• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

Obviously not as good as the RTR deal (you can get boxes of innistrad for ~90 on tcgplayer), but still pretty sweet. Buying a bunch of boxes to leave sealed might not be a bad idea, considering the power level of that set.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
I myself have never really gotten into MtG, but I've always been amazed by the community. A friend of mine is quite the MtG enthusiast (and a hobby trader). He's staying at my place at the moment, so I'm having lots of opportunities to peek over his shoulder when he's watching streams and stuff. He showed me videos of championships and funnily enough, even though I don't really get it, I got all excited watching it. Maybe I just have an affinity for card games -- I love Ascension, Dominion and the like (obviously MtG is on another level).

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
That reminds me: I'm a fairly new player starting out, which streams and sites does the Gaf community recommend paying attention to?

f0rk

Channel Fireball has the best free content, SCG is good too but only if you're paying.
There doesn't seem to be a good forum, mtgsalvation is the biggest but I've found the moderation too harsh with mega threads and such, plus there's a lot of idiots who don't know what they're talking about.

Channel Fireball has the best free content, SCG is good too but only if you're paying.
There doesn't seem to be a good forum, mtgsalvation is the biggest but I've found the moderation too harsh with mega threads and such, plus there's a lot of idiots who don't know what they're talking about.

I still like Frank Lepore on TCGPlayer the best.

An-Det

Yeah, Salvation is hit or miss. For older formats you've got mtgthesource for Legacy and themanadrain for Vintage, but none of the others are great. For sites with articles, I would also recommend checking DailyMTG's articles. They aren't as competitive-oriented as CFB and SCG articles tend to be, and Maro's articles are always great.

If you do Twitter, you could do worse than to create an mtg-oriented list (such as mine https://twitter.com/Xanctakhe/magic, which also has our very own Kirblar). For streaming, the best in my opinion are Adan Prosak (AProsak), AJ Sacher (AJSacher), Brian Kibler (bmkibler), Cedric Phillips (CeddyP), Chris Anderson (Chranderberries, his thursday lose a game-take a shot challenge nights are great), and Jon Finkel (Jonnymagic00), plus MagicProTour and SCGLive for their Grand Prix, Pro Tour, and SCG Open coverage (practically every weekend, and often at the same time). I follow a lot of mtg twitch.tv channels though, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I still like Frank Lepore on TCGPlayer the best.

Is he decent? First I ever heard of him was on Thursday when he was streaming opening a box of GTC, and his and Kibler were taking a huge number of watchers from the usual mtg streams.

Yeah, Salvation is hit or miss. For older formats you've got mtgthesource for Legacy and themanadrain for Vintage, but none of the others are great. For sites with articles, I would also recommend checking DailyMTG's articles. They aren't as competitive-oriented as CFB and SCG articles tend to be, and Maro's articles are always great.

If you do Twitter, you could do worse than to create an mtg-oriented list (such as mine https://twitter.com/Xanctakhe/magic, which also has our very own Kirblar). For streaming, the best in my opinion are Adan Prosak (AProsak), AJ Sacher (AJSacher), Brian Kibler (bmkibler), Cedric Phillips (CeddyP), Chris Anderson (Chranderberries, his thursday lose a game-take a shot challenge nights are great), and Jon Finkel (Jonnymagic00), plus MagicProTour and SCGLive for their Grand Prix, Pro Tour, and SCG Open coverage (practically every weekend, and often at the same time). I follow a lot of mtg twitch.tv channels though, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Is he decent? First I ever heard of him was on Thursday when he was streaming opening a box of GTC, and his and Kibler were taking a huge number of watchers from the usual mtg streams.
Dunno, I really like him. I mostly like his deck teck stuff he does on mondays but he also has lepore report and other stuff he does. He does less popular decks and user submitted decks and tries to improve them. Before I stopped playing I was mostly using weird decks that he showcased, they were a lot more fun to play for me than delver and other stuff.

y2dvd

Yeah, I used to split boxes with whatever packs we assigned each other and keep whatever we get, then trade with each other afterwards. I usually would get the short end of the stick though. Since moving, I don't have a casual group to play with anymore so I'm not getting a box, but I plan on drafting often.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sigh. No Aurelia's Fury, no Aurelia, 1 Boros Charm, no Breeding Pools, no Glaring Spotlight, none of the guild leaders period. Got the two planeswalkers.

Pretty shit openings. I thought to self "Self, go to SCG and just buy the singles you missed opening. Surely, it will be cheaper."

$612. MtG, pls

Sigh. No Aurelia's Fury, no Aurelia, 1 Boros Charm, no Breeding Pools, no Glaring Spotlight, none of the guild leaders period. Got the two planeswalkers.

Pretty shit openings. I thought to self "Self, go to SCG and just buy the singles you missed opening. Surely, it will be cheaper."

$612. MtG, pls

:lol Quit whenever you want eh...? ;)

WanderingWind

:lol Quit whenever you want eh...? ;)

Well, to be honest, if the prices don't go down on some of those (the lands won't, I don't see either Aurelia's doing anything but going up) I'm probably done with GTC.

I can accept shit openings. It's the risk you take. But when the set is so heavy in utterly crappy rares/mythics, it's a losing proposition to open sealed product and with the good singles being so expensive, I just don't have the interest in spending more on 50 cards than I spent on my first car.

Well, to be honest, if the prices don't go down on some of those (the lands won't, I don't see either Aurelia's doing anything but going up) I'm probably done with GTC.

I can accept shit openings. It's the risk you take. But when the set is so heavy in utterly crappy rares/mythics, it's a losing proposition to open sealed product and with the good singles being so expensive, I just don't have the interest in spending more on 50 cards than I spent on my first car.

Haha, can't argue with that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Could cast every GGG, RRWW, and WWW spell with ease. Standard manabase is amazing.

It's good, but the crazy manabases peope are trying are part of the reason I've gone and started playing RDW again. Your manabase stumbles even once and I probably have the game.

On that note, Volcanic Strength makes for a surprisingly decent sideboard card with all the stomping ground and sacred foundry around.

kirblar

It's good, but the crazy manabases peope are trying are part of the reason I've gone and started playing RDW again. Your manabase stumbles even once and I probably have the game.

On that note, Volcanic Strength makes for a surprisingly decent sideboard card with all the stomping ground and sacred foundry around.
Giant Strength used to show up in RDW mirrors back in the day.

That reminds me: I'm a fairly new player starting out, which streams and sites does the Gaf community recommend paying attention to?

I prefer TCG over Channel Fireball, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/?partner=WWWTCG
However, both of them are comparable to SCG, and are free so they get the nod. I concur with the sentiment about mtgsalvation.

ultron87

I'm not going to buy a box of Gatecrash. I'll still pick up random packs at the grocery occasionally but I'll just put my usual box money towards singles (which is what I truly should always do).

noquarter

I'm not going to buy a box of Gatecrash. I'll still pick up random packs at the grocery occasionally but I'll just put my usual box money towards singles (which is what I truly should always do).
I would agree that you usually should put it towards singles, but RTR had a pretty good chance to make you money on its first week or so.

GTC isn't really looking that good right now, I got a fat pack and a couple packs yesterday and really didn't pull crap. Oh well, after we finish moving I'll be drafting a lot anyway.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that one wasted split box of Gatecrash was enough for me. Really soured me on buying boosters. I don't think I'll buy any more cards until I see what Dragon's Maze is like and just have fun building decks from the cards I already have.

Also, I really wish I talked to you guys BEFORE we decided to just randomly split up the boosters and keep whatever we get, it is a much better idea to draft for the rares if you share a box with people...

For the record, our box had: Aurelia, Zegana, Aurelia's Fury, Duskmantle Seer, Fathom Mage, Assemble the Legion, Frontline Medic, a foil Deathpact Angel, Clan Defiance, Spark Trooper, Blind Obedience, Realmwright, Stolen Identity, Biomass Mutation, Boros Reckoner, I think one shockland, and Thespian's Stage among others.

I got none of those, what I got in my nine packs was a Firemane Avenger, Five Alarm Fire, and a bunch of stuff too shitty to even remember...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, I really wish I talked to you guys BEFORE we decided to just randomly split up the boosters and keep whatever we get, it is a much better idea to draft for the rares if you share a box with people...

Yeah, our group redrafts rares at the end of every draft partially to have prizes but mostly to keep people from picking cards based on money.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, our group redrafts rares at the end of every draft partially to have prizes but mostly to keep people from picking cards based on money.

So after drafts you pick rares randomly? I don't see what's wrong with going by monetary value.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So after drafts you pick rares randomly? I don't see what's wrong with going by monetary value.

No, after drafts the rares are placed on a table and everyone is ranked according to how they placed (we do Swiss rounds). Then we go down the list and everyone takes a rare from the table, and we do that three times. It makes most of us happy since those who place first and second usually get the money cards if there are any and the selection process (and our diverse tastes) means that we can pick out the "wacky" or "strong but not valuable" rares we want for our decks.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
No, after drafts the rares are placed on a table and everyone is ranked according to how they placed (we do Swiss rounds). Then we go down the list and everyone takes a rare from the table, and we do that three times. It makes most of us happy since those who place first and second usually get the money cards if there are any and the selection process (and our diverse tastes) means that we can pick out the "wacky" or "strong but not valuable" rares we want for our decks.

Isn't that standard practise though? It sounded kind of like you were denouncing it before.

An-Det

Yeah that's how we do teams drafts as well. I dont begrudge money drafting when appropriate (god knows everyone has done it at some point), but auctioning the rares based on record encourages playing better. It's better for smaller stuff like team drafts though. I've been to stores that do it for tournaments and FNM's and it's a pain in the ass.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Me too. I can't imagine pulling a money card out of a pack I paid for and having to hand it over. Nope.

What's the alternative? My LGS's drafts cost $18 (the price of three boosters), and there's a rare draft at the end. Is it different in the states? There's also an unsanctioned draft that costs $18, there's a rare draft at the end, winner gets 3 boosters, everyone else gets 1. The winner used to get a fat pack, but they were losing too much money. They're probably still losing money.

f0rk

What's the alternative? My LGS's drafts cost $18 (the price of three boosters), and there's a rare draft at the end. Is it different in the states? There's also an unsanctioned draft that costs $18, there's a rare draft at the end, winner gets 3 boosters, everyone else gets 1. The winner used to get a fat pack, but they were losing too much money. They're probably still losing money.

You keep what you open?

I don't have a problem with it but having to wait around for everyone afterwards on a friday night would just piss people off, especially when most people at FNM aren't that good.

Turn on SCGLive and there's a neckbeard wearing a trilby ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The alternative is that everyone goes home with what they drafted.

My drafts (in Canada) cost $15 which is 3 boosters plus $5 for the prize pool.

WanderingWind

Winner gets some prize, either packs, fat pack, bigger stores have done booster box, other sealed product, etc.

But the people who don't win at least get to go home with what they bought.

Traded Gideon for Aurelia's Fury. 3 more to go.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
But the people who don't win at least get to go home with what they bought.

Unless you consider the purchase to be of a place in the rare pool. I guess rare drafts are more popular in Australia when there's a smaller density of players and it makes more financial sense to not charge extra for a small prize pool.

I'd personally be pissed if I won outright and I went home with a lousy booster and someone else got an Aurelia's, Obdezat, e.c.t.

WanderingWind

That seems like a terrible trade for whoever gave you the Fury. Nice work!

Lol, I agree. But SCG says they're roughly the same price.

Unless you consider the purchase to be of a place in the rare pool. I guess rare drafts are more popular in Australia when there's a smaller density of players and it makes more financial sense to not charge extra for a small prize pool.

I'd personally be pissed if I won outright and I went home with a lousy booster and someone else got an Aurelia's, Obdezat, e.c.t.

Conversely, it would suck for everybody else who didn't win to give up what they pulled if they didn't win. I think this way leads to more people being happy, not just the winner and the people who aren't happy are just victims of the luck of their own draws/draft skills

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Conversely, it would suck for everybody else who didn't win to give up what they pulled if they didn't win.

That's the thing though, you don't "pull" anything in a rare draft. The boosters don't belong to you, you're paying for entry into the competition, the prize is your ranking in the pool.

I think this way leads to more people being happy, not just the winner and the people who aren't happy are just victims of the luck of their own draws/draft skills

The trick is to not be a victim of how bad you are at drafting/ playing.

I have it on quiet in the background. I don't know what shocked me more- his misplay, or the fact that it was turn 1 billion and he didn't have a mountain?

What did I miss?

WanderingWind

That's the thing though, you don't "pull" anything in a rare draft. The boosters don't belong to you, you're paying for entry into the competition, the prize is your ranking in the pool.

The trick is to not be a victim of how bad you are at drafting/ playing.

But in a normal draft that stuff does belong to you AND you get a prize if you win. It's a literally win-win and nobody goes home empty handed.

And nobody wins all the time ;)

f0rk

But in a normal draft that stuff does belong to you AND you get a prize if you win. It's a literally win-win and nobody goes home empty handed.

I'd rather get to pick the best rare from the draft than have more boosters to open though.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Opening nothing of value and winning a booster with a dud rare isn't what I'd call winning. No-one goes how empty-handed in a rare draft, but they only get what they've earned.

bigkrev

What did I miss?

Guy topdecks Conscripts, allowing him to steal his opponents only untapped creature (Olivia), and attack for 13 (opponent is at 11). His opponent abrupt decays the Strangleroot (with a counter on it), meaning the attack is only for 10. If he had a Mountain, his Flinthoof Boar would have been a 3/3, and he tapped all of his red mana playing the conscripts, leaving him with a bunch of untapped lands that couldn't activate Olivia. He died on the crackback.

Yeef

Opening nothing of value and winning a booster with a dud rare isn't what I'd call winning. No-one goes how empty-handed in a rare draft, but they only get what they've earned.
Sounds like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

How are drops handled? It seems like redrafting would encourage people to drop immediately after opening their packs if they get something good. It also discourages new players from playing at all.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

How are drops handled? It seems like redrafting would encourage people to drop immediately after opening their packs if they get something good. It also discourages new players from playing at all.

If you leave, you leave your rares/ foils behind. Usually if someone drops after a few games, they'll ask someone to choose whatever is decent when their pick is up and give them to them later.

Top Bottom