• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

That's why they're commentators. As a tempo deck, you aggressively go after Brainstorm vs a Combo deck if you have the extra resources.

he really didn't, but I think he just had a read

he tried to fight over mana, but after resolving that one green mana enchantment from mirage (get a mana of a color for each island your opponent controls at the beginning of your main phase) i think he had to switch gears

I'm DL'ng MTGO. Any simple advice for a paper player who only want's to have something to tinker with in the off time?

Do some googling for the bots that will give you free commons. Don't open packs, either use them for limited event entries fees, or sell them to bots and use the tickets to buy singles. Try and find a bot group that has good enough prices that you can stick with them most of the time, so your fractions of tickets carry over across transactions rather than getting lost. Play practice room games for no stakes while you get used to the interface(s), so you don't get screwed into losing when it's for realsies. I you have issues with the program, especially if it makes you lose tickets/cards/whatever, contact wizards in chat or through the support page, they are pretty good about helping people out.

Did a Core draft this morning and this is what I made on the fly. It's kind of scattered, but I did win with 59 life against 4 other people.

Creatures:
1x Dawnstrike Paladin
1x Banisher Preist
1x Master of Diversion
1x Griffin Sentinel
1x capashen Knight
1x Auramancer
2x Soulmender
2x Accusred Spirit
1x Child of Night
1x Sengir Vampire
1x Bogbrew With
1x Festering Newt
1x Blood Bairn
1x Tenacious Dead

Instants:
1x Doom Blade
1xShow of Valor
2x Brave the Elements
2x Celestial Flare

Sorcery:
1x Corrupt
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Duress
1x Shrivel
1x Mindrot
1x Liturgy of Blood

Enchantments:
1 Sanguine Bond
1x Dark Favor
2x Mark of the Vampire
1x Pacifism
1x Angelic Accord
1x Blessing

Artifacts:
1x Staff of Sun Magnus
1x Trading Post

12x plains
12x Swamps

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So my friend's goddamn Rhys the Redeemed EDH deck pulled this off tonight:
2CApmi4.jpg

There's 192 Elf tokens there. I don't even remember exactly how it worked, it involved pumping a lot of mana into Mirror Entity

I went to my first FNM last night, it was pretty interesting. I did have fun, but my $15 intro deck (that I threw a couple of dread bores into) wasn't much of a match against $400 decks.

I did feel some satisfaction getting an opponent down to 7 life while I had 30. His deck consisted of every land he dropped being a rare, and he had a stack of enchantments in play as long as his arm letting him do all kinds of things. He almost ran out of cards, too. But he turned it around by the end with life gain and ended up winning the game. I think it may have been this deck: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5383&d=231075

I did manage to get 10 Planeswalker points by the end of the night, and had 9 going into my last opponent.

I really need to invest in some cards, and would appreciate any help with building a top-tier deck.

I'd prefer it to be from blocks that don't rotate out with the next rotation, and I'd prefer a very aggressive deck utilizing red/black. More colors and it would 'probably' get a little too complex for a beginner. Not that I can't do it, just I think that if I play a simpler deck exclusively, for months, I'll know it inside and out. This is also coming from some advice that I got last night.

Thoughts? Help?

THANKS!

Just looking at some cards to possibly build with...

Dreadbore
Blood Crypt
Doom Blade
Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Rakdos Charm
Rakdos Cackler
Rakdos's Return
Ultimate Price
Mizzium Mortars

OnPoint

I did feel some satisfaction getting an opponent down to 7 life while I had 30. His deck consisted of every land he dropped being a rare, and he had a stack of enchantments in play as long as his arm letting him do all kinds of things. He almost ran out of cards, too. But he turned it around by the end with life gain and ended up winning the game. I think it may have been this deck: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5383&d=231075

Dreadbore
Blood Crypt
Doom Blade
Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Rakdos Charm
Rakdos Cackler
Rakdos's Return
Ultimate Price
Mizzium Mortars

I wouldn't count too heavily on Lord of Riots or the charm. I wouldn't put Cackler in unless you are going heavy aggro. That means Rakdos's Return isn't as good unless you're going for a little longer of a gameplan. Ultimate Price isn't worth it now that Doom Blade is out there, IMO. Mortars could be OK, 4 damage is nothing to sneeze at. God what I wouldn't give for Flame Slash to be standard legal, but you take what you get I guess.

The other cards are all pretty good. I'd suggest getting some Lifebane Zombies, too. They seem like they'd be pretty good for you.

There's 192 Elf tokens there. I don't even remember exactly how it worked, it involved pumping a lot of mana into Mirror Entity

I have a friend who did a similar thing a few months back. It was intense.

I wouldn't count too heavily on Lord of Riots or the charm. I wouldn't put Cackler in unless you are going heavy aggro. That means Rakdos's Return isn't as good unless you're going for a little longer of a gameplan. Ultimate Price isn't worth it now that Doom Blade is out there, IMO. Mortars could be OK, 4 damage is nothing to sneeze at. God what I wouldn't give for Flame Slash to be standard legal, but you take what you get I guess.

The other cards are all pretty good. I'd suggest getting some Lifebane Zombies, too. They seem like they'd be pretty good for you.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Lifebane Zombies definitely looks like something that could be useful.

I like the Cackler because I just love having a card plop down on turn one. :D And perhaps being pretty aggressive will help against all of these specialized decks I've been seeing. But maybe not?

I thought that Rakdos Charm could be good just for artifact removal. Get rid of some of their life gain ability or something else. But true, it doesn't work well into any type of combo for myself.

Wichu

I managed over 250k once in a casual game. I think it involved about 30 token copies of every creature on the board, and 500 copies of Sigil Blessing.
Ink-Treader Nephilim FTW

I played a standard-legal Krenko deck in casuals with my girlfriend last fall. After it was a foregone conclusion I was going to win, we decided to go out to turn 30 with it, starting with Krenko at turn 4. I believe I swung with roughly 305 million 1/1 goblin tokens with another 305 million with summoning sickness.

OnPoint

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Lifebane Zombies definitely looks like something that could be useful.

I like the Cackler because I just love having a card plop down on turn one. :D And perhaps being pretty aggressive will help against all of these specialized decks I've been seeing. But maybe not?

I thought that Rakdos Charm could be good just for artifact removal. Get rid of some of their life gain ability or something else. But true, it doesn't work well into any type of combo for myself.

Cackler is a horrible late-game draw though. It kind of pushes you toward an all-in strategy on black-red/black-red-green aggro, which wants to win 4-5 turns in. If you're all about 1 drops that are going to be around post rotation, I don't know that there's currently a better option, but I'd probably rather have Shock or Duress.

I see your thoughts on the Charm, but artifacts are pretty irrelevant right now. As sideboard tech, sure, you could try it, but I don't think I would maindeck it.

I went to my first FNM last night, it was pretty interesting. I did have fun, but my $15 intro deck (that I threw a couple of dread bores into) wasn't much of a match against $400 decks.

This is why I tend to stick to drafts. I love the creativity of deck building, but pay to win just isn't fun. I have two constructed decks and I almost never get to use them because they far outclass the casual players around me.

Cackler is a horrible late-game draw though. It kind of pushes you toward an all-in strategy on black-red/black-red-green aggro, which wants to win 4-5 turns in. If you're all about 1 drops that are going to be around post rotation, I don't know that there's currently a better option, but I'd probably rather have Shock or Duress.

I see your thoughts on the Charm, but artifacts are pretty irrelevant right now. As sideboard tech, sure, you could try it, but I don't think I would maindeck it.

Again, thank you for your input.
And I'd love to have a multi-color win on turn 4-5 deck. I don't know if I could build one with just Core 14 and Return to Ravnica and what, Dragon's Maze? I simply don't want to invest in cards that are leaving rotation with the next block.

Lucario

I'm done with m14 limited for the day, just finished my ~10th draft.

I haven't bought packs since my first three and have a bunch leftover.

I really like core set drafts. This format is ridiculously fun and surprisingly deep -- I've been forcing mono colored decks since yesterday, and they put up surprisingly good results, especially red.

The thing I like about this format is there aren't really "archtypes." B/x enchantments is objectively terrible unless you manage to pick up a bunch of Quag Sickness, which is good enough on its own. The G/u trained condor deck is insane, though.... but ANYTHING with blue is good.

I kind of wish there were more options to enable two color decks, thanks to how heavy the colored mana requirements are on the set's best commons, but eh. Would just encourage more players to splash a third.

Speaking of three colors -- slivers are awful, don't even try it. Bears are at a premium. The best slivers are bears. If it happens for you, great, but never draft a sliver deck to have a sliver deck. The support just isn't there.

also, I absolutely never want to play this many rounds of magic at once again.

bigkrev

Did an afternoon draft, had what I thought was a pretty good U/R deck (2 Shock, 3 Outrage 2 Pyromancer, Ogre Battledriver and Great Whale), and couldn't buy a win. The only game I came close to winning I lost by calling judge on myself for accidentally presenting a 39 card deck.

zoukka

Yeah I like drafting core sets. A lot of variety still in M14, haven't even tried some of the gimmick decks. Been playing swiss and a few 8-4's. Still going infinite with my initial 12 bucks :)

Wichu

I played a standard-legal Krenko deck in casuals with my girlfriend last fall. After it was a foregone conclusion I was going to win, we decided to go out to turn 30 with it, starting with Krenko at turn 4. I believe I swung with roughly 305 million 1/1 goblin tokens with another 305 million with summoning sickness.

Well, if we're going with purposely drawn-out matches, one of my friends got something like 10^30 +1/+1 counters on his creatures using my Simic deck while his opponent was only drawing lands. The game needs more doubling effects!

OnPoint

Again, thank you for your input.
And I'd love to have a multi-color win on turn 4-5 deck. I don't know if I could build one with just Core 14 and Return to Ravnica and what, Dragon's Maze? I simply don't want to invest in cards that are leaving rotation with the next block.

M14, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze will be legal at rotation when it comes to the sets that are already out. Theros will join them at the same time the other sets rotate out.

If you want a deck that wins in 4-5 turns, look toward G/R Aggro, Naya Blitz, or B/R Aggro, though a TON of pieces rotate out of the existing decklists. Mono-white seems like it's starting to become a thing, at least in theory, but I don't know what pieces would be rotating out of that as well, and I'm only imagining it's quick. I honestly don't know.

I traded in to some Scavenging Ooze's last night and thew together Kibler's build from worlds. I must say it is really fun. Simple yes...but I get my fill of complexity in EDH and this deck has a ton of synergy. Quite enjoyable.

Burning Earth is a real card in the format, at least until rotation. We will see what the mana base looks like then.

kirblar

I traded in to some Scavenging Ooze's last night and thew together Kibler's build from worlds. I must say it is really fun. Simple yes...but I get my fill of complexity in EDH and this deck has a ton of synergy. Quite enjoyable.

Burning Earth is a real card in the format, at least until rotation. We will see what the mana base looks like then.
Kibler's deck is the knd that can really leverage it. Manabarbs was always good in "bigger" decks, not mono-red.

JulianImp

I finally got my hands on my two promo Scavenging Oozes, and I'm loving them. The other cards looked like they were random, since I got two uncommons in one pack and a single one in the other (sadly, none of them was a Young Pyromancer).

It's too bad I'm playing Izzet for now (and I think I'll keep the deck around for quite a while), but as soon as I go back to green I'll probably be using my lovely, shiny oozes. I'm really digging the art as well (it's a lot more dynamic and overall more interesting than the regular one, IMO).

M14 draft has me so incredibly on tilt right now...

Draft One:
CkMt2dr.png

Lost (0-2) in round one to a GW beats deck that beat me with some very well timed Pacifisms and Hunt the Weak. Would have won game three if I hadn't had to mull to six and been stuck on four lands for what felt like forever.

Draft Two:
8HwIFSJ.png

Okay, I'll admit it - this deck is only mediocre. Not enough removal. Lost (0-2) in round one to a GR deck with loads of enchantments and that double-strike equipment. Frustrating, but I knew the draft just hadn't gone that well and I needed to find some slower opponents.

Draft Three:
ujkuxyC.png

This should be the deck that does it, right? This deck is insane. I mean, I could get greedy and ask for some Kalonian Tuskers and Kalonian Hydras, but I can't complain about my draft here, can I?

Lost (0-2) in round one to a mono-black deck with a billion Doom Blades, Quag Sickness, Sengir Vampire, Liliana's Reaver, and Accursed Spirit. Both games were very close, but his insane removal suite put him just far enough ahead to steal both games.

That's three straight round one draft losses. Only one win in seven games. My opponents simply always had an answer for everything I was doing. And of course I've been playing 8-4s; I know there's extra variance in 8-4s due to the single-elimination nature of the tournament structure, but man - I would have thought at least one of these decks could have made it to the finals.

It's entirely possibly I'm misplaying at some points during these drafts as well, but the games have all been fairly straightforward. With my green decks, I present large threats, and they always get answered; with my blue deck - well, it just wasn't as good as my opponents.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I feel you zorro. I lost in the final round with a deck that was just nutso, but my opponent had like, 3 doom blades. I had 1 and liturgy and still got destroyed.

Kacar

Couple questions.

Can an equipment be attached and unattached? For example sunforger.

Also when balance is cast does it affect the creatures that come into play after a creature is balanced? Like the thragtusk token?

Couple questions.

Can an equipment be attached and unattached? For example sunforger.

Also when balance is cast does it affect the creatures that come into play after a creature is balanced? Like the thragtusk token?

An equipment can't be unequipped for no reason. You can do it with Sunforger specifically because it has an activated ability that allows you to as part of the cost. If you have an equipped creature that you want unequipped, you must equip it to another creature to remove the equipment.

By the time a Thragtusk token has hit the board, Balance has already done its work and is ancient history. Works similarly with a lot of sweepers like Wrath of God, Supremem Verdict, etc.

For some reason, I'm a glutton for punishment and decided to play an M14 Swiss to try to get some redemption. Drafted a UB control deck and managed to win exactly one match in the tournament. I beat a UB control deck, lost to another UB control deck (after mulliganing to six both games and not seeing a third land until turn 5 both games - also, apparently everybody in this pod was opening blue and black cards), and then lost to a UR ramp deck after flooding like a boss in game three.

Today will be marked in my calendar as the single worst day of variance I've experienced in this game. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong! I know there's variance in Magic, and especially in drafting, but holy shit....

An-Det

My sister and her boyfriend recently started casually playing and they're coming to visit tomorrow, so I went to put together a few casual decks to play them with. I put 4 together and promptly realized that my definition of "casual" is completely off balance. The first deck was supposed to be Suicide Black (which I used to play years ago and loved), but has bobs, Necropotence, and Jitte's. The second was intended to be a crazy artifact deck...which now has Tinker, Darksteel, and a bunch of broken artifacts. Then I figured a token deck would be a safe bet, but that turned out to be a BW deck with Bitterblossoms, Stoneforge, Lingering Souls, and fucking Skullclamp. I think I finally hit the right level with rug Madness, basically a stock-ish list from way back, just switching up the lands and adding a few Faithless Lootings, but I don't think I'll be attempting to build casual on short notice again.

A little off-topic, but did you guys play any other CCGs that you could recommend getting into casually. I remember being really intrigued by L5R and Versus several years ago, but never really got an understanding of the rules or solid strategy down. It would be fun to find a collection or two from a dead game on eBay just to screw around with for a bit.

***my apologies if these aren't dead games, just don't know anything about them***

A little off-topic, but did you guys play any other CCGs that you could recommend getting into casually. I remember being really intrigued by L5R and Versus several years ago, but never really got an understanding of the rules or solid strategy down. It would be fun to find a collection or two from a dead game on eBay just to screw around with for a bit.

***my apologies if these aren't dead games, just don't know anything about them***

You might want to look into LCGs (Living Card Games) which are card games but without the "booster pack" rares and singles. Every "booster" pack/set you buy has a list of cards in it that is the same, so you don't have rares and mythic rares floating around. It's definitely easy on the wallet as you won't ever need to shell out 200+ for playsets of staple cards.

Warhammer: Invasion LCG
Call of Cthulhu LCG
Game of Thrones LCG
Lord of the Rings LCG

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

I played a lot of Versus back in the day, but I tried playing it again the other month and just couldn't get into it again. It was definitely interesting though.

There's an interesting card game called Blue Moon that I used to play at university something like 8 years ago. It plays something like a CCG, but there's a set number of expansions and they never went past that number. At one time you could get the entire print run for something like $125; I don't know if you still can anymore or if it's gone up for collectible purposes.

It's actually quite interesting strategically, and has a deckbuilding aspect to it if you double up on the set (each print run only has one of each card, and decks can only have one of each card). There's no interacting with your opponent on their turn, but there's a surprising amount of strategic depth to it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/162375/review-from-a-long-term-magic-player

I used to play L5R a few years ago. It does have a fairly steep learning curve, but it has a hell of a lot of depth once you get your head round it. It's still alive and strong, although obviously nowhere near the popularity of something like Magic, which consequently makes finding people to play with pretty hard.

One of it's unique selling points is that the results and outcomes of tournaments affect the story of the game and future cards. It's definitely worth looking at if you have a group of friends that'll try it with you.

Bonfire of the Damned. Crushing dreams since 2012.

EDIT: And karma's a bitch. After blowing out his opponent with Bonfire, he topdecks lands for days and loses to a Kessig Wolf Run.

And he missed the opportunity to instant-speed Bonfire by tapping a meaningless Underworld Connections right before losing. And LSV called it on the coverage 5 seconds before it happened. Classic.

A lot of mono decks in M14 8-4. I'll just crawl back to swiss after losing to some very shitty decks now :(

M14 seems to be a format of throwing haymakers back and forth. Every one of those matches I was complaining about earlier came down my opponent always having one more punch than I did.

They made the auras so damn good in M14 that they're worth the risk. Any creature with one of the top-tier auras on it is generally good enough to win by itself. They say "Do you have an answer? If not, I probably win. If so, I probably lose."

zoukka

M14 seems to be a format of throwing haymakers back and forth. Every one of those matches I was complaining about earlier came down my opponent always having one more punch than I did.

They made the auras so damn good in M14 that they're worth the risk. Any creature with one of the top-tier auras on it is generally good enough to win by itself. They say "Do you have an answer? If not, I probably win. If so, I probably lose."

Yeah removal is key in M14 because of the auras.

If someone knows a cool green based budget deck that I can put together for a few bucks, throw me a list! I want to play casual kavu tapping in modo :3

I already have elvist mystics, green slivers, tuskers and such from drafting.

Yeef

My sister and her boyfriend recently started casually playing and they're coming to visit tomorrow, so I went to put together a few casual decks to play them with. I put 4 together and promptly realized that my definition of "casual" is completely off balance. The first deck was supposed to be Suicide Black (which I used to play years ago and loved), but has bobs, Necropotence, and Jitte's. The second was intended to be a crazy artifact deck...which now has Tinker, Darksteel, and a bunch of broken artifacts. Then I figured a token deck would be a safe bet, but that turned out to be a BW deck with Bitterblossoms, Stoneforge, Lingering Souls, and fucking Skullclamp. I think I finally hit the right level with rug Madness, basically a stock-ish list from way back, just switching up the lands and adding a few Faithless Lootings, but I don't think I'll be attempting to build casual on short notice again.
Whenever building casual decks for new players, I make a note to stick to peasant deckbuilding rules (commons and uncommons only). I typically also try to limit myself to only two copies of any common and one copy of any uncommon.

My friends and I used to play the Star Trek TNG CCG quite a bit. It had a few expansions after the initial release as well.

CCG_Card_Explanation_Simple.jpg

CCG_Data_laughing.png

1EQCO044.jpg

And also to a lesser extent we played the Star Wars CCG

bobafettrelentless.jpg

c3po.gif

6558e0f_20.jpeg

bigkrev

Holy shit at Game 3. Shahar probably could have been a bit more aggressive with his Thundermaw, but man Ben played perfectly

Top Bottom