• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Was about to take the plunge and build maverick on modo until I saw wastelands are ~70 tix. Almost all of the other staples are cheap to dirt cheap except this. I'd no doubt get my money's worth out of many daily events but $280 on a playset of virtual cards is a little steep.

Value in tiny pieces of cardboard and value in virtual goods are both only as dependent as the market willing to pay for for them. If you will play with Wastelands IRL, is it not equally worrisome to pay for less cardboard then you'd find in the container of a Big Mac?

There is no spoon.

Was about to take the plunge and build maverick on modo until I saw wastelands are ~70 tix. Almost all of the other staples are cheap to dirt cheap except this. I'd no doubt get my money's worth out of many daily events but $280 on a playset of virtual cards is a little steep.

It makes me a little sad how much Wastelands are going for. I can't count how many of them I must've given away years ago. I bought 7 boxes of Tempest over the course of it's print run, and I only have 5 Wastelands left in my box of money cards. :(

rCIZZLE

Value in tiny pieces of cardboard and value in virtual goods are both only as dependent as the market willing to pay for for them. If you will play with Wastelands IRL, is it not equally worrisome to pay for less cardboard then you'd find in the container of a Big Mac?

There is no spoon.

Paying the same or more for virtual goods just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's the horrible value of modo limited that's made me a complete cheapskate when it comes to buying anything on there. Plus the vast majority of my physical collection has come from limited pools and prizes so plopping down $280+ for a playset is a little foreign to me. Doesn't help that I already own the exact deck I'd be building.

That said, not having to drive to weeklies and being able to get a ton of matches in against some of the best players on a daily basis is worth spending what amounts to an average standard deck.

gerg

At first I also thought that the artifact enchantment felt off, but the more I think about it the more I feel that it does exactly what you'd expect an enchanted artifact to do: Affect the game state while making specific interactions itself.

I guess their means of getting around the inherent 2-for-1 card advantage that can sometimes cost you when using Auras is to just print cards with the enchantment already on them. It's kinda clever, actually.

At first I also thought that the artifact enchantment felt off, but the more I think about it the more I feel that it does exactly what you'd expect an enchanted artifact to do: Affect the game state while making specific interactions itself.

The difference between artifacts and enchantments in terms of game play and such is already very fuzzy. Some artifacts "do things," while others just sit in play and give bonuses. Some enchantments "do things," while others just sit in play and give bonuses.

Making an "enchantment artifact" just seems to blur that line even more. I still don't know if I'll believe this until I see it spoiled on the mothership.

Man, I haven't been here in a while...

Anyone mind giving me a very quick run down of M14? I haven't followed it at all. Any good? Any super awesome cards, stuff that plays really well with RtR, real expensive things etc? Did slivers work out?

kirblar

Man, I haven't been here in a while...

Anyone mind giving me a very quick run down of M14? I haven't followed it at all. Any good? Any super awesome cards, stuff that plays really well with RtR, real expensive things etc? Did slivers work out?
Slivers failed because they got changed from something else into Slivers during development, causing a cascade of problems. Set's boring and limited is incredibly bad (Blue's the best color by a mile.)

An-Det

Slivers failed because they got changed from something else into Slivers during development, causing a cascade of problems. Set's boring and limited is incredibly bad (Blue's the best color by a mile.)

There is one big plus side though: only another month until we never have to do M14 limited again.

Crocodile

I dunno, I appreciate actually wanting to play Blue in a limited format. I feels like its been forever since I never actively wanted to play Blue through almost all of RTR block. I only really played the color if it was SUPER open as opposed to being a color I actively sought to draft.

I'm also not convinced M14 is an especially bad format. I will say though that it trends towards board stalls a little more often than I'd like. I also consider it a failure that the Sliver deck is basically undraftable. Like I could consistently draft Bloodthirst and Exalted decks (of different color combos) in M12 & M13. Drafting Slivers, of ANY color combo, is such a crapshoot in this format and requires massive luck, not skill. The Sliver density just isn't there and too many other random decks will snipe the non-terrible Slivers.

OnPoint

Liliana of the Veil appears to be dipping to a somewhat palatable price. At what point do we reach the 'buy-now-no-turning-back' price? It's like $35 right now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Liliana of the Veil appears to be dipping to a somewhat palatable price. At what point do we reach the 'buy-now-no-turning-back' price? It's like $35 right now.

I doubt it'll drop much lower then say $25. It's heavily played in both eternal formats. With any luck she'll be in a duel deck.

ultron87

I doubt it'll drop much lower then say $25. It's heavily played in both eternal formats. With any luck she'll be in a duel deck.

Sadly kind of late for that with their current Duel Deck pattern. I assume we'll get Gideon or Jace vs Domri next year (since Ral and Vraska would just be Izzet vs Golgari 2).

Or Jace vs Chandra 2. That could be kind of cool.

An-Det

very good question... I'd love an answer to this as well

Trade all the overhyped overpriced cards at the Theros release and prerelease for Liliana's. Unless she somehow gets a reprint, that's about when she'll be the lowest she'll ever be again.

I wish her price would drop on MTGO

Mythics on MTGO are so busted it's crazy. Batterskull is $30 right now. I need two of them. I can't imagine it going down until it gets reprinted, which won't happen unless it's in some special product at some point.

One of the local stores will have the From the Vault priced at $70 tomorrow.. I'm tempted to pick up four of them for the play set. :\
However since I'm not playing those formats, I may just pick up one just for the collectible aspect.

WanderingWind

One of the local stores will have the From the Vault priced at $70 tomorrow.. I'm tempted to pick up four of them for the play set. :\
However since I'm not playing those formats, I may just pick up one just for the collectible aspect.

I'll gladly buy one off you

OnPoint

I would also love to buy one off you.

It's kind of funny because another store sold out via preorders, and another is pricing theirs at $250. :\

I'll see what I can do, fellas. I'll be sending my wife in to assess the situation because I will be at work.

WanderingWind

It's kind of funny because another store sold out via preorders, and another is pricing theirs at $250. :\

I'll see what I can do, fellas. I'll be sending my wife in to assess the situation because I will be at work.

OnPoint would just sell it to support his crack habit. I will play with mine.

Just sayin'

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'll gladly give you a hamburger Thursday for a copy today.

You bring the duck.

WanderingWind

I'm not buying packs like I used to, I swear. Ask my probation officer! Just need a hit... just one... hit...

I mean, it was fine when you were crackin' Eldrazi packs, but M14? Buying packs of a core set? On a Tuesday?

Can't you see how far you've fallen??

kirblar

Seriously, if you have the cash, buy as many as possible.

OnPoint

I mean, it was fine when you were crackin' Eldrazi packs, but M14? Buying packs of a core set? On a Tuesday?

Can't you see how far you've fallen??

Just can't tell which shit is cut and impure at my level. I need help man, help!

I did just trade four Blood Artist for an Ulamog tho, no lie.

WanderingWind

I got 4 Blood Artist with your name on them...

See, blindrocket, you clearly can't trust a shark like OnPoint! He'll trade the FtV to some kid for his entire collection of "old, crappy cards his dad gave him back in 95 with some stupid mox or flowers or some shit"

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

OnPoint

See, blindrocket, you clearly can't trust a shark like OnPoint! He'll trade the FtV to some kid for his entire collection of "old, crappy cards his dad gave him back in 95 with some stupid mox or flowers or some shit"

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM

Man I want it to put in my collection! I've been playing since Dual Lands were standard legal (or type 2, or whatever the hell it used to be called), this thing actually has some sentimental value to me, even if some of the choices were awful. I'll sit on it like this fat booster box of Worldwake on my shelf :)

WanderingWind

I bought 3 boxes of Modern Masters, each with the thought that I'd sit them on a shelf.

I opened and played sealed with all of them. lol

OnPoint

I'm sitting on one box of MM. I have a bad taste in my mouth from the two that I opened. Someday it will flip to get me the 'goyfs and Bobs I didn't get.

Fuckers.

OnPoint

I have 3 Forces, 1 'Goyf and 0 Bobs. I also want them for playing purposes.

I regret that we didn't meet in real life before you stopped living here.

WanderingWind

I have 3 Forces, 1 'Goyf and 0 Bobs. I also want them for playing purposes.

I regret that we didn't meet in real life before you stopped living here.

I know right? We coulda hung out, got shitfaced on cheap Canadian beer, watched the Bills lose and then played Magic until our wives got sick of our shit and made us come home.

zoukka

lXkDhJl.jpg

This play by my opponent made my day :D

Never was a serious Magic player, and I haven't played since like Odyssey or Mirrodin or whatever. Old friend of mine wanted to learn how to play so I bought a few packs this week. He insisted on playing black, so I picked my second favorite color, white. And the last pack I opened this week had an Archangel of Thune in it.

So I have a rules question: if I have a Staff of the Sun Magus out and play the Archangel, does the +1/+1 ability trigger? I've been assuming it does not, but it has not come up yet in a game either.

ultron87

So I have a rules question: if I have a Staff of the Sun Magus out and play the Archangel, does the +1/+1 ability trigger? I've been assuming it does not, but it has not come up yet in a game either.

Since the Staff triggers on the spell's casting you'll get the life before the Archangel hits the field. So she won't be around yet to see you gain the life and give counters.

Top Bottom