• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Depends what cards, I wouldn't sell any Modern staples like Snapcaster, Lilliana, Geist of St Traft, Restoration Angel etc

I have 0 desire to play modern at this point, as the expense to get in to it is beyond my reach. I don't have the funding to invest into goyfs and bobs and everything else.

Though they can't hit players, Mortars and Electrickery seem better than Shock no? Or at least their ceiling is higher (i.e. when they are good they are MUCH better). I'm concerned about Pillar of Flame leaving though. That's like the only card in the format that helps keep Voice of Resurgence in check :(

There will be instances where Mortars and Electrickery are better, but part of what makes RDW so strong, imo, is the fact that it's kill spells can double as reach, which help give the deck a much more consistent game 1, and help free up sideboard space.

Plus, when you factor in Planeswalkers, Hexproof, Regeneration/Indestructible, Undying, ETB effects, or how quickly cards like Lingering Souls and Intangible Virtue can outpace the quality of your burn spells, having the option to target the opponent is simply indispensable.

Hey guys quick question I am at my local target and they have little hard plastic cases and what looks like random magic cards in clear wrapping inside them for 30 bucks. What are these? Are they random? Or what? It looks super random to me.

Any help would be great.

OnPoint

Hey guys quick question I am at my local target and they have little hard plastic cases and what looks like random magic cards in clear wrapping inside them for 30 bucks. What are these? Are they random? Or what? It looks super random to me.

Any help would be great.

They're precons that have been repackaged to sell together at a discounted rate. Some are missing the foils that came with the actual packages though, like the Venser vs Koth duel decks not having the planeswalkers, for example.

kirblar

Any help would be great.
Not so much anymore, but you used to be able to find rare/out of print decks there.

They're precons that have been repackaged to sell together at a discounted rate. Some are missing the foils that came with the actual packages though, like the Venser vs Koth duel decks not having the planeswalkers, for example.

Thanks for the quick response man.

bigkrev

Any help would be great.

They can be anything from precons, to Planechase/Archenemy decks, to Commander Decks, to the Basic Land packs found in Fat Packs.

ultron87

I found one of those with a Time Spiral tournament pack in it. That was a pretty fun one to open even if I didn't get anything particularly amazing as someone who wasn't playing back then.

This is going to be so broken in EDH.

cU8y8dh.jpg

ultron87

I guess they are going with the "make the deck for casuals to build so obvious that we just put the names of each card on the other cards" theme. See also: Marauding Maulhorn and Advocate of the Beast.

bigkrev

If Witch was a uncommon, it might be a cool draft deck. As a rare, you're never getting more than 1 and thus the deck will suck

Crocodile

They really need to take a look at what they're doing w/ the core set power level.

To be fair, coresets have given us the Titans, Thragtusk, Thundermaw Hellkite, Baneslayer Angel, Doom Blade, Preordain, Garruk 3.0, etc.

That being said, I have NO idea what's going on with this coreset. I feel like they are just throwing darts at a board when making these cards. I'm just hoping cards like Door to Destines and Mutavault are for more than just the Sliver deck and maybe hinting at a tribal theme in Theros ala Innistrad (but with Minotaurs and Giants and stuff rather than werewolves). I'm also getting vibes of an enchantment theme too which I hoping/assume is a hint towards Theros as well.

M13 was a blast to draft. Obviously you have to see the entire set to get a feel for its limited viability, but at the moment I'm just not seeing it in M14 other than "draft slivers."

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";67623941]So I have Malignus, can he be blocked or is this like super trample?

imagehds01.jpg

[/QUOTE]

He fights like any other creature and can be normally blocked. No trample or anything like that. The "damage can't be prevented" part will stop stuff like Fog, Safe Passage or Protection From Red from stopping his damage.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";67623941]So I have Malignus, can he be blocked or is this like super trample?[/QUOTE]

He can be blocked, you just can't prevent the damage he deals, so for instance if a protection from red guy blocks him, he still gets smashed. Fog effects don't work either.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";67625196]Oh wow, beating protection is awesome. What about indestructible?
[/quote]

Won't beat indestructible since indestructible means damage can't kill the thing.

If I give him double strike do I win the game?

Sadly no. His P/T will instantly adjust after the first strike damage so you'll get them down to 3/4 of their former life total. (Unless you're playing multiplayer and someone else is at a higher life total.)

What happens if I block/attack with a creature then exile it with Nephalia Smuggler? Does the damage it does remain or does it just leave combat entirely?

Won't beat indestructible since indestructible means damage can't kill the thing.

Sadly no. His P/T will instantly adjust after the first strike damage so you'll get them down to 3/4 of their former life total. (Unless you're playing multiplayer and someone else is at a higher life total.)

Ok, thanks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";67628036]What happens if I block/attack with a creature then exile it with Nephalia Smuggler? Does the damage it does remain or does it just leave combat entirely?
[/QUOTE]

Damage doesn't stick around.
It used to, or rather, you used to be able to exile it between damage being assigned and damage being dealt, but they changed it a few years back. Now as soon as the damage is assigned it happens, no chance to do anything like activate any effects, so if you're going to exile it it has to be exiled before damage is even assigned if you don't want it to take any damage itself.

rCIZZLE

There's about no way I'm paying any more than draft fees for this set unless they spoil something amazing. Guess they figure M14 will have enough momentum from RTR that they can save a hype-bomb like Thoughtseize for another set.

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";67629036]So it still counts as having blocked a creature, just no damage went to either one?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Assuming the blocked creature doesn't have trample, it won't deal any damage to you or the 'flickered' creature; it was still blocked, but now finds itself unable to hit the creature blocking it.

This doesn't work on tramplers, since the trampler will just think "oh, I've dealt lethal damage to everything blocking me (nothing); I'll just go and deal the rest to the defending player".

If you flicker an attacking creature, it returns to the battlefield as a new object (i.e. no longer attacking). Anything blocking it will suddenly find itself not fighting anything, and no damage will be dealt.

The same applies for anything else that causes a creature to leave the battlefield; for example, you can block an attacking creature, then sacrifice the blocker before damage is dealt; you won't take any damage, and the sacrifice effect will presumably be more useful than letting the creature die in combat. For example, you can block with Sakura-Tribe Elder, then sacrifice it to search for a land and avoid taking damage.

So much for trying to pull back on Hexproof. Come on.

p96XHV6.jpg

Solid, but not broken. Blue or Black would have trouble dealing with this card, but it is not insurmountable for them, and isn't nearly as oppressive to the board state as Thragtusk is.

I like it.

ultron87

Seems to be combating control and/or flash.

Not really that strange IMO.

I guess it locks things down even better with Voice.

For a core set the ability seems kind of specific and complex for a newer player to see and understand. It requires paying attention to everything opponent's cast on your turn and knowing its color. Which is a fine skill to teach certainly, but seems a little more complex than they usually go.

And just as a card it doesn't even seem that great at its job except for carrying auras. It will still get constantly jumped by Restoration Angels until rotation unless it has some pants on. And you can still just dig at the end of their turn with Sphinx's or Azorius Charm for a wrath that this thing does nothing against.

As a control fighter Voice is just vastly superior to it.

OnPoint

For a core set the ability seems kind of specific and complex for a newer player to see and understand. It requires paying attention to everything opponent's cast on your turn and knowing its color. Which is a fine skill to teach certainly, but seems a little more complex than they usually go.

And just as a card it doesn't even seem that great at its job except for carrying auras. It will still get constantly jumped by Restoration Angels until rotation unless it has some pants on. And you can still just dig at the end of their turn with Sphinx's or Azorius Charm for a wrath that this thing does nothing against.

As a control fighter Voice is just vastly superior to it.

Not saying it's better than Voice. But they do play nicely together.

And as for it being bounced on by Resto Angels, well, that's every card with 3 or less toughness. It's another tool good at fighting control, regardless.

bigkrev

p96XHV6.jpg

I can't even

Why.

For the love of god Wizards, just put Hexproof on creatures that cost 6+ mana. Or at least properly cost the ability in relation to its power level (like Double Strike)

Yeef

Wouldn't be surprised if it were part of a rare cycle of enemy color haters. Goes along with the Fiendslayer Paladin. I wonder it they'll all cost 1CC.

Crocodile

p96XHV6.jpg

Unless you want them to A) get rid of Hexproof (i.e. not happening) or B) only put the ability on 7 mana 2/2s (but then who would want the card?) I'm not sure how this is not holding back? The card is even worse than Troll Astetic.

I can't even

Why.

For the love of god Wizards, just put Hexproof on creatures that cost 6+ mana. Or at least properly cost the ability in relation to its power level (like Double Strike)

Your tears, let me drink them :p

Nah in all seriousness I don't think you have much to worry about. It has no evasion, only hits for three and doesn't even do that good a job of hosing Blue & Black. I don't think this is a card you have to worry about :)

This card is totally fine and not even all that good.

As I've said before, hexproof belongs on green creatures. If that color can't easily interact with opposing creatures, there's nothing wrong with giving it creatures that the other colors can't easily interact with either.

OnPoint

This card is totally fine and not even all that good.

As I've said before, hexproof belongs on green creatures. If that color can't easily interact with opposing creatures, there's nothing wrong with giving it creatures that the other colors can't easily interact with either.

I like it as the natural evolutionary foil to blue, its enemy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, I just noticed they changed Online's player rewards from logins to buying stuff in the store or participating in drafts.

No wonder I haven't gotten any promos in a while since all I do is play Planeswalker on the service. Nice. :/

bigkrev

Does anyone else watch streams on Twitch? I've been watching a ton of Paul Cheon's stream lately, because of the schedule (starting anywhere from 8pm, going as late as 3am), to the guests he has on (LSV drops in via Skype all the time to try and ruin his drafts), and a high skill level of play. Also, no crappy music like 99% of streams!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea Cheon's streams are great.

I'll sometimes watch a Travis Woo stream if I want to see some ridiculous decks. Can't watch them live though, gotta be able to fast forward through all his nonsense.

Top Bottom