• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

y2dvd

Fuck Voice of Resurgence. Without Pillar of Flame, I had to 2 for 1 it every time. As if it wasn't bad enough already, it's only going to get worst with PoF rotating out soon.

Ronabo

You mean they're super easy to shuffle? Once they wear out and become sticky, you'll have an even worse time.

If I could, I'd resleeve my deck every time with new sleeves. DAT NEW SLEEVE MASH FEEL

No kidding!

I once got lucky at a flea market that had a booth that sold sports cards and CCGs and stuff.

Someone there had miss-priced a display of Ultra Pro black backed sleeves. Got the entire display for less than $20.

That display served me well for almost 10 years. :)

Crocodile

@blindrocket: Congrats dude! I wish y'all the best of luck and that the baby arrives home problem free :)

Fuck Voice of Resurgence. Without Pillar of Flame, I had to 2 for 1 it every time. As if it wasn't bad enough already, it's only going to get worst with PoF rotating out soon.

I'm going to be pretty annoyed if WOTC expects us to play with Annihilating Fire :(

Played a half-dozen Modern 2-man queues with Splinter Twin yesterday to practice with a different build, and easily won them all.

Now I'm playing in my second DE so far today. I scrubbed out 0-2 in the first one by getting totally mana screwed against Tron, and then run over by Affinity because my deck thought it would be funny to give me all of the Splinter Twins and none of the creatures. And I just lost the first round of the second DE to Affinity again; once again, my deck just refused to cough up both halves of the combo. 0-3 in matches, 0-6 in games.

My deck hates me today. I apparently need to mulligan more aggressively against Affinity.

Then again, one of the current leaders in the Magic Online player of the year race has also been in each daily I've been in, and he's won as many matches as I have, so it's not like this only affects me. Just gotta vent sometimes.

zoukka

0qTmyx8.jpg

Another day in modo flood paradise. Lost the first match in similar fashion...

Joined an RTR draft, just because I wanted to play some more Magic before the end of the weekend.

I shit you not: my first match, in games two and three, my 7-card, 6-card, and 5-card hands all had either one or zero lands in them. My deck had 18 lands in it. I smashed my opponent's terrible 5-color deck in game one, and then simply wasn't allowed to play Magic in games two and three.

I literally just joined whatever draft was firing because I felt like opening some packs and just having some fun playing Magic. The gods of variance have chosen to shit upon me today apparently. I know it's noobish to complain about the MODO shuffler, but today, bro, I know dem feels.

zoukka

I literally just joined whatever draft was firing because I felt like opening some packs and just having some fun playing Magic. The gods of variance have chosen to shit upon me today apparently. I know it's noobish to complain about the MODO shuffler, but today, bro, I know dem feels.

It's a great way to start your day, being all pissed at on a fucking computer game :b

Luckily I played swiss today and wrecked my two remaining opponents. I just needed 3 lands and it was smooth sailing from there. Play my sweet griffins and drakes and pacify, ebb, flare, counter and claustrophobia all my opponents creatures. Pretty easy.

Went to GP Oakland yesterday, might go back today, it was a blast. I saw quite a few of the pros there; Reid Duke, Efro, LSV, Craig Wescoe, and Brian Kibler, I probably missed a few others. Didn't really want to bother any of them but Kibler was there pretty early and one of my friends knew him, so he introduced us. Kibler is really friendly and we chatted for a while, I ended up asking him and he signed a thundermaw hellkite for me which is pretty sweet.

I skipped the main event but played in several drafts, and even a sanctioned EDH which was a first. Oddly enough my EDH pod was all guys I know from the local game stores in the area. We joked that we could have just stayed home and played.

I pretty much emptied my trade binder and ended up picking up a Beta Bayou, Judge Crucible of Worlds, Beta Regrowth, Legends Land Tax, Legends Concordant Crossroads, Noble Hierarch, and a few Riptide Labs for trade fodder, also got a artist signed Domri Rade (not pictured, I forgot to pull it out last night when I took the pic)

UmG58rQ.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The big store here in Minnesota used to get full Wizards treatment during pre-releases, artists signing cards and people showing up to do gunslinging and everything. Then the store moved and they stopped :/

Went back to GP Oakland today for a few hours, meet the artists they had there and got some alters of their own work done by them.

RK Post (Burning Earth)

6SkoMjJ.jpg

Chris Rahn (Cyclonic Rift)

lgOZ9gg.jpg

Chris Rahn (Huntmaster of the Fells, Ravager of the Fells front/back)

cfOWlbx.jpg

j1nngVk.jpg

I like how he did the signatures on Huntmaster/Ravager in Green and Red respectively.

bigkrev

Hints from Maro's column tonight

Theros block does something that we haven't done a lot of. We have taken a mechanic that didn't succeed the first time out, given it a make-over (rules tweak, new name and flavor) and are reintroducing it. The big experiment is can we take ideas that we believe didn't live up to their potential the first time out and try again? I very much hope we meet this goal because it's something we have to learn how to do.

A 3/3 with three abilities that uses fate counters
Multiple cards with the word "nongorgon"
A high-profile cycle of legendary permanents that are not creatures or lands
A rare card with five words of rules text in which one of the words is "planeswalker"
An artifact creature that appears to be a big horse made out of wood
A 5/5 giant snake that can be cast for GG
A multicolor Minotaur lord
A card that could have been in Modern Masters
A giant that brings fire to humans
A creature with a saboteur ability (it has an effect if the creature deals combat damage to an opponent) which is one of the Power Nine

The MM card is obviously Daybreak Coronet, but i'm most curious about the returning, tweaked mechanic. Champion only makes sense if its actually called "Champion", so I think that's out. Maybe Haunt or Licids?

A high-profile cycle of legendary permanents that are not creatures or lands

We've see that strange Legendary Enchantment Artifact already, I guess that's what these are?

A rare card with five words of rules text in which one of the words is "planeswalker"

Snooze. We already have Dreadbore.

An artifact creature that appears to be a big horse made out of wood

Trojan Horse! How sweet would it be if it had the Sleeper Agent ability.

A creature with a saboteur ability (it has an effect if the creature deals combat damage to an opponent) which is one of the Power Nine

Not too many to choose from here. I assume they didn't make a triple Ophidian, or a creature that Time Walks on damage (because that's essentially instant-win). So that leaves Timetwister. Yawn.

A card that could have been in Modern Masters

Obviously Thoughtseize.

Does anyone know if there are any Premium Decks in the works?
I think that the last one I bought was Fire and Lightning and I unfortunately missed out on Graveborn. I just like these flavorful Premium Decks for fun/casual play.

Also I missed out on Planechase products, are those ever planned to be printed again or expanded upon?

f0rk

Chapin is playtesting a Grixis deck for the next Modern GP and it has things I would really like to be good like Mulldrifter and artifact mana. Hopefully it turns out good.

I could see a flavor mechanic for this expansion being the gods coopting many of the planeswalker's abilities and using them against them. No idea what permanent it would be but "copy a planeswalker loyalty ability"? Way too powerful for just 5 words of rules, and everyone would just be firing off ults... but a man can dream, can't he?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Chapin is playtesting a Grixis deck for the next Modern GP and it has things I would really like to be good like Mulldrifter and artifact mana. Hopefully it turns out good.

Oh that sounds awesome. When is the next modern GP? I need Grixis to be good

Yeef

Does anyone know if there are any Premium Decks in the works?
I think that the last one I bought was Fire and Lightning and I unfortunately missed out on Graveborn. I just like these flavorful Premium Decks for fun/casual play.

Also I missed out on Planechase products, are those ever planned to be printed again or expanded upon?
They discontinued the Premium Deck Series. There won't be any more. Ever.

JulianImp

Boooo!

Thanks for the info.

Low sales? No good because they were basically only good for casual play?

I also don't like how foil cards would always get bent unless you kept them inside a toploader or something like that. At least double-faced cards got spared due to both sides bending in opposite ways and sort of cancelling out the card warping, but they were the exception AFAIK.

Wichu

Gain control of target Planeswalker?

I don't think Wizards will print anything that only affects planeswalkers, since planeswalkers are all mythic and thus the card would be incredibly situational in limited formats. I think it's likely to be one of these:

Destroy all creatures and planeswalkers.

or

Destroy target enchantment or planeswalker.

EDIT: The second probably wouldn't be rare. I think it'll be the first.

Boooo!

Thanks for the info.

Low sales? No good because they were basically only good for casual play?

Low sales I think. It's been replaced by Commander.

ultron87

I don't think Wizards will print anything that only affects planeswalkers, since planeswalkers are all mythic and thus the card would be incredibly situational in limited formats. I think it's likely to be one of these:

Destroy all creatures and planeswalkers.

or

Destroy target enchantment or planeswalker.

Yeah, I think it has to be something simple like that. He said "planeswalker" and not "planeswalkers" so that makes a sweeper less likely. Anything with tokens or copying requires too much text.

Low sales?

That's the ticket.

The Commander precons are for casual play but were massively popular so they're doing more of that sort of thing. Yes one of the precons did have Scavenging Ooze but the stuff sold like hotcakes before people even realized it was good in Legacy (and it wasn't playable in Modern/Standard). So we're getting more of those this year, and I have a feeling we'll see it every two years or so. A full set of precons every year might be a little too much, so I think the off years will have supplemental product like the Commander's Arsenal (though without the excessive supply issues).

Planechase precons also seem to have been reasonably popular though I suspect a large part of that was due to Baleful Strix and Shardless Agent. They've only done two of these in 4 years though so I think that's a sustainable rate... maybe they'll release another one in 2014 or 2015.

Archenemy was a bit of a bust so I don't expect we'll see that again unless it goes through a re-work.

Beyond that, there's the new MTG Conspiracy trademark that hints at a new multiplayer variant. I would guess that it's a Bang! or Mafia style format with multiple hidden roles.

Exokell

Banned
I hope fucking thoughtseize is in this set, when morningtide was draftable in mtgo. The price of fucking thoughtseize never went down. Now its price is higher.

The duel decks are essentially the same thing as the premium decks minus the foils.

A friend of mine bought me a duel deck and it was total crud, IMO. Man it was bad. I hope some of the others are decent.

I do think that precons like Event Decks are a pretty good product. They are standard legal (when new) and someone walking into FNM without a deck could buy one and get in on the action.

The other precons are hit or miss and require some heavy tweaking. Perhaps fun for casual play but they aren't really all that exciting.

And I actually really liked the Duels of the Planeswalkers precons that they released.

I have Ears of the Elves – The Nissa Revane Deck and Teeth of the Predator – the Garruk Wildspeaker Deck. With minimal card additions they are very fun!
http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/dotpdecks/themedeck

kirblar

Izzet vs Golgari was pretty great.
It was actually ridiculous. Incredible alt-art Brainstorm, Isochron, Fire/Ice, GGT, Life from the Loam, Force Spike, Eternal Witness, Alt-Art Putrefy, all w/ the new border? MM did reduce some of the value, but at the time it was a steal.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The new Heroes vs. Monsters one is terribad though. Couldn't they have at least put a playable Titan like Primeval in there?

Jaeyden

It was actually ridiculous. Incredible alt-art Brainstorm, Isochron, Fire/Ice, GGT, Life from the Loam, Force Spike, Eternal Witness, Alt-Art Putrefy, all w/ the new border? MM did reduce some of the value, but at the time it was a steal.

This. So much value in this one.

Yeef

That's the ticket.

The Commander precons are for casual play but were massively popular so they're doing more of that sort of thing. Yes one of the precons did have Scavenging Ooze but the stuff sold like hotcakes before people even realized it was good in Legacy (and it wasn't playable in Modern/Standard). So we're getting more of those this year, and I have a feeling we'll see it every two years or so. A full set of precons every year might be a little too much, so I think the off years will have supplemental product like the Commander's Arsenal (though without the excessive supply issues).
They've mentioned in the past that they're moving commander decks to every year, because the originals were so popular. The only reason Arsenal exists is because they didn't have enough lead-time to make more decks last year.

f0rk

I'm definitely buying the Grixis commander pre con this year, I haven't played any EDH because of the weird ways some people treat the format but the vampire chick looks funny to fuck around with and it's my favourite shard.

Lucario

The new Heroes vs. Monsters one is terribad though. Couldn't they have at least put a playable Titan like Primeval in there?

Nah. Posting a summary of HvM's value on reddit got me downvoted to hell, with repies telling me to "be appreciative" and "stop buying products to resell" (wtf? that wasn't even profitable with Elspeth v Tezz until years after its release).

I'm pretty sure the reddit Magic community is completely delusional.

ultron87

Personally, I'd rather have a Duel Deck that is fun to play over one that is good value since those are fun to play with my more casual friends. It was certainly appreciated that Izzet vs Golgari was both. From looking at the deck lists HvM doesn't seem that interesting since it seems like it'll just be "aura'ed guys vs big creature slugfest".

bigkrev

The non-planeswalker DD's are a harder sell, especially because they normally need to turn a rare into a Mythic, and when it happens to a card that was printed in a Post-mythic world (see: Knight of the Reliquery), it feels like you are getting cheated.

Top Bottom