• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

unreon

Does Goblin Electromancer reduce an X spell cost by 1 in cases like Sphinx's Revelation, Auriela's Fury, etc.? So if I want X=4 I can spend 3 colourless mana to achieve that effect? I get the feeling it doesn't.

Thanks for answering all my questions, guys :)

ultron87

Does Goblin Electromancer reduce an X spell cost by 1 in cases like Sphinx's Revelation, Auriela's Fury, etc.? So if I want X=4 I can spend 3 colourless mana to achieve that effect? I get the feeling it doesn't.

It does. You determine how much you want to cast it for and then apply anything that affects the cost to determine how much to actually spend.

So if I walk through the steps above:

1. Put Sphinx's Revelation on the stack
  2. Decide that X is 4.
  3. No targets
  4. No distributions
  5. Take the base costs (4UUW), add "taxes" (e.g., Thalia), then apply discounts (1 less for Electromancer in this case), for a final cost of (3UUW).
  6. Activate mana abilities (tap your lands)
  7. Pay the cost

unreon

Ahhh, okay that makes a lot of sense. I imagined that you can only discount a colourless before determining the X part of the cost. Cool, thanks!

Hero

It's definitely not in the same place it was prior to terminus/DRS/liliana but it's definitely still relevant just due to consistency and ability to adapt to most matchups. A competitive deck that I enjoy is really all I look for in any format.

I still stand by statement, there's only been like 3 Maverick decks in the top 8 of SCG Legacy events this year so far. There's nothing it can do against a lot of decks anymore. It's way too slow for a "fair" deck without anything really worth playing the deck. I mean why wouldn't you play Brainstorm?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I just 6-0'd an 8-4 with this nuts ass little deck.

9398754102_69976d80ac_o.jpg

Stuck it in and broke it off. Path of Bravery + Archangel is fucking *broken*

rCIZZLE

I still stand by statement, there's only been like 3 Maverick decks in the top 8 of SCG Legacy events this year so far. There's nothing it can do against a lot of decks anymore. It's way too slow for a "fair" deck without anything really worth playing the deck. I mean why wouldn't you play Brainstorm?

I disagree with most of this lol. Yes, it has bad matchups but they're not impossible to win. Like against Miracles I run 5 virtual Teegs MD with 5 ways to protect it in addition to the fast, mostly uninterupted army of critters. As far as speed goes, it's one of the faster fair decks if it needs to be due to ramp, exalted, and kotr. And this deck has plenty of ways to search for what I need as the game progresses that brainstorm isn't really needed. GSZ, kotr, and sylvan library are all pretty excellent.

Hero

I disagree with most of this lol. Yes, it has bad matchups but they're not impossible to win. Like against Miracles I run 5 virtual Teegs MD with 5 ways to protect it in addition to the fast, mostly uninterupted army of critters. As far as speed goes, it's one of the faster fair decks if it needs to be due to ramp, exalted, and kotr. And this deck has plenty of ways to search for what I need as the game progresses that brainstorm isn't really needed. GSZ, kotr, and sylvan library are all pretty excellent.

Not saying it's not impossible to win with the deck. It's still possible to win with several niche archetypes but there is a reason you hardly see it placing in top 8's anymore.

Just played the demo for Duels 2014 and tried the sealed trial.

2 Vampire Nighthawks
2 Giant Scorpions
2 Gravediggers
1 Assassinate
Some dude with power equal to my swamps
1 Angelic Destiny
1 Day of Judgement
Bunch of white protection/healing cards and birds
An artifact where I get 1 life per black spell or swamp

Nice try, Duels of the Planeswalkers. You won't get me that easily.

rCIZZLE

Not saying it's not impossible to win with the deck. It's still possible to win with several niche archetypes but there is a reason you hardly see it placing in top 8's anymore.

Ya the reason is a lot less people play it than a year ago. Also the choices by top performing players has a lot to do with what you see in top 8s.

kirblar

Ya the reason is a lot less people play it than a year ago. Also the choices by top performing players has a lot to do with what you see in top 8s.
A lot less people play it because the deck's gotten more and more badly positioned as time's gone on. (It's a reason, for instance, that Kibler isn't really touching the format or the invitationals anymore.)

rCIZZLE

A lot less people play it because the deck's gotten more and more badly positioned as time's gone on. (It's a reason, for instance, that Kibler isn't really touching the format or the invitationals anymore.)

I disagree but I'd like to see you elaborate. Terminus and lingering souls seem to be getting less popular every week so I just don't see how aggressive creature decks are in any worse position now than, say, a few months ago.

Hero

Well, why exactly do you think there are less people playing it today compared to a year ago? If it was as strong in the current meta game as it was compared to a year ago there would be roughly the same amount of people unless you're going to claim that people stopped playing the deck because of things like simplicity or boredom.

RTR gave a boost to other existing decks and unfortunately GW didn't get much of anything. DRS and Abrupt Decay are absolutely insane in Jund and BUG, far superior to Noble Hierarch. Heck even the Maverick decklist that took SCG Philly Open played 2 DRS and only 2 Noble. It also ran 2 SFM for Sword and Jitte. At this point exactly why aren't you just trying to be a Blade deck variant? Abrupt Decay for the most part killed UWx Miracles. Delver is still ridiculously good. If you want to go prison/tax style with Thalia and Teeg it would appear that Death and Taxes is making an appearance lately. I just don't see a particularly strong, compelling reason to play Maverick when there are better options for "fair" decks.

zoukka

3-0 with yet another B/W, this time with double blightcasters, they truly are nuts. I didn't even have any bombs in the deck, late mark of the vampire usually did the trick.

Also grabbed a Kalonian Hydra to sweeten the draft further :b

rCIZZLE

Well, why exactly do you think there are less people playing it today compared to a year ago? If it was as strong in the current meta game as it was compared to a year ago there would be roughly the same amount of people unless you're going to claim that people stopped playing the deck because of things like simplicity or boredom.

RTR gave a boost to other existing decks and unfortunately GW didn't get much of anything. DRS and Abrupt Decay are absolutely insane in Jund and BUG, far superior to Noble Hierarch. Heck even the Maverick decklist that took SCG Philly Open played 2 DRS and only 2 Noble. It also ran 2 SFM for Sword and Jitte. At this point exactly why aren't you just trying to be a Blade deck variant? Abrupt Decay for the most part killed UWx Miracles. Delver is still ridiculously good. If you want to go prison/tax style with Thalia and Teeg it would appear that Death and Taxes is making an appearance lately. I just don't see a particularly strong, compelling reason to play Maverick when there are better options for "fair" decks.

Miracles was very popular before abrupt decay and during that time people moved away from creature heavy strategies. Using top 8s for measuring (which really is flawed) it's only at 3 this year if I'm seeing it correctly. Maybe the previous mav players moved onto something else or just don't have the ability to rebuy as the metagame changes.

DRS and Noble Hierarch are barely comparable man. Hierarch requires no mana in the graveyard and exalted is still pretty amazing in combat.

A few compelling reasons to play maverick from my experience:
- adaptability due to cards like kotr and gsz
- combo disruption that can enter combat
- favorable matchups versus most other fair decks
- dominating combat is fun

I think they are definitely comparable. They fill the same spot in the deck. You could say the mana ability is not as good, but it's so consistent. It's also a nightmare for control decks as it presents a clock that noble really can't do.

I think maverick is still viable, it's just less prevalent. If people continue to play RUG I think maverick always has a chance.

f0rk

Man there's so much choice in Modern, I want to play a blue control deck that is competitive but it doesn't have to be the definite best. My list of ideas is

Actually good decks with tournament results
U/W/R (This is the one that actually gets played)
4C Gifts (Probably the most expensive and perhaps hardest to play)

Ideas that sound reasonable to me for FNM/monthly win a box
Grixis Cruel Control (this sounds the most fun because who doesn't want to cast Cruel Ultimatum. Would probably be doing the most brewing with this.)
Esper Walkers (Maybe with a token leaning?)
U/W/x Sun Titan (Solar Flare? Sun Titan get back Finks sounds good)
Thirst/Shackles Control (Thirst for Knowledge seems like one of the best draw spells in the format. Not sure if I'm that excited about many of the artifacts though. Could throw U/B Tezzeret in here)

Or I could just buy into U/W/R Geist which is probably better than all the above, but I've always liked to go against the grain a bit and make something of my own and not play the best deck.
End of the day though the investment into all of these is mostly in the manabase, once I have Scalding Tarns etc (and Cryptics maybe, I already have a playset of Snapcasters) it isn't that much more to switch between them.

zoukka

lol someone forced mono counterspells in M14 draft. Countered my first five spells while nugging me with a coral merfolk... won both games with 2 life left. 4 Nephalia Seaskites to go with the counterspells too...

kirblar

Man there's so much choice in Modern, I want to play a blue control deck that is competitive but it doesn't have to be the definite best. My list of ideas is

Grixis Cruel Control (this sounds the most fun because who doesn't want to cast Cruel Ultimatum. Would probably be doing the most brewing with this.)
Thirst/Shackles Control (Thirst for Knowledge seems like one of the best draw spells in the format. Not sure if I'm that excited about many of the artifacts though. Could throw U/B Tezzeret in here)

Or I could just buy into U/W/R Geist which is probably better than all the above, but I've always liked to go against the grain a bit and make something of my own and not play the best deck.
End of the day though the investment into all of these is mostly in the manabase, once I have Scalding Tarns etc (and Cryptics maybe, I already have a playset of Snapcasters) it isn't that much more to switch between them.
I really like U/W Titan. Mostly because it's the one deck I know how to play in the format, lol.

Hero

Miracles was very popular before abrupt decay and during that time people moved away from creature heavy strategies. Using top 8s for measuring (which really is flawed) it's only at 3 this year if I'm seeing it correctly. Maybe the previous mav players moved onto something else or just don't have the ability to rebuy as the metagame changes.

DRS and Noble Hierarch are barely comparable man. Hierarch requires no mana in the graveyard and exalted is still pretty amazing in combat.

A few compelling reasons to play maverick from my experience:
- adaptability due to cards like kotr and gsz
- combo disruption that can enter combat
- favorable matchups versus most other fair decks
- dominating combat is fun

Miracles was popular before, that much we are in agreement. Post Abrupt Decay it still exists but no where near the same capacity.

What kind of measurement would you propose exactly?

This guy compiles the metagame data for Legacy tournaments and you can see that Maverick barely makes the 10th slot, with 11th being Elves and due to the new Legend rule I would expect some people to start abusing Gaea's Cradle with.

And you're right, DRS and Noble are barely comparable because one is 3/5th of a mana dork that pumps up a lone attacking creature and the other is Birds of Paradise that can block Goblin Lackey for days while eating graveyards to give you life or deal damage to your opponent.

If anyone would like to trade:

HAVE
http://deckbox.org/sets/197236?s=j&o=d
Chandra, Pyromaster
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Ajani, Caller of the Pride FOIL
Darksteel Forge
Xathrid Necromancer
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Mizzium Mortars
Rhox Faithmender
Desecration Demon
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Ratchet Bomb PROMO
Dark Prophecy
Ratchet Bomb
Silence
Haunted Plate Mail
Liliana's Reaver
Young Pyromancer
Golgari Grave-Troll
Experiment One
Lord of the Void
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Augur of Bolas
Plasm Capture
Renounce the Guilds

WANT
http://deckbox.org/sets/197237?s=j&o=d

Sliver Overlord
Pristine Angel
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Sliver Queen
Sliver Legion
Glimpse the Unthinkable
Command Tower
Cavern of Souls
Toxin Sliver
Mirror Entity
Mind Over Matter
Consecrated Sphinx
Coat of Arms
Magma Sliver
Arcanis the Omnipotent

Slivers
EDH Cards
Trading in bulk is ok

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If anyone would like to trade:

HAVE
http://deckbox.org/sets/197236?s=j&o=d
Chandra, Pyromaster
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Ajani, Caller of the Pride FOIL
Darksteel Forge
Xathrid Necromancer
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Mizzium Mortars
Rhox Faithmender
Desecration Demon
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Ratchet Bomb PROMO
Dark Prophecy
Ratchet Bomb
Silence
Haunted Plate Mail
Liliana's Reaver
Young Pyromancer
Golgari Grave-Troll
Experiment One
Lord of the Void
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Augur of Bolas
Plasm Capture
Renounce the Guilds

WANT
http://deckbox.org/sets/197237?s=j&o=d

Sliver Overlord
Pristine Angel
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Sliver Queen
Sliver Legion
Glimpse the Unthinkable
Command Tower
Cavern of Souls
Toxin Sliver
Mirror Entity
Mind Over Matter
Consecrated Sphinx
Coat of Arms
Magma Sliver
Arcanis the Omnipotent

Slivers
EDH Cards
Trading in bulk is ok

I PM'd you yesterday, but in case you didn't get it, i have the Divinities, Command Towers, Rofellos, Vials, Revenant, Serra Ascendents, Con Sphinx, Coat of Arms, Arcanis and a ton of other stuff you're looking for.

I'm looking for the Necromancer and the Reaver.

f0rk

I really like U/W Titan. Mostly because it's the one deck I know how to play in the format, lol.

Do you play just the two colours? Going by what I saw at a win a box at the weekend I'd need ways to kill Affinity and Geist, so Pyroclasm seems really good. Or adding black for Unburial Rites, Lingering Souls and some sacrifice effects.

Do you play just the two colours? Going by what I saw at a win a box at the weekend I'd need ways to kill Affinity and Geist, so Pyroclasm seems really good. Or adding black for Unburial Rites and some sacrifice effects.

you get wrath effects in blue white and can't you play kitchen finks?

that should help a ton

as well as path to exile.

kirblar

Do you play just the two colours? Going by what I saw at a win a box at the weekend I'd need ways to kill Affinity and Geist, so Pyroclasm seems really good. Or adding black for Unburial Rites, Lingering Souls and some sacrifice effects.
You blow up Affinity (Wrath + Path + Snare + Sphere + White Enchantments = gg)

And yes, U/W Titan plays 4x Finks. Geist isn't an issue.

f0rk

You blow up Affinity (Wrath + Path + Snare + Sphere + White Enchantments = gg)

And yes, U/W Titan plays 4x Finks. Geist isn't an issue.

That makes sense. Seems it doesn't have to play any fetches when it's 2 colours which makes it a lot cheaper. Do you play Tectonic Edge as well?

Jaeyden

I'm a bit stumped on this one and oracle doesn't help me much. I know that the enchantment taps but is it ONLY the creature that is enchanted or ANY creature that is enchanted?

Image.ashx

Also...all my money is on this Future Sight mechanic returning in Theros.

Aura Swap

Image.ashx

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm a bit stumped on this one and oracle doesn't help me much. I know that the enchantment taps but is it ONLY the creature that is enchanted or ANY creature that is enchanted?

Image.ashx

"Tap enchanted creature" translates to "tap the creature that this enchantment enchants".

If it worked on all enchanted creatures, it would read "tap target creature that is enchanted by an Aura".

Jaeyden

Cheers! That's what my gut was telling me but had to check.

Also, Fork are you playing in the win a box this weekend in Leeds? Was thinking about joining a few friends and going. I haven't been there yet and not quite sure what the meta is like.

Edit: Aww..just noticed that it's standard that they are going to. Bleh..maybe next time.

f0rk

Cheers! That's what my gut was telling me but had to check.

Also, Fork are you playing in the win a box this weekend in Leeds? Was thinking about joining a few friends and going. I haven't been there yet and not quite sure what the meta is like.

Edit: Aww..just noticed that it's standard that they are going to. Bleh..maybe next time.

I'm not living in Leeds again for another month, but I did say hi at a Travelling Man modern one this weekend just gone, it's what made me decide I need to buy into a deck. There were around 24 players. I think there's a bit of tension between TM and Patriot atm. Past September I'll definitely be trying to get to as many Modern ones as possible.

bigkrev

So, anyone going to watch the World Championship starting tommorrow? It starts at 6 AM on the east coast tomorrow- it's going to suck getting up for if your on the west coast.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, anyone going to watch the World Championship starting tommorrow? It starts at 6 AM on the east coast tomorrow- it's going to suck getting up for if your on the west coast.

Don't people have jobs anymore? Who's watching MtG at 3-6am on a Wednesday???

Grrr

An-Det

Can someone explain what everyone on my mtg twitter feed is talking about regarding a ban, tokens being ripped, and SCG? I saw mention of something on Drew Levin's facebook wall yesterday but didn't see anything, and now it's all people seem to be talking about.,

bigkrev

Can someone explain what everyone on my mtg twitter feed is talking about regarding a ban, tokens being ripped, and SCG? I saw mention of something on Drew Levin's facebook wall yesterday but didn't see anything, and now it's all people seem to be talking about.,

Best I can tell, guy went up to Todd Anderson to get a token signed. Guy then ripped up token in front of Todd. Guy is now banned from all SCG Events.

bigkrev

I mean, I get that. But why? Just a random crazy?

Todd has said some really dumb stuff in the past. Stuff like: It's harder to win the SCG Invatational than it is to win the Pro Tour. They probably did it for the same reason you see people do stuff like this to politicians- they don't like their opinion.

So I would stay away from Planeswalker control entirely. You just can't play tapout control in the format right now. I'd stay away from Gifts as well with Scavenging Ooze likely becoming the flavor of the month in addition to Deathrite Shaman.

Another deck you can consider UWR Twin. It's sort of a midrange/control deck, but there's a lot of room for personalization. And sometimes you just win on turn 4 for no good reason.

EDIT: Sample deck list (made top 8 at the last Modern GP):

Code:
[b]Lands[/b]
4 Arid Mesa
2 Cascade Bluffs
4 Celestial Colonnade
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls

[b]Creatures[/b]
4 Deceiver Exarch
2 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Pestermite
3 Restoration Angel
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Spellskite
4 Wall of Omens

[b]Other Spells[/b]
1 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile
1 Pyroclasm
4 Remand
4 Splinter Twin

[b]Sideboard[/b]
1 Celestial Purge
4 Dispel
1 Negate
1 Pyroclasm
2 Rest in Peace
1 Spellskite
2 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Wear & Tear

f0rk

So I would stay away from Planeswalker control entirely. You just can't play tapout control in the format right now. I'd stay away from Gifts as well with Scavenging Ooze likely becoming the flavor of the month in addition to Deathrite Shaman.

Another deck you can consider UWR Twin. It's sort of a midrange/control deck, but there's a lot of room for personalization. And sometimes you just win on turn 4 for no good reason.

Thanks, that's a good point about Scavenging Ooze. I was already unsure about Gifts as the deck is expensive and you can't really half arse the manabase.
What's stopping tap out, is it all the combo? I was thinking 2 of Elspeth, Gideon, 3 mana Jace and maybe Sorin but to be honest it's not that high on my list yet.
I'd forgotten about the control version of Twin but I don't really want to play combo, I'd rather use those 10+ slots on making sure I'm in control.

I priced up U/W at ~£300 which isn't too bad when a playset on Cryptic Commands is £100. I think all the other options would be significantly more expensive as they need fetches, but a lot of the cards in U/W are staples that are good to have.
The other option was Storm, which seems cheap except for the Scalding Tarns

Top Bottom