it a lot before and it's a nervewracking experience; I didn't realize that being on the pilot side would feel just as intense.

JulianImp

Regarding the redrafting vs. you get what you draft discussion, I'd say rare drafting is better for competitive groups (who prefeer to ignore the price of the cards they open), but keeping what you draft is substantially better for newer players. So far, I think I've played two or three drafts where we picked the rares in the end, and I'm happier with keeping what I draft.

It's true that adding the cost for a booster pack to the entry cost could be a bit annoying, but here in Argentina drafting is already expensive as is, and stores tend to have large profit margins from the boosters they sell, so they can add a booster pack per player (or every two players, most often) simply by charging a fraction of the pack's cost and aborbing the rest of its cost while still making out a profit.

In the end I din't go to the Gatecrash launch FNM because it was an unbearably hot night, but I'll try to play the Game Day. Gotta get my hands on that sexy Simic Guildmage (and perhaps the lightning helix angel).

y2dvd

What's the alternative? My LGS's drafts cost $18 (the price of three boosters), and there's a rare draft at the end. Is it different in the states? There's also an unsanctioned draft that costs $18, there's a rare draft at the end, winner gets 3 boosters, everyone else gets 1. The winner used to get a fat pack, but they were losing too much money. They're probably still losing money.

Damn and I thought $15 here was a lot. SCG had side drafts for $10 which was great.

kirblar

Oh, look, Jund just took 3/4 semifinal slots at the SCG Open!

And people will still wonder why BBE got banhammered in Modern because they can't wrap their heads around the formats being at two different power levels.

An-Det

Yeah, BBE had an insane showing today. So much Punishing Jund shown on the stream, and then 3 in the top 4 is nuts. I was hoping for Belcher to take it down though.

An-Det

Thragtusk will be in the Simic Event Deck.

2 Evolving Wilds
10 Forest
6 Island
1 Mountain
4 Simic Guildgate
23 lands

2 Acidic Slime
4 Arbor Elf
3 Borderland Ranger
1 Deadeye Navigator
1 Dungeon Geists
2 Fog Bank
1 Gruul Ragebeast
2 Mist Raven
1 Sphinx of Uthuun
3 Strangleroot Geist
1 Thragtusk
1 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Yeva, Nature's Herald
23 creatures

1 Bramblecrush
4 Farseek
2 Ground Assault
3 Urban Evolution
4 Verdant Haven
14 other spells

Sideboard
4 Dissipate
4 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Naturalize
2 Negate
3 Rancor
15 sideboard cards

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1161

Plus an article on the Missed Trigger rules. I'm reading through it now to figure out the change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/233

Edit: Article on the judge blog regarding the trigger update: http://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2013/02/03/missed-triggers-3-the-bonus-disc/. Still processing it all.

Thragtusk will be in the Simic Event Deck.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1161

Plus an article on the Missed Trigger rules. I'm reading through it now to figure out the change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/233

Damn, again huh?

I already bought 3 of the Golgari Event Deck so I'm good. IIRC the price of Thragtusk didn't budge after the Golgari deck came out; I'm curious to see if it will drop this time around.

Hero

Oh, look, Jund just took 3/4 semifinal slots at the SCG Open!

And people will still wonder why BBE got banhammered in Modern because they can't wrap their heads around the formats being at two different power levels.

I still stand by DRS (and to a lesser degree Abrupt Decay) pushing Jund through the roof. I don't think a turn 4 BBE is unacceptable in terms of power level. Accelerated on turn three is.

I guess people need to adjust for non-blue decks being competitive now.

ultron87

The Simic event deck seems pretty random. It is just ramp and then some stuff I guess.

Also they made it so you can miss triggers at regular REL events? Eew. Though the new timing of when to mention stuff does make it better.

Damn, again huh?

I already bought 3 of the Golgari Event Deck so I'm good. IIRC the price of Thragtusk didn't budge after the Golgari deck came out; I'm curious to see if it will drop this time around.

Well, its been dropping more because of gatecrash in general. I can get um at $15 now. I think the event deck just means it won't rise back up to $20.

Your opponent is not required to remind you if they don’t want to.

Under every single definition of cheating they've given, this ^ should continue to be cheating. They continue to get this trigger thing wrong, and it should be both players' obligation to maintain the game state.

rCIZZLE

Regarding the redrafting vs. you get what you draft discussion, I'd say rare drafting is better for competitive groups (who prefeer to ignore the price of the cards they open), but keeping what you draft is substantially better for newer players. So far, I think I've played two or three drafts where we picked the rares in the end, and I'm happy with it.

It's true that adding the cost for a booster pack to the entry cost could be a bit annoying, but here in Argentina drafting is already expensive as is, and stores tend to have large profit margins from the boosters they sell, so they can add a booster pack per player (or every two players, most often) simply by charging a fraction of the pack's cost and aborbing the rest of its cost while still making out a profit.

In the end I din't go to the Gatecrash launch FNM because it was an unbearably hot night, but I'll try to play the Game Day. Gotta get my hands on that sexy Simic Guildmage (and perhaps the lightning helix angel).

Part of the fun of drafting is knowing what you pull is yours. If I open a Foil DRS and end up getting 2nd I'd be super salty and would refuse to draft at that place again if that's all they offered. Plus, like you said, new players would have trouble starting a collection just by drafting as the best and most tradeable cards would be gone by the time they picked if they did poorly in the event.

Your opponent is not required to remind you if they don’t want to.

Under every single definition of cheating they've given, this ^ should continue to be cheating. They continue to get this trigger thing wrong, and it should be both players' obligation to maintain the game state.

I agree but it's pretty impossible to enforce. "May" triggers, though, are obviously up to the controller to remember.

Yeef

The Boros event deck comes with a bunch of cards I need (or needed; I just picked up a playset of Parishes yesterday and two clifftops last week).

I've also noticed they've been making recommendations on how to spruce up the precon decks. The Gatecrash intro packs write ups each had a paragraph or two for suggested additions and now the event decks do as well.

kirblar

I still stand by DRS (and to a lesser degree Abrupt Decay) pushing Jund through the roof. I don't think a turn 4 BBE is unacceptable in terms of power level. Accelerated on turn three is.

I guess people need to adjust for non-blue decks being competitive now.
I would have banned DRS instead too.

I suspect his day will come, though. BBE going away is a net positive for the format, even though the damn thing got me to the PT. It just punishes blue-based control strategies like nothing else.

Hero

I would have banned DRS instead too.

I suspect his day will come, though. BBE going away is a net positive for the format, even though the damn thing got me to the PT. It just punishes blue-based control strategies like nothing else.

I definitely would've banned DRS first since it enables all the stupid shenanigans, I think people are just going to switch to BUG tempo or Doran now instead of Jund, but that's just from what I've been reading. Unfortunately Modern in my area is dead, but I'll gladly take a pretty good Legacy community over it any day.

I think BBE was one of the best cards that could've kept JTMS in check if they ever decided to unban him, but now that BBE is gone I doubt we'll ever see that.

I would like to see more unbannings overall anyway.

kirblar

I definitely would've banned DRS first since it enables all the stupid shenanigans, I think people are just going to switch to BUG tempo or Doran now instead of Jund, but that's just from what I've been reading. Unfortunately Modern in my area is dead, but I'll gladly take a pretty good Legacy community over it any day.

I think BBE was one of the best cards that could've kept JTMS in check if they ever decided to unban him, but now that BBE is gone I doubt we'll ever see that.

I would like to see more unbannings overall anyway.
They've chosen the other direction (the +10 vs -5 Chapin alluded to) and it'll lead to a pretty big differential between Modern/Legacy.

Not a bad thing though.

(Deathrite Shaman, Splinter Twin and Expedition Map are three cards that I think eventually get banhammered, btw.)

Hero

They've chosen the other direction (the +10 vs -5 Chapin alluded to) and it'll lead to a pretty big differential between Modern/Legacy.

Not a bad thing though.

(Deathrite Shaman, Splinter Twin and Expedition Map are three cards that I think eventually get banhammered, btw.)

What is this +10 vs -5 thing you mention?

And yeah, I can see Splinter Twin getting banned too.

y2dvd

The Boros event deck comes with a bunch of cards I need (or needed; I just picked up a playset of Parishes yesterday and two clifftops last week).

I've also noticed they've been making recommendations on how to spruce up the precon decks. The Gatecrash intro packs write ups each had a paragraph or two for suggested additions and now the event decks do as well.

Boros event deck is easily worth it. Clifftop Retreat, Slayer Stronghold, Ash Zealot, Champion of the Parish, Silverblade Paladin, Thalia.

Thrive and Trash on the other hand...

Top Bottom