• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Door of Destinies isn't very good, IMO. Think of it this way, by time you're up to four mana in this deck you're either set up for dropping an Archangel next turn or active with Silverblade and you'll need Brave mana up. The upside seems really low and very narrow, I'd rather run 2 more Braves.

On another note, what's the best way to buy a whole legacy deck like RUG Delver? Is there a site that just let's you add the whole thing and buy?

On another note, what's the best way to buy a whole legacy deck like RUG Delver? Is there a site that just let's you add the whole thing and buy?

i personally started with U/R delver and got those staples as the two decks basically run the same cards.

get forces and volcanics. the other stuff is cheap

after you get that together you just need goyfs and trops

kirblar

Well, I have the delvers....
*insert Loki oooohhhhhh face*

The fetchlands are the last thing you want to pick up. The Duals, Wastelands, and Forces? They're the first thing you want to go after. I'm working on my dual set right now. Currently have the 4 seas, but am taking a break as I pay off my Goyfs.

i traded for my volcanics and trops

i bought my tundras on ebay for 83 a piece

traded + money for goyfs at an SCG event

i don't think any site is going to be what you to go for just because of the retail price for those items.

lets say i had the money for undergrounds but wanted to get a deal, i would, without a doubt, be combing ebay for 3 weeks straight.

*insert Loki oooohhhhhh face*

The fetchlands are the last thing you want to pick up. The Duals, Wastelands, and Forces? They're the first thing you want to go after. I'm working on my dual set right now. Currently have the 4 seas, but am taking a break as I pay off my Goyfs.

definitely this

well, blue fetches are good regardless and probably should be in the equation somewhere. duals, wastes, and forces are in so many decks its ridiculous

The fetches have "wait for me to be reprinted, until then BORROW ME" stamped on them.

if you want to go with zendikar fetches only and can get away with that, that's fine. could be a while until that happens (reprint)

i wish i still had my playsets of onslaught fetches :(

kirblar

if you want to go with zendikar fetches only and can get away with that, that's fine. could be a while until that happens (reprint)

i wish i still had my playsets of onslaught fetches :(
You can totally get away with just R/U and U/G (+ a borrowed extra U dual) due to the deck's manabase.

An-Det

The fetches have "wait for me to be reprinted, until then BORROW ME" stamped on them.

Pretty much, unless you really want to own them right now it'd be better to focus on the rest of the deck that aren't looking at relatively imminent reprints.

Pretty much any blue duals work, it's not like the deck plays basics.

I traded away some of my Onslaught fetches the other day, knowing that the only way I'd ever use them again is if they got reprinted into standard and modern. What is the basis for this Thoughtseize in Theros rumor? Is it just because there was no sign of it in MM?

kirblar

I traded away some of my Onslaught fetches the other day, knowing that the only way I'd ever use them again is if they got reprinted into standard and modern. What is the basis for this Thoughtseize in Theros rumor? Is it just because there was no sign of it in MM?
It missing MM was a pretty sure sign that they plan on reprinting it within the next 2 years.

WanderingWind

So, basically snipe eBay. I'm just missing the ports, wastelands and the islands from Goblins, but that deck is just so close to a standard deck in execution that it doesn't really excite me.

Basically, I'm selling my house and after reinvestment into another property, a huge chunk into savings, I have some money that I'm setting aside to spend. So, I'm thinking that if I ever wanted to get into legacy (I do) now is the time.

RUG Delver and Goblins seems like the cheapest. Tron, maybe? Is that playable?

So, basically snipe eBay. I'm just missing the ports, wastelands and the islands from Goblins, but that deck is just so close to a standard deck in execution that it doesn't really excite me.

Basically, I'm selling my house and after reinvestment into another property, a huge chunk into savings, I have some money that I'm setting aside to spend. So, I'm thinking that if I ever wanted to get into legacy (I do) now is the time.

RUG Delver and Goblins seems like the cheapest. Tron, maybe? Is that playable?

tron seems pretty fringe to me, but it has made a top 8 or two

i've been playing RUG for 2 years. it's a good deck

WanderingWind

tron seems pretty fringe to me, but it has made a top 8 or two

i've been playing RUG for 2 years. it's a good deck

I like how it balances what I like to do (SMASH UR FACE) and what I end up always wanting to do, which is have more than 2 ways of interacting. Think I'll start with V. Islands and Forces.

Anybody selling some? ;)

I like how it balances what I like to do (SMASH UR FACE) and what I end up always wanting to do, which is have more than 2 ways of interacting. Think I'll start with V. Islands and Forces.

Anybody selling some? ;)

it's rare that you get to smash face (like double goyf draws) mostly you are just riding one threat to victory while slowing down or disrupting your opponent

thats a good start btw

Lucario

why do people with 1600-1750 ratings keep claiming they're "infinite" drafting on mtgo

that isn't even statistically possible

Jaeyden

Trading Post, Sanguine Bond and Congregate just made me LOL when I litterally did nothing but sit back and hold the board. Opponent must have shit himself when I was on 8 and Congregated for 24 and the game ends....hahahaha. On another note, I'm sick of M14 draft but I almost have enough tix from selling foils to get a modern deck put together.

Trading Post, Sanguine Bond and Congregate just made me LOL when I litterally did nothing but sit back and hold the board. Opponent must have shit himself when I was on 8 and Congregated for 24 and the game ends....hahahaha. On another note, I'm sick of M14 draft but I almost have enough tix from selling foils to get a modern deck put together.

What deck are you looking at?

Jaeyden

Just drafting on MTGO. But I got trading post again in my next draft and it's a fucking horse.
Had a congregate to back it up and making ass loads of goats then gaining like 30+ life when I was almost dead just has to be demoralizing. Just went 4-0. Yay!

Jaeyden

Not quite sure yet. I have a Pod deck and a Jund deck in paper. While I would love to have them digital so I can play them more, I just can't see spending the money. My goal with MTGO is to do some brewing and testing janky fun stuff I have kicking around here. I bought a few Bridge from Below last night along with some Myr Retrievers and Heartless summoning. I had a fun kitchen table brew that used Glimpse and Falkenrath Nobles along with the forementioned to infinitely cycle retrievers to trigger either bridges or nobles. I've been working on the deck for a while and want to start testing Zur the enchanter in it...lol...to get more consistency on the Heartless. If I can pick up enough stuff I might try to make tier deck.

Jaeyden

Haha lol just got another trading post along with the cauldron. This should be fun. Tap post pay 1 life make a goat, sac goat gain 4 life ROFL...

Got hit with this combo today in standard :-(

imagenfx4x.jpg
imagerxxnz.jpg
imagex9le1.jpg

So what do you guys think about this situation:

I'm playing in a Modern DE. I lost the first round, but clawed my way back to 2-1. In the fourth round, I got paired down against an opponent who is 1-2. I figure it's a long shot, but I PM him and ask him if he'd be willing to concede, since he can't win anything even with a win, but I can. He asks me to give him tickets; I say that I can't because it's against the terms of service to pay someone to concede. He scoops anyway, and then asks me to send him tickets just to be nice to someone who did him a favor.

I have no intention of doing so. I made it clear that I was willing to play if he wanted, that I wasn't going to pay him to concede, and I'm pretty sure he's just hoping to salvage something out of a lost DE. But I don't want him to get pissed off and run to an ORC and get me in trouble. Should I do it anyway, even though it's against the TOS? Or should I just block the guy and move forward? I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, but I really don't want to get in trouble with WotC either...

For what it's worth, when I've been 1-2 I've always gone into round four and scooped against 2-1 opponents who have been paired down against me, without them even asking. It just always seems like the right thing to do.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why would he run to an ORC? If you actually said that you didn't want to split then its in the chat logs. Not to mention like you said it's against the TOS, it'd be like going to the cops because your dealer cut baking soda into your blow.

Yeah, I wouldn't give him shit after demanding something like that. Fuck him.

His tone wasn't demanding; it felt more like he was just hopeful that I might feel sorry for him and he could salvage a bad DE, as opposed to demanding something.

I didn't really intend to give him anything, and it's good to hear that you guys agree.

Now to go piss away my prize packs drafting! Or maybe I should just turn them into tickets and buy some singles or something; we'll see. :)

I read the part about no prize for 2-2. Still, I see nothing wrong with someone paying for an event and wanting to play it out.

If someone wants to play it out, I don't hold it against them - they did pay money to play Magic after all. But it is general courtesy to concede in that spot.

The situation doesn't come up that often; you have to start the tournament 0-1, win the next two, and then be the one guy who got paired down. It's happened to me once before, and the guy just said "sure." The one time I got paired up from 1-2, I just checked his stats, saw he was 2-1, and just conceded without him having to ask.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Drafted M14 for the first and last time at my card shop last night.

Deck had 2 copies each of Pacifism, Air Servant, and Serra Angel. Also had Fiendslayer Paladin and Banisher Priest.

P2P1 I opened: foil Tidebinder Mage, Air Servant, Opportunity, and Windreader Sphinx. It was a really hard decision between Opportunity or Air Servant, but I took the latter.

UW Flyers the best archetype in core set (again!). I went 3-0, but I didn't have fun since the deck could be non-interactive and the whole game plan was a bit too linear for me.

TP17

I actually enjoy core set drafting the most. Definitely finding blue the strongest colour in M14 for me so far.

kirblar

Drafted M14 for the first and last time at my card shop last night.

Deck had 2 copies each of Pacifism, Air Servant, and Serra Angel. Also had Fiendslayer Paladin and Banisher Priest.

P2P1 I opened: foil Tidebinder Mage, Air Servant, Opportunity, and Windreader Sphinx. It was a really hard decision between Opportunity or Air Servant, but I took the latter.

UW Flyers the best archetype in core set (again!). I went 3-0, but I didn't have fun since the deck could be non-interactive and the whole game plan was a bit too linear for me.
Blue's the best color by a mile. Just force it.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Blue's the best color by a mile. Just force it.

I knew about blue being the best color going into the draft. I pretty much forced UW the first pack and got rewarded pack 2. I opened the Paladin, picked up both Pacifisms and the second Serra Angel pack 3, then pretty much went on to hate for almost the rest of my picks since I had like 23-25 playables at that point.

Drafted M14 for the first time last night as well. Had a underpowered Izzet deck but its was made up for by:
P3P1:Archangel of thine
P3P2:Witchstalker
Thanks neighbor!

ultron87

Went 3-1-1 at Game Day playing Blue/White Control. Really enjoy playing that deck.

I managed to lose a game where I ultimated Tamiyo by getting milled out by Drownyard. It was quite tragic.

Top Bottom