• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
3-1 at Game Day with Bant Pants. I lost because of the ol' mana screw against mono green. Waiting to see if that gets me into the top 8

Edit: second place. Now waiting to see if there is a top 4

Edit 2: Nope, just second place. Won 6 packs, opened a Garruk and Akani (foil) in the same pack and a 5th scavenging ooze, so overall not a bad day

ultron87

So Drownyard was making you draw 3 lol?
Essentially. I ran out of cards because he had landed a Big Jace earlier for a turn and I made the mistake of firing off a big Revelation. It was just so tempting when everything goes back to your hand!

What I should have done is let the irrelevant instants and sorceries go the graveyard still because I had a Runechanters Pike and spirit tokens. Lessons learned.

I decided not to go and decided to instead have some kitchen table gaming. Still went to the game shop to buy some stuff, though.

I did trade four Grave Titan for two Scavenging Ooze (one foil).

WanderingWind

I have my first dual land. I can't stop touching my Volcanic Island.

EDIT: Dude. Check out the tool on SCG's stream right now. Fucking Scarface is back alive and is playing B/W tokens. Lol.

I've run into five straight Merfolk decks in Modern dailies over the past two days. The matchup gods have not been good to me; that matchup is rough when you're playing Splinter Twin.

The MTGO meta seems to be getting increasingly hostile to Twin decks again. It's always this big cycle; everybody's prepared for Twin, so Twin loses a lot (except for that one guy who manages to dodge his bad matchups), then people stop thinking about Twin as a real deck, then it comes back again.

I really need to find a backup deck for dailies. Right now the only real competitive deck that I have built online is Splinter Twin; I have some other decks that I can screw around with, but nothing I would be willing to put tickets on the line for. I'm thinking I might just pick up Mutavaults and start seriously practicing that UR Delver deck, but that's a really hard deck to play well and I'm not at all confident in my ability to play it correctly.

We'll see. I'm certainly not playing this Twin list for a while; at least, until the merfolk decks stop being so pervasive online.

EDIT: I actually recorded yesterday's DE and put it on YouTube. If you're curious to hear my nasaly volice and to see what it's like being the Twin side of the Merfolk matchup, look at these three.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkHd2zLhIzWmLfwajxKQmYPv2bMLqeT80

I actually won two of the matches (once off of a huge punt on my opponent's part, and once off of my opponent just not drawing his countermagic), and could have won the third if I had done something that seemed wrong at the time (fetch an untapped shockland turn 1 against my opponent's turn 1 threat, as opposed to doing what I did which was to fetch a basic island). Today's I didn't bother uploading because I had to mulligan like a boss and just got rolled over.

Just finished double sleeving my 360 cube + 140 lands with KMC perfect fits into Ultra Pro regulars.

Feels weird. Ignoring the huge air bubbles that get into the sleeves (apparently it goes away over time) all the cards feel kind of... cheap papery? Hopefully they feel a lot more solid once they "air out".

OnPoint

A friend and I were able to scoop up a box of Innistrad for 120 yesterday and did some sealed games with it. Got a Snapcaster, a Garruk and and a few lands. Was not a really great box haha

But man, was Innistrad a great stand-alone limited set. Holy shit!

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Nah man, black/ red. Because it's so hard to pop Dragon Egg without Blood Bairn. It's what a Khaleesi would do. Not to mention the obvious Blood Bairn/ Molten Birth synergy.

I did a couple more M14 drafts yesterday. I'm getting better at the format, but I still really, really hate the auras. I feel like they've defined the format, and that really turns me off.

Yeef

I've done monoblack and monored, both to winning results. I've seen other people go mono green; seems to work best if you get 2 or 3 Advocates and a crapton of beasts.

WanderingWind

4-0!

Won 8 packs and and pulled an Archangel of Thune. It feels so good winning against the same guy who beat you the day before....we have a rivalry now. We both went home last night and tweaked our decks to specifically beat each other.

And I was victorious. *nerdiest fist pump in history*

WanderingWind

I beat my nemesis from yesterday to go 4-0 as well!

feelsgoodman.jpg

What's that Barter in Blood? DISSAPPATE. What's that? Devour Flesh? MEET MY WITCHSTALKER.

And yeah, Witchstalker is very playable in Bant Hexproof. Very, very playable. It singlehandledly won me 2 games. Well, that and lil ole Gladecover.

f0rk

How does Witchstalker do anything against Devour Flesh. If you have two dudes out the one counter isn't really game changing.

WanderingWind

How does Witchstalker do anything against Devour Flesh. If you have two dudes out the one counter isn't really game changing.

Because they have to play it during their turn, meaning I'll always have 2 or more people on board. Yet another reason why Gladecover is awesome. It's not exactly game changing, but it changes the way your opponent interacts with you and it always works in your favor. At least in my experience. Of course, like any deck, if they get the perfect draw there are always ways out. But I've had more issues with Golgari Charm + Devour/Away.

JulianImp

I played yesterday with my izzet deck and finished 2-1-1, not good enough to earn any prize boosters, but at least I got into the top8 for the foil promo.

I ended up not playing today, but I did go to my LGS to spectate the later rounds and finally traded for my fourth Guttersnipe and two Young Pyromancers. I like how the deck performs against several archetypes (except for Gruul blitz decks, which play too many threats for me to handle). I managed to beat an UWR control deck by simply boarding in my two Pithing Needles, playing them whenever he tapped out, and named Aetherling and Jace with them to completely shut his deck's offensive down. It's amazing how useful Guttersnipe was at nearly all times, and Young Pyromancer also pulls his weight fairly well, earning me a lot of time against aggro and forcing wraths from control decks all by itself.

I'm thinking about adding Rolling Temblor to the sideboard against Burning-Tree Emmissary chains (and possibly other weenie decks), and probably Dispel against both control decks and removal (since keeping my creatures in play is one of the deck's top priorities).

However, it seems like the deck will become a whole lot weaker upon rotation, because so far I've relied an awful lot on Faithless Looting (digging four cards is simply amazing, and you can pitch Lootings to each other in a pinch) and Snapcaster Mage (replaying removal while getting a 2/1 at the same time is incredible value)... while these are only eight cards I'll have to switch out, I'm not sure there're any viable replacements so far.

Working on a milling deck for standard, what do you guys think? No Innistrad block cards, please.

4 Codex Shredder
4 Shadow Alley Denizen
4 Wight of Precinct Six
3 Death's Approach

3 Paranoid Delusions

3 Crypt Incursion
3 Psychic Strike

2 Whispering Madness
3 Desecration Demon

3 Consuming Abberation
2 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

2 Undercity Plague

4 Watery Grave
3 Rogue's Passage
17 Swamps/Islands

Exokell

Banned
so Im gonna play for the mocs finals next week, its gonna be modern. And I dont know which UWR deck I will use for the event, the controlly deck(only creatures are snaps) or the midrange deck with(cliques or GoST). Which one do you guys think I should play?

kirblar

so Im gonna play for the mocs finals next week, its gonna be modern. And I dont know which UWR deck I will use for the event, the controlly deck(only creatures are snaps) or the midrange deck with(cliques or GoST). Which one do you guys think I should play?
Whichever one you're more comfortable with.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";75936351]Working on a milling deck for standard, what do you guys think? No Innistrad block cards, please.

4 Codex Shredder
4 Shadow Alley Denizen
4 Wight of Precinct Six
3 Death's Approach

3 Paranoid Delusions

3 Crypt Incursion
3 Psychic Strike

2 Whispering Madness
3 Desecration Demon

3 Consuming Abberation
2 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

2 Undercity Plague

4 Watery Grave
3 Rogue's Passage
17 Swamps/Islands[/QUOTE]

Why no Jace Memory Adept? He's like a mill God. Millstone might be better over Codex Shredder. I'd consider Traumatize over Undercity Plague, as I think UP is just not that great. I like the idea of more control in a build like this, and three Psychic Strikes just isn't going to get the job done IMO. You might want to consider stuff like Syncopate.

That said, it's a solid mill theme on paper. I'd say give it a shot and report back.

I'll look into replacing the Plagues with Jace. I have a habit of sticking them in anywhere because it's my favorite standard card. Anything that reminds me of Annihilator, really.

Millstone is cool, but Shredder has really been a gamechanger. It gives me more turn one options, it doesn't cost me anything to mill and late game I can save my ass by bringing back a card sometimes, like Mirko or Crypt Incursion. The nice thing is that I can kinda game people's decks with it on percentages and keep them from drawing lands. It's especially easy with two.

I like Strike because it's just a basic Cancel that adds a couple mills. I could use more control, though. I used to have Thrull Parasites in there, but killing counters was too specific most of the time. I'll hold on to them in my sideboard.

Syncopate's cool, but at 5 cost I don't know how useful it is since I can't really win with it. Duskmantle Guildmage might be useful, but his ability is kind of an afterthought that relies on my ciphers or Mirko.

So last night I started playing Jeff Hoogland's latest take on UR tempo in Modern.

Holy crap that deck is fun to play. I'm terrible with it, but man - Young Pyromancer is insane.

kirblar

So last night I started playing Jeff Hoogland's latest take on UR tempo in Modern.

Holy crap that deck is fun to play. I'm terrible with it, but man - Young Pyromancer is insane.
In retrospect, that card really should have been rare in order to gain value from reprinting it in the future.

rCIZZLE

Do other gameday playmats usually sell for this much on ebay immediately afterwards? I ended up winning one tonight and even though I love the artwork, 80-90+ is pretty tempting for something I have less-awesome versions of.

kirblar

Do other gameday playmats usually sell for this much on ebay immediately afterwards? I ended up winning one tonight and even though I love the artwork, 80-90+ is pretty tempting for something I have less-awesome versions of.
Check previous sets. If they're low, sell immediately.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

Honestly, it's probably only that much because of her boobs.

I've never seen a Game Day playmat being sold for that much ever.

ultron87

Woah. That's crazy. Definitely makes me consider selling mine since I never really use playmats and even if I did using one with "CHAMPION" emblazoned across the bottom in huge letters feels tacky.

Negator

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";75946675]Deathrite Shaman is perfect for my deck, but goddamn if 4 of those is too expensive.[/QUOTE]

You can at least have the peace of mind that if you ever want to sell them, they will probably never go down in price and most likely appreciate in value over the years.

My local store had them for $3 at one point. I only bought the two that I needed for my set. Why don't I have the power to predict the future!?

f0rk

Do you have a link to the latest version?
The thing I'm starting to appreciate with Modern is if once you know you want to play one colour (blue in particular) most of the expensive cards are in all the decks, so investments pay off. Got to get me some Scalding Tarns.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea it's nice that red finally has a decent 2 drop. Check out the r/w/b standard deck I posted last page with him, it's pretty damn fun.

kirblar

You can at least have the peace of mind that if you ever want to sell them, they will probably never go down in price and most likely appreciate in value over the years.

My local store had them for $3 at one point. I only bought the two that I needed for my set. Why don't I have the power to predict the future!?
Cards with lots of text (DRS, Jace) but that you think are insane are the ones to preorder early if they're relatively cheap. The market has a harder time processing those.

Negator

Cards with lots of text (DRS, Jace) but that you think are insane are the ones to preorder early if they're relatively cheap. The market has a harder time processing those.

Yeah, I felt like a real idiot when I just sat on the $3.00 Boros Reckoners and didn't preorder them, even when I knew it was an insane card, and then they peaked at $30 two weeks later.

JulianImp

Yeah, I remember when I got two Phantasmal Image at launch day for really cheap (alongside a Lord of the Unreal, since I wanted to make an illusion deck). I think that was the only card I ever purchased early whose value ended up skyrocketing, since most people nowadays don't even trade their stuff until prices are somewhat settled, and stores price most cards high enough to avoid getting burned by any sleeper cards.

I think that's a valid assessment, since It's happened for several "wordy" cards even in earlier sets (Tarmogoyf, anyone?). I was playing janky casual decks at the time, but I believe it took a while for Dark Confidant to be recognized as the powerhouse it actually was, as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I lucked out and grabbed Thundermaw Hellkites for like $2-3 a pop early on. I really *should* have gotten in on Boros Reckoners, I knew the card was crazy but for whatever reason I didn't bite.

image49l7t.jpg

This card is so close to being a great asset for milling. If it changed from "its controller" to "target player" mills equal to that creature's power, it'd be excellent. Then Syncopate + Consuming Abberation + Grisly Spectacle would be a winning combo.

Oh well.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76030135]
image49l7t.jpg

This card is so close to being a great asset for milling. If it changed from "its controller" to "target player" mills equal to that creature's power, it'd be excellent. Then Syncopate + Consuming Abberation + Grisly Spectacle would be a winning combo.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

That card isn't remotely close to being constructed playable sadly. So I wouldn't bother.

It's the best common in limited Gatecrash though.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76030135]This card is so close to being a great asset for milling. If it changed from "its controller" to "target player" mills equal to that creature's power, it'd be excellent. Then Syncopate + Consuming Abberation + Grisly Spectacle would be a winning combo.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

How is Syncopate part of the combo?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My friend really wants to get back into this game, but the last time I played seriously was when Chronicles was the most recent expansion. There's just so many cards and expansions I'm not sure how I'll ever get up to speed enough to make coherent decks. Should I just get one of the online games? Hell, haven't some of the general rules changed since then, too?

Unfortunately, no I don't have my old cards other than just few hundred from some random set I picked up for cheap intending to try again a few years ago which I found in the closet and a few scarce leftovers from Revised (which off the top of my head is a bunch of land, two Forks, an Island Fish (lol) and a couple of Taiga).

kirblar

Top Bottom