• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

rCIZZLE

Bans are pretty much the one thing that'll keep me away from Modern. I don't care how dominating a deck is, Wizards has the power to print cards that either bring others up near the same level or to nerf the power level of the cards. Nothing is mental misstep in legacy levels of stupid.

ultron87

Your opponent is not required to remind you if they don’t want to.

Under every single definition of cheating they've given, this ^ should continue to be cheating. They continue to get this trigger thing wrong, and it should be both players' obligation to maintain the game state.

It seems like this iteration is probably the best if they're going to get if they are still going with the general idea of avoiding reminding your opponent to kill you. They are at least avoiding most of the super dumb "gotcha" moments with this one.

Jarate

Banned
Bans are pretty much the one thing that'll keep me away from Modern. I don't care how dominating a deck is, Wizards has the power to print cards that either bring others up near the same level or to nerf the power level of the cards. Nothing is mental misstep in legacy levels of stupid.

Modern is at its best when a lot of the top tier players are all using different decks that do different things.

I think wizards does it to get that state more often instead of it being Jund circle jerk.

OnPoint

Modern is at its best when a lot of the top tier players are all using different decks that do different things.

I think wizards does it to get that state more often instead of it being Jund circle jerk.

This is certainly true. A format might have a best deck, but Jund was becoming oppressive. That much was clear. And diversity makes for an interesting format.

From an outside perspective, though, it's hard to want to pull the trigger and make the jump to Modern. The format is still young enough that anything that's amazing could see the banhammer, and it makes investing in it a risky proposition. I'd absolutely love to take the plunge, but cards like 'Goyf and Bob -- which I'd want to play with some times -- just cost WAY too much money.

ultron87

Can someone explain what event decks are? Are they something like intro packs? I would love to get the boros one

They are decks that are supposed to be somewhat competitive for Friday Night Magic out of the box and they come with a sideboard so you can use them in a competitive event immediately. Their general card quality is much higher than an intro deck. And they are more expensive as a result. Though both of these ones seem like they'd be a good deal at MSRB.

You'll need to go to a card shop to find them though, since they aren't sold by big box stores.

JulianImp

So, the Simic deck ended up being completely unrelated to the guild it advertises. It's some kind of generic UGr deck with no simic cards in it except for a sorcery and the simic guildgate... it really let me down. I wish it would've had some evolve cards (they'd probably work well with Deadeye Navigator), and either more guildgates or a Hinterland Harbor. It even has sideboarded red spells while running a single mountain and two ways to fetch it!

While I'd like to buy some Thragtusks for my deck (I'd only need at least one since it can be fetched by Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, anyway), they're really expensive around here, so I'll have to look around for a while to find a copy that's reasonably priced.

Now I'm thinking about building the following deck:

Land (24)
3 Hinterland Harbor
10 Forest
9 Island
2 Ghost Quarter

Creatures (23)
4 Cloudfin Raptor
2 Ulvenwald Tracker
4 Strangleroot Geist
3 Zameck Guildmage
1 Wolfir Avenger
2 Borderland Ranger
1 Dungeon Geists
2 Deadbridge Goliath
3 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Strumgeist

Spells (13)
1 Rancor
1 Cyclonic Rift
3 Tracker's Instincts
3 Spell Rupture/Dissipate
2 Garruk Relentless
1 Ooze Flux
2 Syncopate

Sideboard
2 Pithing Needle
3 Young Wolf
1 Deathrite Shaman
3 Mayor of Avabruck
1 Nightshade Peddler
3 Stormbound Geist
2 AEtherize

The deck's made with cards I own (except for the AEtherize and a pair of Zameck Guildmages), and came to be when I noticed the synergy between the new Simic Guildmage and Undying.

If I have the chance, I intend to add a pair of Vorapedes (to stay on-budget), Breeding Pools (if I manage to trade my surplus shocklands for them) and perhaps some Simic Charms; I'm also considering Yeva, Nature's Herald, although I'm not sure what I'd take out for her.

The sideboard is a bit strange since I'm not sure what I should add. The Undying critters are meant to slow aggro down while further enabling Zameck Guildmage shenanigans, while the Mayors are meant to punish slower decks while pumping some of my creatures.

Any suggestions?

HAVE
Stomping Ground
Duskmantle Seer
Inquisition of Kozilek
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Golgari Grave-Troll
Enter the Infinite
Merciless Eviction
Sylvan Primordial
Immortal Servitude
Realmwright
--------------------
WANT
Pristine Angel
Pariah's Shield
Jace, Architect of Thought
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Mind Grind
Consuming Aberration
Nightveil Specter
Undercity Plague

HAVE
Inquisition of Kozilek
Frontline Medic
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Boros Charm
Golgari Grave-Troll
Enter the Infinite
Merciless Eviction
Sylvan Primordial
Immortal Servitude
Realmwright
--------------------
WANT
Ajani Goldmane
Garruk Wildspeaker
Pristine Angel
Pariah's Shield
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Mind Grind
Consuming Aberration
Nightveil Specter
Undercity Plague

Id give you undercity plague for frontline medic, but I think that wouldn't be a good deal for you...that's the only one I have on that list I think though

I must have the worst magic sense in the world because I got a Godless Shrine and thought it was pretty cool but I thought my Gyre Sage and Frontline Medic were way better. Godless Shrine is selling for like 16 bucks, though. I also thught Undercity Plague was really cool but it's worthless.

HAVE
Inquisition of Kozilek
Frontline Medic
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Boros Charm
Golgari Grave-Troll
Enter the Infinite
Merciless Eviction
Sylvan Primordial
Immortal Servitude
Realmwright
--------------------
WANT
Ajani Goldmane
Garruk Wildspeaker
Pristine Angel
Pariah's Shield
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Mind Grind
Consuming Aberration
Nightveil Specter
Undercity Plague
I have Undercity Plague and Consuming Aberation.

ultron87

I must have the worst magic sense in the world because I got a Godless Shrine and thought it was pretty cool but I thought my Gyre Sage and Frontline Medic were way better. Godless Shrine is selling for like 16 bucks, though. I also thught Undercity Plague was really cool but it's worthless.

Dual lands are the unimpressive but necessary part of making a deck that runs well. They sell for so much because anyone that wants to be competitive needs them.

How much longer is AVR legal?
Dual lands are the unimpressive but necessary part of making a deck that runs well. They sell for so much because anyone that wants to be competitive needs them.

Makes sense, guess that one-turn difference from Orzhov guildgate is pretty huge.

rCIZZLE

How much longer is AVR legal?

Makes sense, guess that one-turn difference from Orzhov guildgate is pretty huge.

AVR is legal until the next block releases early fall..

Being able to cast untapped is pretty huge too. Also godless shrine, and the other shocks, can be found with fetches whereas guildgates and most other nonbasics cannot.

My favorite are the lands that make you return another land to your hand when you put them in play.You don't really lose anything and you get to use another land's abilities multiple times. I like artifact lands, too. And Buried Ruin.

ultron87

My favorite are the lands that make you return another land to your hand when you put them in play.You don't really lose anything and you get to use another land's abilities multiple times. I like artifact lands, too. And Buried Ruin.

Yeah, Bouncelands are pretty cool since they effectively draw you a card. Were those ever used in Constructed or was the risk of getting blown out by land destruction or drawing a hand full of them too much?

Volimar

From my twitter feed:

QHF5SKd.jpg

I kind of want Jace's robe.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, Bouncelands are pretty cool since they effectively draw you a card. Were those ever used in Constructed or was the risk of getting blown out by land destruction or drawing a hand full of them too much?

I...think I remember them in a few constructed decks. I know they're still popular to this day in my EDH group. I don't remember a lot of land destruction around the time of OG Ravnica

I also have a Duskmantle Seer

Cool, what would you like for them? ( http://deckbox.org/sets/197236?s=j&o=d )

I thought about Merciless Eviction because I was considering making a white/black deck, but it's kinda expensive and if I was gonna do that I'd keep the plague. That leaves Frontline Medic so I'd have two of them and I'm interested in white, but like it was said earlier that's a much better card than my two.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wizards marketing department just...just kind of sucks, to be honest. So many merchandizing options that are just be left on the table. STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT FOOLS

- Jace hoodie
- Actual guild shirts with more than a lazy center design logo
- Deck boxes with guild/shard designs
- PW figurines
- Tokens/counters with some style
- Redesign the Rake logo. Thing doesn't tell the story of MtG in any real way.
- Fix the commentators on the streams. Put more that a mild amount of effort into them
- Fix the Grand Prix setups. The ones in LA/Anaheim were just broken, from the absurdly long lines, to the lack of food on site (Anaheim) to the crazy amount of people milling about with cash that wanted to buy shit but NOBODY was selling anything outside of the actual cards. Zero official WotC representation. No company on Earth allows third parties to be the sole vendors at a major event.

I can go on and on. I'm writing a story on this and sending it to MaRo. It may not get me a job, but who knows.

Thragtusk will be in the Simic Event Deck.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1161

Plus an article on the Missed Trigger rules. I'm reading through it now to figure out the change.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/233

Edit: Article on the judge blog regarding the trigger update: http://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2013/02/03/missed-triggers-3-the-bonus-disc/. Still processing it all.

Simic deck also has Wolfir Silverheart and 3 Rancor :O

Boros Rally and Route has Thalia, a Champion of the Parish and Silverblade Paladin

3 Boros Guildgate
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Slayers' Stronghold
10 Plains
8 Mountain

4 Boros Elite
1 Champion of the Parish
4 Doomed Traveler
2 Firefist Striker
2 Lightning Mauler
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Ash Zealot
2 Sunhome Guildmage
2 Truefire Paladin
1 Silverblade Paladin
3 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Spark Trooper
4 Pillar of Flame
3 Searing Spear
4 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Boros Charm

3 Electrickery
2 Skullcrack
3 Bonds of Faith
3 War Priest of Thune
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Thunderous Wrath

An-Det

Wizards marketing department just...just kind of sucks, to be honest. So many merchandizing options that are just be left on the table. STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT FOOLS

- Jace hoodie
- PW figurines
- Fix the commentators on the streams. Put more that a mild amount of effort into them
- Fix the Grand Prix setups. The ones in LA/Anaheim were just broken, from the absurdly long lines, to the lack of food on site (Anaheim) to the crazy amount of people milling about with cash that wanted to buy shit but NOBODY was selling anything outside of the actual cards. Zero official WotC representation. No company on Earth allows third parties to be the sole vendors at a major event.

I can go on and on. I'm writing a story on this and sending it to MaRo. It may not get me a job, but who knows.

Agreed on all counts, but what is the Rake logo?

- Jace hoodie
- PW figurines

Wizards actually outsources GPs to outside companies, for the most part.

kirblar

What is this +10 vs -5 thing you mention?

And yeah, I can see Splinter Twin getting banned too.
Chapin mentioned that in setting the power level for the format, they were essentially at a crossroads. They could go to a Legacy-lite power level (unban Jace, Blossom, AV) and end up with -5ish cards off the ban list, or move in the other direction, which would take more bans. They moved the other way, which is fine, but it's going to require more adjustments in the near term.

what do you guys use to hold all your magic cards? ones that are not in decks?!?

I was thinking of grabbing that RTR holiday box that comes with 4 boosters.

rCIZZLE

what do you guys use to hold all your magic cards? ones that are not in decks?!?

Ones I care about? Binders then fatpack boxes then regular white boxes

The rest? shoe boxes, floor, shopping bags, book bag

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I stick them in my empty booster boxes, it's definitely not ideal. I need to go buy some binders, but I'm lazy.

ultron87

The RTR Holiday box is super nice for that.

I have a big 2000 card box I throw bulk stuff in. I keep cards I'm actually interested in playing in some extra fat pack boxes.

Hex

Banned
Simic deck also has Wolfir Silverheart and 3 Rancor :O

Boros Rally and Route has Thalia, a Champion of the Parish and Silverblade Paladin

3 Boros Guildgate
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Slayers' Stronghold
10 Plains
8 Mountain

4 Boros Elite
1 Champion of the Parish
4 Doomed Traveler
2 Firefist Striker
2 Lightning Mauler
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Ash Zealot
2 Sunhome Guildmage
2 Truefire Paladin
1 Silverblade Paladin
3 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Spark Trooper
4 Pillar of Flame
3 Searing Spear
4 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Boros Charm

3 Electrickery
2 Skullcrack
3 Bonds of Faith
3 War Priest of Thune
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Thunderous Wrath

The Boros deck makes my Naya heart very happy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ugh Simic deck looks disappointing aside from Thragtusk, I already have a playset of Wolfirs.

The Boros deck looks like it has more value overall.

\

This is on TO's, not WotC.

Also, every little product you mentioned is only desirable to a very small niche of people. WotC has made the right choice in licensing these things out rather than do them in house.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is on TO's, not WotC.

Also, every little product you mentioned is only desirable to a very small niche of people. WotC has made the right choice in licensing these things out rather than do them in house.

That's the point that I made. WotC needs to take tighter control of its own brand. Right now, it's a free for all that anybody can use basically however they want. Organizers of other events have a massive set of restrictions on what and how events need to happen.

And I also would disagree about the possible reach of a properly controlled merchandizing rollout. The entire game is a niche product, yet they've been very successful. Within that niche, there is a desire. Check any MtG board or thread. People are thirsty for MtG stuff.

Ran by two walmarts on my lunch to grab that RTR box. The first one was sold out the other one was all smashed. :(

I did grab a single Gatecrash booster and got shit. oh I did get a Domri Rade emblem to go with my Domri.

lolz

ajf009

anyone seen what they've been doing at target and walmart? throwing old decks in little clear plastic boxes in groups of 4's, I'm guessing excess product. I've seen 7th edition stuff, Onslaught, Shadowmoor, Kamigawa, and a couple days ago I got one with the elf deck from Elves vs. Goblins, pretty cool. I'm hoping I can get a couple bucks for it since it's still in the plastic

HAVE
Stomping Ground
Duskmantle Seer
Inquisition of Kozilek
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Golgari Grave-Troll
Enter the Infinite
Merciless Eviction
Sylvan Primordial
Immortal Servitude
Realmwright
--------------------
WANT
Pristine Angel
Pariah's Shield
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Mind Grind
Consuming Aberration
Nightveil Specter
Undercity Plague

Ah, didn't know such a card existed. Not much different from exarch it seems, is it common? I never really hear it mentioned.

The modern Splinter Twin deck is more resilient than the old Standard version because it has better counterspell backup, plus it has 8 untappers (Pestermite in addition to Deceiver Exarch) and it generally runs two Kiki-Jiki as additional Twin effects. I don't think it's oppressive to the point of needing any bans though...

Top Bottom