• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Thanks, that's a good point about Scavenging Ooze. I was already unsure about Gifts as the deck is expensive and you can't really half arse the manabase.
What's stopping tap out, is it all the combo? I was thinking 2 of Elspeth, Gideon, 3 mana Jace and maybe Sorin but to be honest it's not that high on my list yet.
I'd forgotten about the control version of Twin but I don't really want to play combo, I'd rather use those 10+ slots on making sure I'm in control.

I priced up U/W at ~£300 which isn't too bad when a playset on Cryptic Commands is £100. I think all the other options would be significantly more expensive as they need fetches, but a lot of the cards in U/W are staples that are good to have.
The other option was Storm, which seems cheap except for the Scalding Tarns

It's really going to depend what your meta is like, tapping out on your turn with a control deck isn't really what you want to be doing.

Lucario

Thanks, that's a good point about Scavenging Ooze. I was already unsure about Gifts as the deck is expensive and you can't really half arse the manabase.
What's stopping tap out, is it all the combo? I was thinking 2 of Elspeth, Gideon, 3 mana Jace and maybe Sorin but to be honest it's not that high on my list yet.
I'd forgotten about the control version of Twin but I don't really want to play combo, I'd rather use those 10+ slots on making sure I'm in control.

I priced up U/W at ~£300 which isn't too bad when a playset on Cryptic Commands is £100. I think all the other options would be significantly more expensive as they need fetches, but a lot of the cards in U/W are staples that are good to have.
The other option was Storm, which seems cheap except for the Scalding Tarns

Why not mono blue tron, if you're looking to play an inexpensive control deck? It's doing better in this format than U/W titan and storm.

Of course, that's the mtgo meta. If you LGS is full of aggro, yeah, play Uw titan.

I play UR Twin. Let's just say that if you play a turn 4 Sorin, you've just given me that game.

y2dvd

Is this real at all?

QmopbWA.jpg

Does mtgo store chats anywhere? OMG, my opponent was bitching and crying so much, I gotta call this guy out.

It's attached to the game log, so if MODO was in a good enough mood to save that game, you can find it in your recent game list. Replay the game to the point where your opponent lost his shit, and the chat will replay everything he said.

3 hours til Players' Championship starts and I haven't slept yet...not good lol.

The timing is fantastic for me. It starts at 6PM here in Perth.

It may be somewhat cliche to say, but Modern Masters really was my favorite draft format of all time (and probably directly responsible for my waffling opinion of DGR drafting). I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the big stage again.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
The timing is fantastic for me. It starts at 6PM here in Perth.

It may be somewhat cliche to say, but Modern Masters really was my favorite draft format of all time (and probably directly responsible for my waffling opinion of DGR drafting). I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the big stage again.

6AM est for me :(

I enjoyed MM as well. Even though the phantom drafts were like negative EV, they were totally worth it.

So apparently Martell and Kibler are still playing game one while Cifka and Watanabe are going to game three.

They each have an active Meloku. That match sounds amazing.

An-Det

So apparently Martell and Kibler are still playing game one while Cifka and Watanabe are going to game three.

They each have an active Meloku. That match sounds amazing.

Goddamnit, I want to watch this shit, I dont want to go to work with this streaming. I'd forgotten LSV would be commentating too, so good.

Cifka is drawing like ass this game. But he's play acting like a master.

And that's it. You can't win when you draw nothing but lands and Absorb Vis. But damn - how good was that Canonist that game?!

How about that Death Denied? I've had the pleasure of playing multiple Death Denied decks in Modern Masters. That card is a massive blowout every single time you cast it. So good.

zoukka

So how is M14 limited? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to play some release events this weekend or just play some Modern constructed events.

It's basic but I think it's pretty fun. I'm not a master limited player though. Has great balance at least for now. Some say B/W is def the best deck and some say green/anything is the best.

bigkrev

Magic HOF Class of 2013

1. Luis Scott-Vargas
2. William "Huey" Jenson
3. Ben Stark

Luis got 95.68% of the vote. 98% Selection committee, 90% Players. So I guess we will never see a unanimous selection

Firemind

His only notable performances in the last two years were three GP Top 8s; his last major win dating back to 2011 and before that, 2009. Yes, his 2008 performance was astonishing, but one good streak alone shouldn't make him eligible for the hall of fame in my opinion. He didn't even win POTY that year; Shuhei Nakamura had 12 more pro points that season.

To me, you have to consistently perform on the highest level on a year-to-year basis to earn your induction. Like Kai Budde. Like Jon Finkel. His PT finishes this year were 327th place (PT Return to Ravnica), 300th place (PT Gatecrash) and 11th place (PT Dragon's Maze). A top 16 finish is impressive, but the other two are awful for a player of his caliber.

Same with Ben Stark honestly. Not that the other nominees deserve it more, but the hall of fame should be something truly special. Now that 3/4 people get inducted every year, it loses that magic. I like lsv. He's a funny and likable guy. I watch most of his drafts and read his set reviews, but is that enough to be part of one of the truly greats? I say no.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
His only notable performances in the last two years were three GP Top 8s; his last major win dating back to 2011 and before that, 2009. Yes, his 2008 performance was astonishing, but one good streak alone shouldn't make him eligible for the hall of fame in my opinion. He didn't even win POTY that year; Shuhei Nakamura had 12 more pro points that season.

To me, you have to consistently perform on the highest level on a year-to-year basis to earn your induction. Like Kai Budde. Like Jon Finkel. His PT finishes this year were 327th place (PT Return to Ravnica), 300th place (PT Gatecrash) and 11th place (PT Dragon's Maze). A top 16 finish is impressive, but the other two are awful for a player of his caliber.

Same with Ben Stark honestly. Not that the other nominees deserve it more, but the hall of fame should be something truly special. Now that 3/4 people get inducted every year, it loses that magic. I like lsv. He's a funny and likable guy. I watch most of his drafts and read his set reviews, but is that enough to be part of one of the truly greats? I say no.

Dude. 3 top 8 GPs in 2 years is amazing. And it's not a honor only recognizing the past 2 years, it's a lifetime thing. 2008 is still pretty damn recent.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's also hall of "fame" not hall of "how many top 8's do you have".

There aren't many players more famous then LSV who aren't already in the Top 8.

Jaeyden

LSV is just plain good for the game. Hall of fames aren't always about stats, sometimes it's about the impact someone has on that particular game. Please feel free to look at every other hall of fame.....ever.

bigkrev

Its really simple- he has 5 PT Top 8s. Most of which came in the era of split format PTs (harder to win as you need to master 2 formats), and fewer pro tours (there were 6 PTs a year up till 2005, not even counting the World Championship.) Everyone who has 5 PT top 8s, isn't a cheater and is eligible for induction is in. This really isn't an argument.

And while it is a hall of fame, it is the PRO TOUR hall of fame. Thats why guys with insane Grand Prix results like Martin Juza, Shouta Yasuoka and Alex Shvartzman who don't have many PT top 8s arent in.

Top Bottom